Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

Hey all, REALLY wanted Everyone to see this post from the Riven Roleplay Rapist who spoke up earlier before this gets closed

:) but synthy can't see 99% of the forum and Larry gets a permaban.... right?

"Our dog partner is black and my cat partner is worried about the racial overtones of our pet play. "

"You're hired as our new diversity coordinator "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

TheSwizzler posted:

well there's a free spot so admin Rhino

what has rhino ever done to make someone evil enough to say this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Hey all, REALLY wanted Everyone to see this post from the Riven Roleplay Rapist who spoke up earlier before this gets closed

oh my go d lol

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not familiar with this type of adventure game puzzle but my suggestion is to consult the hint helpline

I ain't shelling out for a 900

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks to the people who knew about this and stuck their heads above the parapet (for a second time apparently) to let us all know. It must have sucked to have to bring this all up again, especially given the previous dismissal of your concerns, and I'm sorry you had to

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Arivia posted:

podima is still listed as IK of traditional games and most importantly the subforum of trad games, the game room, where recruiting for games like this clusterfuck happens. those ik permissions should also be removed if they haven't been yet. this ik-ship is still listed on his profile for both forums.

Thanks I am not near my computer but someone else can clean this up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lol What the gently caress

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I permad that poster like 20 minutes ago and before I reopened this thread.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Meinberg posted:

FWIW, I do not think that Podima is a sex pest. I do think that he doesn’t understand the effect that being in a position of power enables him, and this carelessness leads to abuses that while not intentional are still harmful. I don’t think he deserves a perma or whatever, but I agree in stating that I feel uncomfortable with the idea of him as an admin.

This sums up my feelings too.

I was in the Riven game, and the other games related to it. It'll take me a while to figure out what if anything I feel like saying about it all, since I left that community before Bees' stuff happened. But my takeaway was similar to what Meinberg said here. I considered Pod a good friend who's run some incredible games, and I believe he does have the best of intentions. But he doesn't seem to understand just how unhealthy that RP community was getting. And anyone who's tried to tell him some why either gets not taken seriously, ignored, or...whatever the hell happened in Bees' game.

Their format of games just really sucks people in, to unhealthy levels. It's like having an always-on MUD or MMORPG. It used to be based off Mafia with a dayphase and nightphase, so you RP'ed in your area during dayphase then at least had the nightphase downtime while actions got resolved and everything was closed. And even that was already too much, with people having constant FOMO and getting way too much emotional bleed from how much it was consuming their life. I used to try and mention ideas for how that could maybe be scaled back some in future games. But from what I heard, it only got worse, with people able to move to different areas freely so you weren't even limited to your one spot and group during the phase. Now you've got FOMO about everyone.

The whole culture of secrecy thing is another huge part of what makes things so harmful. I played along with some very painful things in these games. I squashed down most of my complaints over the course of six real life months, waiting for a postgame debriefing where we could talk through things properly OOC. Only for that to seem impossible, since everyone's emotions were running so high, and my having problems with a villain character being celebrated was getting conflated with making GBS threads on other people's experience. (I didn't even dislike the villain's existence at all! I just hated that people wanted to forget that he tortured my character!) And it was too hard to discuss anything around what happened with some characters in the game, since their players had already left, and it felt like some huge taboo to even mention their names. That taboo feeling is the worst. I would have been completely fine with so much hosed up poo poo, if only I'd felt like I could have properly talked it through with people out of character. I wasn't around for Bees' game, but from what I've heard, a lot of the personal hurt feelings are around that culture of just booting people out and not giving them space to be heard.

I left after that game, cause it just hurt too much to see this crowd all patting each other on the back for how great and inclusive and emotionally-switched on they were when I still felt like poo poo. And Pod tried really hard to hear me out personally, I appreciate that he tried. But poo poo was so hosed up that it wasn't enough, and when I started hearing rumours of what went down in Bees' game, I stopped trying to stay in touch cause it looked like Pod and the rest of the group hadn't even learned anything.

It's not all entirely on Pod's shoulders. All the main "storyteller" admins besides him seem to enable each other to make things more toxic. I had a lot of great moments in some of these games (and Mafia games) thanks to Podima. I wish him and even the other people I didn't get along with the best. But even me, someone who really appreciates the good stuff he's done and played these RP games with all the good-faith trust in the mods they say they need, I still got pretty hurt by the games too. And I wasn't listened to either, at least no about the stuff that mattered. It's just really sad, and it took me a lot of time and therapy to sort out how hosed up and disappointing it all was.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah shout out to docbeard for opening this, discussion was had and things were resolved and it didn't take a week of back and forth/radio silence. Dude's been a consistently good IK.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Thanks I am not near my computer but someone else can clean this up.

I'm not pushing admin panel buttons because I became an admin several hours ago and know fuckall about how to remove IKs

edit: it's taken care of tho

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the future of SA is looking bright as hell

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not pushing admin panel buttons because I became an admin several hours ago and know fuckall about how to remove IKs

Just do it what's the worst that can happen

*forums tumble off a cliff and catch fire, a single wheel rolls out of the burning wreckage*

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i removed the IK permissions. its fixed.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Oh so no one else finds it weird that podima is good enough friends with the pet play riven rapist to run games together where they magically rape and piss on players and lock them away in secret rooms where no one knows whats going on and "they know best" and have sex dolls of the players and yet... and yet...

SOMEHOW HE WAS MADE AN ADMIN? It look 3 loving seconds to look at the post history and connect the dots here

But yeah, Larry and Synthy are the menace of the forums... right?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah shout out to docbeard for opening this, discussion was had and things were resolved and it didn't take a week of back and forth/radio silence. Dude's been a consistently good IK.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

Lmao that's like level 10 admin panel poo poo too. People like to say radium this and radium that, but the backend is truly a nightmare. I still get scared doing simple poo poo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bifauxnen's post touches on something I wasn't sure how to say which is that if you're not in the hobby, it's hard to explain how life-consuming and emotional and high-stakes online RP can feel. In my early 20s I used to get *way* too sucked into similar online spaces, and there are good reasons I don't join those kinds of games any more.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

While I don't understand rp in the slightest, consent is pretty simple and there was definitely some consent issues here that were beyond simple misunderstandings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

these people really seem like the types that think using a bunch of HR inclusivity speak is a gateway to moral purity instead of the actual material facts of whats happening in a situation

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
SAD worked as it should, and the users didn't have to go on dirty protest. All things considered, I think this went well once a problem was reported.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8QzckJvUI

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hopefully in a week when it happens again the thread can be just as efficient.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
hit the wrong button in the admin panel and next thing you know you're handed an 18 page backstory with orders to get in there and gently caress THAT BOT

Endorph posted:

these people really seem like the types that think using a bunch of HR inclusivity speak is a gateway to moral purity instead of the actual material facts of whats happening in a situation

what you so mad about? I gave a content warning before the unwanted advances

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 19, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

SAD worked as it should, and the users didn't have to go on dirty protest. All things considered, I think this went well once a problem was reported.

others have pointed out if podima didn't step down i do not think this would have gone as well.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
The other day I made my first post in FYAD after over 10 years on this forum.

Then I decided to hold off focusing on that for a bit and instead joined a Mafia game in the Trad Games forum (which has been really fun and engaging!).

Didn't uhh...didn't expect this...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My Racially Inclusive Sexual Animal Roleplay Relationship.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

not tryna be negative, honestly, i agree this was pretty rapid all things considered. but ffs. an iota of communication between the admins and community before the decision was Handed Down from On High would have saved all this effort and concern, and been better for the folks involved to boot. how many times do we have to relearn this lesson

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
lol Podima gave me a probe for calling another poster a human toilet after said poster repeatedly defended a game that prominently features rape art. Pod said it was "inappropriate and gross" but now it all makes sense. Inappropriate and gross fucker no wonder you wanted to protect the rape art fan.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

The other day I made my first post in FYAD after over 10 years on this forum.

Then I decided to hold off focusing on that for a bit and instead joined a Mafia game in the Trad Games forum (which has been really fun and engaging!).

Didn't uhh...didn't expect this...

This is just ancillary rot being cleaned out

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i can't believe i made a point in sagas discussion about "hey we maybe shouldn't go hunting down people's posts to find out the weird opinions they used to have in order to own them" and then this guy's post history includes "how do i make i sexy animal roleplaying more inclusive"

i'm so conflicted ngl lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

haha what posted:

docbeard made the right call

first time for everything I guess

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

others have pointed out if podima didn't step down i do not think this would have gone as well.

That isn't true at all. Stepping down at the least wasn't an option just to be clear.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Their format of games just really sucks people in, to unhealthy levels. It's like having an always-on MUD or MMORPG. It used to be based off Mafia with a dayphase and nightphase, so you RP'ed in your area during dayphase then at least had the nightphase downtime while actions got resolved and everything was closed. And even that was already too much, with people having constant FOMO and getting way too much emotional bleed from how much it was consuming their life. I used to try and mention ideas for how that could maybe be scaled back some in future games. But from what I heard, it only got worse, with people able to move to different areas freely so you weren't even limited to your one spot and group during the phase. Now you've got FOMO about everyone.

The whole culture of secrecy thing is another huge part of what makes things so harmful. I played along with some very painful things in these games. I squashed down most of my complaints over the course of six real life months, waiting for a postgame debriefing where we could talk through things properly OOC.

The discussion of disallowing OOC stuff triggered some latent memories I had about playing muds and mushes ages ago where OOC was strictly illegal and admins would ban you if they found out you were doing it.

I don't know jack poo poo about about most of what was discussed itt, but I can confirm that RP intense games where OOC is illegal is a very old recipe for a very hosed up power structure that is super easy to turn sour. Players get way too sucked in and stuff gets weird very easily if the admins are a little shady or immature. Recipe for absolutely insane situations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

speng31b posted:

The discussion of disallowing OOC stuff triggered some latent memories I had about playing muds and mushes ages ago where OOC was strictly illegal and admins would ban you if they found out you were doing it.

I don't know jack poo poo about about most of what was discussed itt, but I can confirm that RP intense games where OOC is illegal is a very old recipe for a very hosed up power structure that is super easy to turn sour. Players get way too sucked in and stuff gets weird very easily if the admins are a little shady or immature. Recipe for absolutely insane situations.

Do you remember WORA? Goddamn that was a forum and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fluffdaddy posted:

That isn't true at all. Stepping down at the least wasn't an option just to be clear.

Ah, by mutual agreement as they say in the football (soccer) world