Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They got the voice actress from Tamers back for Terriermon too, which is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

It also makes a lot of sense given that there's no way the protagonists could probably survive roaming blindly in the Digital world with just champion-level Digimon back then. It also makes Hokuto an even bigger deal that he managed to survive a whole year by himself.

It's also amusing because there are a lot of episodes that would have been totally unchanged by this information.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Looking forward to seeing Bloomlordmon in tonight's Ghost Game. He's got such a cool design.

However, in the meantime, some card game news:

They've announced a new banlist update! I have some strong opinions about what the list should be comprised of, but I believe they'll go for a more restrained list. I'm thinking Greymon X, GranKuwagamon (promo), and Weregarurumon X to 1, but maybe we'll be lucky and they'll limit (or ideally ban) Cool Boy and Hades Force.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Hades Force is overtuned like crazy but it really can't afford to go until we get better more widespread answers to tamers otherwise Xros and especially Hunters lol all over the meta. BT11 Greymon X should go as well as Cool Boy and HPD should finally just drop to 0.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Looking forward to seeing Bloomlordmon in tonight's Ghost Game. He's got such a cool design.

Unfortunately, the next episode isn't until the 19th. It was a two week hiatus.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Unfortunately, the next episode isn't until the 19th. It was a two week hiatus.

Well poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know exactly why the show had to take a hiatus out of curiosity?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

Do we know exactly why the show had to take a hiatus out of curiosity?

Marathons

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yep, preempted by other programming.

As for bans I'll be happy if they take DeathXmon out behind the shed and put two Ouryukens through its head. I also wouldn't be averse to gutting Cool Boy either, but given the Meta isn't particularly bad right now I hope they don't go too overboard.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Omnicrom posted:

As for bans I'll be happy if they take DeathXmon out behind the shed and put two Ouryukens through its head. I also wouldn't be averse to gutting Cool Boy either, but given the Meta isn't particularly bad right now I hope they don't go too overboard.

I don’t think the Meta is in a great place right now though, tbh. It was made crystal clear at Nationals that outside of Japan, there’s only a handful of decks even viable right now (besides the massively popular BWGX, you've got Xros Heart, Blue Flare, Grandis, for a few examples). When nearly half of all Top 32’s are BWGX though, it’s not a great look.

At the very least, I’d imagine that deck is getting a few key pieces nerfed or even fully banned. Cool Boy and Hades Force are the big offenders but I wouldn’t be surprised to see GreymonX in there as well. DeathXmon, being a SEC, I could go down to 1 or banned and we also saw that Hidden Power Discovered! had some good showings so I do wonder if they’ll finally just ban it altogether.

There’s a few other cards I could imagine being hit (promo Garurumon, Cerberusmon: Werewolf Mode, or some other X mons like Omnimon that added far more fuel to the X decks). We’re also just about a month out of BT-12 which gives some additional counters to BWGX and some additional support to other decks like Imperialdramon, Red Hybrid, and the last bit of current support for Xros Wars and new Hunters decks.

The Meta could be worse (BT-8/9 wasn’t that long ago) but if Bandai does a decent job of truly hitting needed cards, we hopefully will see a bigger mix of decks out there for play.

I’d personally like to see them go over the ban list and actually overhaul it so cards that aren’t major offenders anymore (which, could be argued that most anything older outside of HPD and Mega Digimon Fusion! isn’t the biggest of threats) could get reinstated.

I’ll also be interested to see how Ultimate Cup goes this month, since it’s “basically restricted” to 1 color decks (give or take) and what people come up with. And who knows, Worlds could end up not being a problem depending on what decks are brought to the table (and where Bandai decides the cut-off point should be for which sets are allowed).

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 12, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Seiyal posted:

I don’t think the Meta is in a great place right now though, tbh. It was made crystal clear at Nationals that outside of Japan, there’s only a handful of decks even viable right now (things like Xros Heart, Blue Flare, Grandis, for a few examples) and the hard counter to the biggest deck right now (BlackWarGreymonX) got itself nerfed before the launch of BT-10 (again, Xros Heart). When nearly half of all Top 32’s are BWGX, it’s not a great look.

The hard counter to BWGX is Grandis, not Xros Heart.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

King of Solomon posted:

The hard counter to BWGX is Grandis, not Xros Heart.

I knew I was gonna screw something up sorry, yes I meant Grandis. My small locals group has been discussing BWGX and Xros Heart lately as they've both been the big decks people are running atm so I mixed things up, apologies. Thanks for the heads up!

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 12, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Ultimate Cup format suuuuuucccckkkkkkssssss and is going to be a total mess since they killed a ton of not amazing anyway decks like Imperialdramon and Jesmon for no reason but left stuff like Ulforce and Bloomlord totally intact which are just going to run wild all over it.

The main things they probably need to hit are BT11 Greymon X for the insane acceleration it offers both right now and in BT12 where you can evolve into Metalgreymon for 1 cost, probably Cool Boy because he's always going to be a problematic card with X Antibody decks, and then work down from there. Hades Force is a nightmare card but it's kind of necessary to exist to handle stuff coming up like Hunters or BT13 Shinegreymon. Death X is kind of irrelevant against a lot of the top decks for the last few sets since it doesn't do poo poo to single stack decks or BWGX, but it's such a goddamn nuisance in any sort of lower power play setting that I'd rather see it gone then not.

Xros is still totally whacked because Save is such a fundamentally busted mechanic, but it's hard to really address what to do about it when outside of X4 it's more of a sum of all its parts being insane then just one particular card.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think it's cool that bandai is trying new stuff out with the ultimate cup. oh no how dare ulforce and bloomlord be good for a bit?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elfgames posted:

I think it's cool that bandai is trying new stuff out with the ultimate cup. oh no how dare ulforce and bloomlord be good for a bit?

I mean to be fair, Bloomlord was good before, and will be good again. Ulforce being one of the top dogs is cool though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Ultimate Cup format sucks and is insanely under thought out. Imperialdramon and Jesmon sure were tearing up the meta and had to be rendered irrelevant. Ulforce is a good deck and made top 32, the only reason we don’t see it more is the price and the BWGX matchup being hell. Bloomlord is also still a really good deck and going to constantly remain relevant.

I’m fine with messing around with the rules and formats but ultimate cups rules are a really dumb and uninteresting route to take that feels like they didn’t actually put any effort but the bare minimum into thinking about it.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

They took a vote for the Ultimate Cup format, we didn't end up there from nothing. I think it's fine as a format for a gimmick tournament, though certainly not as interesting as a lot of the other polled ideas were, but I do wish they'd determined and announced the rules before tickets went on sale.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RevolverDivider posted:

Nah Ultimate Cup format sucks and is insanely under thought out. Imperialdramon and Jesmon sure were tearing up the meta and had to be rendered irrelevant. Ulforce is a good deck and made top 32, the only reason we don’t see it more is the price and the BWGX matchup being hell. Bloomlord is also still a really good deck and going to constantly remain relevant.

I’m fine with messing around with the rules and formats but ultimate cups rules are a really dumb and uninteresting route to take that feels like they didn’t actually put any effort but the bare minimum into thinking about it.

On the other hand, the Ultimate Cup format significantly weakened BWGX and took BT9 behind the shed. I think it's good, actually, even if some decks (even ones I enjoy, like Examon) aren't playable.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RevolverDivider posted:

it's not a ban list it's just a side format it's not some sort of punishment

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man I wonder what cool new things we'll get in the next Digimon Card Game sets...

...wait what do you mean it's Adventure. I mean yeah the decks are Adventure but the new booster...

https://twitter.com/rustmarrow/status/1635552251946123265

...oh that's just Adventure too. It's just Adventure all the way down.

Bandai are the best at making me hate Adventure, can we please stop milking it? It was a good series, there are other good series, lots of them, let's move on. Any time you try going back to it it goes loving awfully, I imagine the card game will be safe but I can't trust it either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related, Ghost Game returns this weekend right (though we’ve only got about 2-3 episodes left at this point)?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man I wonder what cool new things we'll get in the next Digimon Card Game sets...

...wait what do you mean it's Adventure. I mean yeah the decks are Adventure but the new booster...

...oh that's just Adventure too. It's just Adventure all the way down.

Bandai are the best at making me hate Adventure, can we please stop milking it? It was a good series, there are other good series, lots of them, let's move on. Any time you try going back to it it goes loving awfully, I imagine the card game will be safe but I can't trust it either.

To be fair, they haven't had an actual OG Adventure set yet, they've only drawn from Tri, DA:LEK and Colon.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
gently caress it, just make a whole pack based around the Vpet. God knows we need more of that than anything Adventure related at this point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Related, Ghost Game returns this weekend right (though we’ve only got about 2-3 episodes left at this point)?

Yeah, it's back this weekend for its second-to-last episode, and next weekend it's over.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They haven’t done an actual og Adventure themed set. I don’t see the issue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Make an Appmon set for Yggdrasil's sake

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

We haven’t had an actual Adventure set and it would be really cool to get actually modernly playable versions of the non Machinedramon dark masters, plus upgrades to Etemon and Myotismon. Maybe even a Sora that not totally garbage!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

Maybe even a Sora that not totally garbage!

whoa now lets not great crazy

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

They haven’t done an actual og Adventure themed set. I don’t see the issue.

I'm just mad that any time there's an anniversary event the first thought that goes through John Bandai's head is "let's do Adventure again". It's worked terribly every time, gave us the horrendous Tri, Last Evolution and Colon.

It's true this is the first proper Adventure set though, I'm still surprised it took this long, but even this gets far more of a push than any other part of the franchise would ever get with two starter decks and a booster set, and it's not like every Digimon that's had a role in Adventure doesn't have cards, plural, already. It's just tiring, though at least there's the Seekers stuff too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'd like to get new Kabuterimon support, so I'm not totally opposed to an Adventure set. I'm just sick of Greymon, Garurumon, and especially Omnimon right now.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Most of the Adventure Cast only really has garbage though.

Agumon Gabumon and Omnimon have good cards.
Tentomon has gently caress all nothing worth using and has been long since banished to the pit by Green Hybrids then Grandis which is insane for the original bug protagonist.

Biyomon’s got a deck formed but it needs more to really do much.
Gomamon is all over the place and needs some more focused stuff to really get Aquatic deck up to snuff.
Patamon’s line only has a handful of good cards and there are like no Angemon that are worth using which is insane. It would be really cool to get actual Angemon stuff that isn’t meant for Mastemon:
All the Dark Masters besides Machinedramon desperately need playable modern cards.
Etemon needs a cool boss monster.
Myotismon had something cool starting to form that could be a real deck in Bt08 then has got gently caress all nothing, he could easily start doing things with meaningful support.
Diaboromon could very easily be a real deck again with some dedicated support

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah id love to see a cool 4 masters theme, and im always ready for new versions of my beloved gatomon and angewomon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It really does depend on what's in the set, ultimately.

Like, I have a nasty suspicion this is the set where they're finally going to have a jogress Omegamon (to go with the new starter decks) and that it may depressingly be the Secret Rare for the set for the second time in a row, but just about everyone else has the potential for something interesting. Red vaccine, Fish, Insect stuff, Mugendramon, Mastemon, Diavolomon, Vamdemon, and Poop all have the potential for a new wave of support, plus whatever other new decks are brought to the fore as there's a reasonable chance we might get a dedicated Dark Masters deck with Apocalymon that might be cool.

There's also the fact it's going to have Digimon Seekers stuff allegedly, and for all we know that could be the real focus of the set. Like, BT11 was listed as a Xros Wars set but it was more properly themed on the video games, Digimon World and Re:Digitize/Decode got WAY more attenion and emphasis and honestly impact than the Xros Wars 2 stuff.

But I'll reiterate a previous point and agree that those cowards should DEFINITELY release an Appmon set already. You swapped to Huckmon and Lighdramon for a reason so pull the trigger already!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

Like, I have a nasty suspicion this is the set where they're finally going to have a jogress Omegamon (to go with the new starter decks)
That's what Alter-S is. It wouldn't surprise me if they did another one for regular Omnimon, but it does exist.

Omnicrom posted:

But I'll reiterate a previous point and agree that those cowards should DEFINITELY release an Appmon set already. You swapped to Huckmon and Lighdramon for a reason so pull the trigger already!
This, though, this I agree with 100000%. Give me the Appmon set.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

King of Solomon posted:

That's what Alter-S is. It wouldn't surprise me if they did another one for regular Omnimon, but it does exist.

That's exactly what I meant. It's funny we got a Jogress Alter-S before we got OG Omegamon, given he's splashed all over the main page for the TCG and is basically Digimon's Charizard.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
If they would just stop being cowards and design the Ultomate Gotsumon, this couls all be avoided. Also a Jogress Super Ultimate Gotsumon(two Gotsumon fuse together)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pyroi posted:

If they would just stop being cowards and design the Ultomate Gotsumon, this couls all be avoided. Also a Jogress Super Ultimate Gotsumon(two Gotsumon fuse together)

Would also endorse this. No, Blastmon is not good enough.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Picking out a color is harder than it looks. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Picking out a color is harder than it looks. :colbert:

consider: a slightly different shade of white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi