Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Decon posted:

Homestuck seems to have been a great bit of media for everything adjacent to but not Homestuck.

Game by the author? Great.

Novels by a fanfic writer? Great

Homestuck itself? Idk lol

Was Hivebound actually good, or are you thinking of Undertale? Because Undertale was by the music guy who lived in the author's basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Was Hivebound actually good, or are you thinking of Undertale? Because Undertale was by the music guy who lived in the author's basement.

Undertale

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've decided that the ninth house is obvious built into the lunar pole, and as evidence 1) it takes them only an hour to get to earth and 2) what better locked tomb for earth.

Pluto and Ceres never made much sense, beyond the connection between Pluto and hades and death.

Go forth and spread this canon.

Otherwise:
Mercury - 6th
Venus - 7th
Earth - 1st
Luna - 9th
Mars - 2nd
Ganymede - 3rd
Titan - 4th
Europa - 5th
Triton - 8th

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M_Gargantua posted:

I've decided that the ninth house is obvious built into the lunar pole, and as evidence 1) it takes them only an hour to get to earth and 2) what better locked tomb for earth.

Pluto and Ceres never made much sense, beyond the connection between Pluto and hades and death.

Go forth and spread this canon.

Otherwise:
Mercury - 6th
Venus - 7th
Earth - 1st
Luna - 9th
Mars - 2nd
Ganymede - 3rd
Titan - 4th
Europa - 5th
Triton - 8th

Hrm.........

Hum. Hm.

Isn't Dominicus mentioned as a tiny, tiny dot from the ninth house? Wouldn't it be rather bigger and sunnier from Luna?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Decon posted:

Homestuck seems to have been a great bit of media for everything adjacent to but not Homestuck.

Game by the author? Great.

Novels by a fanfic writer? Great

Homestuck itself? Idk lol

I never know anything about it. I think I heard the name once or twice and for some reason thought it was related to "Undertale?" Falconer111 is currently doing an F&F on "The
User's Guide to the Apocalypse" which is an RPG based an alternate version of Homestuck and probably a couple of meta-iterations removed from even that. The whole looks bonkers in an "I'd love to read the rules/story, but no way on Jod's earth would I want to try to play/run this thing."

silvergoose posted:

Hrm.........

Hum. Hm.

Isn't Dominicus mentioned as a tiny, tiny dot from the ninth house? Wouldn't it be rather bigger and sunnier from Luna?

Also, wouldn't Earth be clearly visible from Luna. Unless the Ninth lives on the Dark Side of Luna. Which is easily possible.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 17, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

I never know anything about it. I think I heard the name once or twice and for some reason thought it was related to "Undertale?" Falconer111 is currently doing an F&F on "The
User's Guide to the Apocalypse" which is an RPG based an alternate version of Homestuck and probably a couple of meta-iterations removed from even that. The whole looks bonkers in an "I'd love to read the rules/story, but no way on Jod's earth would I want to try to play/run this thing."

Also, wouldn't Earth be clearly visible from Luna. Unless the Ninth lives on the Dark Side of Luna. Which is easily possible.

the first house is an hour away because TLT spaceships move really fast and I don't think tasmyn cares about numbers too much

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

the first house is an hour away because TLT spaceships move really fast and I don't think tasmyn cares about numbers too much

they don't use TLT drives, they use hyperpotamus drives *nods firmly*

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
rather than fuel, distance you can travel is determined by the amount of spooky girl blood smeared on the ship

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robo Reagan posted:

rather than fuel, distance you can travel is determined by the amount of spooky girl blood smeared on the ship

Meditates on how true this is

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That sounds...yeah reasonably plausible

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robo Reagan posted:

"Just a squirt of Wednesday Adams'll getcha clear across the universe in no time at all."

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Everyone posted:

"Just a squirt of Wednesday Adams'll getcha clear across the universe in no time at all."

PHRASING

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Hrm.........

Hum. Hm.

They live in a creepy skeleton hole and don't leave. What do they know about how big stars are supposed to be.

Also because they live in a very very very deep hole even if they happened to line up with the solar elliptic the hole would only see Dominicus directly for about 3 seconds during a perfect eclipse every few hundred rotations

They're probably just seeing the sun in a mirror over the hole, making it much smaller, mirror sized.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

They live in a creepy skeleton hole and don't leave. What do they know about how big stars are supposed to be.

Also because they live in a very very very deep hole even if they happened to line up with the solar elliptic the hole would only see Dominicus directly for about 3 seconds during a perfect eclipse every few hundred rotations

They're probably just seeing the sun in a mirror over the hole, making it much smaller, mirror sized.

"Out here, you had an unimpeded view up to a pocket of Ninth sky. It was soupy white where the atmosphere was pumped in thickest, and thin and navy where it wasn’t. The bright bead of Dominicus winked benignly down from the mouth of the long vertical tunnel."

Idk just feels too far off to me

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 17, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Even if the hole is a mile across the "unimpeded" view is still a massive telescopic lens effect.

Once you get the Jupiter the sun is no longer a "bead" it is at best a dot, which is why Ceres remains the #2 location, as it's not much further out than mars.

At Pluto it's a point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah that's fair, just felt way further than Luna.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since it's an undead sun, it might be bigger or brighter.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since it's an undead sun, it might be bigger or brighter.

Imagine the smell...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Finagle posted:

Imagine the smell...

In space no one can hear you... barf.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Everyone posted:

In space no one can hear you... barf.

That would have been a relief for Harrowhark

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That would have been a relief for Harrowhark

It also would have been a relief for everybody else who inadvertently ate part of Harrowhark.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Everyone posted:

It also would have been a relief for everybody else who inadvertently ate part of Harrowhark.

It’s been ten thousand years since I ate human.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oof

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

I noticed that in Nona Jod seems to skip over the whole eating long pork thing unless there's something specific that I missed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

I noticed that in Nona Jod seems to skip over the whole eating long pork thing unless there's something specific that I missed.

He ate ten billion pieces of long pork

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Doesn't he have to eat part of alecto to do the lyctor ritual? Probably from the Body.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Doesn't he talk about shoveling dirt into his mouth and trying to choke it down during the climax of his own little story? I took that as him trying to do just that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finished Nona yesterday! This series is so much fun to figure out! I’ve been having a blast reading whatever I want to without concern for spoilers. I really hope Alecto finishes concludes the story. I appreciate when stories and before wearing out their welcome.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did you read as yet unsent?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm waiting for the paperback version of Nona and predicting that the additional content in it will be How Zeta Spent Her Holiday (She Had A Surprisingly Good Time).

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i was absolutely amped to buy a copy of nona, until i heard that the paperback had a new short story and wasn't out til the end of the year. so i just read it from the library, and i won't bother picking up nona until alecto is out

and alecto better not have special bonus content that comes out in a later edition :mad:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Did you read as yet unsent?

Nope and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Wildtortilla posted:

Nope and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

It's in the paperback version of Harrow the Ninth IIRC.

Which is kind of annoying. I already plunked down the money for a hardback but if I want the new story I need to buy the book again in paperback. Presumably if I had any decent willpower, I'd just wait until the books were in paperback so I could get the extra stories. But I do not have decent willpower, so I'll donate Nona the Hardback to my local library and get the paperback version when its available.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You can always just read it, just not on paper.

https://www.tor.com/2022/06/08/as-yet-unsent-tamsyn-muir/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh that explains it. My library has the hard back versions of the books.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah just read it online: it's vg context for nona

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah as much as I adore The Locked Tomb and everything to do with it, I find Tordotcom Publishing deeply frustrating in many ways, and "including extra material to try make you buy multiple copies" is one of them. It's such a naked cash grab.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
It would also be amazing if they could include ANY of these with the audio editions.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Yeah just read it online: it's vg context for nona

Honestly I feel like it's required reading for Nona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tiniestacorn posted:

Honestly I feel like it's required reading for Nona