Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If York made a deal with the WG, then she must be expecting them not to uphold it. She's a Vegapunk, she knows that the WG isn't going to actually reward someone who knows about the Void Century.

York comes off as kind of a simpleton compared to the other Vegapunks, but they all in theory share the same intellect. She's probably got a legitimately good and well-thought-out plan to become a Celestial Dragon, whatever this plan is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If York is the only Vegapunk to sleep, is she now the only one to dream?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eiba posted:

The only odd thing about that is Lucci explicitly confirmed that their orders were to eliminate all the Vegapunks, no exceptions. So CP0 wasn't in on the deal if it included amnesty for York.

You're telling me the World Government would go back on a deal they made if it meant preventing any possibility of the secret of the Void Century coming out?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

You're telling me the World Government would go back on a deal they made if it meant preventing any possibility of the secret of the Void Century coming out?

The Void Deal

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mabels big day posted:

Calling that by the end of the arc Saturn ends up an unwitting hostage on the Straw Hat's ship (the straw hats didnt mean to kidnap him but they do, accidentally) and that is the Egghead Incident

This sounds incredibly plausible, goddamn :stare:

My theory is that Luffy and crew manage to actually repel a Buster Call, not just escape like in Enies Lobby. That would really harm the image of Buster Calls as being this omnipotent force.

E:

jassa posted:

My prediction is not only will one (or more) of the Vegapunks escape with the Strawhats, but they'll be instrumental in revealing some extremely inconvenient truths (such as Imu's existence) to the world, either by transponder snail or via Morgans. In response to this, Imu/Elders will reach their tipping point, and will start implementing plans for a second void century.

Luffy grabs a global broadcast transponder snail:

"Does Imu poop?"

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 19, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm hoping York had contingencies. We have no idea what her deal with them was, but it's pretty obvious that if you go to the Gorsei and say "hey, I know about the Void Century" the first thing they're going to do is try and kill you. I think we can assume that York through far enough ahead to at least predict that.

I think it's more likely that CP0 were told to assassinate York because they weren't trusted to know which Vegapunk was the traitor if it was a super secret deal made directly with the Elder Stars themselves. Or else York did not reveal which Vegapunk she was, or even that she was a Vegapunk.

Right now I think it's just an interesting detail. It may indicate that there is no deal. Yet. The text is "After discussions between the Five Elders and an unknown figure the genius scientist's betrayal had been made clear." Maybe York made a deal, or maybe she just taunted them and provoked them in order to get them to send Saturn or do something else she needed for her plan.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This sounds incredibly plausible, goddamn :stare:

My theory is that Luffy and crew manage to actually repel a Buster Call, not just escape like in Enies Lobby. That would really harm the image of Buster Calls as being this omnipotent force.

E:

Luffy grabs a global broadcast transponder snail:

"Does Imu poop?"

Kidnapping Saturn would also let them override the orders for s-snake to unstone Usopp

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mabels big day posted:

Kidnapping Saturn would also let them override the orders for s-snake to unstone Usopp

they're gonna lock him in the Caribou Barrel

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Kidnapping a Gorousei would make the Strawhat bounties go to Roger level. If Kid + Law survive their current situations they will definitely die of anger after this!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It would genuinely be the height of comedy if the next Strawhat unwilling stowaway was an Elder Star.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The first thing Ussop sees upon being restored is a kidnapped Saturn sitting on the Sunny's lawn while Luffy and Lucci argue what to do with him.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Funky Valentine posted:

It would genuinely be the height of comedy if the next Strawhat unwilling stowaway was an Elder Star.

Speaking of, what's Caribou up to?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
My personal theory is that York built a copy of herself which wraps up some of my lingering questions - the copy was built to live its life as York herself had been living which explains how none of the other satellites were aware that anything was off as it was the copy who did the daily sync with Punk records. The copy then gets stoned by S-Snake which makes CP-0/Saturn write her off as dead leaving her to finish off her plan, whatever it is exactly (body swap shenanigans possibly, as others have suggested).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

York will join the Straw Hats because she's the only Vegapunk that poops

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they probably weren't paying much attention to york's memories of carrying out bodily functions. heck, they probably weren't paying much attention to her in general. while york is relegated to doing the tasks the others don't want to bother with, the rest of them get to live as the world's greatest scientist(s). she was almost certainly built so that she'd enjoy that life of shallow hedonism, but you can't put a lid on desire.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

York will join the Straw Hats because she's the only Vegapunk that poops

theres no way we dont get a "do you poop" joke

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the method by which she was depetrified is incredibly simple. all she'd have to do is tell s-snake to petrify her and then cure her. there's absolutely no mystery, there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1637650319550349313?s=20

One Piece On Ice promo art

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegapunk tearfully explains that he didn't see York's betrayal in her memories is because seeing the memories of someone who eats twelve hours a day and spends the other twelve hours taking a dump gets incredibly boring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

anime was right posted:

theres no way we dont get a "do you poop" joke

She'll be the ship's dedicated pooper

"Luffy I don't think that's how it works"

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So what’s up with the seraphims’ star eyes? Knowing oda it’s gotta reference something. Pentagrams are a known Mark of the d. (Evil)?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

She'll be the ship's dedicated pooper

"Luffy I don't think that's how it works"

my thought was it would be stella and luffy asks if he poops and he makes a really shifty face and mutters "...i do now" or something

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Every ship needs a doctor, a chef, a musician, a poopsmith...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
somebodies gotta swab the poop deck

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anime was right posted:

somebodies gotta swab the poop deck

Sanji volunteering to swab Nami and Robin's....

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

anime was right posted:

my thought was it would be stella and luffy asks if he poops and he makes a really shifty face and mutters "...i do now" or something

Bigger fan of this version:

Funky Valentine posted:

After the arc:

LUFFY: So do you poop?

VEGAPUNK: *single tear falls down face* Not anymore...

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
If I had a nickel for every time I have read a manga where the physical manifestation of someone's greed turns traitor, I would have two nickels, which is not a lot, but it is weird that it happened twice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ONe pIeCE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flair posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I have read a manga where the physical manifestation of someone's greed turns traitor, I would have two nickels, which is not a lot, but it is weird that it happened twice.

is it though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

I feel like there's a third example somewhere, but I can't remember it.

Edit: Maybe it was Re:Zero?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2023

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Flair posted:

If you are going off of Full Metal Alchemist then remember There were 2 different Greeds that turned traitor in it so you would have at least 3 nickels.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Break next week, but we will always treasure these weeks we got three straight chapters.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Prediction: At some point S-Snake will try to turn Sanji to stone, but he'll snap out of it after a couple of seconds.

Yes, I'm saying the self-petrification gag moments in RtS and FMI were also foreshadowing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1079 spoilers:

GAHHH

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 22, 2023

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Plutonis posted:

1079 spoilers:

It's loving Joever for Kidd.

Everything about it is beautiful.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Have the thread's spoiler rules changed? Last I heard, we don't discuss new chapter leaks here until scans are out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Would be nice
I read the shonen releases only and it's like a 1 day window to discuss them until the leaks just gum up the thread for 6 days

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fine!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Fine!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol at the prob AV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the spoilers ar e big