Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5672/one-piece-chapter-1078?&date=16-3-2023-8

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like those early spoiler folks overexaggerated a reveal again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh shiiiiit.

The delayed reaction from Kaku to being called Usopp, haha!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

York is gonna end up replacing Kuma as the Mariejois taxi service

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Don’t concern yourself with the croaking of frogs at the bottom of a well

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

SyntheticPolygon posted:

that's true but we did learn it'll be funny to say every week regardless

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
York's luring that Elder to the island that has human cloning technology on it. One possible plan is to force an Elder to step onto the island, clone him, and then brain link with it or something so she can manipulate the WG to become a Tenryuubito.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

White Light posted:

Still kills me that this is an actual thing in this series, not just a one-off joke

It's not though. The fan-translators took some liberties with that line. Buggy was just sick.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So York probably told the Elder Stars about how Vegapunk got his big research into void century, right?

Think they try to buster call/ancient weapon Elbaf after this? It's where he got the bulk of his insight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel kinda bad that Luffy respects Usopp so little that he's taken to calling any random dude with a long nose Usopp

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel kinda bad that Luffy respects Usopp so little that he's taken to calling any random dude with a long nose Usopp

It's more that he couldn't give less than 2 shits what his name is, so is disrespecting him by calling him one of his crew mates. Kaku such a bottom he basically went "Yes Daddy" instantly, before cottoning on that he'd been insulted

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think this arc has reached the point where there's too much going on at once, and I'm not really sure if this betrayal storyline is necessary. We're currently juggling the Straw Hats interacting with the Vegapunks, CP 0, Kizaru and the elder, Sentomaru, the Seraphim, Stussy stuff, Sanji's new power-up, all these different backstory revelations regarding Ohara and the ancient kingdom, whatever the deal is with Punk Records, Bonney with Kuma's memories, and the cutaways to Blackbeard/Law/Garp and Shanks/Kidd/Elbaf stuff. There are probably things I forget as well.

I deffo prefer it to the slow pace of Wano or the end of Dressrosa, but this betrayal stuff would probably work better in an arc that wasn't so busy and if we'd gotten to know the principal players more, especially as York has barely had any screen time. Then again, this is Oda, and I'm sure he'll make me care in time.

I understand that this is your opinion but everything is connected to the same central thing, York's plan. That's why CP0 is there, that's why Stella is kidnapped, that's why the Seraphim are raging, that's why Saturn is coming, that's why Stussy is here. The plot here works to me because everything has one reason for happening, and that's York, the villain of the arc. If you remove that it's a bunch of stuff happening randomly at a random time.

Infinitum posted:

It's more that he couldn't give less than 2 shits what his name is, so is disrespecting him by calling him one of his crew mates. Kaku such a bottom he basically went "Yes Daddy" instantly, before cottoning on that he'd been insulted
Didnt he call him Usopp when they first met?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i have a gut feeling that drawing out saturn was the core idea of the plan in some fashion. seems too perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No Wave posted:

Didnt he call him Usopp when they first met?

Multiple characters did. Zoro is napping, wakes up when Kaku shows up, immediately goes back to sleep because,"Oh it's just Usopp..." then wakes up a few moments later, goes,"Hey, that's NOT Usopp!" and is ready to fight him, accusing him of impersonating Usopp while Kaku keeps reminding him that he never once said or even implied he was Usopp, and that in fact he doesn't even loving know who Usopp is! It was great :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So that's Shaka and Pythagoras down, and York is off the team even if she survives the arc. We're losing Vegapunks left, right and centre - I wonder if they are all going to get killed off or not, given that Atlus was picked back up when Oda could have just let her die.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Multiple characters did. Zoro is napping, wakes up when Kaku shows up, immediately goes back to sleep because,"Oh it's just Usopp..." then wakes up a few moments later, goes,"Hey, that's NOT Usopp!" and is ready to fight him, accusing him of impersonating Usopp while Kaku keeps reminding him that he never once said or even implied he was Usopp, and that in fact he doesn't even loving know who Usopp is! It was great :)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Current Vegapunk Status:

00-Stella: Old Devil Fruit Research Lab, Basement Floor. Imprisoned with the Cipher Pol agents, confronting York.

01-Shaka: Old Devil Fruit Research Lab, Basement Floor. Got shot in the head by York outside of the Stella/CP containment cell, most likely dead.

02-Lilith: Building C, Floor 3. Petrified alongside Usopp (and most of Franky) by S-Snake.

03-Edison: Building A, Floor 3. Out of commission ("half-destroyed" according to Nami or Zeus?) thanks to S-Shark, being held by Nami.

04-Pythagoras: Building C, Floor 3. Just got stomped by S-Snake, presumed dead.

05-Atlas: Building A, Floor 2. Currently fine, grouped with Robin and Chopper, headed to "a lab that was once used and is now sealed off" (probably where Stella/CP are being kept, maybe Kuma's memory room?)

06-York: Idk, probably sleeping/shidding somewhere.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 16, 2023

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

almost like we’d be fine without being warned

are we supposed to believe shaka is dead? atlas was repaired pretty quickly and they routinely upload copies of their memories to a magic brain computer

notwithyourheart fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 16, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Who the hell did Bonney de-age?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

notwithyourheart posted:

are we supposed to believe shaka is dead? atlas was repaired pretty quickly and they routinely upload copies of their memories to a magic brain computer

I'd agree with you but with them presumably being the first model (PUNK-01) and them being killed by another satellite and that satellite saying that they're dead, I'd assume they are.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

I understand that this is your opinion but everything is connected to the same central thing, York's plan. That's why CP0 is there, that's why Stella is kidnapped, that's why the Seraphim are raging, that's why Saturn is coming, that's why Stussy is here. The plot here works to me because everything has one reason for happening, and that's York, the villain of the arc. If you remove that it's a bunch of stuff happening randomly at a random time.

Yea, the only thing not part of York's plan is seemingly the Strawhats being there? I think?

York is still a Vegapunk, so planning this all up is not unreasonable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They could bring Shaka back if they had the time, but the lab is collapsing around them and it isn't going to survive the incoming Buster Call. It could be written in if Oda really wanted, but I wouldn't count on it personally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kdrudy posted:

Yea, the only thing not part of York's plan is seemingly the Strawhats being there? I think?

York is still a Vegapunk, so planning this all up is not unreasonable.

Admittedly Bonney is just kind of randomly there, I forgot about her. If I had to cut anything from the arc it would be her (I tend to say this a lot about supernovas)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Admittedly Bonney is just kind of randomly there, I forgot about her. If I had to cut anything from the arc it would be her (I tend to say this a lot about supernovas)

huh? she's tying us to Kuma backstory. without her we don't really have a reason to explore it. feels like it's going to tie into revolutionaries and the greater plot threads

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Too bad Vegapunk never read Full Metal Alchemist. He'd know to never create an artificial lifeform powered by your greed!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

so all this is just prelude to the Egghead Incident that is gonna happen tomorrow :hellyeah:

I'm really curious as to what York's actual plan here is. Bodyjacking Saturn? It seems like one of her goals here was to lure an Elder Star to the island.
Also, how did she manage to hide her intentions from the daily brain sync that all the Vegapunks do? Has she been using Kuma's ability to purge incriminating memories during that daily sync?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If an Elder Star does get lured out I’m curious if the gang is going to learn about Imu before or after Laugh Tale (I’m also hoping they rendezvous with Vivi before long and she finally joins the crew for real)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

One kind of interesting thing that got lost in the rest of this chapter is how Franky only got half petrified. What's up with that? He says he got half frozen because he was taken off guard. If he was "on guard" would he be immune to S-Snake's power somehow? I think that's really interesting and somehow suits Franky, but I don't fully understand the reason.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did they? If I saw York trending on One Piece Twitter, I'd probably start wondering why, and if she was the traitor. I think a gentle heads up to stay off those kinds of sites if you really care was reasonable.

I had been thinking about/speculating about the traitor mystery a lot, and I was completely caught off guard by the York reveal. It was great! I'm glad I got to experience that.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Eiba posted:

One kind of interesting thing that got lost in the rest of this chapter is how Franky only got half petrified. What's up with that? He says he got half frozen because he was taken off guard. If he was "on guard" would he be immune to S-Snake's power somehow? I think that's really interesting and somehow suits Franky, but I don't fully understand the reason.

Either he had an eye closed or averted, or I like to think he can think about how he's already a pervert/freak/whatever and block it, considering he calls himself that so much. Like how Usopp has negative immunity.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eiba posted:

That's because she kicked him. Love-Love Mellow is full-body petrification, Perfume Femur is partial.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

thank godd the traitor isn't stussy, the 10th straw hat

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Regarding latest spoilers... Do we have any reason to believe that York isn't as smart as all of the other Vegapunks, despite being the one that eats and poops for the others? I feel like there is a very real possibility that not only is she greedily seeking a cozy spot as a Celestial Dragon, she also might resent being the Vegapunk stuck in constant "Eat/Crap/Nap" cycles while all the others actually get to utilize their vast intelligence.

Besides that, if she IS as smart as any other Vegapunk, then it'd not be unreasonable to expect that York might have accounted for a LOT of potential double-crossing from the World Government. It's possible this is a stretch; I wouldn't put it past her to think her value as a Vegapunk combined with her being the one to rat out the other Vegapunks means she's already bought her ticket.

I'm on team Body Swap, though I'd also accept that York thinks she's either already bought her ticket to Mariejois, or that she'll be able to blackmail her way to the top.

EDIT: To add to this, I do think that York even possibly knowing about the Void Century means that the World Government has her marked for death no matter what she has done or does, short of Body Swap.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 16, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Regarding latest spoilers... Do we have any reason to believe that York isn't as smart as all of the other Vegapunks, despite being the one that eats and poops for the others? I feel like there is a very real possibility that not only is she greedily seeking a cozy spot as a Celestial Dragon, she also might resent being the Vegapunk stuck in constant "Eat/Crap/Nap" cycles while all the others actually get to utilize their vast intelligence.

Besides that, if she IS as smart as any other Vegapunk, then it'd not be unreasonable to expect that York might have accounted for a LOT of potential double-crossing from the World Government. It's possible this is a stretch; I wouldn't put it past her to think her value as a Vegapunk combined with her being the one to rat out the other Vegapunks means she's already bought her ticket.

I'm on team Body Swap, though I'd also accept that York thinks she's either already bought her ticket to Mariejois, or that she'll be able to blackmail her way to the top.

No that would all make sense. She naturally makes sense as a villain because she's the one who's burdened by the existence of other punks. I have trouble imagining the CDs treating her as an equal in any case though so right now her plan looks potentially terrible.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I don't know how explicit it'll be made in the text, but I like the implication that there's a part of the original, "whole" Vegapunk that just wants to give up on pursuing the truth and fighting for moral causes so he can live in comfort among the supremacist class. He's always loomed as an ethically messy figure, and his personified ideals violently clashing would represent that in a fun way.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
One thing I appreciated about this chapter was how it clarified what the WG know about Vegapunk's activities, and why such a huge force was already enroute and/or being mobilised. Reading between the lines, it seems like Saturn will be very hands-on during the operation. He's not just there to issue orders to the seraphim & pacifista, his primary directive will be to mitigate the spread of inconvenient truths by any means necessary - including the annihilation of friendly troops and agents who are exposed to that knowledge.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lucci, Kaku and Stussy have already been written off as compromised and expelled from Cipher Pol due to how long they've been in sustained contact with the enemy. Especially since they've gone radio silent too.

About York's plan... I don't think the personality surgery is particularly likely. I doubt they could convincingly pass as Saturn for more than a day or two, plus why would they want to be an old man again... unless Saturn is immortal I guess?

I figure York abducted the other CP agents to use as leverage with the WG and be taken more seriously, possibly also thinking they could be used as bargaining chips in negotiations. There's also a chance York's using the Shadow-Shadow ability and has harvested their shadows, which could be interesting.

Other things from this chapter...
- I'm curious where S-Hawk and S-Snake are heading next. We have two teams not already in combat - Team Stussy and Team Atlas. There's a chance S-Snake is going to reinforce S-Shark, but unless Sanji's 'exoskeleton' protects him from petrification I can't see that ending well.
- Presumably Caribou is still around. I wonder if he could successfully pull a seraph into his swamp dimension?
- I'm feeling pessimistic about all the civilians successfully escaping. The approaching/nearby Marine forces will probably have kill-on-sight orders for any ship spotted heading away from the vicinity of Egghead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ah! I completely misremembered, I thought Usopp was busy off getting beaten up by the Frankie Family at that point. Well I guess there's nothing for it but to read the entirety of Water 7 and Enies Lobby again! Darn it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Ah! I completely misremembered, I thought Usopp was busy off getting beaten up by the Frankie Family at that point. Well I guess there's nothing for it but to read the entirety of Water 7 and Enies Lobby again! Darn it.

Oh no that also happens lol, Kaku getting on the Merry to inspect it and Zoro thinks it's Usopp for a second.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This end game poo poo is hitting perfectly. The mystery felt a little forced, but it's wild to take a step back and consider how many pieces Oda is moving towards the last three islands here before the climax. No clue how it's gonna resolve, but this is already a banger of an arc.

Hoping we get a 3-4 chapter reprieve in Eblaf before the final push, and that Vegapunk manages to survive to that point but the current velocity suggests he's gonna be a causality.

Oda's perfect memory is a loving sight to behold. God drat.

The Seraphim's are overall a nice touch to allow the Straw Hats to chump previous opponents (CP9) while still having some threat that blocks them from just straight up winning. Have been a little skeptical of them on introduction, but digging the execution.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 17, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oda's perfect memory is a loving sight to behold. God drat.

I believe Oda's admitted he reads fan wikis to remember stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like whenever they address S-Snake because it looks like they're stuttering