Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hadlock posted:

Edit: it was this game store, permanently closed :(

Equilibrium Game Store
https://maps.app.goo.gl/q7L8PZz35q576HgTA
Never buy a house that doesn't have a local MTG store. What if you were to need a Joven last minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

closing on our first next month, new build, 310k, 4.875% 30yr, 3% down, 10k closing cost incentive

DR Horton so will let u know what breaks in 13 months. Old construction at that price in my area would need 5 figures of investment immediately and have old people stink and ye olden floorplans so it is what it is

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

closing on our first next month, new build, 310k, 4.875% 30yr, 3% down, 10k closing cost incentive

DR Horton so will let u know what breaks in 13 months. Old construction at that price in my area would need 5 figures of investment immediately and have old people stink and ye olden floorplans so it is what it is

Here is a fun DR Horton build vid that showed up on my recommended youtube list yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ez6fopu4UE&t=1s

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Black Diamond Games in Concord is a fantastic local game store (not comics though). I’m in San Leandro but still go there sometimes, I actually have an order to pick up right now. I have hiked Mt. Diablo from the Clayton side when I was trying for Mt. Whitney, it’s basically the same steepness as Whitney and half the distance and elevation. Would be neat to have in your backyard.

As for earthquakes, so much of your personal experience and risk of damage will depend on your structure. Obviously an apartment will shake and sway more than a single family home, and you say the foundation is good. Just bolt everything to the walls and don’t worry about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

Here is a fun DR Horton build vid that showed up on my recommended youtube list yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ez6fopu4UE&t=1s

I ain't watching that

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My fun DR Horton story is that they used the incorrect type of exterior paint on every new build house in a subdivision I bought in 15 years ago. Because of the incorrect type of paint used, the first major rain storm we had caused water intrusion on every house in that subdivsion and DR Horton had to pay for all interior repairs and repaint everyones house. I think there were something like 25 houses that were built at that time. My entire front living room was torn down to the studs and carpet ripped out with giant fans running 24/7 for like 3 weeks. I'll never buy another DR Horton house as long as I live.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mattfl posted:

My fun DR Horton story is that they used the incorrect type of exterior paint on every new build house in a subdivision I bought in 15 years ago. Because of the incorrect type of paint used, the first major rain storm we had caused water intrusion on every house in that subdivsion and DR Horton had to pay for all interior repairs and repaint everyones house. I think there were something like 25 houses that were built at that time. My entire front living room was torn down to the studs and carpet ripped out with giant fans running 24/7 for like 3 weeks. I'll never buy another DR Horton house as long as I live.

Yeah I read your story by searching this thread and that sucks balls, but after reading the BBB customer reviews for all 9 of the other top 10 builders in America it looks like it's just a die I'm going to have to roll at my budget. I know someone personally in the same development with no problems, so maybe our local contractors aren't so bad. Like I said, old construction has its own problems I can see right now and the rate and incentives are good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hawowanlawow posted:

I ain't watching that

The tl;dr is that DR Horton was comically incompetent when they built his home. The structural bits that are supposed to be joined at an angle and are just squared off corners kinda-almost-touching is worth seeing (~4:45). The problem that got him poking around in his attic was that his limestone facade is falling off, probably because it was never tied into the structure in the first place.

DR Horton refused to talk to him and sent him to the warranty people, the warranty people refused to touch it because it wasn't structural, even though it was hazardous.

He got loving nothing until he started posting tiktok videos that got 5m views. 1m views wasn't enough, he had to do a second video that hit 5m views. Then DR Horton fixed it.

The tl;dr is that the house was built like poo poo in some areas that aren't convenient to get in and inspect, it caused bad problems, and the builder told him to pound sand. He would still be pounding sand except he's some kind of social media guy so he was able to cause a public enough stink and embarrassment that they fixed it to shut him up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah I read your story by searching this thread and that sucks balls, but after reading the BBB customer reviews for all 9 of the other top 10 builders in America it looks like it's just a die I'm going to have to roll at my budget. I know someone personally in the same development with no problems, so maybe our local contractors aren't so bad. Like I said, old construction has its own problems I can see right now and the rate and incentives are good

Frankly at this point I'd rather buy an older home that needs low 5 figures of work than a newer home where god loving knows what bullshit corners the builders cut. I mean, old homes have all sorts of weird, janky bullshit (especially if the PO thought they were a handyman or, worse, an electrician) but at the very least you've got some survivorship bias where you can expect basic poo poo like "tied the structural members together right" to be OK. Or at the very least not-OK in a way that's let it stand up for 50+ years.

Maybe I'd buy new construction if I was planning on moving inside 10 years and could hand it off to another sucker, but yeesh. That poo poo terrifies me, because you have basically zero recourse and you're basically hoping that the builder gave a poo poo when he built your chunk of the subdivision - and they have every incentive to not give a poo poo, maximize speed, and minimize cost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, old homes have all sorts of weird, janky bullshit (especially if the PO thought they were a handyman or, worse, an electrician)

I didn't know you read my house thread.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I hope you got a pre drywall and are getting a final inspection done before you close on the house. The 400 bucks an independent 3rd party inspection will cost can save you a lot of headaches.

The thing about the national builders is they are only as good as the local construction manager and the work done by the local sub contractors. My first home was a Centex new build. The only issue we had in over 8 years was a known issue with the Lennox HVAC evaporator coil. Overall we were very happy with that house, but it was built in late 2009/early 2010 when there wasn't a construction boom so I think the local manager and crews were a little better. My current national builder home is almost 5 years old... we had a lot of issues with the warranty department getting things fixed. It was a headache, but I knew what potential mess I was getting into. Make nice with the local customer service/warranty person, and understand every single page of their warranty and fit/finish standards. I had almost every tile ripped out of my house and redone due to excessive lippage and chips. Master shower completely ripped out and redone. Over 1200 sq ft of floor tile demolished and redone. I had my granite countertops replaced twice. Eventually I got everything fixed to our satisfaction. This isn't our forever home, and once the kids are out of school we'll be selling the place and downsizing, so hopefully this place holds together long enough for me to sell it to someone else.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah I'm getting it inspected before close of course, and I'm not retiring in it. There isn't any recourse to problems in an old construction house either, at least I will have a warranty to deal with in the first place. After seeing the old construction in my price range for a first home, I'd rather just rent than live in them. I do have to live in it. It would be nice to make more money for a better old construction house, but I don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah I'm getting it inspected before close of course, and I'm not retiring in it.

That's not what was suggested. What was suggested is to have it inspected before the sheetrock goes up as well. Because this is when/where you can find structural issues. And then again when it's complete and before close where the inspector will be looking at a different set of [potential issues more along the lines of fit and finish, operation, completeness.

hawowanlawow posted:

There isn't any recourse to problems in an old construction house either, at least I will have a warranty to deal with in the first place.

You're trying really really hard to convince yourself here and I get it, you're about to spend a bunch of money on this. But yikes you're so wrong.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

You're trying really really hard to convince yourself here and I get it, you're about to spend a bunch of money on this. But yikes you're so wrong.
And in the YT vid I posted the guy STILL had a warranty and had to get 5 million tiktok views before anyone did anything to honor it. So that warranty sure sounds worth it!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

(interested) Didn't know you had one!

e: hawowanlawow, I realize you're deep in sunk cost fallacy at this point. But please do at least read the comments on that YouTube video.

A house is not inherently an appreciating asset. Local housing markets can collapse: for instance, prices in Silicon Valley are cratering for obvious reasons. In any house, including a new build, your costs of repair can be higher than the appreciation. If old-build houses are far more expensive than new-builds, there is a reason: they're more desirable, and they will still be more desirable when it comes time for you to sell.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 15, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I didn't know you thought you were an electrician
*ducks behind DR Horton video*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Local housing markets can collapse: for instance, prices in Silicon Valley are cratering for obvious reasons.

not loving nearly fast enough, but if Meta lays off another 10,000 people it'd be a good start.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hi i bought a new build house it is in the MI detroit inner ring suburbs and it is very pretty and made by local builders. how hosed am i, goons

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Back in 2010 I bought a 4 year old Pulte Home in the inland NorCal area and it was missing insulation in almost the entire attic (that wasn't visible from the access.) I will say I had no probs just sending off an email to their local rep and them sending an insulation company out very quickly.

It also turned out that every house in the neighborhood had failing stucco due to some lovely sub that watered down the mix or something then went bankrupt and disappeared. Pulte again covered the costs no questions asked, but it was a 2 week fairly intrusive and noisy job (obviously). I'm glad I let the new owners deal with that, as it was like being in a new construction zone for the year prior as a few houses at a time would get remediated. :newlol:

The 1980 built rancher I am in now is solid as hell structurally.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lady Radia posted:

hi i bought a new build house it is in the MI detroit inner ring suburbs and it is very pretty and made by local builders. how hosed am i, goons
Define local builders, but basically, if you bought a house, built at any time, by anyone, you're hosed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lady Radia posted:

Sounds nice, and I hope you enjoy it!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Slugworth posted:

Define local builders, but basically, if you bought a house, built at any time, by anyone, you're hosed.

This tracks.

and they’re a local company with mixed reviews, we honestly just found it on the market and we’re interested. The Detroit market is weird as hell right now so we wanted to snap up the first we found that could be a forever-home

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

This tracks.

and they’re a local company with mixed reviews, we honestly just found it on the market and we’re interested. The Detroit market is weird as hell right now so we wanted to snap up the first we found that could be a forever-home
This is honest to God like marrying the first partner you date because you might miss out. (Marrying the first partner you date because they're absolutely perfect is different.) . It's available, but that doesn't mean it's the right house for you. "We have to pick the first doable one" means that you have to live with the house's particular defects simply because it was available that week. Look at it, identify what's wrong with it, and then decide whether you can live with those things permanently. And you will still be cold-cocked by something you didn't know about, because house.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The mortgage broker I used just found out that the sellers that sold her the house she's in now listed a new roof on the listing, gave a copy of an invoice for a full roof replacement, but actually only had a small patch job done.

Just goes to show that anyone can get hosed over I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What situations should you use a mortgage broker? If I have say 25 down would they give me any benefit beyond a local credit union? I wan to buy by next winter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What situations should you use a mortgage broker? If I have say 25 down would they give me any benefit beyond a local credit union? I wan to buy by next winter.

Mortgages are a commodity product. A mortgage broker can shop multiple originators for you at once.

There is literally no reason to use your local credit union unless they gave you the best rate and lowest closing costs. They are almost 100% definitely going to sell the loan before you make the first payment on it anyway.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is honest to God like marrying the first partner you date because you might miss out. (Marrying the first partner you date because they're absolutely perfect is different.) . It's available, but that doesn't mean it's the right house for you. "We have to pick the first doable one" means that you have to live with the house's particular defects simply because it was available that week. Look at it, identify what's wrong with it, and then decide whether you can live with those things permanently. And you will still be cold-cocked by something you didn't know about, because house.

Oh yeah to clarify, we made offers on four other places and got beaten out by big companies, too. I more meant in terms of, like, “we love this and could live here forever” - the only downside really being it’s in a suburb and not Detroit proper.

We had a third party inspector come in and had the builder make changes to everything they found, which wasn’t many.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Lady Radia posted:

Oh yeah to clarify, we made offers on four other places and got beaten out by big companies, too. I more meant in terms of, like, “we love this and could live here forever” - the only downside really being it’s in a suburb and not Detroit proper.

We had a third party inspector come in and had the builder make changes to everything they found, which wasn’t many.
Oh for sure, I think most people regret not being able to live in Detroit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the idea of SEMI as a hot housing market is wild to me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

Mortgages are a commodity product. A mortgage broker can shop multiple originators for you at once.

There is literally no reason to use your local credit union unless they gave you the best rate and lowest closing costs. They are almost 100% definitely going to sell the loan before you make the first payment on it anyway.

Brokers also give a good barometer of how good your rate is. When they switch from super friendly chatty replies to curt statements you are probably bumping up against the lowest possible.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the idea of SEMI as a hot housing market is wild to me

I don’t know if it’s hot, it’s just weird. Prices have inflated across the board except for ones that essentially need massive renovation, and houses on the market for months get swept up quick after offers are made.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we originally submitted the offer with a two week rent back, last night

They took issue with the wording as it was "two weeks" and not "up to two weeks" wanted to shrink it to 3 days :raise:

At this point I offered to just move the closing out 3 days. It was at this point my agent freaked out because she realized they signed all but the rentback addendum which makes it an incomplete contract per her/our brokerage lawyer

So now it's come out that the guy is just gonna go live with his daughter and they don't need the rent back and are happy to drop the rent back because I think everyone realizes 3 days rentback is stupid

Deal still pending don't have all signatures yet :toot:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lady Radia posted:

I don’t know if it’s hot, it’s just weird. Prices have inflated across the board except for ones that essentially need massive renovation, and houses on the market for months get swept up quick after offers are made.

nah I mean it's not untrue. I had friends get priced out of Ypsi which was astonishing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

About this time last year I was in an Airbnb near downtown, I was hoping you would chime in since you seem to be the goon expert on the stairs around here

Seems like wildfire isn't a huge problem in the immediate area because it's relatively flat and urban

I was looking at some "shake severity" map on arc.gis.gov or something and for whatever reason I guess downtown concord sits on top of a major "very high shake severity" colored polygon. Our house would sit at least half a mile from the edge of there, but I only experienced a few quakes in seven years, two "knocks" sitting on the Hayward fault in Oakland near 13 and feeling our giant steel condo building sway like dense jello during the 2021 Tahoe 7.0 quake. How bad do you feel things there? I guess there was a swarm of 4.X and 5.X quakes early spring of 2019 too

I guess it's not a comic book shop, just board games and MTG: Games of Concord
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1eacpfk49YN9SuWeA

Sounds like not a terrible location. Just heard from our agent that there are no competing offers so I might be at a BART station near you sooner rather than later

Need some strong vietnamese recommendations? Bonus points if their banh mi doesn't suck. Further east the better

Edit: it was this game store, permanently closed :(

Equilibrium Game Store
https://maps.app.goo.gl/q7L8PZz35q576HgTA

Never went there or even heard of it, because I'm quite close to:

Muir posted:

Black Diamond Games in Concord is a fantastic local game store (not comics though).
It's a really really good game store, and it's next door to a decent sushi place. The owner does a blog about the business and experience of running a game store so he's known nationwide among game store owners. Highly highly recommended.

quote:

As for earthquakes, so much of your personal experience and risk of damage will depend on your structure. Obviously an apartment will shake and sway more than a single family home, and you say the foundation is good. Just bolt everything to the walls and don’t worry about it.

Yes. The reason central/downtown Concord is at more risk is because it's built on alluvial deposits and those are more prone to liquefaction, but also the actual fault zone runs right through there and everything within 1/4 mile of the actual fault is considered at risk of fissures/ruptures during a major earthquake. Your actual structure's response to local earthquakes will depend on the type and condition of your foundation, exactly what's under it, and exactly how the building on top of it was constructed.

As far as "exactly what's under it" - your disclosures will include a Mandatory State Natural Hazards Disclosures form which includes flood, wind, and fire hazards, but also earthquake fault zone and "seismic hazard zone". Mine says that my house is located in an "Alquist-Priolo Earthquake Fault Zone" and the form is blank on whether I'm in or not in a Seismic Hazard Area because my house is actually right literally on the line on the map so on page 4 it instead indicates "Map not yet released by state" which I guess is a bit of a cop-out but I'm fine with them not really knowing for sure how accurate this big zone boundary actually is. Realistically I'm acting as if the ground will open up and swallow my house in a major quake on this fault line and have insured it accordingly.

These zones were set up in 1990, the Seismic Hazards Mapping Act of 1990, and new construction within a seismic hazard zone is only permitted if "it can be shown that mitigation makes the site acceptably safe." Our houses are pre-1990, and even post-1990 houses are only affected if maps were available at the time of construction. So the tl;dr of this is that you should read your disclosures and understand the hazard and make choices accordingly, and only really new construction is likely to have been originally built to a high standard if we make a big assumption that the builder didn't cheap out on the implementation of the safe design.

You can hire a specialist during your inspection period if you want. Few shoppers do, but a geological inspection is warranted especially for properties on significant slopes. You can determine whether the structure has been built to a particular standard, and/or mitigated such as via the earthquake brace and bolt program via foundation inspection and scrutinizing the original plans, if they're available. You can get an insurance quote or two to see how much it will cost you to insure - my earthquake insurance is something on the order of a thousand dollars a year, with a 15% deductible which means effectively it's useless for minor quakes that cause less than $50k or so of damage, but the purpose is to prevent me from being bankrupted if my entire house is destroyed in a major quake and I'm left with just the lot and a ruined structure that needs to be demolished, surrounded by hundreds or thousands of other structures that crater the local property market for years. Not to fix my chimney after the next 5.6 quake.

re: vietnamese food, there's a place we go regularly called Kevin's Noodle House that is a local bay area chain and it's fine and fast. There's a place down Monument that does bahn mi that are fine. There's like two more vietnamese restaurants at least. My hairdresser says none of them are good enough and we should drive to San Jose, but she has high standards.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 15, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I dug into that looks like the whole "valley" is some level above zero but not as high as downtown. Those online arc.gis maps are really good and some variant were included in our disclosures along with the stuff you described. We will have to get some kind of earthquake insurance as from everything I understand we're way overdue on a large earthquake. I guess they reported the core of the earth stopped rotating recently (this is a real thing) and they swear it won't cause more earthquakes but who knows seems important. Good tips on Black Diamond and vietmanese food.

Update: just signed addendum 2: "addendum #1 is null and void and no longer a part of this contract. Property will be delivered vacant at close of escrow." :lol:

Edit: offer accepted

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 15, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

Edit: offer accepted

Congrats and I'm sorry.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Shifty Pony posted:

Congrats and I'm sorry.

House-buying thread: Congrats and I'm sorry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I guess they reported the core of the earth stopped rotating recently (this is a real thing) and they swear it won't cause more earthquakes but who knows seems important.

The earth's core apparently spins slightly faster or slightly slower than the mantle/surface and the recent paper's claim is that it is currently spinning at about the same speed. Breathless science journalists took that idea and wildly misinterpreted it, as usual. If the earth's core stopped spinning, as in it became tidally locked to the sun while the earth continued to rotate once per day, that would be... well, impossible to happen in the space of less than many millions of years, for one, but also probably wildly catastrophic in terms of the magnetic field changes.

There is not going to be any change in earthquake behavior due to tiny changes in the rotation of the core.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Please watch the documentary on this subject: 2003's "The Core"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:hmmyes: checks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Kjgr995UM&t=105s