Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
THOSE FUCKERS RUINED SERPENTICO'S MASK!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Penguin Patrol posted:

THOSE FUCKERS RUINED SERPENTICO'S MASK!!!!!!

I hope someone kicks their asses!

Also Ben Dejo is an A+ tier name.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Another fine ~2 hours of wrestling! A few really good to great matches and I'm already super on board with this Eddie/Claudio storyline.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I was going to say that my main hope for ROH is that they don't use it as a farm league for when wrestlers get too big for the studio shows. But then I realized that's always kind of been ROH's whole deal - bigger feds have always farmed them - just not in an official capacity.

It's too bad they couldn't base it in the northeast, but maybe they can tour to revisit the old Baltimore/Philly/NYC circuit someday. I think it loses something if it's the same Orlando Dark crowd.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Camping out in Orlando is one of the things I worry about long-term, are they going to be able to sustain good attendance and good audiences there? Touring doesn't really seem viable since there's so much overlap with AEW staff.

Unrelated to that, is Aussie Open just the most unremarkable, big name tag team? I've only seen their AEW/ROH stuff but I can't really tell you anything about them or their matches. They're not bad but they don't really do anything of note so the matches just kind of slide off of my memory.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ve not seen much of them but you should absolutely check out their match with FTR at the New Japan London show

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

That one dude has a pretty remarkable dump truck of an rear end

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rantmo posted:

Camping out in Orlando is one of the things I worry about long-term, are they going to be able to sustain good attendance and good audiences there? Touring doesn't really seem viable since there's so much overlap with AEW staff.

Hard to say, but NXT manages to fill their space weekly (poo poo I know a guy who drives over from Tampa once in awhile), so I'm sure there's enough wrestling fans in the area to show up once every couple months or whatever the taping schedule is, even ignoring that ROH is more niche than NXT.

Unrelated: Is Supercard of Honor on Honor Club or a separate PPV buy? I assume the latter, but just wondering. As soon as I heard the Reach for the Sky match with the Lucha Bros, it was an instant buy, even ignoring the rest of the card.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Endless Mike posted:

Hard to say, but NXT manages to fill their space weekly (poo poo I know a guy who drives over from Tampa once in awhile), so I'm sure there's enough wrestling fans in the area to show up once every couple months or whatever the taping schedule is, even ignoring that ROH is more niche than NXT.

Unrelated: Is Supercard of Honor on Honor Club or a separate PPV buy? I assume the latter, but just wondering. As soon as I heard the Reach for the Sky match with the Lucha Bros, it was an instant buy, even ignoring the rest of the card.

Pretty sure honor club includes all the new papes

Edit: I am apparently wrong, ignore me

Dacap fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 11, 2023

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

It's a separate buy. They said the PPVs will go up on Honor Club after 90 days.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

duckdealer posted:

It's a separate buy. They said the PPVs will go up on Honor Club after 90 days.

Great time to mention this: Final Battle 2022 is on Honor Club as of yesterday.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

rantmo posted:

If they can’t sell 450 seats to a monthly show at Universal Studios then they might as well pack it up.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I dunno how it works and am curious, how many hours is a taping? how many shows do they film in one session? do they do half a taping for one crowd and then do half for another crowd?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Their first tapings took place over two days on February 25th and 26th, each session lasting three hours. It looks as though those tapings will result in four shows.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The first taping had everything that was in the first two episodes. I've read that the second taping lasted over 7 hours, because they taped 20 dark matches as well.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

The second taping was two sessions, Dark from 1-4:30 and ROH at 7. It wasn’t a single stretch.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

All three tapings were about three and a half hours each

Really the main problem they will have is there's no merchandise and no concessions at the venue, honestly a bizarre choice. They would have sold a million RoH shirts.

Also the venue is pretty chilly, it was sweater temperature (and I live in Michigan!)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Taxman posted:

All three tapings were about three and a half hours each

Really the main problem they will have is there's no merchandise and no concessions at the venue, honestly a bizarre choice. They would have sold a million RoH shirts.

Also the venue is pretty chilly, it was sweater temperature (and I live in Michigan!)

I think that's an issue with their agreement with universal for use of the soundstage

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ROHhistory/status/1635243670529245184

One of the greatest in history.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Something big is coming and it should be on this episode

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Taxman posted:

Something big is coming and it should be on this episode

WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

I thought I would get to see Shibata in person but a match sounds great!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Supercard of Honor is looking so ridiculously good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Athena vs Yuka is exciting
Shibata vs Yuta is also cool
I'm also excited for Old Curtis Axel and Young Miz vs Daniels and Sydal

And those were just the matches they explicitly set up today, I'm already excited for the Lore feuds.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lol, the kid knowing exactly what Athena was going to do to him.

Also I absolutely love Athena right now

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

Pylons posted:

Supercard of Honor is looking so ridiculously good.

For real, after this episode, it looks like the Supercard……..card looks like this so far:

World Title - Claudio vs. Kingston
Reach for the Sky Ladder Match (Lucha Bros, maybe Daniels/Sydal, Trustbusters, Top Flight, Kingdom, Aussie Open)
Pure Title - Yuta vs. Shibata
Women’s Title - Athena vs. Yuka
TV Title - Joe vs. Briscoe
Shane Taylor vs. Silas Young

All pretty good to great matches. I feel like the Zero Hour matches are always fun, and it being Mania weekend, they could bring in literally anyone.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHThoughts

1) Claudio Castignoli vs Willie Mack. Two guys I really like, not quite meshing at the start. There's a few spots that need cooperation and don't really get it, but then they get on the same page and it's a contest of powerful athletic beasts. Willie vs Joe would also be fun. This was enjoyable but stayed in moderately low gear. Would be nice to see the pape version of this some time.

2) Mike Bennett vs Dante Martin. Nott Taven vs one of the best up and coming fliers in the game. Nicely hard hitting, and some beautiful high flying stuff from Dante. Taven calls Dante a Melvin. Martin hits an astonishing package powerbomb. Nice to see a match this physical from a high flier. Some very nicely paced reversals. Mike Bennett is very talented and slides out of my brain like he's on Teflon. Dante wins and looks great. Then gets beaten down by a wild Taven and saved by his brother. I'd watch this match.

3) Ari Davairi and Slim J vs Metalik and Blake Christian. Fun cruiserweight nonsense. Daivari and Slim J heel it up, Metalik does good Lucha things, Christian is less flashy but hugely talented. Everyone looks good, but Metalik and Christian could be a tag team to watch.

Package about Mark Briscoe and Samoa Joe. Cool.

We do some throw forward ADR to bring in the Ladder Match announcement from Rampage

4) Jeeves K vs Eddie Kingston. Squash, obviously, but VSK gets some fun bits in while Claudio is distracting Eddie. Comedy "code of honor" spot is cute.

Mark Sterling hypes his clients, Daivari gets annoyed at him. 6 man tag set up. Nice.

5) Athena vs Hyan. Heard of Hyan but haven't seen her before. Good look. Athena is such a loving goofball, I love her. Dominant Athena to start. Hyan has skill but needs momentum. Her style isn't fluid enough. SUPERB murderbomb spot from Athena to the floor, and then it's over. I could have done with more.

Metalik and Blake Christian interview. Bobby Beamer is only an okay promo. He brings in AR Fox for their trio. Interview is not great.

6) Silas Young vs Marcus Kross. Kross is fast and agile, Young is a tough grognardy bastard. This was a pretty decent bullying. Kross has no chance, young looks solid.

Silas Young cuts a promo saying he's unchallenged, then Shane Taylor comes out to challenge. Nice.

Athena bullies Lexi Nair and demands Yuka Sakazaki. Put Athena on a goddamn plane and have her come out at Grand Princess.

7) Dalton Castle and the Boys vs The Embassy. Big heels against plucky faces, nice dynamic. Dalton and the Boys survive well for a lot of the match, and it's notable how much Toa Liona has improved lately. He's a huge goober, but Cage is so much fun to watch. Eventually, with some fun power spots, the Embassy squash the Boys. Fun stuff

Post match the MetalBlake trio comes out to protect the Boys. That will be interesting.

8) Madison Rayne vs Trish Adora. Love Trish Adora. She brings the fight here HARD, and frankly makes Madison look like a pushover.

Top Flight interview

9) The Outrunners vs Daniels and Sydal. Turbo Floyd. Nice to see Sydal back. Outrunners look good and get some offense but this is a debutante match for Daniels and Sydal. And then-

Aussie Open! The lads pick a fight with Daniels and Sydal. I really want this.

10) Wheeler Yuta vs Clark Connors. This match is going to whip. Tenacious, technical, vicious. Yuta plays hard with the rules, hides closed fists from the ref. Yuta is great at goading Connors into using up his chances. Connors has some great shine, but ultimately Yuta outwrestles him. Great stuff.

Yuta talks poo poo, and... challenges Shibata! gently caress yes!

Lower key show than last week but still very watchable. Stories are in motion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 2 hours really flew by this week, I really enjoyed it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone help me out. SuperCard of Honor is on Fite on the 31 for $30. Wikipedia said it'll also be streaming on Honor Club, but is that only after 30: days?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Someone help me out. SuperCard of Honor is on Fite on the 31 for $30. Wikipedia said it'll also be streaming on Honor Club, but is that only after 30: days?

December press release: "Pay-per-view events will be available for viewing on HonorClub 90 days after they happen live"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

90 days after is bullshit

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

90 days after is bullshit

it wouldn't be ring of honor without some sort of laughable garbage with their ppvs

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

rare Magic card l00k posted:

it wouldn't be ring of honor without some sort of laughable garbage with their ppvs

Rest in Piss GoFightLive. You aren’t missed at all

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Good episode but I am once again left to wonder why people keep letting Madison Rayne wrestle because she just is not good at it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

rantmo posted:

Good episode but I am once again left to wonder why people keep letting Madison Rayne wrestle because she just is not good at it.

They mostly hired her as a coach, right? But could anybody be so bad at putting together a match that Madison Rayne could help them?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

El Generico posted:

They mostly hired her as a coach, right? But could anybody be so bad at putting together a match that Madison Rayne could help them?

Yes and that's what I've been wondering this entire time. Like I get that there are sports wherein unremarkable players can become great coaches but from my, admittedly very limited, understanding of how pro-wrestling works I don't see how that translates.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rantmo posted:

Yes and that's what I've been wondering this entire time. Like I get that there are sports wherein unremarkable players can become great coaches but from my, admittedly very limited, understanding of how pro-wrestling works I don't see how that translates.

Some pretty prolific trainers in wrestling have been absolute nobodies in the business. The guy who trained Chris Jericho was mostly a ref for Stampede wrestling, as an example. He also trained Lance Storm.

Another example would be Johnny Rodz
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Rodz

If you understand the fundamentals of how to work (i.e trying to put on a compelling match while protecting yourself and your opponent), you can train someone.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 18, 2023

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Yea she may have a good mind for the sport and how to lay out a match and even the correct way to do things but just physically is not at the level to execute the moves herself at the level others can. It’s entirely possible she’s an excellent coach but subpar performer

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

And to the same point, given how many times over the years I’ve heard “why aren’t they having [x person] train them to be better!?”

…sometimes people are bad at training but skilled themselves. And also, they just might not want to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I believe Madison was part of the Christy Hemme led round table that was producing TNA for a bit