Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

xbilkis posted:

I kind of wonder what Claypool's value would be if we tried to trade him again right now. One would assume nobody would give up anything worthwhile for him after a dud season with one year left under contract, but if the asking price for Jerry Jeudy is a first rounder, maybe the WR market is still wonky and you could blame his down year on general Bears stink to recoup a third or something

It's probably smarter to just keep him and see if Fields connects with him during training camp at this point, but it is a bummer that the trade basically broke as badly as it possibly could have to this point

Claypool put up two 800+ yard seasons in a bad offense with a fully washed Ben Roethlisberger throwing to him. I'd at least give him a full offseason before looking to cut bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously, there were a number of teams(including the packers) offering a Second round pick for claypool.

They just picked the Bears because the Bears were the worse team.

People really really just have no patience, and let first impressions guide their opinion forever.

Just like it's unfair to blame put too much stock in how Fields played with that offense, the Wide Recievers got hosed because the offense was completely unable to block a pass set and everything had to be rollout and half the field poo poo. Or Fields had to bail and run rather than have time for WR routes to open up.

Like Neither Claypool or Mooney are WR1's but they very much can be 2's hopefully Moore is the piece that puts both of them in their proper roles.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 19, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's difficult to overstate how much better your downcard WRs become when you acquire a true blue WR1. They may have overpaid but I think Claypool will wind up being just fine for the Bears. They're putting together an intriguing little WR room now after having a very very bad one last year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The bears offered a second that was a first and were left with a second that's basically a third. Claypool didn't pan out next year, is he does this year it will probably just be a not good trade.
Right now it's a bad trade but we've litigated this forever when's the draft?
Why news on Rodgers?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Packers were competing for a title when they made that offer. The Bears are years away from contending.

It was a dumb trade by a GM who panicked when his young QB showed promise and realized he had hosed him over by giving him nothing to work with. I don't know why we have to pretend this is a good move. The Cowboys just got Brandin Cooks for a 5th and 6th round pick. No team in the league would give a pick within 50 of what the Bears offered for Claypool at this point.

Shrimpy posted:

I'd at least give him a full offseason before looking to cut bait.

Lets say he has a good year with a full offseason. He then becomes a free agent. So the Bears gave up the 32nd pick in the draft to watch Chase Claypool make himself some money in free agency market during a rebuild year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Right now it's a bad trade but we've litigated this forever when's the draft?
Why news on Rodgers?

The draft is at the end of April, six weeks from now. Rodgers news as of yesterday is "closer to a deal than has been reported on". Don't bother F5ing, just wait for it to break.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

The Packers were competing for a title when they made that offer. The Bears are years away from contending.

It was a dumb trade by a GM who panicked when his young QB showed promise and realized he had hosed him over by giving him nothing to work with. I don't know why we have to pretend this is a good move. The Cowboys just got Brandin Cooks for a 5th and 6th round pick. No team in the league would give a pick within 50 of what the Bears offered for Claypool at this point.

Lets say he has a good year with a full offseason. He then becomes a free agent. So the Bears gave up the 32nd pick in the draft to watch Chase Claypool make himself some money in free agency market during a rebuild year.

If he's good enough to get a payday then you pay him, having good players is good?

It's really not that complicated.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
As per usual, Tom puts things in perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4qbM5dQbzs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:lol: Pretty good, he summarized the past 2 weeks perfectly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also generally sometimes you just make a mistake, in an evaluation. Even the best GM's do it.

The Eagles took Jalen Reagor with a first. It's fine, Draft picks are important, but also it's not the end of the world if you blow one on a missed evaluation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

Also generally sometimes you just make a mistake, in an evaluation. Even the best GM's do it.

The Eagles took Jalen Reagor with a first. It's fine, Draft picks are important, but also it's not the end of the world if you blow one on a missed evaluation.

The important thing with the Eagles is that they don't throw good money after bad money. If something doesn't work out, they quickly move on and get what they can. Always being maneuverable, not getting stuck in sunk costs, that's sometimes much more important than making good evaluations, because nobody's gonna be perfect all the time.

All the Bears can do is try to maximize Claypool's value, which acquiring DJ Moore should hopefully help them do. Maybe you can flip him for something, then. Or maybe he just finds a niche in the Bears org and stays there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

If he's good enough to get a payday then you pay him, having good players is good?

It's really not that complicated.

Just pay him next offseason and keep the 32nd pick. That's not complicated either.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Just pay him next offseason and keep the 32nd pick. That's not complicated either.

If he's good on another team, then they will pay him and he will never see free agency.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/1637470771562815489

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

It was more important to get fields more weapons for evaluation. Not knowing if fields is legit after 4 years would have been worse than trading such a high pick

And I don't think they realized how bad the bears were going to be , it took a franchise worst losing streak to get there

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

How hard is it to say that it is too soon to tell? Claypool could have a top twenty season next year and we will say it was a good trade. He could totally suck and we will say it was a bad deal. It is too soon to really tell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

How hard is it to say that it is too soon to tell? Claypool could have a top twenty season next year and we will say it was a good trade. He could totally suck and we will say it was a bad deal. It is too soon to really tell.

Ah, but, you see, it's Niwrad, for whom every decision made by a Chicago sports team's front office is automatically bad until proven otherwise. Remember, he was screaming that last year's draft was proof that the Bears had already given up on Fields.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If you take that stance you're going to be proven right way more often than you're wrong though.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

For the record I wasn't like calling out that trade, I think it's probably still too soon to tell. just pointing out the bears invested 2 first round picks in WRs to help Justin this year andi would guess we are going to see a carpet bombing of offensive line during the draft for similar reasons.

Which makes sense and is absolutely what they should do. Next year is when you should judge the results of this talent infusion

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adaz posted:

For the record I wasn't like calling out that trade, I think it's probably still too soon to tell. just pointing out the bears invested 2 first round picks in WRs to help Justin this year andi would guess we are going to see a carpet bombing of offensive line during the draft for similar reasons.

I don't think it's accurate to say that the Bears invested two first-round picks. They only traded down from 1 to 9 to get Moore, they didn't sacrifice their first-rounder there.

The #32 for Claypool, that's accurate, but I think he's going to rebound now that he's going to have time learning the offense, getting chemistry with Fields and getting to gel with the rest of the team.

There's a reason a bunch of other teams were in on him at the deadline. He's not deadweight.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nah, they literally swapped a 2024 first for DJM. I'd say they invested a future first for him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Nah, they literally swapped a 2024 first for DJM. I'd say they invested a future first for him.

The Bears got the Panthers' first-round 2024 pick in the Moore trade, along with #9 and #61 this year and whatever the Panthers' second-round pick in 2025 is.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

The Bears got the Panthers' first-round 2024 pick in the Moore trade, along with #9 and #61 this year and whatever the Panthers' second-round pick in 2025 is.

Yeah, but they wanted to give a 2025 first instead or DJM.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Yeah, but they wanted to give a 2025 first instead or DJM.

This is some really strange logic to argue that the Bears invested a first-round pick in DJ Moore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

If you take that stance you're going to be proven right way more often than you're wrong though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1637595508980973570?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Timby posted:

This is some really strange logic to argue that the Bears invested a first-round pick in DJ Moore.

Agreed.
On top of the 2023 and 2024 picks, they got dj moore and a 2nd round 2025 instead of just a 2025 1st round pick.

If they had only gotten dj moore and nothing in 2025, then i could see the logic in "they invested a 1st." Poles got more value out of this pick than i could have imagined outside of the fantasy of trading with houston and then the colts somehow.

What would DJM be worth if someone were trading him right now or on draft day? A 2nd rounder just because of the money/contract?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Timby posted:

Probably, but I'm gonna ride with it. Really, a 2025 first isn't worth nearly as much as DJM.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sure depends on the number, but he's still an NFL player.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dexo posted:

Sure depends on the number, but he's still an NFL player.

I feel like whenever we have to wait for the number it means it's team friendly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gotta point out that despite the bears pick being #32 it's technically in the second round and doesn't give the bonus extra year that first round picks have. That does matter

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1637626481034625024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lions please stop fixing your secondary in free agency!!! You were supposed to pick a corner in the draft and let a d-lineman fall to the Bears at 9 :mad:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Whoooooooooaaaaa that's a nice one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*in heavy Suzyn Waldman voice*

G-…GOODNESS GRACIOUS

OF ALL THE DRAMATIC THINGS I’VE EVAH SEEEEEEN

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It would be funny, on-brand, and absolutely heartbreaking if GMBH and MCDC build a respectable defense in Detroit only for Goff to turn back into 2019-21 Jared Goff

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

tinstaach posted:

It would be funny, on-brand, and absolutely heartbreaking if GMBH and MCDC build a respectable defense in Detroit only for Goff to turn back into 2019-21 Jared Goff

Don’t you put that evil on me, tinstaach!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OL at 6. DT with 18.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Lions….not run by absolute morons anymore?

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1637634259744587777?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg