Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

Few enough that I wish you'd puy a spoiler tag on that I guess.

Vulkan Lives is a decade old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

moths posted:

I put a question mark there because it was unclear, but I think it underscores my main point:

I read six consecutive books featuring the Sigismund/Dorn beef and wasn't given enough information to know what it was about.

But I got full and satisfying stories for Abbadon, lil' Horus, Peturabo, some random Death Guard guy, etc.

It seems safe to say that if you're reading a BL book and the character is interesting, they're a villain.
Am I a servant to an evil imperialist dictatorship? No, it is the traitors who are wrong.

- every loyalist

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

specifically the fortune kind of implied that if sigismund had taken command of the fleet he’d have died but might have done significantly more to stop the traitors, maybe even blunting the heresy in its tracks

My recollection was that he was told staying and disobeying the order would be much more important impact than going. Dorn got pissy because not only did Sigismund disobey a direct order, he didn't really believe in predicting the future so thought Sigismund was stupid on top of disloyal.

Black Griffon posted:

Few enough that I wish you'd puy a spoiler tag on that I guess.

lol what? There are multiple books that have been out for a very long time where this is a central plot point.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

oh look here comes the fuckin inquisition out to arrest me for my perfect and beautiful posts and opinions. don't you have a rogue to coerce into inevitably horrifying and deadly service.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Am I a servant to an evil imperialist dictatorship? No, it is the traitors who are wrong.

- every loyalist

I love the rogal Dorn short story that is about how he had to be the pretorian because he always so strongly embodied the best ideals of the Imperium and it's a story of him waging a campaign against a human empire that has amazing tactical cohesion and can have fleets just zap in and out through the territory. After the legion finally breaks them and he's negotiating the peace terms, he's all "Oh, you guys will love to be reunited with the human realm, and the Mechanicum will be interested in the tiny implants in your brains that give you that tactical integration!" And they go "Oh those are not implants, they are gene-mods. It was too much trouble to keep installing them so we added them to our DNA" and he just blinks, leaves the room and tells his troops "Kill them. Every last one."

Which is why all the high-minded noble "Oh woe, our awesome ideals are brought so low by this betrayal, we are such humanists!" talk around the loyal primarchs and Vulkan/Sanguinius especially always feels -really- forced. These guys were setting civilizations on fire to the last child because they got a xenos vaccine, not that long ago, and all of a sudden they're going on like Cpt Jean-Luc Picard!

The best authors know how to play with that as it being the core of the Imperial moral blindspot, but it's rarer than it should be. I remember one author even had a good afterword about how when things went to poo poo in the first book, and Horus gave the order to open fir eon another, friendly human civilisation, his command was "Illuminate them!", and how much hubris tha tlittle detail reveals.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I liked that short story about Vulkan, the leader of what is commonly agreed to be the nicest and most compassionate Legion, stomping a bunch of Eldar children into mush. The loyalists are all hypocrites. At least good ol Curze knows what he's doing is bad, he's just having fun with it (when he's not too busy being crazy of course)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

My recollection was that he was told staying and disobeying the order would be much more important impact than going. Dorn got pissy because not only did Sigismund disobey a direct order, he didn't really believe in predicting the future so thought Sigismund was stupid on top of disloyal.

It’s been a long time but my recollection is that Keeler told him he could either die alone under the light of an unknown star, forgotten, or he could stand with Dorn. But if he did the second thing the result would be “war without end.”

He did the second thing, and hey, look where we are.

But I think mostly what pissed Dorn off was Sigismund just not following orders.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok I'm about ten pages into the end and the death and ADB is just so loving good.

Horus has a throwaway like about his father finding a throne, and how it changed everything.

And historically, it did. From this essay:

quote:

Olga Palagia
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
There is no evidence in either Greece or Macedon in the archaic and classical periods that the throne functioned as a symbol of royalty. Thrones were for the gods and their priests. Only the king of Persia used a royal throne and even had portable thrones for his campaigns. This paper argues that after his conquest of the Persian Empire, Alexander the Great adopted the throne as a royal symbol; after his death, his throne became a token of his invisible presence. Philip III Arrhidaeus is known to have used a royal throne after his return to Macedonia. By implication, the marble thrones found in three tombs at Vegina–Aegae are here understood as symbols of royalty and the tombs are interpreted as royal.

By "changed everything," ADB and Horus used that particular historical pivot to lay the groundwork for everything we know about the Emperor of 40k.

With one line. The symbolic transmutation of gods and religion into kings and royalty.

He's a treasure. Easily the hardest hitter in the BL lineup.

E: I'm spoiling that the Emperor was Alexander the Great because that's a pretty big drop.

moths fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

moths posted:

Ok I'm about ten pages into the end and the death and ADB is just so loving good.

Horus has a throwaway like about his father finding a throne, and how it changed everything.

And historically, it did. From this essay:

By "changed everything," ADB and Horus used that particular historical pivot to lay the groundwork for everything we know about the Emperor of 40k.

With one line. The symbolic transmutation of gods and religion into kings and royalty.

He's a treasure. Easily the hardest hitter in the BL lineup.

E: I'm spoiling that the Emperor was Alexander the Great because that's a pretty big drop.

check the author on that book dawg

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

check the author on that book dawg

ADB did say if Abnett didn't get to finish the Heresy it wouldn't be right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy gently caress!

My abnett appreciation just went through the roof.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Aan DaBnet

Edit: Aan Da Battlenet

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Man I used to think working for the Iron Hands would be the worst but after struggling through the new flesh tearers book, I think we have a new winner. What a bunch of completely unlikeable jerks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm about 75% through Baal Gets hosed 2 Hell and I think these blood angels might have some bad apples guys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sephyr posted:

I love the rogal Dorn short story that is about how he had to be the pretorian because he always so strongly embodied the best ideals of the Imperium and it's a story of him waging a campaign against a human empire that has amazing tactical cohesion and can have fleets just zap in and out through the territory. After the legion finally breaks them and he's negotiating the peace terms, he's all "Oh, you guys will love to be reunited with the human realm, and the Mechanicum will be interested in the tiny implants in your brains that give you that tactical integration!" And they go "Oh those are not implants, they are gene-mods. It was too much trouble to keep installing them so we added them to our DNA" and he just blinks, leaves the room and tells his troops "Kill them. Every last one."

Which is why all the high-minded noble "Oh woe, our awesome ideals are brought so low by this betrayal, we are such humanists!" talk around the loyal primarchs and Vulkan/Sanguinius especially always feels -really- forced. These guys were setting civilizations on fire to the last child because they got a xenos vaccine, not that long ago, and all of a sudden they're going on like Cpt Jean-Luc Picard!

The best authors know how to play with that as it being the core of the Imperial moral blindspot, but it's rarer than it should be. I remember one author even had a good afterword about how when things went to poo poo in the first book, and Horus gave the order to open fir eon another, friendly human civilisation, his command was "Illuminate them!", and how much hubris tha tlittle detail reveals.
There's some interesting hypocrisy there what with Dorn being ||the leader of a whole pile of gene-modded manbabies.||.

Also I think the "illuminate them" bit is perhaps both hubris and a simple pun on the 20th century saying "light 'em up".

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, it's definitely moved away from it's 2000AD inspired tongue in cheek comedy roots.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I liked that short story about Vulkan, the leader of what is commonly agreed to be the nicest and most compassionate Legion, stomping a bunch of Eldar children into mush.

Do you have any further information about this short story?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

moths posted:

That's not a spoiler at all that's just confirmation of a common sense deduction anyone would make just by looking at him.

What I really know is whether he was Napoleon or Hitler

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Do you have any further information about this short story?

Vulkan Lives posted:

A single eldar witch remained, her face blackened by soot, her silver hair singed and burned. She looked up at the Lord of the Drakes, eyes watering, rage telegraphed in the tightness of her lips and the angle of her brow. The faltering kine-shield that had spared her life crackled and disappeared into ether.
She was not much older than a child, a witchling. Teeth clenched, fighting the grief at the death of her coven, the eldar offered up her wrists in surrender.
Numeon and the others had just breached the crowds, which were now slowly dissipating into the wider desert and being mopped up diligently by Nemetor and the rest of the Legion. In the wake of the fleeing civilians, the true cost of the eldar’s escape attempt was revealed.
Men, women, children; Khar-tans and Imperials alike, lay dead. Crushed. Blood ran in red rivulets across the sand, the death toll in the hundreds.
Amongst them a solitary figure was conspicuous, crowded by a clutch of battered remembrancers unwilling to let anyone close, desperate to defend her unmoving body.
Vulkan saw her last of all, the shock of this discovery turning to anger on his noble face. His eyes blazed, embers flickered to infernos.
The eldar child raised her hands higher, defiance turning into fear upon her alien features.
Numeon held the others back, warning them with a look not to intervene.
Glaring down at her, Vulkan raised his fist…
Don’t do it…
…and turned the air into fire.
The eldar child’s screams didn’t last. They merged with the roar of the flames, turning into one horrific cacophony of sound. When it was over and the last xenos was a smoking husk of burned meat, Vulkan looked up and met the gaze of the Night.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

i mean thats sorta the point. even the picards of the imperium are backwards monsters who would roast entire worlds alive over some weird tech herecy or because they made friends with aliens. in the world of 40k, their is no outside reference for anyone to look to as an alternative example because those were either crushed in the great crusade or died even longer ago. to make a weird rear end comparison. its like nightmare before christmas. the halloween town folks legit dont comprehend christmass because its so far removed from anything they know or understand. or trying to explain the internet to someone in 18th century.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

What I really know is whether he was Napoleon or Hitler

They both were total monsters so he was both of them

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
comedy answer, he was JFK

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm pretty sure there's a story where Lorgar brings up Big E being Alexander The Great as one of the many, many reasons he's so pissed at him. Half of the old mans personas were people proclaiming themselves to be gods that walk among men that all should worship, and *NOW* the hypocrite has a problem with it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You know what, I'd like 40k to quit referencing recent history and start making poo poo up wholesale for the other 27k of history in between. I don't care about some goofy perpetual killed MLK or that one of Ravenor's bunch found a plastic figurine of Yuri Gagarin. I want details on the iron men and various human societies that existed in the golden age.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Demiurge4 posted:

You know what, I'd like 40k to quit referencing recent history and start making poo poo up wholesale for the other 27k of history in between. I don't care about some goofy perpetual killed MLK or that one of Ravenor's bunch found a plastic figurine of Yuri Gagarin. I want details on the iron men and various human societies that existed in the golden age.

Thats so much harder to do well

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah this could be great if done well. Like in Hyperion there's a part where a military character is being trained in different simulations of old wars to learn how warfare developed, we see all the greatest hits of the last few thousand years but when it gets to our era it keeps going and shows a fictional history/our future, with warfare getting even deadlier and more terrifying.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Check out the short story Ancient History by Andy Chambers. It was in the old Dark Imperium anthology but might have been republished in another anthology or as an eshort since then I am not sure. It's about some press-ganged gun crew during a battle but it turns out one of them is this mysterious dude who somehow knows about the men of iron and men of stone and tells a story to the others about them. It's really good and sheds some more light on that whole thing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Demiurge4 posted:

It was a toy rocket with CCCP on the side. So that was just an amusing throw away joke.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah that was fine like whatever. But their point is right. Same with all the little quotes they sprinkle through books between chapters etc. especially in the Heresy. I've heard dozens of familiar sayings from philosophers in M2, but precious few from M18 or M6 or M28 etc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I like it when 40k references real history (my favourite is a HH character bragging about how the Imperium has recovered all three of "Shakespire's" plays) but I do wish they would branch out into the hypothetical futurepast between TYOOL 2023 and 30,000.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Those references don't really work in the same way, though, since the point is we actually recognize the ones from our history whereas a famous quote by someone in 14k is just a line spoken by whatever character is repeating it in the work we're reading. We don't actually get the reference, and it has to be pointed out to us rather than "oh, this is a Verdun reference" is obvious to us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for increasing the amount of poo poo that's mentioned from that huge span of time, it just can't be tossed off as a reference if we don't have any context telling us it's a reference. By way of comparison, Ravenor's "Spheres of Longing" works as a reference in the Gaunt's Ghosts series because we know what and who it's referencing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah that was fine like whatever. But their point is right. Same with all the little quotes they sprinkle through books between chapters etc. especially in the Heresy. I've heard dozens of familiar sayings from philosophers in M2, but precious few from M18 or M6 or M28 etc.

P much only Abnett and maybe Haley does this to any degree. The rest don't seem to have the eye for it even if they are otherwise stellar writers.

Sephyr posted:

I love the rogal Dorn short story

Which story is this?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 19, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I assume the books are translations and that the translator / editor makes names and references make sense to us . Like the guys name is not literally Ferrus Manus or Angron but something like that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

habeasdorkus posted:

Those references don't really work in the same way, though, since the point is we actually recognize the ones from our history whereas a famous quote by someone in 14k is just a line spoken by whatever character is repeating it in the work we're reading. We don't actually get the reference, and it has to be pointed out to us rather than "oh, this is a Verdun reference" is obvious to us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for increasing the amount of poo poo that's mentioned from that huge span of time, it just can't be tossed off as a reference if we don't have any context telling us it's a reference. By way of comparison, Ravenor's "Spheres of Longing" works as a reference in the Gaunt's Ghosts series because we know what and who it's referencing.
I think that may be a case of Abnett getting the chance to backfill the silly detail he invented.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that may be a case of Abnett getting the chance to backfill the silly detail he invented.

Yeah IIRC Ravenor didn't appear until years after that book was out

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

For my part the repeated references to primarily stuff from the last like two or three centuries of real history in a universe with three or four hundred more centuries of human history than ours takes me out of the stories. It's okay to not understand who the famous M17 Saturnian political theorist Dunkous Flavvington is despite characters in the story getting it because we don't live in their world. It'd be like getting mad that a character in a fantasy story is talking about their fake fantasy history in a way that makes sense to them but not to the reader. We can understand in context that Flavvington is a known figure because the characters in the story quote him with familiarity. We don't actually have to know Flavvington's Theory of Servitor Modes of Production.

Edit: also whoever thought to introduce MLK's assassin to the 40k world is an idiot lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/19/sunday-preview-commander-farsight-takes-his-shot-at-the-arks-of-omen/

Only one book going up for pre-order next week (at least in English), and it's the paperback/ebook/audiobook release of Shadowsun: The Patient Hunter byt Phil Kelly.

Another kinda boring pre-order weekend if anything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

they done yassified my tau

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

P much only Abnett and maybe Haley does this to any degree. The rest don't seem to have the eye for it even if they are otherwise stellar writers.

Which story is this?

"Rogal Dorn: the Emperor's Crusader."

For those that don't care to be spoiled:

"The Emperor has declared that the galaxy shall belong to humanity. The Kapikulu have rebelled before*, they may do so again. I am convinced more than ever that the Emperor did not choose His words without great care. "Remove this hidden foe". Our purpose was made clear. We must remember the role of the Legiones astartes. There is no gain in sparing a future enemy."

Keep in mind that the rebellion he is mentioning is the one against their xenos enslavers. Even at the end Malcador is praising Dorn for his "just following orders" attitude and that butchering a sector was totally worth it for these ever so precious precious warp gates that so never become a thing. So yeah, gently caress Dorn and big E, whatever their high-minded drivel. The Khan is the only halfway decent loyalist. Other than that, give me honest monsters that are fun to read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Looking at spoilers for it and its either implied or stated that they were genemodded by xenos during the old night, with further implications that it was eldar. Which is a big nono

Who wrote it? Could also be someone just not really understanding the setting because that doesnt really make sense as a justification given you know, the general presence of abhumans in the setting.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2023