Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Falling Devil it appears was not killed. It seems it got Hell Devil to transport it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

bees x1000 posted:

thinking about how a horseman of the apocalypse is one of the most decent people Asa has ever met

dude yoru's unironically kinda heat. ik she wants to make denji/pochita throw up nuclear weapons which, admittedly, is fairly rude thing to do, but other than that she's like, the nicest person to asa? i like seeing her talk to her more as a peer rather than a parasite and i hope that dynamic continues to grow, i dont want her to turn out Super Evil.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Denji eating the falling devil and accidentally killing the gravity devil and weakening the boulder devil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tbp posted:

dude yoru's unironically kinda heat. ik she wants to make denji/pochita throw up nuclear weapons which, admittedly, is fairly rude thing to do, but other than that she's like, the nicest person to asa? i like seeing her talk to her more as a peer rather than a parasite and i hope that dynamic continues to grow, i dont want her to turn out Super Evil.

Denji's pretty nice. It's just... circumstances.

As for Yoru, she was trying to be this terrifying force of evil towards Asa, but she just keeps seeing shittier and shittier parts of Asa's life and is starting to pity her. (Also, she's getting infected with humanity).

That said, Yoru tried to murder Denji as soon as Asa started feeling affection for him, so she's got a long way to go before she qualifies as an actually good friend.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Denji is the most good person Asa knows. However, a chunk of that is being kept hidden from her due to situations, so she literally doesn't know that.
Yoru is not a good person, she is still the nicest person Asa knows.

Asa's life's pretty hosed!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I feel kinda dumb for my speculation. Like I guessed heights then guessed more complicated stuff. But these people were FALLING into despair then FALLING off a building ugh it was so obvious I love this poo poo.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MorningMoon posted:

Denji is the most good person Asa knows. However, a chunk of that is being kept hidden from her due to situations, so she literally doesn't know that.
Yoru is not a good person, she is still the nicest person Asa knows.

Asa's life's pretty hosed!

Denji and Yoru are the most honest and trustworthy people Asa knows, which is kinda sad.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Denji is the expert of swallowing his trauma

:perfect:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PringleCreamEgg posted:

But these people were FALLING into despair

Does Japanese have this same terminology, I wonder?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm not totally clear on the whole way asa's powers work but the general gist is more or less asa gets stronger weapons the more attached she is to a thing, and the worse she feels giving it up, right? Or to put it a different way, what might be most traumatic to use as a weapon results in it being more powerful? And this is basically a trauma inducing power this demon is using?

I feel like that might backfire.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I'm not totally clear on the whole way asa's powers work but the general gist is more or less asa gets stronger weapons the more attached she is to a thing, and the worse she feels giving it up, right? Or to put it a different way, what might be most traumatic to use as a weapon results in it being more powerful? And this is basically a trauma inducing power this demon is using?

I feel like that might backfire.

yeah, that's what we know so far, though we haven't had a ton of uses to really properly explain it all. ostensibly the more she is attached to something, the more powerful a weapon it becomes when transformed. it seems like the only thing required for her "ownership" of inanimate objects is her subjective feeling of whether she owns it or not, but that doesn't 100% seem to be the case for biological would-be weapons like denji. or denji's being a devilman might have stopped it from working, we dunno yet

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The weapons are also very fragile. We have yet to see a weapon last more than one use.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Seeing the falling devil the Blood Devil/Power should've been a more apocalypse level fighter IMO. You are basically biologically programmed to recoil at the sight or smell of blood. I'm a bit surprised blood isn't really up there with the primal fears. Anything that triggers a completely involuntary hindbrain response that doesn't need to be socially taught should be a ridiculously powerful devil.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Seeing the falling devil the Blood Devil/Power should've been a more apocalypse level fighter IMO. You are basically biologically programmed to recoil at the sight or smell of blood. I'm a bit surprised blood isn't really up there with the primal fears. Anything that triggers a completely involuntary hindbrain response that doesn't need to be socially taught should be a ridiculously powerful devil.

I mean, Makima, one of the strongest people in the setting, needed to continually nerf Power to keep her from getting loose, and her fight with Makima had everyone die from blood exploding. Plus, most Devils were too terrified of Power to even get close when she was a minimum Power fiend.

The thing with primals is that they've never died. Blood clearly did, and even if she's still top tier, that kicks her out of the club.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

After chapter posted

Reddit died
CHAINSAWMAN KILLED THE REDDIT DEVIL

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Annointed posted:

After chapter posted

Reddit died
CHAINSAWMAN KILLED THE REDDIT DEVIL

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In Makima's speech about things Chainsaw Devil ate, reddit would be mentioned right between nazis and the star that drove children insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Valentin posted:

e: oh hang on wait "people around asa constantly accuse her of having too good a life based on the small skewed glimpses they have" is a great reason to have yoshida flag the concept of parasocial interaction and makes that part feel a lot more sane now. obviously in-fiction he's telling her to choose parasociality over real social relationships but it twigs for the reader that a non-zero number of asa's problems (beyond, you know, her mom dying and the horseman of the apocalypse in her head) are about people developing a false image of her based on those glimpses and punishing her for the image they created.

Yeah, so far things that have made people want to hurt Asa include "being an orphan who owns a cat" and "a creepy teacher got a crush on her" which are incredibly unfair things to punish someone for

Also, I really hope we someday wether or not his speech to Asa about parasocial relationships was him trying to manipulate her or him being sincere. Like, I've seen a lot of people interpret that as him trying to get Asa to accept loneliness as inevitable, but I saw it as something he would 100% honestly buy into because having only parasocial fits with the way Yoshida seems to live his life as a non-entity. Constantly lurking in the background emerging only when needed, like an octopus hiding in a cave that only comes out to hunt a fish.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
drat this manga rules. Caught up after finishing the anime

CodfishCartographer posted:

Does Japanese have this same terminology, I wonder?

Haven't seen the original text but 落ちる- to fall, 落ち込む- to be depressed

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Weird that the true villain of the arc gets revealed in a flashback like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dyzzy posted:

Some shared Kanji.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

Is this really true? Red's definitely a striking color but I have a hard time imagining any predatory species would be that chuffed at the sight or smell of blood

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Time for a complete rethink of what primal fears are

Pain Devil
Fire devil
Loud Noise Devil

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Pain Devil
Fire devil
Loud Noise Devil

Abandonment Devil

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Denji eating the falling devil and accidentally killing the gravity devil and weakening the boulder devil

I feel like Denji eating certain things could also herald the apocalypse.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Pain Devil
Fire devil
Loud Noise Devil

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Shadow/Darkness Devil, and I may as well throw in the elemental ones: Fire, Water, Lightning/Thunder, Ice, Wind, Earth

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I have to imagine the Drowning Devil is a primal fear

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
A Predator Devil is definitely a Primal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody sneaking up right behind me in the corner of my eye devil

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is this really true? Red's definitely a striking color but I have a hard time imagining any predatory species would be that chuffed at the sight or smell of blood

We're not strictly a predator species though source: lions will totally eat you

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion

dyzzy posted:

The original text (coincidentally found today where I can read the Japanese chapters as they come out!) uses 落下, which tracks.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Terper posted:

Also it should be remembered that Asa tried to save the cat, and that led to Asa's mom dying while protecting her. Haha! That's not funny...

Our new devil is, though :haw: I suppose that is a pretty primal fear, yeah!

drat, didn't remember this

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SirKibbles posted:

We're not strictly a predator species though source: lions will totally eat you

Lions would totally eat a lot of things if they can get away with it. We have front facing eyes for hunting. As well we sweat and the reason for that is because in a marathon nothing can beat a human. We'd run the things we hunted down. Just imagine you're some gazelle and a weird hairless monkey jams a stick in you and you run away super fast, but it still hurt you bad. However every time you start to rest, this drat thing just keeps showing up. You're faster than it but it doesn't stop, and it just eventually hunts you down when you can't run anymore.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder what the agenda of Hell is if a primal fear is being sent to Earth. Perhaps the Prophecies of Nostradamus was spread beforehand by the mastermind(s), and the Falling Devil is on Earth now to add real fear and anxiety about the prophecies.

Also based on Yoru's remark at the end, I predict that when Yoru finally makes a deep connection to produce a powerful weapon, it will be her death scene, and we, the audience, will be sad by her heroic sacrifice; and/or it will be cathartic as Yoru transforms Asa into a powerful nuke.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also Falling Devil it appears was not killed. It seems it got Hell Devil to transport it instead.

If it was killed, I believe it loses its stature as a primal fear. Perhaps that hidden lore is that all devils, in the advent of human intelligence, looked like Darkness and Fallling, and upon many deaths, they eventually reincarnated into their modern forms.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The fact that Falling talks makes it less cool than Darkness. What a scrub mistake

Also if having lots of limbs is a primal feature what about Eternity Devil

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's a thought: Could Asa weaponize that terrible memory itself? She definitely possesses it, it's a source of tremendous guilt... I don't recall if rules of physicality were made clear with her weapon creation power. There's obviously some conceptual wiggle room, as made clear by the aquarium spear.

Her literally weaponizing her trauma would be :discourse:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flair posted:

I wonder what the agenda of Hell is if a primal fear is being sent to Earth. Perhaps the Prophecies of Nostradamus was spread beforehand by the mastermind(s), and the Falling Devil is on Earth now to add real fear and anxiety about the prophecies.

Also based on Yoru's remark at the end, I predict that when Yoru finally makes a deep connection to produce a powerful weapon, it will be her death scene, and we, the audience, will be sad by her heroic sacrifice; and/or it will be cathartic as Yoru transforms Asa into a powerful nuke.

If it was killed, I believe it loses its stature as a primal fear. Perhaps that hidden lore is that all devils, in the advent of human intelligence, looked like Darkness and Fallling, and upon many deaths, they eventually reincarnated into their modern forms.

I could see that working if the speculation that Asa was always War and Yoru is just her mind trying to reconcile that fact ends up being true. Asa wakes up to her true power and we get a touching goodbye for Yoru

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Eimi posted:

Lions would totally eat a lot of things if they can get away with it. We have front facing eyes for hunting. As well we sweat and the reason for that is because in a marathon nothing can beat a human. We'd run the things we hunted down. Just imagine you're some gazelle and a weird hairless monkey jams a stick in you and you run away super fast, but it still hurt you bad. However every time you start to rest, this drat thing just keeps showing up. You're faster than it but it doesn't stop, and it just eventually hunts you down when you can't run anymore.

https://undark.org/2019/10/03/persistent-myth-persistence-hunting/
If you could find hard evidence that Persistence hunting is actually a thing rather than a myth perpetuated by jokesters that would be greatly appreciated. It would be a fun read.

Snakes hunt rats. Birds Hunt snakes. Animals can be predators and in turn be preyed upon. What you may be talking about is an Apex Predator where a species would be at the top of the food chain with no natural predators of its own like say Lions and Orcas.

https://source.wustl.edu/2005/02/ea...%20fangs%20fit.

If the fossil evidence is to be believed that early humans were actively hunted by other predators. In this case for a primal fear the fear of predators would be a perfectly logical fear to have. Or fear of getting eaten.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 15, 2023

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Das Boo posted:

Here's a thought: Could Asa weaponize that terrible memory itself? She definitely possesses it, it's a source of tremendous guilt... I don't recall if rules of physicality were made clear with her weapon creation power. There's obviously some conceptual wiggle room, as made clear by the aquarium spear.

Her literally weaponizing her trauma would be :discourse:

Spoilers for another WSJ manga but that's what the protagonist of Glinka and Gluna just pulled off this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Violence devil is one I would have considered primal. I wonder how many devil were primal before Chainsawman killed them.