Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
He’ll turn it around in the sense of actually fulfilling your deepest desire is the end of the chase, might as well lay down and die happy - instead he’ll get to forever chase the desire which kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I mean, given everything we've seen, the Winged Lion was creating dungeons and monsters in the name of fulfilling desires. Laios will never see a monster again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Glazius posted:

I mean, given everything we've seen, the Winged Lion was creating dungeons and monsters in the name of fulfilling desires. Laios will never see a monster again.

Yeah, if there was only the one demon responsible for all of the magic behind dungeons and their inhabitants, Laios getting the Winged Lion to gently caress off forever also necessarily means that the source behind all the dungeons is now gone.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, if there was only the one demon responsible for all of the magic behind dungeons and their inhabitants, Laios getting the Winged Lion to gently caress off forever also necessarily means that the source behind all the dungeons is now gone.

Pretty sure it's meant to be one demon per dungeon (the demon that got Mithrun was different and got ganked by the canaries), so it's just that dungeon that's gone. So Laios could travel the world looking for dungeons to carry on his monster freak ways.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Pretty sure it's meant to be one demon per dungeon (the demon that got Mithrun was different and got ganked by the canaries), so it's just that dungeon that's gone. So Laios could travel the world looking for dungeons to carry on his monster freak ways.

every demon is the same demon, the Winged Lion is just the incarnation that's had the most success. they're kind of like the Orz from Star Control

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SexyBlindfold posted:

IIRC the big reveal was that all demons were aspects of the same entity, even if they appeared in different incarnations in specific dungeons.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yeah the Winged Lion spoke to Mithrun as someone who knew each other personally.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

yum posted:

dang that 2 spreader of Laios devouring the lion had extremely sexual undertones. Very disturbing

so good

literally everything since the lion has been introduced has been sexual as gently caress

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lion's weird bestial sexuality is a good bit since it doesn't match the modern seductive demon we see in most pop culture but its perfect for the monster stuff in this (and ofc Laois lmao)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Snooze Cruise posted:

Lion's weird bestial sexuality is a good bit since it doesn't match the modern seductive demon we see in most pop culture but its perfect for the monster stuff in this (and ofc Laois lmao)

It's so overtly sexual too especially with the page after, lol.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure this is it, yeah.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, Laios seemed to figure out a decent enough direct way to solve the dungeon problem that i'm assuming is going to end with everyone mostly ok. And he's an idiot!

Tbh he was probably only able to get to this particular outcome because he's a weird idiot genius. No one else had the right blend of fixations, knowledge, and outlook to be able to take this approach.

I actually think there's maybe a bit of meta-commentary there in terms of Kui's self-perspective; and, really, that Laios has been her author-insert more than any other character for most of the manga, or more specifically, that she has a very strong inner Laios which has been sincerely represented in the Dungeon Meshi character. All the signs point to her having some very freaky tastes (which this chapter *really* shows off) by most people's standards, but the key point is that this is essential to her artistic identity and success. I didn't go into this chapter expecting to see weird spiritual cannibalism/soul-vore erotic not-bestiality in the compositional style of a Renaissance painting themed to Goya (though in retrospect of earlier Lion/Demon chapters and her other works I really should've), but that's what Kui conceived and delivered. And it's superb. It's one of those things that'll stick in your brain forever as a benchmark of masterful creative vision. It's actually the work of a genius, in the exclusive holy-poo poo-she's-one-of-a-kind sense. I wouldn't be able to see anything precisely like it from anyone else because no one else has that idiosyncratic mix of particular Kui weirdness, circumstances, and talent to tread the path that led to this scene and its chapter - and Dungeon Meshi, more broadly -- taking form the way they did.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

goblin week posted:

literally everything since the lion has been introduced has been sexual as gently caress

That dang lion has been prancing about all sexual-like for far too long...

Makes sense since it's the embodiment of desire: it's self-motivated by desire and also exploits it in others. There's the theme of physiological desires, like sex and hunger but also higher psychological ones like safety, belonging, achievement, etc. which it uses to tempt humans and human-like species. The sex stuff probably represents the seductive nature of desire. Stupid sexy lion

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, to be fair, it's not the sexiest demonic entity I've seen defeated by erotic cannibalism at the climax of a manga, so it trying to overcome the gap by trying harder makes sense.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, to be fair, it's not the sexiest demonic entity I've seen defeated by erotic cannibalism at the climax of a manga, so it trying to overcome the gap by trying harder makes sense.

If I had a nickel for every time a devil figure, known for manipulating others through their desires, was erotically cannibalized in an agonizing fashion that ultimately undid their air of dignity and left them looking panicked and kind of pathetic, by a protagonist who they'd written off as an irrelevancy after what appeared to be a deeply one-sided fight, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poltergrift posted:

If I had a nickel for every time a devil figure, known for manipulating others through their desires, was erotically cannibalized in an agonizing fashion that ultimately undid their air of dignity and left them looking panicked and kind of pathetic, by a protagonist who they'd written off as an irrelevancy after what appeared to be a deeply one-sided fight, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

Honestly, the OTHER MANGA was less horny about it even though it resulted in them metaphorically producing a child.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the other one?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the other one?

Chainsaw Man, I assume

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-03-04/delicious-in-dungeon-dishes-recreated-in-36-tokyo-shops/.195242

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The food looks good but this is also the first time I've ever seen someone use PDF files like this.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Already time for a new chapter?!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good chap

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Aww, that was really good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving adore that she's able to draw Senshi, who has no mouth to speak of due to the obscuring helmet and much lower face detail compared to everyone else, so clearly grinning ear to ear in this panel

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So if the demon is no longer a threat to the world, what will happen to the captain, whose only driving animus is his desire to kill the demon?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

So if the demon is no longer a threat to the world, what will happen to the captain, whose only driving animus is his desire to kill the demon?

I imagine he can finally rest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He will try tearing open the dimensions to go stab the demon on its home turf

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this has been one of my favourite rpg-flavoured stories ever and I’m glad we’re about to get a bunch of merch for it

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Ryoko Kui seems like the worlds best DM for a dnd campaign.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

As soon as I realized what was gonna happen, I started playing Bye Bye There! from Pizza Tower to set the mood when reading this chapter. :shittydog:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
This was a great chapter, I really enjoyed this whole manga. Its been an amazing story.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Sorry we turned you into a sorbet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Man, I dunno how to feel about this. Nice to see things wrapping up, but I'll be sad to see it go. I know everything's converging on an ending, but for the first time in a long time I wish it could go on.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Just IMAGINE a manga that had a good satisfying ending and run

IMAGINE

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I suspect even after Dungeon Meshi is done we'll still have several year's worth of sketches and illustrations of the gang wearing cute clothes.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
If Kui really wanted to I'm sure they could take their time with inventing new conflicts in the quest to bring Falin back. I think to some extent it would feel contrived but so would a relatively quick solution, and either way I can't see them not bringing Falin back for a True Happy Ending. But yeah, probably the quick resolution is the one with the highest chance of a satisfying end. drat did this series feel too short though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's better to leave them wanting more than to overextend, but it's been awhile since I've read anything I didn't want to end. Like, I enjoyed Golden Kamuy from start to finish, but when it ended I was like "Yep, that's the end." Dungeon Meshi, meanwhile, has left me yearning for another campaign. I know we shouldn't, but man, MAN.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
When are we going to find out what Laius’s succubus looked like? This is important information.

It is mentioned the succubus chapter that the mosquito-succubus isn’t the only kind, that the more well-known kind of succubus is actually a kind of demon. Back in that chapter, we did not know what demons really were. Given what we now know, does this description of a succubus as “a demon” make sense? Sure, maybe the desire thing fits, but demons should be really really rare and also people aren’t supposed to know what they are.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

When are we going to find out what Laius’s succubus looked like? This is important information.

Unless, of course, you mean revealed to the rest of the cast.