Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Here's the Gruyere opinion; I don't have time to read it atm.

Bear in mind this is after a couple appeals, so more context may be necessary. It's late o'clock and it's been a couple years since I studied this, but in brief, the US government has international agreements to respect PDOs pretty much exclusively through BATF, meaning on alcoholic products. For other product categories (and cheese is the big one), basic trademark applies, and generally the trademark is found to have become generic. This reflects a fundamental difference in policy between the US and the EU; the EU as a part of its setup and, I assume, the trading of favors between countries, used PDOs to create a whole heap of sort of miniature protectionist product cartels to preserve regional interests in individual products; the US was of course not party to this. If the average joe 1-pack understands that the name of a PDO product refers to the place it comes from, then it can probably enjoy trademark protection, but if it's been genericized (think parmesan cheese, for a classic one, or, hell, swiss cheese), then it'd be a huge upset of how IP law works.

edit: I'm just skimming but I think the judge might be making some cheese puns, there's a weird use of "crumbled" at page 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Arkhamina posted:

Dumb cheese question. Outside of the US, what is the name used generally for 'swiss' cheese?.

Canada: "Swiss cheese" or "Swiss-style cheese" or "Fromage Suisse"
Australia: "Swiss cheese"

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the Gruyere opinion; I don't have time to read it atm.

Bear in mind this is after a couple appeals, so more context may be necessary. It's late o'clock and it's been a couple years since I studied this, but in brief, the US government has international agreements to respect PDOs pretty much exclusively through BATF, meaning on alcoholic products. For other product categories (and cheese is the big one), basic trademark applies, and generally the trademark is found to have become generic. This reflects a fundamental difference in policy between the US and the EU; the EU as a part of its setup and, I assume, the trading of favors between countries, used PDOs to create a whole heap of sort of miniature protectionist product cartels to preserve regional interests in individual products; the US was of course not party to this. If the average joe 1-pack understands that the name of a PDO product refers to the place it comes from, then it can probably enjoy trademark protection, but if it's been genericized (think parmesan cheese, for a classic one, or, hell, swiss cheese), then it'd be a huge upset of how IP law works.

edit: I'm just skimming but I think the judge might be making some cheese puns, there's a weird use of "crumbled" at page 7.

Fun fact, a bunch of these PDO trade groups have actually gotten on the stick and gotten US registrations. Some of them do rely on the aforesaid BATF and TTB standards of identity, but others (especially outside of Europe) have shortcut the whole thing directly to getting on the register and watching goods in their classes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

i mean they're French AOC names that America actually respects. Whether the US makes an equivalent version, i can't say.

There's some very cheap American 'champagne' brands that got grandfathered in. Stuff like André or Cook's.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So, uh, I somehow got 10 lbs of key limes from the grocery store. Halp

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

I love key limes but boy does it take forever to juice a lot of them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

Don’t want to juice? Chuck it in a blender and make a small batch of Brazilian lemonade!

if you can get the bitterness under control with the limes you have, then make a bigger batch

I think doing a short blend might help, if you liquefy everything you’re keeping more of the solid mass (seeds, pith) which is where most of the bitterness is

https://therecipecritic.com/brazilian-lemonade/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 13, 2023

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Ben Nevis posted:

Sounds like a good time to make some Mai Tais. Failing that, make curd.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The juice freezes well for use in key lime pie, for like 4-6 months.

IMO everyone should find room for a giant lever citrus juicer in their lives. Wonderful stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

The juice freezes well for use in key lime pie, for like 4-6 months.

Last year I put 8 oz delitainers of lemon and lime juice in the freezer. I microwave them for 30 seconds and get a tablespoon of juice for use. I love it. I should’ve done this years ago.

Although now that you mention it I’ve just been refilling the same tubs every time I got more lemons and limes. Maybe I should date them and use them first in first out

quote:

IMO everyone should find room for a giant lever citrus juicer in their lives. Wonderful stuff.

Absolutely. You get the fragrance of the oils in the rind and less bitterness from scraping out the pith

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I made my own curry paste with a mortar and pestle. Even though I didn't chop the lemon grass fine enough I have tasted God's sweat and can't go back to canned.

Frozen lemongrass packed with chilis is the one shortcut I will allow, I hate prepping lemon grass so much it's like the artichoke of herbs, you get like 10% usable portion.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 14, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The green part of the stalk is still flavorful, just fibrous. Steep it in a soup and pull it out, or infuse it in some gin or something.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Last year I put 8 oz delitainers of lemon and lime juice in the freezer. I microwave them for 30 seconds and get a tablespoon of juice for use. I love it. I should’ve done this years ago.

Although now that you mention it I’ve just been refilling the same tubs every time I got more lemons and limes. Maybe I should date them and use them first in first out

Absolutely. You get the fragrance of the oils in the rind and less bitterness from scraping out the pith

One of the best additions to every kitchen is a sharpie and a roll of masking tape. Label and date everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of the best additions to every kitchen is a sharpie and a roll of masking tape. Label and date everything.

I used to do that but after it left gunk on everything I switched to a label maker

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I used to do that but after it left gunk on everything I switched to a label maker
I use an old roll of what I guess is white painters tape and I think it may be easier to remove than normal masking tape

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Was watching someone on YouTube, and he straight up sharpie markers the expiration dates of his pantry crap onto the packaging so that he can see it, because those tiny rear end printings they do are hard to read from a distance. It helps him make sure stuff gets used up within reasonable time of the printed expiration date. Yes, you can eat it after, but it doesn’t hurt anything to have good stock rotation in your pantry.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I found water reversible labels for canning, that are awesome. They're dishwasher safe - and after a dishwasher cycle ( or by hand) there is nothing left.
The brand I use is 'Mess' which are far cheaper than the Ball brand ones, and come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
I use the on freezer stuff, as we tend to rotate through a 1/4 cow at a time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dino. posted:

Was watching someone on YouTube, and he straight up sharpie markers the expiration dates of his pantry crap onto the packaging so that he can see it, because those tiny rear end printings they do are hard to read from a distance. It helps him make sure stuff gets used up within reasonable time of the printed expiration date. Yes, you can eat it after, but it doesn’t hurt anything to have good stock rotation in your pantry.
I was raised to always write the date in sharpie on the lid of baking powder as soon as I opened it. It helps: baking powder degrades on contact with the moisture in the air, not just when it hits the batter.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Yes but do you square your tape edges

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The giant zucchinis JUST WON'T STOP COMING!

This morning, after loudly lamenting our laziness for days, we finally harvested the most recent crop of monsters. We pulled out four, each at least 2 kg, and placed them next to the previous harvest's remainders, one 2 kg+ giant a few ~1 kg "these just count as large" zuccs.

loving hell. The way I dealt with the first of our monsters worked really well, but it took most of a Sunday and included about $20 in inputs (mostly the semi-dried tomatoes and the grilled red capsicums). We also made the suggested recipe for corn-and-zucc fritters, and that was also quite effective, and also required plenty of time in the kitchen, plopping blobs into the big cast-iron pan, 4 at a time.

Does anyone have any slow-cooker (or, at least 1.5 hours in oven/simmering on stovetop) recipes that convert raw zucchini into cooked-and-freezable? The goal here is to change the zucchinis - we've got at least 10 kg to work through - into something that can be frozen and re-heated months later. We have the freezer space, we have or can get the necessary containers (labelchat: scotch tape with fine-point sharpie onto the lid of the not-brand-name tupperware, most of the time if I remember), I'm fine with the successful recipes so far but I'd love to see some more options.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are zucchini noodles out of the question/been done to death already?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
My in-laws had a glut of trombetti di albenga, something stupid like 100kg in one season. What worked for them was slicing them fine on a mandolin and sautéing in Olive oil and a little salt. When soft and nearly translucent they freeze well and make a great side, filling for pasticcio or lasagna, or bulk up pasta with pesto well. They filled a large chest freezer with it like this and cubed for dumping into stews. Surprisingly didn't get bored of eating it in at least one meal a day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

The giant zucchinis JUST WON'T STOP COMING!

This morning, after loudly lamenting our laziness for days, we finally harvested the most recent crop of monsters. We pulled out four, each at least 2 kg, and placed them next to the previous harvest's remainders, one 2 kg+ giant a few ~1 kg "these just count as large" zuccs.

loving hell. The way I dealt with the first of our monsters worked really well, but it took most of a Sunday and included about $20 in inputs (mostly the semi-dried tomatoes and the grilled red capsicums). We also made the suggested recipe for corn-and-zucc fritters, and that was also quite effective, and also required plenty of time in the kitchen, plopping blobs into the big cast-iron pan, 4 at a time.

Does anyone have any slow-cooker (or, at least 1.5 hours in oven/simmering on stovetop) recipes that convert raw zucchini into cooked-and-freezable? The goal here is to change the zucchinis - we've got at least 10 kg to work through - into something that can be frozen and re-heated months later. We have the freezer space, we have or can get the necessary containers (labelchat: scotch tape with fine-point sharpie onto the lid of the not-brand-name tupperware, most of the time if I remember), I'm fine with the successful recipes so far but I'd love to see some more options.

Courgettes, make a good simple soup: onions, garlic, stock, maybe some thyme or Rosemary, perhaps a splash of lemon juice or sherry vinegar, and it’s good.

I’m sure that could be made in quantity in a slow cooker and then frozen in portions.

We sometimes bulk it up with chickpeas or white beans, and it is really good with a splash of olive oil and/or cream

Edit: if you sweat them down with the onions are cook off a lot of their liquid that helps concentrate the flavour, which I think is always a good thing with courgettes.

It is also really good with croutons

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 16, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I add my extra zucchini to beans, dal, chili, soups, and basically anything else I put in the pressure cooker. I just shred it and put in way more than you might think, and it disintegrates really nice. Thickens things up a bit and adds a bit of vegetal flavor. Also good nutrition boost. Sort of like using okra but not as much thickening power. I also put the shreds into all sorts of breads, mix into frittata, use in place of cucumber for tzadziki, etc. The blessing of zucchinis is that they add bulk and gentle savory flavor to whatever you put them in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
All fantastic suggestions, thank you all!

We should have some time to make some of these this weekend, excellent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The news is saying that the recent floods in Central California have been disrupting the planting of summer crops. Workers having to evacuate several times. Expect higher prices on summer crops. Apparently California produces 1/3 of the vegetables and 3/4 of the fruit and nuts for the country

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

The news is saying that the recent floods in Central California have been disrupting the planting of summer crops. Workers having to evacuate several times. Expect higher prices on summer crops. Apparently California produces 1/3 of the vegetables and 3/4 of the fruit and nuts for the country

And snowflakes

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No no, he’s right we do have a large part of the nation’s snowflakes too

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/11/california-mountain-towns-snowstorm-weather

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Surely the almond farms are loving all this water??

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Very happy to be able to swing paying for a vegetable CSA (community agriculture share) that is local. It doesn't have avocado or some hot climate crops, but it's coming from only about 30 miles from my front door.

Also has the perk of knowing they treat the employees well, and the only child labor is the Farmers kids over the summer. They have an active blog and you can go out to the farm a couple times a year. If you can swing a higher grocery bill, would recommend looking into them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My brother is participating in this, to take it a few dozen steps further. He harvested his own sea salt, only using butter or local olive oil, honey is the only sweetener, the works.

https://eatmendocino.com

Helps that he's living on a farm in a fertile area, but dang a whole year is a lot

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BrianBoitano posted:

My brother is participating in this, to take it a few dozen steps further. He harvested his own sea salt, only using butter or local olive oil, honey is the only sweetener, the works.

https://eatmendocino.com

Helps that he's living on a farm in a fertile area, but dang a whole year is a lot
He specifically calls out no chocolate, which ouch. I would think that local wines, beers, and alcohols (there are lots of good ones) would be banned unless the brewer was able to specify that they were only using local yeast, finings, and so on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Arkhamina posted:

Very happy to be able to swing paying for a vegetable CSA (community agriculture share) that is local. It doesn't have avocado or some hot climate crops, but it's coming from only about 30 miles from my front door.

Also has the perk of knowing they treat the employees well, and the only child labor is the Farmers kids over the summer. They have an active blog and you can go out to the farm a couple times a year. If you can swing a higher grocery bill, would recommend looking into them.

Same here. It’s lovely, and it’s really good for the kids to see vegetables that still have mud on them. It’s improved my cooking as well, I have become much better at improvising from random stuff.

Too many beets though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Same here. It’s lovely, and it’s really good for the kids to see vegetables that still have mud on them. It’s improved my cooking as well, I have become much better at improvising from random stuff.

Too many beets though.

We get a box from Riverford. The flavour is just so much better than anything we get from the supermarket or even good grocers. We sometimes get things we wouldn’t buy but being forced to use unfamiliar ingredients is good. Except for the parsnips and swedes.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ours has a 'share box' which is where the fennel goes, for me. I love beets, I love swedes, I tolerate parsnips, but yuck, licorice vegetable. I get a goodly amount of beets from there!
What one box had:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I do live in Central CA (albeit coastal) and also have been getting a local farm box for the past year or so. It rules. We basically only go to the grocery store and Costco once a month now.

Back in January during the first big storm, the creek behind our apartment flooded out of control and we had to evacuate. The red leaf lettuce in our box was coming in incredibly muddy and they eventually switched over to hydroponic butter leaf for a few weeks until they got it under control.

A friend of mine operates an heirloom varietal cidery and they have had a lot of trouble trying to clean out their orchards. Lots of trash gets swept in, and rodents, and all of that leads to rot that can straight up kill the trees if they can’t get in there to clean up. They can’t get in to clean up until it drains and stops raining/flooding.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alright alright y’all are convincing me to look into my local csa

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I miss CSA. Never got it directly but a friend of mine worked someplace where all the employees got one (!) and some guy left (or may have died) and I got the rest of his subscription. Free local veggies was a huge boon, I was poor as poo poo back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It was also great during the early lockdowns, mine had to stop news subscribers, and we kept a regular source of healthy vegetables.

Same with my milkman.