Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Let's see how long that lasts. Olkiluoto-3 has been down for like 5 of the 9 months since it began trial production.

Coming back on the 15th! For sure this time! Not like all the other times...

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Serious question with no snark: do those numbers change with a standardized vs bespoke design? If you’re able to just throw down a proven design for the 5th/50th/500th reactor, do you come out better because you’re not constantly reworking it?

The numbers absolutely change with better plant designs. The bulk of CO2 emissions in nuclear plant construction are in production of the materials required for the plant. The massive amounts of concrete and rebar for the containment structure, for example. If you build reactors that don’t need those things, those emissions go away. This is another example of painting “nuclear power” with the brush we made for 70-year-old reactor designs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

There are strikes all over the country to protest retirement age increase, including at EDF.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/frances-nuclear-output-hit-by-strike-edf-2023-03-04/

lmao well that's just too :france:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Phanatic posted:

If you build reactors that don’t need those things, those emissions go away. This is another example of painting “nuclear power” with the brush we made for 70-year-old reactor designs.

Question, new gen plants coming under construction now don't use these amounts of concrete and rebar?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dante80 posted:

Question, new gen plants coming under construction now don't use these amounts of concrete and rebar?

"New" gen plants coming under construction now are Generation III designs that date to the 1980s, so they're only "new" in comparison to Gen II designs and are basically enhanced-safety versions of Gen II or Gen I designs. APR1000 is basically a System 80, and system 80s were going online in the mid-80s.

If you want to ditch the enormously huge and thick containment dome, you're looking at Gen IV designs like gas-cooled reactors, molten salt reactors, fast reactors, or (the exception to my first sentence there above) small modular reactors.

(Or, well, you could just use BWRs, which don't have them either.)

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 9, 2023

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ah thanks!

Is any of those gen IV designs ready for commercial time right now?

edit: Is something like this a good starter for them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 9, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The BBC are reporting this as part of today's UK budget announcement:

quote:

Nuclear energy to be classed as environmentally sustainable for investment purposes, with promise of more public funding

Source

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
BEHOLD

IT'S HAPPENING :toot::science:

(OL-3 finally went to final test phase after some pump valves were changed, it's one month away from being complete *if nothing else goes wonky*)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This has happened before and it will happen again.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phanatic posted:

It's not so much that they care about the environment, it's just that they hate people and want them to die:

https://www.usnews.com/news/news/articles/2023-02-27/norway-protests-target-wind-farm-on-land-used-by-herders

"Dozens" lmao perfect opening word

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Interesting article on using boreholes to permanently store nuclear waste. Since it's using off the shelf oil&gas technology, it's cheaper and we know it works.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/could-deep-boreholes-solve-our-nuclear-waste-problem/

As always the devil is in the details but it looks like they're doing a test to find out.

Looks like they're staring a test with no actual waste:

quote:

But it will do all that without any actual nuclear waste: “This site, to be clear, will never be used for radioactive waste disposal,” said Liz Muller, CEO of Deep Isolation and chair of the Deep Borehole Demonstration Center’s board.

“What this is intended to do is to really bring people together to understand what are the principal issues that need to be resolved before we go forward,” said Ted Garrish, the launch executive director of the center. “There's nothing really new here in terms of the actual technologies; it's just marrying them together and doing it in a nuclear environment.”

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/03/company-launches-nuclear-waste-disposal-testing-collaboration

Nenonen posted:

BEHOLD

IT'S HAPPENING :toot::science:

(OL-3 finally went to final test phase after some pump valves were changed, it's one month away from being complete *if nothing else goes wonky*)
Niceee

Should be enough to like halve the grid carbon intensity?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

400,000 gallons of radioactive water leaked from a nuclear plant in Minnesota

Minnesota regulators said Thursday they’re monitoring the cleanup of a leak of 400,000 gallons of radioactive water from Xcel Energy’s Monticello nuclear power plant, and the company said there’s no danger to the public.

“Xcel Energy took swift action to contain the leak to the plant site, which poses no health and safety risk to the local community or the environment,” the Minneapolis-based utility said in a statement.

While Xcel reported the leak of water containing tritium to state and federal authorities in late November, the spill had not been made public before Thursday. State officials said they waited to get more information before going public with it.

(...)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Phanatic posted:

The numbers absolutely change with better plant designs. The bulk of CO2 emissions in nuclear plant construction are in production of the materials required for the plant. The massive amounts of concrete and rebar for the containment structure, for example. If you build reactors that don’t need those things, those emissions go away. This is another example of painting “nuclear power” with the brush we made for 70-year-old reactor designs.

Does anyone actually have studies that have actually calculated the quantity of CO2 released as a result of the production of materials required to build a nuclear power plant?

Because the linked articles so far seem to just make assumptions/generalities about costs, but don't provide any numbers. And there are a lot of ways to significantly offset the cost of concrete (such as on-site batching plants that essentially halves the amount of delivery truck usage). Honestly I'm not even sure rebar usage would constitute a significant impact, given it typically makes up about 1% or less of the total volume of concrete installed for structures such as these.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

SourKraut posted:

Does anyone actually have studies that have actually calculated the quantity of CO2 released as a result of the production of materials required to build a nuclear power plant?

Because the linked articles so far seem to just make assumptions/generalities about costs, but don't provide any numbers. And there are a lot of ways to significantly offset the cost of concrete (such as on-site batching plants that essentially halves the amount of delivery truck usage). Honestly I'm not even sure rebar usage would constitute a significant impact, given it typically makes up about 1% or less of the total volume of concrete installed for structures such as these.
It's also worth noting that the most common pressurized water reactors need much larger containment buildings than most other designs, so in the event of an accident, the high-pressure steam has a bigger area to expand. That obviously increases concrete use by a lot.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cat botherer posted:

It's also worth noting that the most common pressurized water reactors need much larger containment buildings than most other designs, so in the event of an accident, the high-pressure steam has a bigger area to expand. That obviously increases concrete use by a lot.

Yeah, I'm still just skeptical that concrete and rebar have significant economic impacts to the project relative to other project items.

When it comes to carbon footprint, cement does have a significant impact globally, no doubt, but someone would have to do a lifecycle analysis to estimate the full overall impact relative to the plant's beneficial impact, plus what the full lifecycle analysis of the alternatives are. That's why I'm skeptical, but definitely open to learning more since it'd be interesting to see.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Modern nuclear reactors need less than 40 metric tons of steel and 190 cubic meters of concrete per megawatt of average capacity"
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2007/07/constructing-lot-of-nuclear-power.html

For comparison, coal power uses 160 cubic meters of concrete per megawatt of average capacity
https://www.freeingenergy.com/math/coal-plant-weight-steel-concrete-pound-decomission-mwh-gwh-m149/

They're really not that different. Meanwhile, current-gen wind turbines need the same volume of concrete as coal power: 160 cubic meters per megawatt (402000 kg/MW divided by 2500 kg/m^3). That's installed capacity, of course, not actual generation
https://www.freeingenergy.com/math/wind-turbine-weight-pound-mwh-gwh-m148/

In terms of emissions, would still rather have nuclear power than coal power, and would usually rather have nuclear power than wind power (in most regions)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 18, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

skeptical enough to post, not skeptical enough to google, the hallmark abitrage of the just asking questions guy

anyway

src

i'm gonna go with "20"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Those are different nuclear designs right? How does that compare with coal or natural gas?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

MightyBigMinus posted:

skeptical enough to post, not skeptical enough to google, the hallmark abitrage of the just asking questions guy
:ironicat:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Those are different nuclear designs right? How does that compare with coal or natural gas?
IPCC 2014:

UNECE 2020:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-cycle_greenhouse_gas_emissions_of_energy_sources)

No matter how you cut it, the emissions of nuclear are far lower than fossil fuels or even solar. In the first chart, wind is slightly less than nuclear, but not significantly. In the second, it has less. I'm guessing the variance of lifecycle emissions between nuclear plants or between wind installations overwhelms any of the small signal of their true average difference.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol including CCS. Might as well include offsets from magic fairies.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cat botherer posted:

No matter how you cut it, the emissions of nuclear are far lower than fossil fuels or even solar. In the first chart, wind is slightly less than nuclear, but not significantly. In the second, it has less. I'm guessing the variance of lifecycle emissions between nuclear plants or between wind installations overwhelms any of the small signal of their true average difference.

Based on this 2021 life cycle analysis, nuclear outperforms wind:
https://unece.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/LCA-2.pdf

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
CCS?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Based on this 2021 life cycle analysis, nuclear outperforms wind:
https://unece.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/LCA-2.pdf

All those comparisons between the low emissions group are within the margin of error.
You can easily add or remove some subtle thing and change the ordering.
The only real sensible conclusion is that fossil fuels suck under all circumstances.

For example that article suggests that the primary driver for Wind Co2 impact is the construction of the tower itself. Which is an item that could be made reusable once rates of decommission catch up to rates of construction.

Also, just look at this:

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

I believe that's "carbon capture and storage"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CCS is conventionally when you burn fossil fuels then attempt to tell the public that you're totally capturing & sequestering more than a small fraction of the emotions.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I don't think wind towers are reusable are they? Isn't the point of their lifecycle that they need replacement due to decades of strain (along with turbine replacement)

Mod note (Inferior Third Season): I'm really sorry, but I messed up with my new mod buttons, and edited your post, when I meant to be quoting it. A part of what you had seems to be lost now. :(

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 19, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pander posted:

I don't think wind towers are reusable are they? Isn't the point of their lifecycle that they need replacement due to decades of strain (along with turbine replacement)

It makes more sense then CCS, which was included in the comparisons.
More seriously, I don't think we actually know for sure, because there haven't been that many windmills being replaced. In part because technology is still improving so fast that new ones are differently designed, and reuse is impossible for that reason. Which also means that we might eventually build reusable or more carbon emission efficient ones.
Though nobody really cares because those emissions are negligible when compared to the ones made by fossil fuels, or even badly designed solar installations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

My favorite recurring CCS PR story is when a startup has a super great atmospheric co2 capture process*, and its economically feasible**, too! It just needs to scale up!***

* Gross capture, in like single-ton quantities (like a single car’s yearly output.)

** Because they sell it to petroleum companies to extract more crude oil from permeable rock formations.

*** would require the entire worlds power generation

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
An issue with some wind is the difference in lifetime impact of aluminum vs composite blades. Whenever composite blades are installed to generate more power, the company still gets all the same green credits, despite the huge difference in recyclability and long term environmental impact.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Pander posted:

They're not reusable (with the exception of prototype towers, where they switch out the rotor assemblies every few years). But the current crop of wind turbines that are aging out were built in the early 00's. At that time, certified turbine lifetimes were generally 20 years and the foundations and towers were engineered quite conservatively. This makes sense when considering the heavy, expensive rotor equipment that they're holding. And they've done their job well: over the past few decades, the number of tower failures is quite small compared to the number of catastrophic rotor failures (and most tower failures are not from normal fatigue damage, but due to a controller failure that caused the rotor to overspeed or allowed an eigenmode to excite that should have been avoided).

Lifetime extension has been the new hotness for existing farms recently, as it has been shown that the current batch of turbines has several good years in them still.

New turbines are getting certified with 25 to 35 years lifetime right off the bat. Manufacturers are also getting more aggressive with cost-out measures in the towers and foundations to reduce material costs, so we'll have to wait 15 or 20 years to see if tower buckling becomes more common as these less-overengineered turbines start accumulating significant fatigue damage.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yea its amazing to think about the math that as we get to the 20 and 30 year marks on real scale/size solar and wind we're going to start to realize that these things have full ~quarter longer lifetimes than originally financed at, and further engineering can push future farms out to a third easy. like the core tech barely has to evolve from here for things to still get substantially cheaper as the industry/finance/insurance math simply has enough decades in the rear view mirror to dial in the numbers for the next few decades. the "we don't know yet, lets hedge our bets and see how the first generation goes" cushion going away will be huge all on its own.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Complete Crock of poo poo

The only scalable way to capture and store carbon from the atmosphere is to not release it in the first place.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Complete Crock of poo poo

The only scalable way to capture and store carbon from the atmosphere is to not release it in the first place.
CCS is the result of deciding you're going to still burn coal and work backwards from there. Of course, no one in the fossil fuel industry thinks CCS would work, but that's not the point.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone think CCS and flue gas capture is a reasonable approach for the concrete or steelmaking (or some other process that can't be electrified) industries?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Does anyone think CCS and flue gas capture is a reasonable approach for the concrete or steelmaking (or some other process that can't be electrified) industries?
Maybe? The better approach is to find alternative approaches. Thyssenkrupp Krupp for example is working on producing steel with hydrogen instead of coke.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

There isn't a way to make cement without also generating lot of CO2, so they need either to figure out how to capture it or find a different basis for construction.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Deteriorata posted:

There isn't a way to make cement without also generating lot of CO2, so they need either to figure out how to capture it or find a different basis for construction.
Not necessarily. Most of the CO2 from standard concrete comes from the production of portland cement:

Portland cement is made from mostly limestone. This needs to be heated in a kiln to around 1450C to undergo calcination, making "clinkers." This obviously takes a lot of energy, which usually means big CO2 emissions - but not if the energy comes from nuclear or renewables. Separately, the calcination process splits off CO2, releasing additional CO2, regardless of the energy source for the heat. However, this latter emission is ameriolated during curing: the curing process absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere, ultimately mostly negating the releases of the calcination process, over a period of years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Not necessarily. Most of the CO2 from standard concrete comes from the production of portland cement:

Portland cement is made from mostly limestone. This needs to be heated in a kiln to around 1450C to undergo calcination, making "clinkers." This obviously takes a lot of energy, which usually means big CO2 emissions - but not if the energy comes from nuclear or renewables. Separately, the calcination process splits off CO2, releasing additional CO2, regardless of the energy source for the heat. However, this latter emission is ameriolated during curing: the curing process absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere, ultimately mostly negating the releases of the calcination process, over a period of years.

Concrete sets through hydration, not absorption of CO2. It absorbs some CO2 over time, but not a lot. It doesn't come close to offsetting the CO2 released when calcining the limestone.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

DTurtle posted:

Maybe? The better approach is to find alternative approaches. Thyssenkrupp Krupp for example is working on producing steel with hydrogen instead of coke.

How does this work? There's no carbon in hydrogen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Most of the CO2 emissions from steelmaking are due to reducing the iron oxide to iron (smelting). Carbon can grab the oxygen off the iron, and hydrogen can also do that. Making steel usually starts with iron at like 4-5% carbon, and then you remove most of it to get mild steel.

Alternatively, you could smelt it the way you smelt aluminum - by electricity. But that's actually tougher to do for iron for several reasons, like needing higher temperatures, and the chemistry being more complicated. And you could reduce the iron with aluminum or zinc, or some similar chemical process, but then you're wasting huge amounts of energy.