Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Not sure if the Gundam Aerial kit is still hard to find, but if anyone is looking for it check your Targets. Just picked one up for about fifteen bucks. Didn't see any other WfM kits, just three Aerials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll check my Target on Sunday in case they have any more WfMs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my birthday is this weekend so:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Love the Ver.Ka line so much, regret not picking up a kit or two when I was in Taiwan.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Don't buy the buster kit for the V2, it turns the drat thing into a statue.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I have finished one of my 3 Hi Nu kits from the backlog.

Overall it went really well! Though looking at the photos I'm happy I only tried that one sticker. Looks awful here and I'm terrified what might happen when I try to tear the thing off.

vvv It's SMS Vortex, one of their color shifts. Came out phenomenal!

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 18, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goddamn that's a beautiful metallic green.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The SMS paints are magic, they lay down so smooth and doesn't take a lot of paint to get good coverage.

Their flat black is just amazing.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

They're so good. Just pour and paint. Their whites and yellows have amazing coverage with minimal coats. It makes it easy as hell to mix up custom colours as well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddamn that's a beautiful metallic green.

The green and bronze really stand out. I've poo poo on the Strike Freedom for those garish gold joints before, but that bronze is dark and subtle.

Snake, get those stickers outta there and go buy some waterslides. Your piece deserves it. G-Rework has a sheet for the RG version, but you can probably use most of those on the HG "classic" too. The pics I've been posting of my Unit 5 are all G-Rework waterslides.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
SMS paints are acrylic right? So they would be pretty easy to paint onto and remove from lacquer paint without damaging the lacquer underneath? I'm getting into detailing and I have a few Mr Color Aqueous pots but I've been told whatever removes that also removes lacquer so I'm looking for a new acrylic/enamel paint-line.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alright, tax return came in and I want to try my hand at something more in-depth. What are some good enamel paint brands and brushes to get? My plan is to use an HG ReZEL I have in my backlog as a practice piece, then make a fancy 30MM.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My plan to stop this from spinning out of control is to get my builds as clean as possible before I start messing about with painting stuff

Although I really wanna make a like USSR counterpart to that US flag EG RX-78-2 and put them right next to eachother....

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Make it really half built and most of it's part stolen for vodka.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the Zeon suits have this like clunky-but-dependable sorta Soviet look to them as well so something along those lines would be interesting as well

Weathering, rustiness, extra unsightly rivets everywhere over whatever paint job like a T34 tank would have

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BisbyWorl posted:

Alright, tax return came in and I want to try my hand at something more in-depth. What are some good enamel paint brands and brushes to get? My plan is to use an HG ReZEL I have in my backlog as a practice piece, then make a fancy 30MM.
If you have the cash Tamiya is a great brand of enamels (at least, if you're not in the UK) and brushes. May be a little pricey but if I have learned anything about this hobby is that spending a bit more money on good kit saves trouble when you're actually building and are legit more fun to use, and good brushes are a great one-time investment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

If you have the cash Tamiya is a great brand of enamels (at least, if you're not in the UK) and brushes. May be a little pricey but if I have learned anything about this hobby is that spending a bit more money on good kit saves trouble when you're actually building and are legit more fun to use, and good brushes are a great one-time investment.

Yep. The lesson I learned in the past is that trying to improvise with the tools you have is a miserable experience compared to paying the fun tax and buying the specialized tool you need.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Pierson posted:

SMS paints are acrylic right? So they would be pretty easy to paint onto and remove from lacquer paint without damaging the lacquer underneath? I'm getting into detailing and I have a few Mr Color Aqueous pots but I've been told whatever removes that also removes lacquer so I'm looking for a new acrylic/enamel paint-line.

SMS are acrylic lacquer.

That is acrylic resin in a lacquer medium.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Dangit. Are there any actual good enamel brands besides Tamiya (hard to get in the UK)? I investigated Humbrol but according to everyone they changed their formula a while back and are horrible now.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Pierson posted:

Dangit. Are there any actual good enamel brands besides Tamiya (hard to get in the UK)? I investigated Humbrol but according to everyone they changed their formula a while back and are horrible now.

I'm only really aware of Revell as the alternative to Humbrol at the commonly carried in stores level, but I can't comment on whether it's any good - just anecdote that I saw a lot of posts of people turning their noses up at both it and Humbrol. Scale modeling thread might have a better impression of the stuff.

There's also a brand called PlastiKote floating around, but I've not actually found anyone claiming to have really used it on models in anger - it's mostly spray stuff plus a couple of fast-dry brush-ons in a handful of colours, so if was any good you'd still likely have to learn how to decant and mix the iconic shades.

For enamel washes you can get a fair variety, at most of the bigger hobby stores. I'd rather be using Tamiya accent color instead of thinning down Ammo-by-Mig, but it was 5x the price when I last looked. Pure colours in enamel do seem to be pretty hard to find.

Best bet might be an ebay seller already carrying the stuff (sellers in italy and poland seem to be the most common for such listings), and asking if they can do you a custom order so you don't get dinged 3x the price of each individual pot in postage.

AliExpress might be cheaper on the shipping at the cost of waiting three months, depending on how it works out. Without an account I can't tell if picking several different colours from a single listing of 20 helps reduce the shipping costs like 20 of the same colour would.

Could also try talking to a dedicated importer - I think the chap behind JLGunplaUK offers a buying service and generally does far better on price than ebay and the likes, though it'll be up to whether he's interested or not. Paints might not be something he wants to risk due to fragility and chemicals.

Your earlier posts sounded like you'd started spraying lacquer succesfully, and were after good metallic finishes for candy coating. Emodels (and no doubt others) stock Alclad lacquer which a lot of youtubers swear by for chrome and candy finishes?

Is there's a particular property you want from enamel that lacquer/acrylic isn't getting you? There's also oil paints as an option, like Abteilung, though I've mostly seen them applied to bare plastic, left for 30 minutes, then rubbed off to create lining and weathering.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ah I broke the little wrench looking connector for the body of the core fighter in the V2 master grade. Good thing you have to build the core fighter twice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for the heads up on Target, I can't believe I finally found an Ariel and it was at Target. They also had the RG Wing Gundam.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Aerial just got back in stock at my local online store that actually sells it at RRP so I get to look forward to building that in a week or so.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Just cleaned the panel lining on an entire (unpainted) kit with a SINGLE tamiya swab. The gently caress is this magic?

It's still got the point, and if I leave it for a few seconds the ink gets drawn into the 'core' of the swab leaving the tips fairly clean to continue with. In contast, I'd have used a dozen or more generic swabs from the supermarket. Even with the tamiya premium this works out cheaper and I've not had to reapply any lines afterwards either.

(Admittedly by the end I was leaving some very light staining on the last couple of parts, but I don't really mind as it's mostly hidden areas - I might do a second pass on the middle of the flat surfaces with the cheap swabs if I'm feeling fancy)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finally covid negative and got rid of my coughing so time to get back to the important poo poo:

Eyes/camera are still clear because I'm not sure if I want to do clear orange, metallic orange or matte.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright. The gatling gun isn't done, but that's only because I'm recasting the belt in silicone to make it easier to pose. For now, this is done. Two things:

1. I misaligned two waterslide greebles on the legs. They're hidden under the skirt here, but holy gently caress are they obnoxiously visible in a standing pose.
2. The detailed MS hands option part doesn't quite fit the beam rifle. I might try to fix that later, but for now I'm just using the basic hands because I need to put this one down for a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're looking for GodHand nippers, they're back in stock in a bunch of places. Just got a notice from Hearn's Hobbies in Australia getting some in, and looks like HLJ has them too (Just checked out of curiosity).

Pierson posted:

Finally covid negative and got rid of my coughing so time to get back to the important poo poo:

Eyes/camera are still clear because I'm not sure if I want to do clear orange, metallic orange or matte.

Go for Metallic IMO, so it gives it a nice shine to match how Gundam eyes are usually shown up-close as clear lens covers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go for Metallic IMO, so it gives it a nice shine to match how Gundam eyes are usually shown up-close as clear lens covers.

I think metallic probably would work better for that. For the one I just posed, I used clear green brushed over metallic silver, but the shadow of being recessed in the head makes it difficult to see. In brighter light, before gloss coating and panel lines:

TLDR: Do a metallic silver undercoat, then your clear color over that for a glassy effect.

edit: On further consideration, I think I did a sloppy job with the panel lining and some of the ink tinted the lenses, which is why they don't show up that well right now. A good note for the future.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2023

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

I'm sure this gets asked every 5 pages or so, but what are the glass files that everyone recommends?

I was going to start that Aerial the other day, but I couldn't find my nippers, and then I figured I'd wait until I got some files too. I might get something for panel lining, as well. I'm not a newbie, but I haven;t built anything in years. And even back then, I typically glued everything together and sanded down all the seams before painting. I think I'll go basic on this one, to get back in the swing. Probably should pick up an action base for posing, too...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nano glass file in general is a sweet upgrade. I got generic ones from amazon at some point and they're nice.

Just make sure it says Nano in the description. Tons of other glass files available. If it doesn't mention nano assume its not the correct type.

You can get packs of 2-4 files for roughly 10 euros/bucks.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I didn't know they made a garage kit of Tetsuya Naito (NJPW).

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/10104/PLAMAX+MF+48+minimum+factory+Tetsuya+Naito.html

Burns
May 10, 2008

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
He looks like a very polite young man.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I like the 'running lights' style of making the little shoulder squares different colors.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The HG Z'GOK kit is v cheap and also pretty neat- was wondering how the weird tubular legs/arms would go together and yep it's just a bunch of ball and socket joints

Trying to stick to cheaper HG kits until I feel satisfied with my nub removal/cleanup process and then I really wanna get an RG Nu and source some kinda aftermarket fin funnel effect set/stand

Burns
May 10, 2008

I used Gundam battle operation for inspiration. Not done yet though. Those photos were mostly to test out the lighbox i made yesterday

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Getting conflicting info on keeping my nippers (both single-blade and regular) maintained. Is Singer Sewing machine oil the stuff to use?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luchacabra posted:

I'm sure this gets asked every 5 pages or so, but what are the glass files that everyone recommends?

I was going to start that Aerial the other day, but I couldn't find my nippers, and then I figured I'd wait until I got some files too. I might get something for panel lining, as well. I'm not a newbie, but I haven;t built anything in years. And even back then, I typically glued everything together and sanded down all the seams before painting. I think I'll go basic on this one, to get back in the swing. Probably should pick up an action base for posing, too...

The very premium one is the Raser. I hated using the cheap glass files from amazon because the sides are also sharp and you can wind up nicking areas you didn't intend to. The Raser is smoothed off at the edges so it doesn't have that problem, but you are paying a lot for it.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Chromatics posted:

The very premium one is the Raser. I hated using the cheap glass files from amazon because the sides are also sharp and you can wind up nicking areas you didn't intend to. The Raser is smoothed off at the edges so it doesn't have that problem, but you are paying a lot for it.

That's really cool. I've been using the cheapies and it goes pretty well. But it definitely wants to cut sawteeth when used at an angle to try and clean a curve up without much space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you have the money and absolutely want the best kit no quests asked I would just get a pair of Godhands and a Raser. Since nipping/cleaning is 75% of gunpla it saves so much time and they are just really fun quality tools to use.

Progress report: Top half done. I tried to paint the eyes at first but either my brushes weren't good enough or I didn't have the co-ordination so in the end I masked each eye individually and airbrushed. Please ignore the dust, I promise I cleaned him to gloss him.