Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My uncle who works at lucky land leaked me a ch. 3 preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm calling it now, that cat they saw near the mansion is this universe's bakin

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My uncle who works at lucky land leaked me a ch. 3 preview

Arnold is pissed about what happened to him in the other world.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
My favorite bit of Araki stealing from other things is how Jail House Lock!, Part 1 was on shelves one month after Memento opened in Japan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alas, not even Araki could make It Follows not absolutely fuckin' suck.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rohan is gonna be trapped in a tortoise for eternity

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Crazy Diamond Heartbreak.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/2b5d08c2-536c-46fe-aa01-d1551c61c2cc

Josuke ftmfw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Rohan is gonna be trapped in a tortoise for eternity

I feel like if anyone gets the polnareff treatment this time it's probably Joseph

Also, welcome! I have to wonder if pyf Joost got you reading the rest of jojo hehe

Unrelated: actual 🤔

https://twitter.com/JoJoVSBot/status/1637122214934765569

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hell yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doraaaararara

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/bsmygod/status/1635873366350364673?t=s5kMdEjhUS7B5g_pReCi4w&s=19

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Do you think that Jodio or anyone on his side of the family knows about what happened to Holly? It's been at least ten years since the events of JoJolion, Holly being in a coma with both her kids having died seems like a pretty big thing

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 20, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Also, welcome! I have to wonder if pyf Joost got you reading the rest of jojo hehe

thanks lol, i dropped out of jojolion very early on (bathtub arc?) because i first read jojo when steel ball run ended, and i keep forgetting the comic was still ongoing. jojolion felt like a lot of stuff getting dropped in favour of new, insane plot points and lore, which are all fascinating but i was more invested in how gappy was supposed to reconcile with his past and the mother of one of his past selves (which never came to fruition), but instead the third act was about protecting an orchard through murders. jojolands look very promising right now and i'm excited to see how many times the same cops get hosed up

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I've heard it said that Araki's writing process is such that he will gladly just drop an idea he was developing if he happens to come up with something that grabs him more, even if it seems to come out of nowhere and fucks up pre-established foreshadowing, under the logic of "why give the audience an idea I'm less interested in? If it's boring to write, it'll be boring to read."

I theorize that a monthly release schedule just gives him more time to get more weird ideas that derail the plot a bit. This was less a problem in SRB because it all had an obvious theme and throughline that keeps him on course. He went into it having cowboys, a cross country race, and at least the broad strokes of the villain, and ideas can be shuffled around that core and it all still feels cohesive. Jojolion, though? It's a Twin Peaks existential mystery he's making up as he goes along because he can't fall back on the Columbo method of giving away the mystery up front and just following how it gets revealed to the protagonist. So things got a bit... weird.

JojoLands might fare better, because at least so far it has a strong setting and premise: Hawaii and Crime Hoodlums. Maybe it'll all hold together better this time?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What exactly is the female cop doing after losing the drugs? Just standing in shock?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since Araki's playing the hits now, I hope there's 3 chapters of Diavolo appearing and ending in his death at the end before we get back to the regular story.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

thanks lol, i dropped out of jojolion very early on (bathtub arc?) because i first read jojo when steel ball run ended, and i keep forgetting the comic was still ongoing. jojolion felt like a lot of stuff getting dropped in favour of new, insane plot points and lore, which are all fascinating but i was more invested in how gappy was supposed to reconcile with his past and the mother of one of his past selves (which never came to fruition), but instead the third act was about protecting an orchard through murders. jojolands look very promising right now and i'm excited to see how many times the same cops get hosed up

oh yeah with the excitement of the final page reveal it's easy to forget that those were the exact same cops

like last time they tried loving with this guy they got rained on so hard that their eyeballs were falling out, why did they think this would go down differently

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*zizekishly* ideology

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

yeah the conclusion was pretty much gappy deciding he's his own person and he doesn't need to reconcile with kira or josefumi's pasts? but that was given very little focus so it felt pretty weird

steel ball run was pretty unusual in how structured and cohesive it is

lih fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 20, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twcuZPpdrI

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The great thing about Jojos is that also works for several other characters, including two characters that can actually control where their projectiles go.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The difference is Johnny has a stand that makes shooting walls and himself cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not everyone can have Jesus as a friend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not Mista's fault he was cursed to be the Polnareff of Vento Aureo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

zetamind2000 posted:

Do you think that Jodio or anyone on his side of the family knows about what happened to Holly? It's been at least ten years since the events of JoJolion, Holly being in a coma with both her kids having died seems like a pretty big thing

Meanwhile I'm like this *Jodio poses in front of their gravestones*

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was watching some Jojo videos and YouTube went on to recommend this video to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBJ6JfjV25E

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

how can the premise be true when diamond is unbreakable is fourth?

:thunk:

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

how can the premise be true when diamond is unbreakable is fourth?

:thunk:

Also Jojolion comes after Steel Ball Run, invalidating this hypothesis completely

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Apparently his argument is that certain aspects of the writing of Jojo got better with each part, not that each part gets better than the last.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would disagree with that, Venti Aureo was Araki's biggest fumble by a country mile and it sounds like Jojolion wasn't a ton better, whereas Stardust Crusaders is a simple but very competently executed adventure story (but also I'm not watching that video to disagree further lol)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbh i clock out when someone calls it jojos but i'm an elitist knobhead

anyway,
in what might not be news to most of you/any of you but was a very pleasant surprise for me today, i found two hardback english volumes of thus spoke kishibe rohan in my local nerd shop.

bought them up immediately, had no idea viz were doing them!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think part 7 feels the most complete start to finish, but I wonder how much getting off a weekly schedule helped for more long term planning.

Having the main character get an evolving stand and it being a country long trip helps too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looking at Jojolion, not much!!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bobjr posted:

I think part 7 feels the most complete start to finish, but I wonder how much getting off a weekly schedule helped for more long term planning.

Having the main character get an evolving stand and it being a country long trip helps too.

Just goes to show a long form road trip where the characters have to get from point a to point b and have alot of drama and adventures along the way is the perfect structural setup for a Jojo arc, it plays to all of Araki's strengths and minimises his weaknesses. Given Jojolion mimicked DiU less successfully I wonder if Jojolands is going to be a more freeform and less structured tour of Hawaii similar to how VA did for Italy?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love DiU, but not really for its central story - it's the characters and fights that really elevate it. The actual plot of part 4 is very aimless and a lot of it feels like it's just killing time until Araki decides they encounter whichever bad guy they're looking for. This doesn't feel like a huge problem in part 4 since the characters and setting are fairly relaxed, but it does lack the driving force momentum of most other parts. Part 6 seems to be the only part that is mostly set in a single location that still manages to maintain a pretty motivated plot, but even then a few of the encounters feel a bit "filler" ish in the sense that they don't really seem to move the story forward. I'm fine with these kind of fights, but they feel much more natural in road trip / travel style stories since it can just be "the gang gets to a new town / country / whatever, of course there's some new bad dude waiting for them."

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Just goes to show a long form road trip where the characters have to get from point a to point b and have alot of drama and adventures along the way is the perfect structural setup for a Jojo arc, it plays to all of Araki's strengths and minimises his weaknesses.
Vento Aureo would like to piss on your thesis.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
And then drink the piss from a teacup

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

No it was jellyfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

Vento Aureo would like to piss on your thesis.

If Araki wanted to do the sights of Italy he should have had it be an ongoing treasure hunt or something. Structuring the entire story as a series of fetch quests delivered out by NPC questgivers without any overriding purpose just makes the core of the story kinda hollow, nothing flows into the next thing and alot of the disgressions end up being pointless (like remember they have to go to Sardinia to find out Diavolo's identity, did that help *at all*?). There's still some cool fights and character scenes but because the grander plot they all tie into is just so filmsy it ends up being way less than the sum of its parts