Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lets gooooooo Shodai!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Question: Is there a guiding prinicple that is used for choosing who from upper Juryo gets brought up to even out the day's matches, or is yet another "mystery of the JSA?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

anakha posted:

With everybody sharing a kyujo Takakeisho, we might have a new record for the lowest scoring fantasy winner lol

I'm almost positive this will be true, especially considering how poorly the sekiwake are doing as well.

ullerrm posted:

Hey Kenning — did my day 6 trade make it in?

Whoops! I did miss it, just updated the sheet to give you Nishikifuji on Day 6 (it did not change your score).

Very chaotic basho, I bet it'll be like an 11-4 yusho or something dumb like that.

Day 7 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
25	MyChemicalImbalance
23	GoatSeeGuy
22	Banana Canada
22	Iron Chef Nex
22	Marching Powder
22	NuclearPotato
21	anakha
21	LlamaTrauma
21	Vargatron
20	Akiosan
20	Everyones Favorite Poster
20	Mode 7
20	pseudodragon
20	Thauros
20	Tiny Bug Child
19	Ice Phisherman
19	Jobbo_Fett
19	MalarkeyToboggan
19	Saturnine Aberrance
18	ratmosphere
18	Teddybear
17	bartolimu
17	scripterror
16	captainblastum
16	Eli949
16	Fluffdaddy
16	Helianthus Annuus
16	Kuros
16	sivad
16	Tochiazuma
15.5	Kenning
15	Khizan
15	Pakled
14	Liquid Communism
13	Netsky
12	Charles Gnarwin
11	Crusty Nutsack
11	Flinger
9	Communist Thoughts
Juryo
code:
23	Beexoffel
23	Lid
22	PJ
22	QuasiQuack
21	Brut
21	Robviously
20	Average Lettuce
20	bessantj
20	Gaghskull
20	riderchop
20	Single Tight Female
20	ullerrm
19	do it on my face
19	Fearless
19	Log082
18	rare Magic card l00k
17	Eldoop
17	Elissimpark
17	Nativity In Black
17	whats for dinner
16	Ben Nerevarine
15	Dead Goon
15	ImplicitAssembler
15	oldskool
15	Samuel L. Hacksaw
14	Boogalo
14	Chinook
14	Pvt. Public
14	Xerzes
13	Bentai

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning posted:

I'm almost positive this will be true, especially considering how poorly the sekiwake are doing as well.

You might as well give everyone a 0.5 point deduction for the kyujo now and save yourself some bookkeeping later. :v:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh god you're right. I'll change it in the final table, that'll be easier than inputting it for every person individually.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Midorifuji seems like a guy who doesn’t get talked about a lot but has been pretty great since he came up, especially for a smaller guy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 8: Hokuseiho is terrifyingly strong and seems almost confused by it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There have been some reaaaaal good matches today all over.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

More and more people are saying this!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

drat but the Drunk Uncles have been in full voice tonight. And the kids too. :3:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oof not going good for my stable but I'm just gonna continue to do my best sumo and hope I can do a bit better for the next half

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

ok i'm used to a slow start from him but his form looks way off. kenning, i'd like to trade Wakatakakage for Kirabayama, Wakamotoharu or Tobizaru in order of preference. wakatakakage fans can thank me when he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of wins from this point forward

well at least it looks like i did hm a favor

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hokuseiho is a frighteningly large adult son, to be sure

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hokuseiho out there making Kotoeko look like a small adult son

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Day 8 Juryo chat: Ochiai's been rolling in Juryo. After debuting at Ms15 last basho and going 7-0, he's at the very bottom of the Juyro ranks and tied for the lead at 7-1 with Asanoyama, Ichinojo, and Gonoyama. Granted he's only faced folks J10 and under, but for only his second professional tournament he's off to a blazing start.

Also interesting: Asanoyama's one loss was to Ichinojo; Ichinojo's one loss was to Gonoyama. Gonoyama's one loss was to Roga, though, and Ochiai's was to Tamashoho.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Beeswax posted:

Hokuseiho out there making Kotoeko look like a small adult son

This match just further solidified me as a Kotoeko fan. The guy never gives up, and even looks competitive against dudes twice his size.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Day 8 Juryo chat: Ochiai's been rolling in Juryo. After debuting at Ms15 last basho and going 7-0, he's at the very bottom of the Juyro ranks and tied for the lead at 7-1 with Asanoyama, Ichinojo, and Gonoyama. Granted he's only faced folks J10 and under, but for only his second professional tournament he's off to a blazing start.

Also interesting: Asanoyama's one loss was to Ichinojo; Ichinojo's one loss was to Gonoyama. Gonoyama's one loss was to Roga, though, and Ochiai's was to Tamashoho.

I'm quite interested in how Shonannoumi is going. He's spent nearly a decade trying to get into the salaried ranks and now that he's here he has a good chance of making it into the Makuuchi division. He's currently at J3 with a record of 5-3 (2 of those losses are to Ichinojo and Ansanoyama so he doesn't need to fight them again) which isn't great but I think if he manages a 9-6 or 10-5 he has a good shot at getting that promotion. He's had a bout in Makuuchi beating Bushozan. Making it to the Makuuchi division after 9 years of trying would be great reward for his efforts.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ABEMA knows why we're watching sumo:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CleverMoistKleeBIRB-_RX8DcuGInufM6DY

*edit*
No pressure, kid!
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1637381021405442048

Bentai fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 19, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
drat that's clever

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Without a doubt. Ochiai picked up an injury on day 7 (probably an elbow hyper-extension), and Shimanoumi went right to work on it. Ochiai showed some real impressive defensive thinking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That is some high end sumo thinking.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

whoa i had no idea he was another hakuho guy. he obviously warranted it but how did he earn a debut at makushita 15 anyway? i know about the university sumo promotions like with kinbozan, but this presumably doesn't apply to him since he's 19 and doesn't have a school listed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ochiai owns

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Thauros posted:

whoa i had no idea he was another hakuho guy. he obviously warranted it but how did he earn a debut at makushita 15 anyway? i know about the university sumo promotions like with kinbozan, but this presumably doesn't apply to him since he's 19 and doesn't have a school listed

As part of a larger post about Makushita Tsukedashi in general:

Fantasy Basho posted:

Yet in the future, it is entirely possible January 2023 will not be best remembered for Takakeisho making a Yokozuna run. It could be remembered as the debut of Ochiai. For the unfamiliar, Ochiai is a 19 year old former high school Yokozuna. His final year in high school, he finished in the top 8 of the All Japan Amateur Sumo Championships. That would have made him eligible to start in the Sandanme division had he joined professional sumo after school. Instead, he spent a year working in his father’s firm and competing in corporate sumo. After winning the Corporate Yokozuna title, he joined Miyagino stable for January as a Makushita Tsukedashi.

13 different Universities have produced Makushita Tsukedashi. By far the most successful has been Nihon University. 37 Makushita Tsukedashi are former Nihon University students, including Wajima and Kotomitsuki. The group of Makushita Tsukedashi wrestlers tend to have some similar characteristics. They enter sumo slightly older, with a good sense of what they are doing, and a wealth of competitive experience.

Yet Ochiai doesn’t totally fit this bill, because he did not attend University. That isn’t completely unprecedented, but it is quite rare. 14 wrestlers started in Makushita without first attending University. Largely, this group has not been as impressive as their peers who competed in University sumo. They also have been getting increasingly rare over the last few decades. The last one was Ichinojo, who joined pro sumo in 2013. Before that, no one had done it since Tochitaiki in 1995. Ichinojo is by far the best parallel to Ochiai. Like Ochiai, he was a high school standout who decided to delay his professional career by a year to garner more amateur accolades. He also dominated his first professional basho.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 20, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

I think it's because he was an amateur yokozuna.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ownchiai

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Corporate sumo? That sounds cyberpunk as hell, what's the deal with that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Nessus posted:

Corporate sumo? That sounds cyberpunk as hell, what's the deal with that.

Japanese fight club

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Brut posted:

As part of a larger post about Makushita Tsukedashi in general:

The Ichinojo comparison reminds me, has there been anybody since Ichinojo who debuted in Makuuchi before they could get their hair into the mage? At this rate Ochiai will manage it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lucasar posted:

The Ichinojo comparison reminds me, has there been anybody since Ichinojo who debuted in Makuuchi before they could get their hair into the mage? At this rate Ochiai will manage it.

Endo IIRC

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

anakha posted:

Endo IIRC

Endo was before Ichinojo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

finally watched this. the kid is really loving good, but i couldn't imagine the pressure that would come with taking that name.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Brut posted:

Endo was before Ichinojo

lol my blind rear end just skimmed past the 'since Ichinojo' qualifier

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lucasar posted:

Kinbozan is M14 and doesn't have the full leaf right now, my man.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

JohnCompany posted:

Kinbozan is M14 and doesn't have the full leaf right now, my man.

Bit of a gray area, as I understand it the simpler version as seen on folks with too short hair or just low divisions is the Chonmage, and the fanned out leaf is the Oicho.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tokoshoryu had the best hair fan.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Shodai could be one of the greatest yokozuna ever as long as absolutely nobody tells him what his rank is.

"Just put on this rope and do a little dance. No reason. The people just love to see it."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Shodai could be one of the greatest yokozuna ever as long as absolutely nobody tells him what his rank is.

"Just put on this rope and do a little dance. No reason. The people just love to see it."

shodai's yokozuna dance would be foot stomp, lower, lower, sits down, lies down, sleeps. applause.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Marching Powder posted:

shodai's yokozuna dance would be foot stomp, lower, lower, sits down, lies down, sleeps. applause.

he drives the demons out of the earth by farting in his sleep

the deities are proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Would Shodai choose the "Honk-Shoo" or the "Honk-Mimimi" dohyo-iri?