Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i don’t think the bond films are very good, but the series regularly produces villains who are entertaining just because of their sheer, unabashed loathing for James Bond and his smug bullshit.

i love me a henchman who is so committed to ending Bond’s life that they’ll crash a jet or start swinging a fire axe in a burning building. the commitment is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Quantum of Solace would have been improved with this superior choice for its theme https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho

I giggle hard at this every time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Quantum of Solace would have been improved with this superior choice for its theme https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho

It's still less ridiculous than the MUSE song they floated as 'their version' of a bond theme; Surpemacy. That would've been Skyfall era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

I have to admire Christoph Waltz for adhering to the Bond movies' most sacred tradition, that the best Bond Villain actors end up in the absolute worst Bond movies. He can take his place alongside Walken and Lee.

Reminds me of how someone said that Pierce Brosnan got better at Bond as the movies got worse.

Alhazred posted:

Somehow they're still making live action Asterix and Obelix movies. I don't know what's wilder, that they've been doing it for two decades and yet only been able to make five movies, not even once making a good movie, or that Zlatan Ibrahimović is playing a roman legionnaire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBknYdEECsw

Asterix is huge in France and popular around Europe, and most of the books hold up pretty great.

The only good movies are the animated ones, of course. Absolutely a case for 'I've seen lots of live action movies that should have been animated, I've never seen any animated movies that should have been live action.'

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A lady fell down the stairs during my viewing of 1917. They stopped it, moved us outside then shuffled everyone back in when she was trolleyed out. They picked it up 10mins earlier and it completely ruined the flow of the movie, it happened just after the burning village sequence.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1636884770134298626?s=20

"Good Job 007 now that you've knocked out the African dignitary, take his clothes and assume his identity"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Prologue is the climbing accident that killed his mom and dad. It's all quicktime events that you can't win.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

"Good Job 007 now that you've knocked out the African dignitary, take his clothes and assume his identity"

I literally can't not hear that as Diana Burnwood.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Some drunk lady stumbled into a showing of Killer Joe and puked (sounding like a ripping canvas bag) all over the first couple of rows. Ppl just moved up the theater rows. It fit the vibe of the movie perfectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't know James Bond had such a similar upbringing to Batman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

IIRC Batman Begins started life as Nolan's failed James Bond pitch so the circle is complete.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How come nobody has tried to make an Art Bell movie yet?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gonz posted:

Prologue is the climbing accident that killed his mom and dad. It's all quicktime events that you can't win.
Movie opening is a straight remake of the beginning of Cliffhanger, except we see Young Blofeld sneakily sawing through the harness clips.

God, they actually made Bond and Blofeld foster brothers, didn't they? It feels like a fever dream or Austin Powers, but no, they really did it in an official James Bond movie. "It was all me, all along, James!" [Laughs like Judge Doom]

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

How come nobody has tried to make an Art Bell movie yet?

Vast of Night did a great job of conjuring up the feeling of listening to Art Bell while driving late at night for me.

Unless you mean an Art Bell biopic, that would rule.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1636884770134298626?s=20

Dunno why this is becoming a news item suddenly. They said from the get go this would be an origin story and they they got permission from Barbara Broccoli to create their fully original Bond. They recently gave a talk regurgitating those exact same points and now the media is reporting it as some new revelation.

My main question is if they will have Bond voiced by a freaking voice actor that they can call on for updates and stuff instead of trying to force another celebrity into the role. Have Matthew Mercer voice Bond.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Enos Cabell posted:

Vast of Night did a great job of conjuring up the feeling of listening to Art Bell while driving late at night for me.

He's kinda sorta responsible for the Heaven Gates mass suicide

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AceOfFlames posted:

Dunno why this is becoming a news item suddenly. They said from the get go this would be an origin story and they they got permission from Barbara Broccoli to create their fully original Bond. They recently gave a talk regurgitating those exact same points and now the media is reporting it as some new revelation.

My main question is if they will have Bond voiced by a freaking voice actor that they can call on for updates and stuff instead of trying to force another celebrity into the role. Have Matthew Mercer voice Bond.

I know he's not a voice actor but I vote Matt Berry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Enos Cabell posted:

I never really had experience with Art Bell, but I have fond memories of the early 00's, and listening to George Noory on the night shift. It really did help pass the the quiet hours of midnight to 4am.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Payndz posted:

Movie opening is a straight remake of the beginning of Cliffhanger, except we see Young Blofeld sneakily sawing through the harness clips.

God, they actually made Bond and Blofeld foster brothers, didn't they? It feels like a fever dream or Austin Powers, but no, they really did it in an official James Bond movie. "It was all me, all along, James!" [Laughs like Judge Doom]

Young Bloefeld dumping Vaseline into Bond's glove would be a much better homage to Cliffhanger

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cael posted:

I've been meaning to revisit it because it seems like one lost to history. Goldeneye straight up owns bones with no qualifiers needed, World is Not Enough and Die Another Day mix laughable bad and totally boring, but while I remember Tomorrow Never Dies being good I don't remember much else about it.

Besides Jonathan Pryce hamming it up and the finale being set on some kind of stealth boat(?)
It's easily the second best Brosnan, which I realize isn't saying much. You're right that it does tend to get forgotten between the fantastic Goldeneye and how ridiculous the ones after it got, but it's not bad. Kind of a better, more modern version of The Spy Who Loved Me. Also, great theme song by Sheryl Crow.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, I loved The Vast of Night. I’m not even sure why they set it in the 50s considering it’s such a 90s conspiracy radio movie.

Also Art Bell is in the 2006 Prey video game!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to listen to a lot of art bell clips back in the day, late at night. I should listen to some now.

I think alien stories and conspiracy stuff mostly rules and I want it to come back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I used to listen to a lot of art bell clips back in the day, late at night. I should listen to some now.

I think alien stories and conspiracy stuff mostly rules and I want it to come back.
Unfortunately that stuff metamorphosed into actual dangerous conspiracy theories like Q-Anon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know. But I’d still like it back. It’s still fun and you can play it without alluding the reptilians are Jewish people.

I enjoyed all the goofy conspiracy stuff in Godzilla vs kong

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's always Bigfoot, who apparently is interdimensional, per that one expert I heard on C2CAM that one time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Cryptids are cool, more Bat Boy in all media please.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm pretty sure basically everyone was saying Skyfall absolutely turned Bond into Batman, complete with his own Alfred.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Asterix is huge in France and popular around Europe, and most of the books hold up pretty great.

Again, I know this. Its just the huge time gap between the movies that's weird to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I've been going through old art bell shows all week and it's really astonishing how often the show stops dead so he can pay lip service to conservative Christians, since seemingly most of his audience were that

It's not enough to make me not enjoy it but seriously, even things like "abortion is wrong" come out of art's mouth a lot and it gets very distracting, especially since if you listen to the shows with Terence McKenna it's pretty clear that Art wasn't really a conservative

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shageletic posted:

He's kinda sorta responsible for the Heaven Gates mass suicide

uh what

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kalel posted:

uh what

drat shame I can't directly quote it due to being an old pdf

https://cdn.centerforinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/1997/07/22165006/p22.pdf

The idea that there was a UFO trailing Hale Bopp's Comet was promulgated first and repeated on Art Bell's show by the rear end in a top hat Courtney Brown and Art Bell readily passed off Brown's doctored pictures proving it as proof of the theory and repeatedly posted the picture himself. Art Bell lied about it coming from an anonymous source.

AFAIK it was the first appearance of the theory that there was a spaceshape behind the comet in conspiracy circles. The leaders of the then Heaven's Gate cult were avid listeners and believed that it was their way to go to Heaven.

Ensue mass suicide.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

uh what

Art Bell once hosted a guest who claimed that the Halle-Bopp comet had a UFO trailing it, which the Heaven's Gate cult then committed mass suicide in order to hitch a ride on it.

Personally I think claiming Bell was "responsible" is a huge stretch since (at least according to the Last Podcast On The Left series on Heaven's Gate Redux, which usually has impeccable research), the Heaven's Gate cult had apocalyptic stuff baked into it from day 1 (leaders Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles AKA "Ti and Do" literally believed themselves to be the two witnesses from the Book of Revelation) and after Nettles died, Applewhite was so erratic and depressed that it was inevitable that he would cook up something like this and Hale-Bopp was just the excuse he latched onto.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure basically everyone was saying Skyfall absolutely turned Bond into Batman, complete with his own Alfred.
Bond’s parents dying in a ski accident was a detail Fleming put into You Only Live Twice the novel, released in ‘64. A couple years after Dr. No was in theaters. Not sure how many movies mention it but it’s been some random trivia that I thought was pretty common knowledge about the character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AceOfFlames posted:

Art Bell once hosted a guest who claimed that the Halle-Bopp comet had a UFO trailing it, which the Heaven's Gate cult then committed mass suicide in order to hitch a ride on it.

Personally I think claiming Bell was "responsible" is a huge stretch since (at least according to the Last Podcast On The Left series on Heaven's Gate Redux, which usually has impeccable research), the Heaven's Gate cult had apocalyptic stuff baked into it from day 1 (leaders Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles AKA "Ti and Do" literally believed themselves to be the two witnesses from the Book of Revelation) and after Nettles died, Applewhite was so erratic and depressed that it was inevitable that he would cook up something like this and Hale-Bopp was just the excuse he latched onto.

I think having Brown on multiple times about it and not pushing back on it was insanely irresponsible, and if you look at the article I posted Art Bell was absolutely unremorseful or even saddened by the event. So yeah maybe he didn't murk 39 people but my god he was an rear end in a top hat about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:(

I really despise that wave of talk show hosts in the 80s and 90s who propagated conspiracy theory crap. stuff like UFOs but also devil worship/occult, MLMs, etc. at least now it seems like it's moved to podcasts instead of nationally-syndicated television shows but man I hate dubious pseudoscience passed off as fact with complete impunity

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

kalel posted:

:(

I really despise that wave of talk show hosts in the 80s and 90s who propagated conspiracy theory crap. stuff like UFOs but also devil worship/occult, MLMs, etc. at least now it seems like it's moved to podcasts instead of nationally-syndicated television shows but man I hate dubious pseudoscience passed off as fact with complete impunity
The sad thing is Bro Jogan probably has a wider teacher than Art Bell ever did.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol that Blofeld being Bond’s secret brother was literally a plot point stolen from the third Austin Powers movie. We’re truly in the post parody age.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Writing excuse plots for the international murder cop series is hard. Sometimes you confuse it with parodies of itself because you don’t understand why anyone wants to keep doing this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, Heaven's Gate was basically doomed to self destruct once Nettles died since their entire cult was structured around the idea that a spaceship would come get them while they were all still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think its very important to remember that during the era Bell was active, a lot of the conspiracy poo poo he dealt with was seen as more "acceptable", for lack of a better word, than it is today. Like, the problems were always there just beneath the surface, but the popular opinion was that is was perfectly harmless at the time. And pop-culture was more than happy to mine that stereotype for comedy gold - look at those kooks, aren't they silly? Surely they'd never be able to pull off an insurrection! Your Dale Gribble's, that radio guy from 2012 - or for that matter, just about everything Roland Emmerich's ever done - that's what the average American thought when they heard "conspiracy theories" back in the day.

It wasn't until QAnon found an audience and people started to realize just what kind of person was actually eating this poo poo up before public opinion really started to shift.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2023