Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Goblins rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the goblins are either the "devolved" gnomes or elves of yore given a passage in this vol

quote:

There was no one to care. The Goblins lived and died. The other races paid little attention to them, save for when the Goblins became a threat. No one remembered who the Goblins had once been.

Not even them. But some dreamed. Some looked back as the past called to them. But only the Kings knew the truth of it.

I would tend to favor them being gnomes given their small size and "tinkerer" classes. Their lack of significant magical aptitude also tends to disfavor the possibility of being an elven offshoot IMO.

I believe guess the fairies called the goblins... "the children" and "the youngest" last volume, so that lends some credence to the idea that they are offshoots of those lost races to me.
. TWI: Vol 4

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

LLSix posted:

Wow, that was a lot of webtoons suggestions. Thanks!

Just remembered Knight Run is on Webtoon and hell sure I guess I'll recc that too even though the words are an incoherent mess most of the time.

I mean it's the web serial thread, where would we be if we let the words being an incoherent mess put us off

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ah, I'd figured the image on the cover was Erin's inn teleported to the middle of the sea. I guess it's Hogwarts Wistram.

quote:

“I appreciate that we are being fed immediately upon our arrival, but are you sure there’s no welcoming speech? No introduction?”
“So there isn’t a formal ceremony where we choose where we want to end up? I thought we’d be assigned to a group or…a faction or something.”
Calvaron laughed into his food and even Beatrice’s head smiled.
“Don’t be daft. Who’d be stupid enough to publicly announce which side you’re on? Not to mention that you can’t just put people into groups like that.”

Throwing some shade on the sorting hat
TWI: Vol 4

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Not a big fan of the Wistram chapters. I love Pisces and Ceria, but I didn't really care for the school politics.

Also (final climax of Wistram chapters)

I was really upset at that one Dullahan student who threw Ceria's master's spell book in the ocean, even after one of the senior mages threatened to make sure it got to her. That one action probably set back Ceria years in her advancement. It wasn't Ceria's fault that the Dullahan's lover, the Centaur student got killed during Pisces final action. Attack Pisces for that, but not Ceria. I'm still hoping someone fishes it out of the ocean since it froze instantly when hitting the water.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
“Elaine! Just the elaine I wanted to see!”

Heh. Also,

Aware posted:

Goblins rule.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
Too bad that BtDEM is going to end now that White Dove is going to curse Elaine with impossible curse.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Gladi posted:

Too bad that BtDEM is going to end now that White Dove is going to curse Elaine with impossible curse.

That is a cruel, cruel cliffhanger and I wonder how much his patreon is going to jump

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I hope you're all ready for the plot twist where the curse just kills her instantly and the story jumps back to pre-timeskip side stories. It's one of the weirder things I've seen a story do.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm certainly getting some Wistram fatigue 5 chapters in the 7. It's kinda hard to get super invested when I know both of them are going to get expelled from statements earlier in the series, so I know the general outline of how things will go. Nothing has really been a surprise for me so far in the plotting either. It's all been pretty predicable. I guess I'll keep slogging through these last two chapters, but I honestly kinda feel like just skipping them. TWI: Vol 4

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It sort of builds some background for Cognita which comes back around later but also ends up another currently unfinished arc.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
"Whenever you heal, you take that much damage" was a pretty brutal curse, yeah.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

BadMedic posted:

That is a cruel, cruel cliffhanger and I wonder how much his patreon is going to jump

14 people so far, most at the $3 tier.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wittgen posted:

I wonder if that would get Elaine to drop her Oath and pivot to being the awesome fire(ball) mage she always wanted to be.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, I never thought I'd see Erin like this, but she was an ENORMOUS jerk to Lyon at their reunion. I'm glad to see Zel had a talking to her because she was rapidly depleting the good will I'd built up toward Erin over the past few vols. TWI: Vol 4

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, but she got the offer to become white dove's apprentice at the same time, which has led to a neat metaphysical journey.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Those fake Dragoneye spoilers are pretty funny

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I continue to deeply appreciate the Worth The Candle ad reads in TUTBAD.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
They're really the most glorious little things that shouldn't work but do, and it's all thanks to how very earnestly it's treated by the author and characters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

“Normally it’s not like this,” said Mizuki. “We fart around, delve dungeons, have picnics, test entads —”

“You have entads?” asked Fenn. “Nice.”

“It is nice,” said Mizuki.
I think I've worked out why I don't really enjoy Thresholder. Doesn't have entads.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Also it's just not very good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
might be better with entads

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well I completed Vol 4 of The Wandering Inn. I really enjoyed the whole Winter Solstice dealio.. That was probably my favorite part of the book. Though the portal door shenanigans are pretty high up there too. The Wistram portions were probably my low points of the book.

Ryoka really needs to get that loving spell book back to Krshia and stop dicking around hundreds of miles away.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 22, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You think that TWI is dicking around now? You are about to get to the point where the number of words take off to the stratosphere because pirateaba gets a high quality keyboard and suddenly everyone is a main character.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pirateaba needs to get a thesaurus to find synonyms for “bemused.”

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's a thing with a lot of authors, especially in the publishing space, especially when they learn a new word that they like, or have a certain pet word. Bemused is one of the big ones that gets used a lot, because there arent a ton of synonyms for it that are often appropriate. Confused and bewildered are often considered to be too strong of an emotional carrier, and a lot of the other synonyms like puzzled or perplexed aren't quite the right fit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Copacetic

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Most web serial authors that use bemused seem to think that it's a synonym for amused. I try not to be a grammar nazi but that one really gets my goat along with droll.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Most web serial authors that use bemused seem to think that it's a synonym for amused. I try not to be a grammar nazi but that one really gets my goat along with droll.

I have so many better things to get angry about, like reined/rained/reigned and regime/regimen/regiment and pallette/pallet.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

I actually used to think it meant a more subdued kind of amused for some reason, so that one doesn't surprise me, but now I can't help but see it every time.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have so many better things to get angry about, like reined/rained/reigned and regime/regimen/regiment and pallette/pallet.

My personal favorite language crime is grizzly/grisly/gristly. At least one of them is almost guaranteed to be misused in every serial. (Props to the author of Unbound who uses all three correctly.)

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Is it discreet or discrete?

Rather, which one is which?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Selkie Myth posted:

The café had discrete discreet conversations going on!

Edit: The regime made sure to keep the army regiment occupied with their training regimen.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2023

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
On reddit, someone mentioned TWI has a lot of poking, and now I can't help but see it every other page. Apparently it's a gnoll custom though, so maybe Liscor just has a lot of folks poking each other.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Is Volume 5 of TWI Goblin War? Cause reading a million words of goblin genocide burnt me the gently caress out on the story. And finishing the arc just to have it followed up with a baleros chapter made me quit, I was just done with reading about the horrors of war.

In other news I've been enjoying Gleam https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/62157/gleam
...this sounds like a back handed compliment, but it gives me the same vibes as early japanese LN isekai, but done well?
Like the main character's deal is being a Legitimately Good Person, but he actually has character and agency and poo poo instead of being a doormat.
His teammates fit the mold of 'cold girl' and 'loud overconfident guy', but again they have character and those traits are not exaggerated to the point of absurdity.

Overall I've been enjoying it, it's a nice blend of comedy, action, and character moments.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Selkie Myth posted:

Yeah, the overwhelming majority of web serial authors write discrete when they mean discreet. You usually don't need to use the word "discrete" in a fantasy web serial (though I've occasionally seen it used correctly).

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well I completed Vol 4 of The Wandering Inn.[/spoiler]

You're going through it really fast! I'm still on book 8.

truculence
noun. the quality or attitude of being aggressively hostile; belligerence

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 23, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Something I see a lot is people trying to pluralise “scum”.

It’s a mass noun!!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I see this so often in translated xianxia, I think they're trying to convey something about how the word works in Mandarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Speaking of translated xanxia, maybe it’s because of original language but it always annoys me when they gender words when they don’t need to. You can’t just be a saint or a mage, you have to be a saintess or a magess. They aren’t even gendered words to begin with, no one says saintess Teresa just saint Teresa