Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm thinking about starting a thread for Geoguessr (browser game where you are placed somewhere in google streetview and you have to guess where it is from the surroundings), would that go better in Games or SAL since it's so based in geography and linguistics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you want people to see it put it in one of the games forums. SAL is not high traffic.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

If you want people to see it put it in one of the games forums. SAL is not high traffic.

Good point, I'll do that.

e: Posted

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 14, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, Games seems like a good place because it's a gamr and it's got a decent online presence with regards to streaming and such.

Hell, that one dude that's super good at it (rainbolt or something) became a meme that transcends geoguesser.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tiggum posted:

It's already on 100%, which is as low as it goes.

What about holding CTRL and scrolling the mouse wheel

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

What about holding CTRL and scrolling the mouse wheel
Viewing websites at 50% does make them much more usable, but it doesn't explain why everything, even the UI elements, are much bigger than in the screenshot that mobby_6kl posted. :confused:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tiggum posted:

Viewing websites at 50% does make them much more usable, but it doesn't explain why everything, even the UI elements, are much bigger than in the screenshot that mobby_6kl posted. :confused:
There no mystery though? Your screenshot is exactly what Mozilla intends Firefox to look like since some visual redesign the first quarter of 2021. The other screenshot is from a browser installed before that time that has the legacy compact setting grandfathered in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flipperwaldt posted:

There no mystery though? Your screenshot is exactly what Mozilla intends Firefox to look like since some visual redesign the first quarter of 2021. The other screenshot is from a browser installed before that time that has the legacy compact setting grandfathered in.

That's wrong. I just set my monitor resolution to 1280x720 and took this screenshot with a blank, default-settings firefox profile, version 111.0 (the most recent one).
You can see side-by-side with tiggum's screenshot that the UI is about half the size:

Tiggum posted:

Does your computer have a touchscreen input? Maybe a wacom tablet peripheral or something? Perhaps it is using the tablet-mode touch-accessible version of the UI.
The fact that it apparently affects Vivaldi too (which is a chrome fork) means it's definitely some windows setting somewhere and not anything in FF's own preferences.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 15, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
So there were some recent stories about Apple ID and password resets with phone access and Google accounts working the same way, and I've been poking at my phone's security settings and feeling a little alarmed.
I recently set up a Yubikey on my Google account and I'm a little confused on how (or even if) there's a way to make it for serious the only way to change my password. It's fine that if someone gets my phone they can, like, log in or whatever, the convenience outweighs the risk because I don't actually want to carry the Yubikey around, but I don't understand why having physical access to my phone is then also enough to change my password too, not just log in. Why isn't password changing a lot more difficult? Is there a way to make it dramatically more difficult without also locking down all the other login methods as well?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does your computer have a touchscreen input? Maybe a wacom tablet peripheral or something?
This wasn't it, but it did get me digging through the settings looking for anything relating to some possible tablet or touchscreen mode, and I found that in "Ease of Access" there's a second set of display options, and in there was a zoom setting specifically for text which had somehow been turned on. Putting that back down to 100% has fixed the issue. :dance:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

This wasn't it, but it did get me digging through the settings looking for anything relating to some possible tablet or touchscreen mode, and I found that in "Ease of Access" there's a second set of display options, and in there was a zoom setting specifically for text which had somehow been turned on. Putting that back down to 100% has fixed the issue. :dance:

Good to hear you got it fixed!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
That was a pretty gripping mystery and I’m not even joking, thread. Love the happy ending. :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's wrong.
Yeah, good call. I was stupid to insist without actually testing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have a car but I don't know anything about cars. I add gas, antifreeze and motor oil when it's low, but other than that I don't know anything about maintenance. I am about to go on a trip and want to make sure my car will survive. Also, I've had it a few years. I want to just bring it to a place and say "Is my car good or bad, and if bad can you make good?"

Is that a thing one does? Do I need to contact a mechanic and talk about this? Can I just drive it up to an Oil Can Henry's? A friend suggested I take it to Les Schwab but I think that's just a tire place. I'm so automobile illiterate :|

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you ever had the oil changed?

Edit: If you’ve never had the oil changed then it is almost definitively “bad” but if it’s still drivable hopefully a mechanic can make it good before it blows up on you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Well, poo poo. I had an appointment I was about to go to, and I was going to just bring my car into a mechanic's place on the way back, but I guess I waited too loving long because now my car won't start. What loving timing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

lmao

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Well that's at least a cheap way to know it's not working.

Sorry though, that sucks.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What city do you live in?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You should be able to find your car's manual online, and then find the maintenance schedule inside that manual. It'll include things like how often to change your oil (generally 1-2x/year or every 5-10k miles), how often to rotate tires, when to check your battery, etc.

You probably also want to replace your windshield wipers if you've never done that. They only really last a year or two depending on conditions.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

credburn posted:

I have a car but I don't know anything about cars. I add gas, antifreeze and motor oil when it's low, but other than that I don't know anything about maintenance. I am about to go on a trip and want to make sure my car will survive. Also, I've had it a few years. I want to just bring it to a place and say "Is my car good or bad, and if bad can you make good?"

Is that a thing one does? Do I need to contact a mechanic and talk about this? Can I just drive it up to an Oil Can Henry's? A friend suggested I take it to Les Schwab but I think that's just a tire place. I'm so automobile illiterate :|

You go to a mechanic and say "I have had my car for [x] years and I've never had it serviced, please help".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What kind of car are we talking about here op?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
By far the single most important maintenance task is changing the engine oil and oil filter.

Checking the level with the dipstick and keeping it from running dry is good and can prevent immediate destruction of the engine, but you need to get the old oil out of there and put in a new filter with new capacity to catch particulates.

There’s other stuff that may need to be dealt with sooner or later, but every car needs the oil and filter changed regularly. It’ll cost you under fifty bucks maybe every six months, and failing to do it will pretty quickly cost you thousands of dollars by destroying the engine.

Even a lot of people who can and have done oil changes themselves routinely take their cars to a quick change shop. Their services are so quick and priced so aggressively that it can be worth it just to keep your hands clean.

The quick change places may try to upsell you on services that you may or may not need, but at least let them do the oil.

e: The time interval is more of a suggestion. If your car says to change the oil at five thousand miles or six months, don’t sweat the six months as long as it doesn’t become like literal years. Pushing it to eighteen months because you didn’t drive five thousand miles in all that time is more or less harmless with modern cars and modern oils. Pushing it to fifteen thousand miles isn’t.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 17, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of quick-change shops, they'll probably try to sell you on replacing your cabin and engine air filters, since those are easy tasks to perform and thus an easy source of money. They may well bring out a filthy filter and say it's yours...if you're lucky, it actually will be your filter, and not one they keep handy for scaring customers with. A dirty engine air filter may worsen your engine's efficiency and power; a dirty cabin air filter will worsen the air quality that you breathe, and the amount of airflow you get.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last time I had tires put on, the guy came up to me with “oh by the way your air filter could use a replacement”.

I asked “which one?” and he went “uhhhhh both of them”.

Honestly, I had been meaning to look up the part number of the engine air filter and order it myself, and I would have paid a small premium to get it then and there, but he lost a sale by not being even slightly prepared.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Asking a mechanic if your car needs anything is a good way to get swindled.

Unfortunately there’s not much you can do to avoid that if you:
A) Don’t know much about cars
B) Don’t know a mechanic you trust

But unless a mechanic is honest he is just gonna tell you that you need a bunch of poo poo that you don’t, and possibly actually replace the parts he said he did.

That’s from my experience from working at a Genera Motors repair facility for 7 years.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Does car mechanicry breed these types? Every bike mechanic I've talked to (admittedly, only a few) has been exceedingly chill

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Killingyouguy! posted:

Does car mechanicry breed these types? Every bike mechanic I've talked to (admittedly, only a few) has been exceedingly chill
Since cars are expensive and complex, a lot of people won't look much at the internals/learn much about how they work. This is an opportunity for grifters to, say, lie about the air filter/other hidden things needing a change. With a bicycle there's less opportunity for that (and if you meant motorcycle maybe those owners tend to be more knowledgeable).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

I’ve had bike shops try to upsell me on dubious maintenance things as well. Had my bike in for warranty (broken brifter) and when I dropped it off they tried to sell me on some high pressure frame clearance because I have internal cable routing. When I picked it up it was “cable lubricant treatment” which I clarified was just dripping some ceramic lube into the cable housing and charging $12.99 for the privilege.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve also had a bikeshop replace a punctured inner tube with one 5 sizes too large or something crazy. They had to fold it over itself to get it to fit, so definitely done on purpose, likely because they didn’t have the correct size on hand.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Who is the goon that did the resume service and had lots of good reviews? I could use the help sprucing mine up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Who is the goon that did the resume service and had lots of good reviews? I could use the help sprucing mine up.

Parahexavocal but I've been using ChatGPT for getting the basic outline down and it seems to produce similar resumes.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 is his thread

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Thank you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RCarr posted:

But unless a mechanic is honest he is just gonna tell you that you need a bunch of poo poo that you don’t, and possibly actually replace the parts he said he did.

That’s from my experience from working at a Genera Motors repair facility for 7 years.

just bring a friend who is into cars with you imo

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I understand why Japan refers to Britain and such as the West, but why does the US get lumped into that? Like, US territory is closer from the East, right?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Australia is also usually included. It's more about the cultural heritage, colonization, immigration, and influence. You start with Europe as West and China as East, North America and Australia get colonized by Europe, they're now the West too.

Unless Japan has some other specific meaning it places on it, I dunno.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Yeah I saw this on the Fit forums recently, there was an issue with the transmission on a 15 year old econobox and the shop rebuilt it:

If you know what's up, you could tell them (or go to a different place) to install a used transmission that's like $200. Also the sway bar links were fine and the customer didn't ask for them.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It is with a weird sense of trepidation that I suggest trying something.

Next time you have a question, ask ChatGPT, as well as here, and see how it goes.

Leave posted:

I understand why Japan refers to Britain and such as the West, but why does the US get lumped into that? Like, US territory is closer from the East, right?

the computer posted:

The term "the West" can be used in different ways and contexts, but generally, it refers to the regions of the world that are predominantly influenced by Western culture, politics, and values. This includes countries such as the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and much of Europe.

It's true that the United States is geographically located closer to the East than some other countries commonly referred to as "the West," such as Britain or France. However, the United States is still considered part of the West because of its historical, cultural, and political ties to Europe, as well as its dominant position in the Western world's global influence.

The United States was founded by European settlers, and its political and legal systems are based on European models. Throughout its history, the United States has maintained close cultural and economic ties with Europe and has often taken a leading role in Western alliances and organizations such as NATO and the EU. The United States also shares many values and cultural traits with other Western nations, such as individualism, democracy, and a strong work ethic.

Therefore, while the United States may not be geographically located in the western part of the world, it is still considered an integral part of the West due to its shared cultural, political, and economic connections with other Western nations.

I, and I'm sure many others, specifically enjoy the human element of threads like this, and of art and poetry and story-telling, and am not wild about loosing that. We're entering a new era and we need to get our heads around it pretty quick.

But my answer is geographically simpler: we follow the daylight. Consider the earth a 2D thing, with the edge being the international dateline. We go east to west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Follow the sun; I should have known. I mean, if you get the moniker Land of the Rising Sun, you're kind of the authority on direction-based names.