Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Remember when the plot of the George Lazenby one-off spent a lot of time analyzing ear lobes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

To be fair, we got a better deal with A View to a Kill in some respects. Christopher Walken is way more charismatic than Gert Fröbe as a Bond villain. Actually kind of foreshadowing the whole tech rear end in a top hat type that we're dealing with now. And at least May Day's about face isn't because of the power of rape.

On the other hand, Roger Moore was really showing his age by then. And I can't decide which title track is "better". Goldfinger is really when a lot of the now classic tropes of the franchise and James Bond character crystalized.

View to a Kill has a good theme but Living Daylights is the superior 80's bond theme. And I say that as someone who loves both Duran Duran and A-ha.

https://youtu.be/DfFbiFoAWjM vs https://youtu.be/Fp4CR2HcHLQ

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Both the A View To A Kill and The Living Daylights themes own IMHO.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AceOfFlames posted:

Agreed

View To a Kill is always funny because Roger Moore is clearly way too old for that role

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Whoever played Roger Moore's legs deserved more recognition.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

AceOfFlames posted:

No love for License to Kill? Gladys Knight just belts out that song and I am 100% there for it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Goldfinger has the iconic DB5 while View to a Kill doesn't even rate a Bond Car, so clear winner there.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

View To a Kill is always funny because Roger Moore is clearly way too old for that role

I still find it hilarious that the last straw for him was finding out he was older than Tanya Roberts' mother. IIRC he wanted to leave for a while but that being the thing that made him go "no, seriously, gently caress THIS" makes me laugh.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was also the movie where Grace Jones decided she wasn't going to put up with the same poo poo Moore put the other Bond girls through and kept a giant dildo under the sheets during their sex scene to scare the poo poo out of him.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

I rewatched Octopussy on a whim last night and almost every single action scene is ruined because they have to keep cutting between the stuntmen doing amazing, crazy stuff and Roger Moore on a set that only barely matches the environment. Also, speaking of Bond movies chasing trends, this one is so Indiana Jones that Temple of Doom's dinner scene might as well have been lifted wholesale from it. Also, somehow even more racist than Temple of Doom, and certainly a lot duller.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That was also the movie where Grace Jones decided she wasn't going to put up with the same poo poo Moore put the other Bond girls through and kept a giant dildo under the sheets during their sex scene to scare the poo poo out of him.

Wait... what did he do to the other Bond girls?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Black Lighter posted:

I rewatched Octopussy on a whim last night and almost every single action scene is ruined because they have to keep cutting between the stuntmen doing amazing, crazy stuff and Roger Moore on a set that only barely matches the environment. Also, speaking of Bond movies chasing trends, this one is so Indiana Jones that Temple of Doom's dinner scene might as well have been lifted wholesale from it. Also, somehow even more racist than Temple of Doom, and certainly a lot duller.
Octopussy is a rough watch, yeah

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DarkSol posted:

On the other hand, Roger Moore was really showing his age by then.

Roger Moore was horrified when he found out that not only was he older than Tanya Roberts, he was older than her mother, and he asked to be released from his contract so a more age-appropriate star could be cast. The producers flat-out turned him down.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DarkSol posted:

Wait... what did he do to the other Bond girls?

He'd grab them, pinch them, etc. Basically taking advantage of the scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wasn't even looking hard, but it's very easy to spot when Bond suddenly de-aged 25 years and had a lot more stamina in this chase scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq601ztZ4mQ

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 16, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's the scene I've been talking about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Remember when the plot of the George Lazenby one-off spent a lot of time analyzing ear lobes?

Weirdly enough that was in the book. Also IIRC that was the book where Blofeld wore weird contact lenses that hid his iris.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Black Lighter posted:

The only real high point in Octopussy is Vijay Amritraj and Kabir Bedi. But yeah, it is so racist and a very low point in what I consider a low stretch in the Bond series.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

muscles like this! posted:

Weirdly enough that was in the book. Also IIRC that was the book where Blofeld wore weird contact lenses that hid his iris.

There was lots of weird stuff in the books that never got put in so not sure why it was put in there. I just want them to do a Bond that's accurate to the books and just make him fat and completely out of shape

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's being reported that Tarantino is going to be announcing his last movie soon and start filming in the fall. Working title is The Film Critic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

These Star Trek titles keep getting weirder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's being reported that Tarantino is going to be announcing his last movie soon and start filming in the fall. Working title is The Film Critic.

It was announced on Tuesday. The title is The Film Critic, it's set in the late 1970s and has a female lead, sparking speculation that it's about or inspired by the story of Pauline Kael.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw Octopussy once on tv. Too much loving circus poo poo. I was 10 and bored out of my mind. A View to a Kill is a mess but at least it’s got a great theme song and a couple really good character actors.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Timby posted:

It was announced on Tuesday. The title is The Film Critic, it's set in the late 1970s and has a female lead, sparking speculation that it's about or inspired by the story of Pauline Kael.

The capstone on his hooeuvre

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Does anyone really buy that this is Tarantino's last movie

Honestly, even if he is serious about it right now, he's too much of a movie guy to not want to make another one a few years into retirement

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Casimir Radon posted:

I saw Octopussy once on tv. Too much loving circus poo poo. I was 10 and bored out of my mind. A View to a Kill is a mess but at least it’s got a great theme song and a couple really good character actors.

A View To Kill and Living Daylights are GOAT theme songs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I buy it’s his last movie.

He’s going to make tv shows next or 8 part mini series but never a “movie”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly, even if he is serious about it right now, he's too much of a movie guy to not want to make another one a few years into retirement

He's spent ages talking about how he wants his career to end at ten movies and this'll be number ten, so...I can buy it. Kinda.

(You just have to count the two parts of Kill Bill as one movie or ignore Death Proof to make it work.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Feldegast42 posted:

I believe it as much as I believe Miyazaki is retiring for good after his next movie comes out.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It will be his last "film".

Movie 11 will be shot on an iPhone.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Maybe he knows something we don't...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

In portrait.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Casimir Radon posted:

In portrait.

Dream bigger

https://tarantinonfts.com/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Black Hole I remember watching as a tiny child at a drive-in theater. Was sad when Old B.O.B died. I didn't remember anything else about it for years until I watched it like 15 years ago and dug it despite it being way slow compared to modern film. Awesome aesthetics that look even better now in the age of CGI grey goo. There was a comic book series that did additional stories after they went through the black hole (uh, spoilers!) but I never read them even though I think there are scans online now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AceOfFlames posted:

I still find it hilarious that the last straw for him was finding out he was older than Tanya Roberts' mother. IIRC he wanted to leave for a while but that being the thing that made him go "no, seriously, gently caress THIS" makes me laugh.

Timby posted:

Roger Moore was horrified when he found out that not only was he older than Tanya Roberts, he was older than her mother, and he asked to be released from his contract so a more age-appropriate star could be cast. The producers flat-out turned him down.

Roberts may have told Moore that her mother was younger than him, but it looks like it wasn't true - best as I can figure she was born around 1923 and Moore was born in '27. Roberts I think claimed to have been born 6 years later than she actually was though, so I could see her just bumping everything back and saying her mom was born in 1929.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Baron von Eevl posted:

Roberts may have told Moore that her mother was younger than him, but it looks like it wasn't true - best as I can figure she was born around 1923 and Moore was born in '27. Roberts I think claimed to have been born 6 years later than she actually was though, so I could see her just bumping everything back and saying her mom was born in 1929.

Boy I bet Moore had egg on his face when he found that out!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Oh thank god, I'm actually 4 years younger than her mother! Well I guess it's time to do a few more of these then!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

I buy it’s his last movie.

He’s going to make tv shows next or 8 part mini series but never a “movie”

Or he will start working under the alias Trenton Quarantino and exclusively work on Star Trek sequels, horror schlock and cape poo poo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The singular seems weird, Tarantino films normally feature more than one revenge killing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s about an aggrieved film director who seeks revenge on a movie critic for calling him “foot Fucker”