Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I did like surfer Goku in those earlier DBZ dubs on Toonami. Had some charm.

I've been enjoying seeing the original Dragon Ball for the first time this past year or so, really cool. Just a nostalgic fun imaginative adventure. Nostalgic even though I hadn't seen it too, just the vibe. Now I know how cool Tao Pai Pai is, and even more so I know Krillin is the ultimate homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Can't remember was that the version with the English intro with the super cheesy lyrics "dragon baaaaaall the ultimate battle the ultimate fight between evil and good"

I will defend the Ocean Dub as having some really quality leading voices and I'll even stan for Blue Water on occasion but they're the budget studio for a reason.

Yes indeed.
https://youtu.be/mVrVTinOsBw

And yeah, we're both Gundam fans here so I think we both like the Zeta dub by and large? English Kamille and Four are legit good, IMO. I wanna say BW also did Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force, and while it's not a good dub, it fits Zoids pretty well. It is hokey and takes itself way too seriously and I love it.

I guess Zoids is pretty old school by now. It has an am amazing OST that should probably be in a better anime. But again, it kinda fits being hokey and yet played straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUgh-EXJmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_02iQMnj0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEgDJNtY7o

And of course Ocean rules. They did both X-Men Evolution and Inuyasha, pivotal parts of my early teenage years. And, going back to Gundam, nearly all of those until very recently.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 20, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can pinpoint the first time I watched Dragon Ball because I was excited to watch a DBZ episode and then I got kid Goku and Bulma getting chased by these weird red ribbon guys and their voices were wrong and it looked cheaper and different and 8 year old me was like "this isn't dragon ball Zeeeeeee"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I can pinpoint the first time I watched Dragon Ball because I was excited to watch a DBZ episode and then I got kid Goku and Bulma getting chased by these weird red ribbon guys and their voices were wrong and it looked cheaper and different and 8 year old me was like "this isn't dragon ball Zeeeeeee"

Hey, imagine watching Toonami which had DB, DBZ, and DBGT, which also stars a Kid Goku. I was so lost.

A fun story, at least to me. During one run of DBZ on Toonami back in...2002 or 2003, they stopped with Majin Vegeta blewing himself up against Buu. Restarted the whole series after that. So, little NikkolasKing thought "wow, I can't believe that's how DBZ ended." And I continued to think this for a while until I was at some camp and a kid there told me that was not the real ending.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The best role Tiffany Grant ever had was in Burn Up as the tech head whose laptop gets blasted and she opens fire on the bad guys while screaming "arrrrggghhh HAVE ANOTHER LEAD ENEMA, SLIME BALLS!!"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
currently having lunch at New York Grill, as featured in 2019’s “City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes.” posting about it here because my lovely fiancée rightfully does not care about my dork bullshit

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 8, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Now that's cool! XYZ

I'm still watching Slam Dunk, which rules. And on Dragon Ball about to get into the second tournament arc, after the Baba bit. On City Hunter, I'm on City Hunter 2! And by on it I mean I watched two eps of it last year, but I'll get back on it, yessir.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Now that's cool! XYZ

I'm still watching Slam Dunk, which rules. And on Dragon Ball about to get into the second tournament arc, after the Baba bit. On City Hunter, I'm on City Hunter 2! And by on it I mean I watched two eps of it last year, but I'll get back on it, yessir.
i went to Nakano Broadway afterwards and ran into a City Hunter pop-up shop between visiting a high-end cel store and look at second-hand watch stores. it was me, my fiancée, and a dozen middle-aged japanese ladies buying bags full of Ryo Saeba merch. you absolutely love to see it.

will be posting my tchotchkes when i get out of this incredibly deep bathtub.

e:

belated hbd

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 27, 2023

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a way for me to purchase Sailor Moon Season 1 subtitled on VHS?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Peteyfoot posted:

Is there a way for me to purchase Sailor Moon Season 1 subtitled on VHS?

Apparently only Sailor Moon S had subtitled tapes, and movies.

As for me, was big on anime DVDs, only had a few VHS tapes. Even just digging into some anime that doesn't have blu-ray upgrades, like Trigun, I feel the various analog-esque video aspects of DVD are suitably oldschool. Rainbowing, dotcrawl, aliasing, an anime DVD is like playing a video game from 1999. But good luck on your quest.

It is wild how so many anime won't get a nice remaster, and a lot will always have some degree of ghosting and interlaced aspects. Read a big AnimeNewsNetwork article on interlacing the other day. Though deinterlace settings and fan encodes are cool too. But these are nitpicks, oldschool anime is worthwhile in any quality.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 12, 2023

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Apparently only Sailor Moon S had subtitled tapes, and movies.

As for me, was big on anime DVDs, only had a few VHS tapes. Even just digging into some anime that doesn't have blu-ray upgrades, like Trigun, I feel the various analog-esque video aspects of DVD are suitably oldschool. Rainbowing, dotcrawl, aliasing, an anime DVD is like playing a video game from 1999. But good luck on your quest.

It is wild how so many anime won't get a nice remaster, and a lot will always have some degree of ghosting and interlaced aspects. Read a big AnimeNewsNetwork article on interlacing the other day. Though deinterlace settings and fan encodes are cool too. But these are nitpicks, oldschool anime is worthwhile in any quality.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the subtitled tapes! That does help. Also I wasn't able to find the article you mentioned, would you mind linking it? It sounds fascinating!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Peteyfoot posted:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the subtitled tapes! That does help. Also I wasn't able to find the article you mentioned, would you mind linking it? It sounds fascinating!

Sure, there's also a reply thread to it that's kinda interesting.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-08-31/.105865

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw69hd8OOI

The IY haters I used to see a lot loved to drag this out to poo poo on the show but I love it so much. Adult Swim knew what we were here for.

What I'm still here for twenty years later.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kind of like the "Parn! Deed!" from Lodoss War. I should tackle InuYasha sometime, I liked the first 10 eps or so I saw way back in the day. And had one vol of the manga.

And yep, I looked at one of the anime/manga charts ™, it is interesting how they adapted it. Overall a lot more chapters per episode than I'd have guessed, often like four or five chapters an ep early on. And generally two chapters an ep at the least, which is respectable.

That said, I've been meaning to get back to and finish the Ranma manga etc, lots of Takahashi to take in.

And so many obscure anime I'd love to either watch or just see a few eps of for a taste. Steam Detectives and Ruin Explorers are a couple random one I added lately. And always been curious about Silent Mobius, stuff like that.

Been indulging in some rewatching too, which I don't do much for series. It's crazy nostalgia rewatching Cowboy Bebop, since it'd been about 20 years since I've seen it all. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Nadesico, gonna throw some of the ol' hits in the mix. Been meaning to rewatch Hajime no Ippo and hop onto the manga too, ditto for GTO and some others. Only ever saw the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho... lotta anime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

And so many obscure anime I'd love to either watch or just see a few eps of for a taste. Steam Detectives and Ruin Explorers are a couple random one I added lately. And always been curious about Silent Mobius, stuff like that.

Been indulging in some rewatching too, which I don't do much for series. It's crazy nostalgia rewatching Cowboy Bebop, since it'd been about 20 years since I've seen it all. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Nadesico, gonna throw some of the ol' hits in the mix. Been meaning to rewatch Hajime no Ippo and hop onto the manga too, ditto for GTO and some others. Only ever saw the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho... lotta anime.

Ruin Explorers is an underrated gem. It even has a great dub for the time, and from ADV who would sometimes only direct their actors with "okay, now louder."

I revisited Trigun and Outlaw Star recently and they both hold up. The latter's one of those series that inexplicably means a lot for a variety of reasons, so bias. I'm old enough to remember people yelling that Outlaw Star ripped off Bebop despite the only similarities really being "people on a small spaceship do things" and the manga for Outlaw Star coming out before Bebop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outlaw Star is the clear 3rd place runner up to Bebop and Trigun for late 90s sci-fi anime. It's a weird show but it doesn't get hung up on explaining itself so you just roll with it and have a good time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dawgstar posted:

Ruin Explorers is an underrated gem. It even has a great dub for the time, and from ADV who would sometimes only direct their actors with "okay, now louder."

Nice, I'll pop that up the list.

And for sure Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, talk about cool. 1998 is unstoppable.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The previous mention of lodoss war got me posting the op from the heroic knight series because Holy poo poo I forgot how amazing it is. Really wish there was a hq version of the show to go with the ova blu ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgz76YKHHY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Kind of like the "Parn! Deed!" from Lodoss War. I should tackle InuYasha sometime, I liked the first 10 eps or so I saw way back in the day. And had one vol of the manga.

As a Ranma fan, you might know Takahashi has a rep for not being repetitive and no good at endings. I love Inuyasha but this is very true here. The series starts off very monster-of-the-week with myth and historical stuff as they look for Shkon Jewel shards, then eventually settles into a main plot. I kinda break the series into the "sets" the DVDs/blurays do, so Set 2 and 3 (Episodes 28-83) are the best for me. End of Set 1 is pretty good, though. But my point is just that the series is primarily about drama, characters, and relationships. All of these were at their freshest and therefore strongest here before they were dragged out and run into the ground.

Inuyasha be a 10/10 if it hadn't just gone on for far, far too long.

And I just don't even like The Final Act. They finally started officially releasing IY manga sets on Kindle/Viz a few years ago now. I'd just read those instead of watching Final Act which has the worst pacing ever. IMO, absurdly fast pacing is way, way worse than slow pacing and Final Act just wasn't long enough to properly adapt the final manga volumes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Outlaw Star is the clear 3rd place runner up to Bebop and Trigun for late 90s sci-fi anime. It's a weird show but it doesn't get hung up on explaining itself so you just roll with it and have a good time.

in what place does lost universe end up?

does it even place at all?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NikkolasKing posted:

As a Ranma fan, you might know Takahashi has a rep for not being repetitive and no good at endings. I love Inuyasha but this is very true here. The series starts off very monster-of-the-week with myth and historical stuff as they look for Shkon Jewel shards, then eventually settles into a main plot. I kinda break the series into the "sets" the DVDs/blurays do, so Set 2 and 3 (Episodes 28-83) are the best for me. End of Set 1 is pretty good, though. But my point is just that the series is primarily about drama, characters, and relationships. All of these were at their freshest and therefore strongest here before they were dragged out and run into the ground.

Inuyasha be a 10/10 if it hadn't just gone on for far, far too long.

And I just don't even like The Final Act. They finally started officially releasing IY manga sets on Kindle/Viz a few years ago now. I'd just read those instead of watching Final Act which has the worst pacing ever. IMO, absurdly fast pacing is way, way worse than slow pacing and Final Act just wasn't long enough to properly adapt the final manga volumes.

Right on, good to know. The only Takahashi ending I've seen so far was Maison Ikkoku via the anime, which was pretty good, go figure. But I have heard that, I gotta finish more Takahashis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sb hermit posted:

does it even place at all?

I tried watching it as a big Slayers fan and I remember bouncing off it pretty hard. It didn't have Slayers' spark.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dawgstar posted:

I tried watching it as a big Slayers fan and I remember bouncing off it pretty hard. It didn't have Slayers' spark.

That's my experience as well, as "a story set in one of the four parallel universes" in Slayers I had high hopes, but Lost Universe just didn't deliver. Looking at its wiki page it seems to have had its share of production woes, so maybe the story could be redone better. Did the the other two ever get expanded on?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ardeem posted:

That's my experience as well, as "a story set in one of the four parallel universes" in Slayers I had high hopes, but Lost Universe just didn't deliver. Looking at its wiki page it seems to have had its share of production woes, so maybe the story could be redone better. Did the the other two ever get expanded on?

I don't think so. And if they did, it was not to the same extent that Slayers and Lost Universe received.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I kinda remember this, but I did not remember fuckin' Keith David was the narrator for this promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1bkC9wInE

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kingtheninja posted:

The previous mention of lodoss war got me posting the op from the heroic knight series because Holy poo poo I forgot how amazing it is. Really wish there was a hq version of the show to go with the ova blu ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgz76YKHHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zihBIsTFE
Maaya Rules

sb hermit posted:

[fart noise]

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One thing on Lost Universe that sprung to mind that meant it didn't really measure up to Slayers is that while Slayers' character were all pretty simple in concept they were also well defined. The female lead in LU said she wanted to be "the best ever!" and I'm not entirely sure that in the part I watched - which was probably the first VHS - we ever found out at what exactly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only interesting thing about lost universe is the connection to slayers, which is a lore detail that never actually comes up. on its own merits it's a whole lot of nothin'.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1654553216363950080

Can't say this isn't tempting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, Iria rocks. Discotek is great, I got a couple of their Lupin releases recently.

Also, that green tea and cake sounds good!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah discotek is awesome. I've got their ronin warriors release and the Sherlock hound set too. Really happy with both.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The live action Zeiram film is also really excellent. I should probably track down the sequel one of these days.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell yeah it is about time

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The way, in early Bebop, how Mai Yamane sings, "and then you said you were embarRASSED", has lived in my head paying rent in dividends forever. Queen poo poo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like it! It's Bebop o'clock 24/7 here, 3 2 1 let's jam. Ask your mom!

On nerdy minutia, I was reading on the blu-ray.com forum how the Funimation blu-ray of Bebop messed up the framerate a bit. Since CGI shots were often 30 FPS originally, but now are all 24 FPS, I actually did not notice having re-watched half the series. But apparently some of the later more digital-ish episodes are nicer in some other region blu-ray releases that are 30i or 60i or whatever. Wild stuff.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 9, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whatcha gonna do, little Buckaroo?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know and have no opinion.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pootybutt posted:

The way, in early Bebop, how Mai Yamane sings, "and then you said you were embarRASSED", has lived in my head paying rent in dividends forever. Queen poo poo.
or some

thingfrenchlikedat

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm going to read through this thread and start posting when I do, but some of the titles mentioned already, i still think of them as "oh, yeah, that new show for the 2002 season I haven't gotten around to starting yet"

"new"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

Anecdote: Nadesico had the first character, Izumi, who made me feel really bad for localizers because I think 99% of what she said was wordplay that made sense only in Japanese.