Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

"take the metro" is a foreign language they can never comprehend.

I know people who, as a point of pride, never use public transportation.

Speaking of anecdotes: I've read news stories about geezers who owned inner city parking spots somehow and rented then out for what amounts to a decent wage per spot. The perfect synthesis of landlordism and car brain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/bolanlikes2rock/status/1497323413303705610?t=gHbjGNZBMovXOFGaa2MueQ&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, once you live outside of North America, in a city with actual mass transit, it is very hard to go back to the lovely way it is down back in the old country.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I lived for five years in Europe and am now back in the car dependent Midwest. :(

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

WaryWarren posted:

Yeah, I lived for five years in Europe and am now back in the car dependent Midwest. :(

In all honesty, I find it far more liberating to not have a car and just be able to get on a metro or tram and walk around and not have to worry about parking/the car/having to drive home. Also, in most of the world, having grocery stores in walking distance isn't a big deal, and if you really want you can just delivery it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Being outside mass transit feels claustrophobic to me. You miss your bus and you're stuck, or if you have a car, you absolutely need it to work or you're stuck. Just no backup at all. While in the city, I can ride my bike, take the next bus, or a train or just walk. So much more freedom.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

BonHair posted:

Being outside mass transit feels claustrophobic to me. You miss your bus and you're stuck, or if you have a car, you absolutely need it to work or you're stuck. Just no backup at all. While in the city, I can ride my bike, take the next bus, or a train or just walk. So much more freedom.

that’s why you need more than one car bing bong so simple

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WaryWarren posted:

Jesus, shoulda burned your passport and just worked illegally.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

:smithicide:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i saw a pbs segment about a catholic food bank in az that serves a thousand families a day in their massive drive through and they are filming segments with the people coming through and they're all talking about food costs being too high from the window of a massive financed truck they've just idled in for several hours to get served. like the drone footage of the lot is 100% 3 row beasts.
the food bank should probably do deliveries but what do i know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

he'd be needing to burn that passport to avoid freezing to death in icy, gas-poor Europe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i saw a pbs segment about a catholic food bank in az that serves a thousand families a day in their massive drive through and they are filming segments with the people coming through and they're all talking about food costs being too high from the window of a massive financed truck they've just idled in for several hours to get served. like the drone footage of the lot is 100% 3 row beasts.
the food bank should probably do deliveries but what do i know

Americans for Prosperity did a few stunts where they set gas prices back to what they were at the end of 2020 at some stations around here

https://www.wtae.com/article/a-western-pennsylvania-gas-station-will-offer-gas-at-dollar238-a-gallon/40363649

People started lining up the night before and idled their trucks all night waiting in line to get some slightly cheaper gas. I'm sure that worked out for them financially.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they only saved people 4000$ before resuming normal prices lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it was nice being in Singapore for a few days and getting to go everywhere just by walking and riding a train

they even made the turnstiles into NFC card readers so you just sweep your credit card through and there's never a need to buy a ticket

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was nice being in Singapore for a few days and getting to go everywhere just by walking and riding a train

they even made the turnstiles into NFC card readers so you just sweep your credit card through and there's never a need to buy a ticket

ny just got that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Real hurthling! posted:

ny just got that

greatust city in tha world babey

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao cyberpunk 2088 is so insanely carbrained that it is beyond the pale

your npc: "come on, get in the car we gotta go meet the fixer"
>quest doesn't proceed until you summon your car and get into it
>drive 1 block, park on the sidewalk "ok we're here"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

its a viedo game op

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

its a dystopia op

Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

its a dystopia op

one of the sidequests involves chasing down and wrangling rogue cars that are trying to escape from enslavement

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rode bike to work today. pretty nice except for this intersection where you have to merge with traffic to go straight but it's slightly up hill and you're out of shape. I think there is a bike lane planned for here at some point

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AutlMnahozY

Could this solve the lack of car parking?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

driving in video games is fun in ways that driving in real life is not

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

It doesn't work in real life, bike lanes get narrower and narrower but people still manage to fit their cars in them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
so the other day coming back home at night and before stopping at a subway a closed intersection and a blue tarp over a body.
I loving hate this. loving pigs if they spent half the time they do beating up homeless as they did enforcing traffic laws it wouldn’t be literal lawless

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There was some awful crash on Brooklyn where 2 people died. The video is on Twitter, I know people don’t like that stuff, even if it’s not graphic.

But apparently, a buuuunch of tickets, etc. issued for the vehicle. Like WHAT THE gently caress! People loooove saying driving is a privilege but it’s never treated like it!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
jesus died so we could drive

vroom vroom *peels out of driveway, crashes into telephone pole*

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

AiT driving to the store

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Boywhiz88 posted:

There was some awful crash on Brooklyn where 2 people died. The video is on Twitter, I know people don’t like that stuff, even if it’s not graphic.

But apparently, a buuuunch of tickets, etc. issued for the vehicle. Like WHAT THE gently caress! People loooove saying driving is a privilege but it’s never treated like it!

lol like a judge would take away someone's car if they have a long history of reckless driving. I've seen NHTSA stats that show things like crashes involving alcohol, speeding, etc, but I don't think anyone records if a driver had dozens of violations before a crash.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

driver who killed three people in dc a week or two back had more than $10k in speeding tickets over the last year

there's just no mechanism to automatically kick in and say 'huh, looks like this car and anyone who drives it and any other cars they own need to be taken off the road right now,' no agency has that responsibility and so he just gets to keep zooming around town until he hits another car and kills everyone in it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

driver who killed three people in dc a week or two back had more than $10k in speeding tickets over the last year

there's just no mechanism to automatically kick in and say 'huh, looks like this car and anyone who drives it and any other cars they own need to be taken off the road right now,' no agency has that responsibility and so he just gets to keep zooming around town until he hits another car and kills everyone in it

Idk how it is in DC but every state I’ve ever lived in has points for moving violations and if you rack up too many in a certain period (in Oregon I think they drop off after three years) they suspend your license

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idk how it is in DC but every state I’ve ever lived in has points for moving violations and if you rack up too many in a certain period (in Oregon I think they drop off after three years) they suspend your license

But you keep your car, so you can keep driving.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Every time someone actually runs over enough people for the cops to care but not enough to go to prison over it, their probation includes some kind of condition like "no driving between 10 pm and 6 am unless it's for work or to go to the store or an emergency or if you really want to".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

Every time someone actually runs over enough people for the cops to care but not enough to go to prison over it, their probation includes some kind of condition like "no driving between 10 pm and 6 am unless it's for work or to go to the store or an emergency or if you really want to".

That's a lockdown

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in Kyoto, and they were doing some construction work on the sidewalk, so they closed off a plane is traffic so people could walk around:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/o_rcharddweller/status/1638370683607564288?t=QCdPDrJZjqEXd7IWBKrCwg&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I see those greedy pedestrians taking up that god given asphalt and it just fills me with rage

Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

But you keep your car, so you can keep driving.

lol yeah

Apr 7, 2003

The state can tow your car away and impound it if you park in the wrong place so clearly they have the power to take your car away. They just won't do it if you've proven yourself to be a menace to society. They'll only do it if you rack up $50 in unpaid tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/polkpunished/status/1638182643517865984