Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

This is Biddy.

She’s been doing a thing this last month or so where she keeps waking me up earlier and earlier in the morning. She’ll lick my face and meow loudly. Even though she’ll run to her food bowl if I get up, there’s usually plenty in it. I think she actually just wants to cuddle? She’ll sit by me and purr like a lawnmower if I pet her, but she does that all the time anyway.

Do I just gotta be the bad guy and banish her from my room? I hate doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You gotta ignore her whatever that takes.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Either that or banish her, yeah :(

One day I'll work on keeping my bedroom door open, and the long slow process of being woken up by and ignoring my cats

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
finally found someone who can help my neighborhood cats get fixed. trapper came by today and immediately caught all the outside ones. indoor/outdoor friendly cat though, he could sense poo poo was going on and wasn't having it. took awhile to get him into a carrier and had to do it mildly by force (just kind of wrapped a blanket around him). was hoping he would cooperate willingly. poor guy. but anyway they should all get checked out, fixed, whatnot and be back after some post operation healing. i'm hoping the lady cat isn't already pregnant, but i guess we'll see.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pregnant cats can still get spayed, although I dunno if there's a cutoff point in gestation where vets can't do it safely -- a pregnant cat that's not visibly pregnant, though, should be able to get fixed no issue.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah they said if she was they would hang onto her and see if they can home the kittens. she kind looks like she could be, but she also...kind of always does? hard to say.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm just ranting because I'm kinda pissed.

The stray "school cat." I was trying to get them to go take her to get her vaccinated and tested for diseases because that's the basic thing you do when you take in a stray cat, I didn't take in the cat, they did. And I told them how important it is, because I have my cats at home, feline parvo sticks around, and it's just what you should do.

But they take in this cat and no one knows the first thing about cats and they just think "wow feed the cat food students like cats" and so no one does it. No one takes this cat to get tested or vaccinated. So eventually I'm like "I'm doing this" so I'm there carrying this stray cat who is totally not happy with it and has clearly been a stray for maybe her whole life, walking into the vet myself and getting all that done, trying to explain to the vet "this is not my cat this is an insane situation with my school where they half adopted a stray" while the vet demands we call my wife to make sure she's ok with it (Why would she not be? I'm not taking this cat home! This is not my cat! She would demand the cat gets tested too, which she did when he called.)

Walking the cat back. Because no one is a responsible adult besides me.

They say they'll get her fixed but I now kinda think that's just a thing they're gonna keep saying but no one will do. And then we'll see what happens when she goes into heat. I'm gonna try to explain to them that that's a thing that will happen and that will not be conducive to a good classroom environment but, I dunno.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I recommend finding a local charity that fixes and releases strays and work with them instead of trying to do it yourself at a random vet.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I bought what I thought was sterilized purina pro plan for cats and it’s sterilized purina pro plan dry food renal plus. One of my cats was eating the regular renal purina and is fine and I’m not worried as much, but for the other two boys, I’m petrified. One just got over a bout of crystals, and the other we’re watching his weight.

Do I return this or can I feed it to them? They should be through it within a month or so, but I don’t want to jeopardize their health. I’m thinking it’s ok, but I might just call the vet (fffffuck)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I recommend finding a local charity that fixes and releases strays and work with them instead of trying to do it yourself at a random vet.

The decisions already been made without me, the school adopted the stray and she just half lives in our office now.

They didn't decide to fully adopt her where there's someone who, you know, is responsible for her. They just decided to give her a name and let her be here as much as she wants (which is now almost all the time because there's always food there) so she just sleeps on the couch in the office, but she's still very much a stray, if that makes sense.

I can look for someone to help but central China isn't much for animal charities. The only one I know is the very loose foreigner pet group we do pet charity through, we do do stuff with finding strays homes and pooling money to buy pets from abusive owners (the laws, or really how the laws are enforced, are not on our side in China and that's the only way) but we are not equipped to be like an actual cat organization that handles getting strays fixed and stuff.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 8, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, depressed person who never learned to really keep things clean in a proper manner here. I've been noticing the cat hair is getting absolutely out of control in my house lately. I don't really know the best way to go about dealing with it. I can't even really tell where it's at if that makes sense, it just seems like random surfaces will just wind up either having cat hair all over them, or they won't, but if I touch them cat hair will get all over me.

Anyway, because my relatively new house has hard flooring, I've not really bothered with a vacuum yet so I don't have one. Will just running a vacuum over every surface I can be effective? I figured I'd ask before I spent money on one. Is there any thing else I should know about that might help the battle with cat hair? I have some of those sticky rollers. They work merely okay at the best of times for specific things like clothes you are wearing but seem to suck for actually dealing with a lot of hair. They certainly won't get cat hair off the couch or even work for laundry unless you are fine with rolling clothes for hours.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 8, 2023

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Brush your cat a lot. Then she'll shed less hair.

Vacuuming the floor should also help, but if it's all hardwood / tiles, sweeping will probably have the same effect. If you have a lot of furniture or clutter, be aware that cat hair can collect under or behind things and come out at surprising times.

Get a brush with rubber bristles for your upholstery, running your hands over it with rubber gloves on also works.

For cat hair stuck on clothes, there's a sort of brush that's covered in a velvety fabric that's been working pretty well for me. But some cat hair is unavoidable. Good luck!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I feel like vacuuming is better if only because cat fur can be incredibly light and after you're done you've swept up 80% of the fur while launching the remaining 20% into the air to land on another surface. I'll sweep, then a half hour later, sweep again once the dust literally settles.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, sweeping only gets the larger cat hair tumbleweeds, you can see the small ones blasting off all over the place. Plus I have a couch, rug, and two beds that I was hoping I could vacuum to get the bulk of hair, and then use the little tools to clean up. Can a modern household vacuum cleaner deal with hair pretty well or should I get a shop vac type thing instead?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a bagless Dyson and it seems pretty good at picking up hair from my tile floor. Then it has like a pet hair attachment I can use on rugs and poo poo. I pretty much assume that even if I can't visibly see it, there is probably cat hair there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd recommend a robot vacuum. Run that thing once a day and you'll keep most of the hair off the floor with a lot less effort. You can get a lower end model that works just fine for less than $200 now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd recommend a robot vacuum. Run that thing once a day and you'll keep most of the hair off the floor with a lot less effort. You can get a lower end model that works just fine for less than $200 now.

How loud are those things now and also how cat-resilient are they? Quill would absolutely take one to church if it just started up and she saw it moving around.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

How loud are those things now and also how cat-resilient are they? Quill would absolutely take one to church if it just started up and she saw it moving around.

I suppose it depends on the model, but while not as loud as a plug-in vacuum, mine is loud enough that my cats prefer not to be in the room with it. But I can comfortably watch TV in a room while it's going.

My cats haven't tried to attack it, but I don't see how they could do any real damage if they did - it feels too heavy for a cat to flip and seems to be made of sturdy plastic. The main issue you'd run into if your cat won't leave it alone is that the cat will interfere with the wall sensor and keep it from cleaning properly.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 8, 2023

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My cat once woke me up by walking on the robot vacuum until it turned on :mad:

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Greetings.

My Torte part Persian cat recently moved in with me after her human mom passed away. Took her to the groomer to get washed and given a lions cut because when her hair gets too long the oils from her body begin picking up every speck of dirt and cat litter. Also using said liter box becomes hamulating as she ends up "going" on herself to some degree.

Asking my fellow Persian owners, how frequently do you take yours in for grooming and it is possible to overbrush a cat?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Don’t have personal experience with Persians but one of my favorite TikTok accounts is a cat groomer who mainly does Persians/Himalayans:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWsFYPq/

In the video she says most are on a 4-8+ week schedule, but longer if they’re getting lion cuts or teddy bear cuts.

W/r/t grooming, I think that depends on the brush you’re using? Some people itt have talked about over-grooming issues with the Furminator brush. Other brushed just pull out loose & damaged hair.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also in terms of laundry, I have always just flung it in the washer then moved it along to the dryer without doing anything special. Google says to predry your clothes with a dryer sheet to loosen the bulk of the cat hair, then add some vinegar in with the wash. Does that work? Washing gets a certain amount of cat hair off, but they always come out of the dryer with a decent bit still visible. I don't use anything other than detergent in the wash at the moment. I'm started to get really upset with my lifestyle and trying to figure out the most effective ways to deal with it without wasting time(I work like 60 hours a week) and money on a bunch of stuff that's ineffective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

and it is possible to overbrush a cat?

It absolutely is, but it also depends on the brush you use. A furminator can be used too much, if you're super regular about it once or twice a week, but I'd aim for a once a week average. The traditional wire brushes are probably fine to go bonkers with but keep an eye for skin irritation. An equigroomer you can allegedly brush as much as you want but I figure there's someone out there that is overly obsessive with brushing and managed to overdo it. But we'd be talking an hour+ per day.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Pregnant cats can still get spayed, although I dunno if there's a cutoff point in gestation where vets can't do it safely -- a pregnant cat that's not visibly pregnant, though, should be able to get fixed no issue.

No real cut off point, it can be done at any stage of gestation.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Some vets will refuse to spay a cat that is pregnant. Presumably the closer she is to giving birth, the more vets will want to refuse. But in principle it can be done.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, depressed person who never learned to really keep things clean in a proper manner here. I've been noticing the cat hair is getting absolutely out of control in my house lately. I don't really know the best way to go about dealing with it. I can't even really tell where it's at if that makes sense, it just seems like random surfaces will just wind up either having cat hair all over them, or they won't, but if I touch them cat hair will get all over me.

Anyway, because my relatively new house has hard flooring, I've not really bothered with a vacuum yet so I don't have one. Will just running a vacuum over every surface I can be effective? I figured I'd ask before I spent money on one. Is there any thing else I should know about that might help the battle with cat hair? I have some of those sticky rollers. They work merely okay at the best of times for specific things like clothes you are wearing but seem to suck for actually dealing with a lot of hair. They certainly won't get cat hair off the couch or even work for laundry unless you are fine with rolling clothes for hours.

Get a wireless standing vacuum cleaner (there's cheaper ones than the Dyson out there, read the reviews for how they handle pet hair), they are very easy to use and from experience I can say it lowers the barrier for maintenance cleaning. Mine also has an upholstery attachment which works for getting hair off furniture. We also have a robot vacuum that we used to run every day while we were at work but now that we work from home a lot more we haven't been using it.
Brush your cat regularly and use a sticky roller for clothes before washing them, my long-hair loves the glove-type brush and it's harder to over-groom with that since it just grabs loose hair. Like with everything, the type of brush depends on what your cat will tolerate/like but don't use a cutting brush like the furminator regularly. I have one for when shedding season starts and that's about the only time I'll use it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat has hella dandruff. The weather has been changing a lot and we've been turning the heating on and off, so maybe that's what's irritating her skin. But is there some type of food / supplement that might help her stop shedding skin flakes everywhere? She doesn't seem uncomfortable or itchy, so it's mostly an aesthetic problem. But maybe it's a sign of some underlying issue?

She's a three year old longhair cat who is always indoors and eats only dry food. She doesn't have any known conditions or special dietary needs or medications.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

pidan posted:

My cat has hella dandruff. The weather has been changing a lot and we've been turning the heating on and off, so maybe that's what's irritating her skin. But is there some type of food / supplement that might help her stop shedding skin flakes everywhere? She doesn't seem uncomfortable or itchy, so it's mostly an aesthetic problem. But maybe it's a sign of some underlying issue?

She's a three year old longhair cat who is always indoors and eats only dry food. She doesn't have any known conditions or special dietary needs or medications.

How's the humidity in your home? Mine drops severely when the heating turns on and since we have a lot of plants and hard-wood floors and such, we run a humidifier in the winter. It also helps with dry and staticky cats!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My mom is no longer able to care for her cat and I've brought her (the cat) to my single bedroom apartment. Problem is, I already have a cat, and it's not going well.

They're both fixed lady cats. My cat is three, was adopted as a kitten, and has lived with dogs but she was never socialized with other cats. My mom's cat is older (I'm not sure exactly how old but I'm going to guess the better part of a decade), and lived for years in my mom's house with two other cats, her sister and an unrelated male.

I kept the separated for the first day (Thursday), one in the bedroom and one in the living room, smelling each other through the door. The second day I left the door open while my girlfriend and I were there to supervisor, and they'd hiss some but otherwise avoid each other, which I took as a good sign. The third day I left the apartment open while I was out for a few hours, and everything seemed fine when I returned - the cats seemed to have a few places they liked to hang out, and if their wandering brought them near each other they'd just sort of skirt around each other after some hissing.

But in the last couple days, and especially today, it's getting worse. My mom's cat, which is older and larger, started "walking down" my original cat. Today, my mom's cat even took a genuine swipe at my cat, twice. The last time, my mom's cat hit my cat in the kitchen, and chased her to the bedroom, and was starting to walk her down again. I didn't hurt my mom's cat, but I snuck up behind her, snatched her up, and separated them. It doesn't seem like my cat is hurt, maybe they didn't even actually touch each other.

I'd tried to use positive reinforcement - my girlfriend and I petting and playing with both cats while they're in the same room, defusing situations by distracting the cats when they start to have friction and, as a last resort, separating them with a poster board I had laying around. But, I'm worried that my mom's cat is getting more aggressive, and more physical - I'm worried it'll lead to worsening behavior, that the more they fight the more they'll see each other as enemies or threats.

I'd told myself I was going to be patient and wait at least 2 weeks to see if they started to tolerate each other, but I was sort of thinking it would more like the first two days, with mostly avoidance and some stand off hissing. I've gone back to keeping them completely separate, one in each room, but it's a shame because only one of them can sleep with us in the bed room and I know it's going to hurt my mom's cat, who is intensely physical and loving (with people) and will absolutely want to sleep in our bed every night (whereas my cat only does it occasionally).

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm prepared for this to take weeks, or even a month, but I'm scared if I don't handle this well I'll take a situation that could have turned out OK and mismanage it until the cats can't live together.

Fake Edit: While I was typing this up my girlfriend found a little blood on the floor where they last fought. Neither cat is acting hurt and I can't even find any marks on either, but I guess my mom's cat actually did attack my cat.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 14, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You need to re do the introduction and take longer this time. Keep the door shut with no interaction for longer than a day. Maybe do it over the course of one or two weeks. It sucks, but if they're drawing blood it's not good.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 14, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

With Shaokao and Lychee, Lychee was vicious when we first brought him home. The introduction process though took weeks before we'd even let them be in the same room together.

And that's what I had always heard, weeks, not days. They're fine now.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My 1 introduction experience went really easy so ymmv, but I kept the cats totally separate for an entire week. I have a 1 bedroom so I had the new cat in my bedroom and the resident in the rest of the apt. I introduced them over the course of 2.5 days (w/supervision) and it went so well I left them to sort it out overnight.

It’s already a process to introduce a cat to a new living situation, so I think it’s best to approach things one at a time. Let the new cat pick some spots they feel safe in their quarantined room. After they feel comfortable in that space open them up to the other cat (ideally during feedings and play sessions, so they can adjust to eachother while respecting the other’s space).

Best case scenario everyone gets along and they cuddle puddle & share stuff, worst case scenario one’s territory is the bedroom and the other’s the living room.

Just cuz I want to post my boys:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll do two weeks of introduction, not one. I'll also use an intermediate step of having the door cracked and a screen for "face time" with a barrier.

Here's my cat, Melody, eating breakfast with my mother's cat, Charlie, on the other side of the door.

I'll also swap who is in the bedroom or the living room each day. I have a litter box and water in both sections of the apartment.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

On Thursday of last week I adopted a bonded pair of cats. A pair of orange kitty sisters.

This is a big change for me. I've owned 2 cats before but not at the same time. My first cat arrived at home and pretty much instantly took over the house. Zero hiding, zero trepidation. Second cat hid for ~3 hours or so then that was it.

These cats have been probably a more 'typical' experience. They've spent the better part of the past days hiding and very, very slowly acclimating to their new home. I've been kind of a nervous wreck mostly because I've been worried I got new cat too soon after the old cat passed, and because I have anxiety in general.

Things are slowly improving though. After 3 days in 1 room they had stopped hiding and started being slightly more sociable (Coming over for pets but still being nervous anytime I'd shift around), so I let them out of the room and they've been roaming the house. Still skittish but there's improvements. Last night one of the two kitties jumped up on the bed wanting attention. I gave her pats but she was still obviously nervous.

Anyway, I have a few minor issues I'm not 100% Sure how to approach.

1) Sociable cat is barfing a lot. This isn't really surprising because she's stressed out from the move (Normal) and transitioning to a new food. I don't know what the shelter fed them, I tried stinky wet food but they wouldn't touch it. They seem to be eating the dry food I have provided them (grain-free high protein food). But even so a new diet probably has caused upset stomach, especially with new house stress. Just wondering how much time to give it before starting to worry?

2) One of the kitties is sneezing a lot. Not sure why. Haven't seen any other issues to cause worry, just sneezing. What should I be on the lookout for in case it's something to be worried about?

3) Sociable kitty needs claws trimmed. But I'm being slow and cautious about building up trust and don't want to cause even MORE stress. How long do you guys think is a reasonable amount of time to give it before I try to trim down claws?

khy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 14, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

khy posted:

1) Sociable cat is barfing a lot. This isn't really surprising because she's stressed out from the move (Normal) and transitioning to a new food. I don't know what the shelter fed them, I tried stinky wet food but they wouldn't touch it. They seem to be eating the dry food I have provided them (grain-free high protein food). But even so a new diet probably has caused upset stomach, especially with new house stress. Just wondering how much time to give it before starting to worry?

Simple answer: Call the shelter and ask. Try going back on that catfood and see what happens. Usually you want to transition slowly to a new food.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Our last street cat rescue, I trimmed his nails after the first full day he spent inside, quarantined in our bathroom. He wasn't up to full strength and was so skittish that he wasn't willing to be aggressive. I figured it best to introduce this future torture early on so he'd be used to it.

After he filled out, the initial period of him having his strength back and still getting use to being spooked by the sight of our other cats through the door, I was reluctant to cut his nails again because he was swiping a lot and on edge. So I had to surprise him with the nail trimming. Right after he ate, or drank water, I'd swoop him up and try and trim one paw and then let him go before he could get annoyed.

Now he doesn't mind at all. He's also learned how to play gently and is more careful not to use nails. We will probably finally start acclimating him with the others this month. We've had him since August now.

Jack B Nimble, try and get Charlie's nails trimmed stat, since he's the aggressor.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

khy posted:

2) One of the kitties is sneezing a lot. Not sure why. Haven't seen any other issues to cause worry, just sneezing. What should I be on the lookout for in case it's something to be worried about?

Kennel cough. Very common among new adoptees coming from shelters. Usually nothing to be worried about, it's pretty much the feline version of the common cold, but monitor it and make a vet appt if it gets worse or goes on for a long time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kramdar posted:

Our last street cat rescue, I trimmed his nails after the first full day he spent inside, quarantined in our bathroom. He wasn't up to full strength and was so skittish that he wasn't willing to be aggressive. I figured it best to introduce this future torture early on so he'd be used to it.

After he filled out, the initial period of him having his strength back and still getting use to being spooked by the sight of our other cats through the door, I was reluctant to cut his nails again because he was swiping a lot and on edge. So I had to surprise him with the nail trimming. Right after he ate, or drank water, I'd swoop him up and try and trim one paw and then let him go before he could get annoyed.

Now he doesn't mind at all. He's also learned how to play gently and is more careful not to use nails. We will probably finally start acclimating him with the others this month. We've had him since August now.

Jack B Nimble, try and get Charlie's nails trimmed stat, since he's the aggressor.

Thank you, she's a very well behaved cat around people so that shouldn't be hard. She's soooo fat but I'm feeding intentionally instead of just leaving food out and I'm so happy to see that, even though she's fat and not a kitten, she still loves to play, so I'm hoping to get her looking and feeling better. Once she's much more acclimated, I'm goin to walk her with a harness like I do with Melody. I took Melody to the beach the other day and she was in love, warm sand and interesting creatures everywhere.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Ah, I didn't catch that Charlie was a female. My mistake. Haven't known a Charlie since my dad's old cat (male tuxedo). He was more my stepmom's cat, but he preferred to poop in my dad's shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my cat seems to only wanna sleep and occasionally go outside. I hope he's getting some exercise out there, but I would like to find something he'd enjoy indoors to play with too. I've tried your usual basic cat toys, balls lasers etc, but he doesn't seem too interested in any so far. any somewhat more esoteric suggestions for like a game I can play with him?

I might have asked something similar before and forgot, sorry if so!