Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

excited for Heavenly Delusion, looks like it's getting all the production values

i have like 6 or 7 continuing shows somehow, so i'm kinda glad so much of the season is milquetoast romance stuff i dont care about

I've got like 17 shows on my list but I will absolutely drop at least 10 of them within a week or two. Hyped the most for Birdie Wing and Gundam coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Black Stones posted:

I usually am fine with fan-service but the president just always feels way out of place. So the cousin kind being president-lite I can deal with. She’s also got the crazy eyes which gets me laughing every time.

Pretty much here. The President always sucked but her cousin takes out the tedious parts and keeps the manic lunatic intensity and supportiveness. Strict upgrade in every way.

Uzaki I could not handle because it felt too much like the male lead never changed. Naoto meaningfully changing and growing a spine in a, for a romcom, record time is Nagatoro’s strongest suit.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Excited for:

Oshi no Ko
Birdie Wing s2 (still need to finish s1)
Edomae Elf (Otaku Elf)
Jigokuraku (Hell's Paradise)
Gundam Witch From Mercury S2
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! (The Megumin Prequel spinoff for Konosuba)

Looks interesting:

Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers
Ousama Ranking: Yuuki no Takarabako
Skip and Loafer
Tengoku Daimakyou

There's some other good stuff in there like Mashle, Rokudou, and Tonikaku Kawaii season 2 as well.

Overall a really stacked season.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll also probably check the first couple of eps of the new pokemon series just to see how different it is without Satoshi/Ash

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pootybutt posted:

They'll absolutely still make movies w Ash

Though to be fair, I think the movies became a separate continuity a while ago

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Julias posted:

Excited for:

Oshi no Ko

What's the deal with Oshi no Ko? I didn't read the manga and was kind of eh on the synopsis/trailer but it seems like people are hype for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the series pretty quickly shifts into show business drama and the initial premise/trailer is only the first 10 chapters or so

like it obviously still has an influence on the later stuff but the reincarnation element is more setup than the entire hook

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 12, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah it's not so much a fake out as it is barely scratching the surface of what the series is about and what happens in it. And even Endorph's post isn't really giving the whole game away here.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

the series pretty quickly shifts into show business drama and the initial premise/trailer is only the first 10 chapters or so

like it obviously still has an influence on the later stuff but the reincarnation element is more setup than the entire hook

Julias posted:

Yeah it's not so much a fake out as it is barely scratching the surface of what the series is about and what happens in it. And even Endorph's post isn't really giving the whole game away here.

Yeah I figured I was missing a piece. Thanks all!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically you wouldnt know it from the trailer/initial premise but its a series with a lot to say about modern celeb culture, the slow death of things like tv and how the only real money left in it is desperately callous cashing in, how twitter/the internet makes petty drama way worse, etc. and it has some neat acting drama too. its also very funny.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain Oblivious posted:

Uzaki I could not handle because it felt too much like the male lead never changed.
Yeah dude's a comfortable himbo. You find out later that his dad is an rear end and kind of explains why he's so uninterested in stuff like having friends. But it's a damned slooooow burn getting there.

Waffleman_ posted:

Spring Season 2023: I'll Kill You (In Golf)
:perfect:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
On my list:
[Oshi no Ko] A new wild ride by Aka begins.
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! A Konosuba spinoff focused on Megumin
Edomae Elf (Otaku Elf) It is a comedy about an elf who is worshipped as the shrine's deity and has trouble being around people. Hijinks ensue.

Romance section (mostly rom-coms)
Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru is being done by MADHOUSE and directed by the same director as Ore Monogatari and Chihayafuru
Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia doesn't have any prominent staff highlights other than being done by Lidenfilms so the animation work will at least be rock solid. The source material is from an author that does very good romcom stuff though. It wont be anything explosive, but it's something that should float to the top in an even slightly above average season.
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu (The Dangers in My Heart) source material from the Mistudomoe creator.
Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru. (My Clueless First Friend) Looks cute. Author also does the Kakegurui (Kari) 4-koma
Niehime to Kemono no Ou (Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts) A Shoujo romance drama with sub-themes or racism and discrimination.
Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! {Yuri Is My Job!} Yuri romance drama. The main character starts off relatively annoying, but gets better.

I'll wait on a trip report for THE MARGINAL SERVICE. It may or may not be my cup of tea in spite of the sheer amount of Man SERVICE it's putting forward.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

GateOfD posted:

when are they gonna release a timeskip epilogue for Ash

where's he's married to Misty and sending their kid off on his/her own adventure

I want a pokemon series starring Larry.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Crazy how Spring 2023 will have both the lesbian gundam show and Witch from Mercury

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spring Season 2023: The Lesbian Gundam Show and Witch From Mercury

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Waffleman_ posted:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Waffleman_ posted:

lol i like this

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

G-Witch is the only thing that's a must watch.

Tengoku Daimakyou could be good if it's done well but the premise has been done before.

My Home Hero is either going to be a cool thriller or some vigilante-fetish poo poo.

I vaguely remember that Mashle is a shounen jump series that's still running, so maybe it'll get the MHA/Demon Slayer treatment and be good.

Ranking of Kings burned me so bad I don't know if I even care anymore but I'll give it a shot.

Also.... "Fascinated by murder and all things macabre, Kyoutarou daydreams of acting out his twisted fantasies on his unsuspecting classmates — but an encounter with Anna Yamada, the gorgeous class idol, lights a spark in the darkness of his heart."

Even by anime standards this made me do a double-take for how cracked out the premise is. A romcom for serial killers?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nephthys posted:

Also.... "Fascinated by murder and all things macabre, Kyoutarou daydreams of acting out his twisted fantasies on his unsuspecting classmates — but an encounter with Anna Yamada, the gorgeous class idol, lights a spark in the darkness of his heart."

Even by anime standards this made me do a double-take for how cracked out the premise is. A romcom for serial killers?

this was my exact reaction to this show lol

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is such a weird premise I am curious to see how it goes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Could just be the old 'misanthropic chuuni learns how to like people again after meeting a cute girl' premise. There's a few of those.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i hope the twist is that she turns out to be an actual serial killer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Could just be the old 'misanthropic chuuni learns how to like people again after meeting a cute girl' premise. There's a few of those.

It's literally this. The initial premise of him being a giant edgelord falls away after a few chapters. He's still a socially awkward dork who thinks sword keychains are cool and tells himself that he's a weird outsider compared to his normie classmates.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

It's literally this. The initial premise of him being a giant edgelord falls away after a few chapters. He's still a socially awkward dork who thinks sword keychains are cool and tells himself that he's a weird outsider compared to his normie classmates.

Oh, thats less odd/interesting. The myanimelist version made it seem like he was genuinely planning to kill people but I guess it was edgy and boring instead of edgy and insane.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

He's still a socially awkward dork who thinks sword keychains are cool

He's right.

Until they poke a hole in your pocket and fall.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think heavenly delusion is in disney jail so it will probably not air immediately here

i wanna see otaku elf and the one that looks like Kimi ni Todoke for kids

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

AlternateNu posted:

I still find it funny how much that ship was pushed by western localizers when there's like zero evidence of it in the Japanese material.

Blame the Pokémon 2000 movie

Also didn’t read the konosuba title closely, didn’t know it was a spin-off one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pokemon 2000 dub also gave us "Chosen One, more like the Frozen One!" so it's all good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Me as a child listening to 2BA Master and then

this fuckin' poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6f6DWp7Nk

Song doesn't even have anything to DO with Pokemon it's just a generic love song! Not even a fun one for kids to listen to!!!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
oh god

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i think heavenly delusion is in disney jail so it will probably not air immediately here

🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Pokemon 2000 dub also gave us "Chosen One, more like the Frozen One!" so it's all good.

tfw 6 year old me gets hit with the "the Earth shall turn to Ash" reveal

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the third movie had "I haven't seen this many letters since my last personal ad"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eric Stuart was the best James and knew exactly what he was doing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

First Movie > 3 > 2000 > Jirachi > Heroes > Deoxys > 4ever > Mystery of Mew > Temple of the Sea > that one direct to video Mewtwo one that no one talks about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dtv Mewtwo one wasn't half bad. It was cool seeing Mewtwo try to let his convent of clones live peacefully away from humans rather than genocide them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wasn't there one where Mewtwo was in it but it was like

a different Mewtwo somehow

and it was a girl

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how about that Detective Pikachu movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was perfectly good. A little simple, but a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't there one where Mewtwo was in it but it was like

a different Mewtwo somehow

and it was a girl

huh