Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Alright, two episodes down yesterday. I can tell this show is going to violate my brain and I'm trying to prepare for it. The animation is such a treat to see, especially from 1995 it's incredible.

I already have so many questions I'm sure I'll get answers to down the road, but I will say shinjis robot seems awfully organic which has me thinking it's some kind of angel based weapon.

I'll try to get a few more in this weekend!

I am genuinely excited to see someone experience this for the first time. It's been awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am genuinely excited to see someone experience this for the first time. It's been awhile

Big agree, this is the content I crave.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

-46h is a really good and enjoyable extra. It's not very long but helps flesh out things a little more and has some fantastic imagery, with a lot of work and passion clearly having gone into it. Being mindful of spoilers but it was good to have one of the new characters fleshed out, along with Asuka & Mari getting a bit more development and some additional glimpses of how terrifying the world had become. They did a great job imo and if you enjoyed Rebuild it's definitely worth watching just to get a little more of that world.

It does make the desire for the teased movie filling in the events between 2.22 & 3.33 even stronger though. Maybe one day. In 20 years?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Episode 3 down, it was nice getting a little info on what second impact did to the planet. I don't think they've mentioned why or how the angels showed up (were they in the meteor?) so I'm hoping that comes up soon. Otherwise, yay shinjis made friends at school! Surely they'll all have long fruitful lives.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They haven’t yet and it’s complicated you can go down some crazy rear end wiki holes if you like. The show is an extension of the creators emotional state at the time it was being made and it’s more of a feels type experience than an actual coherent story.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kingtheninja posted:

Episode 3 down, it was nice getting a little info on what second impact did to the planet. I don't think they've mentioned why or how the angels showed up (were they in the meteor?) so I'm hoping that comes up soon. Otherwise, yay shinjis made friends at school! Surely they'll all have long fruitful lives.

It's been awhile since we've had someone new react, please post for each episode you watch :D

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Look, this is an infamously depressing anime about psychologically traumatized teenagers. What makes you think they wouldn't be fine?

(MAJOR SPOILERS FOR VERY LATE CONTENT)

Of course, the funny thing is that they pretty much do. It's unknown if they get out of the EoE ocean, but in the movies, Touji and Kensuke are respected pillars of the community with happy lives and successful interpersonal relationships.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Finished 4 and 5 yesterday. It's really interesting watching shinji so far. He doesn't want to pilot the giant robot, he has this kind of whatever you say attitude, then resolves to come back and do it because of how important it is.

Usually I really dislike these "I don't want to fight" episodes but having one so early and (possibly?) resolving the issue in one episode worked for me. If they come back to it later that's fine, just give me a little action in between.

Episode 5 was finally a chance to learn more about rei and apparently she idolizes shinjis dad. In already seeing the weird family dynamics between the three even though I'm guessing shinjis dad is doing the char thing of emotionally manipulating a young girl because he needs her as a useful weapon.

More to watch today I think!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

How soon before you decide if your team rei or team asuka

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GateOfD posted:

How soon before you decide if your team rei or team asuka

Probably would have to wait until she shows up, and then have time to get to know her

So...probably won't decide for another 13-14 episodes

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Episode 6, holy poo poo! I really love the different style of angels used so far. Having to come up with different methods for beating them is way more interesting than just repeatedly punching or shooting things every time. I actually had a "oh poo poo" moment when the first cannon shot missed (in such a cool way, too) so there was legit tension for me.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
God the angel designs really are so genius. Love the progression of them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Episode 6, holy poo poo! I really love the different style of angels used so far. Having to come up with different methods for beating them is way more interesting than just repeatedly punching or shooting things every time. I actually had a "oh poo poo" moment when the first cannon shot missed (in such a cool way, too) so there was legit tension for me.

This is the sequence that gets most elevated by the rebuild films so enjoy catching that the second time around.

I spoilered this depending on how much you know about the sequence of productions going in. If you know nothing, revisit it later, if you do have a passing understanding of the productions in Eva that make up the main continuity, enjoy a fun note to look forward to.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Episode 7, and a little more info regarding second impact. Though I'm still wondering where these new angels keep coming from.

It's interesting seeing other groups coming up with Eva like robots. Again though, unless it just happens to be a style choice for the show these robots are very alien looking and I'm wondering if nerv has some ties to angel tech and if this other company does also.

Really glad misato didn't bite it, she's gotta be the most energetic person in this show.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Probably would have to wait until she shows up

Blows my mind every time that such an iconic character doesn't show up until episode eight!

Modern shows have the cast assembled by three and are killing off a main character by then.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I never understood how (major spoilers) team Rei could even be a thing. Not only does she not have feelings for Shinji but she's a clone of his mother? What is there to root for? I feel like the two teams are talking past each other because only one of the two makes any sense as someone for Shinji.

What does it actually mean to be team Rei?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It is not a shipping question.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Being team anyone when it comes to shipping or being a couple doesn't really make sense to me because everyone is horribly broken and needs therapy before they can start dating, cause it will just work terribly for everyone.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a lot of Eva Pilot Preference comes down to whether someone listened to the original language track or the english adaptation. in the intended product, rei is voiced by The Absolute GOAT, but it's an intentionally spare performance that it's easily overshadowed. Asuka has so much more sauce in the original. people who watch the english language adaptation tend to prefer rei by default due to the alternative.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tiffany Grant is fine.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TenementFunster posted:

a lot of Eva Pilot Preference comes down to whether someone listened to the original language track or the english adaptation. in the intended product, rei is voiced by The Absolute GOAT, but it's an intentionally spare performance that it's easily overshadowed. Asuka has so much more sauce in the original. people who watch the english language adaptation tend to prefer rei by default due to the alternative.

i'm going to need to see a scientific poll with a statistically significant sample size to back this up before i accept it as fact

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

you are the only person that thinks this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm going to need to see a scientific poll with a statistically significant sample size to back this up before i accept it as fact
i've been dutifully collecting Best Girl Data since 1998 and will eagerly report my findings in detail, including confidence intervals, as soon as I finish collating the results.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amanda Winn-Lee does tend to voice my favorite character in a lot of things, and Eva is no exception, but this is no slight on Grant or Asuka.

The OG Eva dub is far from perfect but I dunno if any of the main cast were bad.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
jk sadbrains like rei and everyone else likes asuka because she has such a great character arc. EoE is the best thing out of a lot of great things about Evangelion, and Asuka is the best thing out of a lot of great things in EoE

NikkolasKing posted:

Amanda Winn-Lee does tend to voice my favorite character in a lot of things, and Eva is no exception, but this is no slight on Grant or Asuka.

The OG Eva dub is far from perfect but I dunno if any of the main cast were bad.
the original production is incredible if only because Megumi Hayashibara was doing Rei in the morning and Lina Inverse in the afternoon. that's range, baby.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 14, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

I never understood how (major spoilers) team Rei could even be a thing. Not only does she not have feelings for Shinji but she's a clone of his mother? What is there to root for? I feel like the two teams are talking past each other because only one of the two makes any sense as someone for Shinji.

Movie spoilers as well as show:

Rei loves Shinji. Like, the fate of the world is shaped by the fact that she chooses Shinji over his dad, and that's even more emphasized in the Rebuild movies, where Shinji's love for Rei makes him set off the apocalypse, after a whole movie about their relationship.

The mom clone thing makes everything messier, but it also emphasizes how Shinji risks walking in his father's footsteps, and how Shinji's need for multiple kinds of love risks confusing them, since he and Rei have both experienced so little of what they need.

Of course, both teams lost in the end, if winning is defined as getting together with Shinji, but team Rei seems to have mostly settled into "She wound up happy somehow, so that's more than good enough" while huge chunks of Team Asuka are going increasingly mental convincing themselves that Shinji holding hands and running off into the sunshine with Mari after he and Asuka talked about how they've both moved on before saying goodbye forever is actually proof that they won and that he's going to hook up with Asuka any second now, so I think team Rei lost in a much less humiliating way.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

am i alone in that i enjoyed the original eva series.

but have had 0 interest in any of the rebuild movies?

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 14, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GateOfD posted:

what

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'll typically say subs over dubs for pretty much anything from Japan, and if I were to watch Evangelion for the first time today that would still probably be true.

But instead I watched it on public television in 1995-96 in the timeslot right before SBS could legally air late night eastern european sex comedies, so in my mind Spike Spencer is inseparably Shinji to the point I don't think I've even heard the Japanese voice acting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GateOfD posted:

but have had 0 series in any of the rebuild movies?

did you mean to say "0 interest"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yes, fixed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
personally on rewatches i tend to stick to subs, but the original english dub is how the characters still sound in my head

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if you enjoyed the original series, EoE, etc., not watching the rebuilds is a poor decision - especially now that you can watch them at your leisure instead of waiting ~20 years for them to come out like us old idiots

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Wave posted:

i don't disagree with your overall conclusion but Rei absolutely has feelings. literally the entire climax of the show + EoE happens because Gendo underestimates just how much she has feelings lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

TenementFunster posted:

if you enjoyed the original series, EoE, etc., not watching the rebuilds is a poor decision - especially now that you can watch them at your leisure instead of waiting ~20 years for them to come out like us old idiots

this. although you can skip the first rebuild if you want because it's just an uglier version of the first 5-6 episodes with a bunch of the cool stuff cut out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
one thing i felt the final rebuild movie did well was showing a version of rei emotionally connecting with people outside shinji and gendo. for me personally it helped get more of a grasp on her character, because her actions in eoe always felt like it hadn't fully been built up in the original series

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

this. although you can skip the first rebuild if you want because it's just an uglier version of the first 5-6 episodes with a bunch of the cool stuff cut out
or, alternatively, don't do that because It's Free Evangelion

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Leg posted:

Uglier is a bit of a new one for me. Worse, I've heard, but the whole movie budget minimal CG animation is generally talked up as the first Rebuild's main selling point. It's quite a good looking movie, even if it loses some of the cool techniques from the show.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm just guessing at the raw impression that Rebuild is just a retelling. It is kinda painful to witness or correct, since the best enjoyment of early Rebuild still stems from that assumption. Not watching or being invested in Rebuild at all because it's 'just a remake' would be some serious brainworms, but this is again just a shot in the dark.

The alternative is some weird complaint about one of the most meta-narrative'd works ever getting meta-narrative'd again.

If one has seen EoE and doesn't "hol' up..." at various random points in Rebuild 1 and 2 for that matter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

TenementFunster posted:

or, alternatively, don't do that because It's Free Evangelion

i would just watch rather watch the first 6 episodes again + the end credits scene on the moon.