Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jenkl posted:

The worst thing me or my wife can say to each other is "you are being an [POs name]". That's how you know someone is really mad.

I feel this curse in my aching knees.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Jenkl posted:

The worst thing me or my wife can say to each other is "you are being an [POs name]". That's how you know someone is really mad.

My wife would be pissed if I addressed her as the PO. loving Denise

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good news! The lack of drainage outside my house is because the last time the dirt road was resurfaced, they thoughtfully resurfaced well past the road border, covered the drainage pipe with gravel fill, and then compacted it. New pipe will be protected so that propane and other heavy trucks down the road can't compress it again. All i have to do is write the checks, ouch.

I am grateful that my landscaper is a conscientious sort who wouldn't start terracing a hill until he knew where he could drain the runoff into.

:3 take that victory!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Anza Borrego posted:

My wife would be pissed if I addressed her as the PO. loving Denise
We sold our last house to our nephew, so I lose sleep sometimes wondering if he's discovered some repair there and cursed my name. I swear, most of my repairs were solid, but *my* PO left a bunch of trash work in his wake.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jenkl posted:

Credit to Motronic for any PO being called Gary. There was a year gap between the foreclosure and us buying the house, so we don't really get much PO mail or anything to have a specific name to curse.

Technically we could say "loving Bank of America", but we said that plenty during the three months we tried to close on it five different times and had to punt to a later date because of their incompetence.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PO of my condo was an ostensibly extremely kind Japanese lady who passed away from cancer. I think I only got the place because my real estate agent mentioned during offers that it might be hard to get ahold of me because I was working in a hospital that day, or something similar. I'll never know but the sellers (her family) were extremely nice and even left a few hundred in gift cards for me when I moved in.

The only mail for her that I get makes it obvious that she donated quite a lot of her time and money to charities in my area. I left her handwritten 'No Flyers!' note in my mailbox and try to honor her and the circumstances of my home ownership where I can.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I own my home in part due to the wacky maintenance strategies of the previous owner. Thank you Jaafar, installing carpet in the kitchen glued to asbestos tile was a genius move.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I swear, most of my repairs were solid,

Ok Gary

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Found this channel, swede builds a house, not done yet but 10+ videos so far.
I think he is showcasing pretty normal swedish construction techniques here, though he is working on his own which naturally changes how some things are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0EczJu72w

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tezer posted:

I own my home in part due to the wacky maintenance strategies of the previous owner. Thank you Jaafar, installing carpet in the kitchen glued to asbestos tile was a genius move.

:stare:

:stare:

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
We just had our basement finished, and had permits pulled for it. I didn't deal with the actual permitting process since our contractor did that, but I was here when the inspections happened. Our township contracts out to a commercial entity for handling it, and they seemed to do a reasonable thorough look around? They were poking their head through all the rooms, measuring things, etc. Each inspector was probably here for 45 minutes or so.. other than the electric inspector who I'm pretty sure spent 30s going "yea there is definitely wires here" and then left.

My contractor mentioned that he actually likes it better when townships use the professional places to handle permits/inspections because those guys tend to actually know code. He hates when it's just some guy (tm) who is probably a failed or retired tradesman, because those guys tend to interpret the inspection process as "my chance to try and make you do things how I think they should be done, regardless of what code says".

All of the required inspections made sense I think? The only really weird one was the drywall screw inspection, which sounded silly to me but it was explained to me that the drywall ends up making up part of the fire safety system and if people roll in and drop 2 screws into a piece of drywall and call it a day then it's not doing it's job. I guess my contractor's seen that happen sometimes so he really likes that inspection in particular (though he likes it because he's seen people drop 2 screws into a ceiling sheet of drywall then had it come down a year later).

I think technically we don't pay for the first inspection, though I assume it's baked into the price of the initial permit. Permit fees for the basement were something like $900. I think if they fail the inspection and have to come out they charge you again, but our inspectors were pretty chill. The guy found a spot that was missing a metal plate over a pipe and just asked them to email him a picture once it was fixed rather than having to come back out.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My PO has my first name so my wife calls me it all the time. It's annoying.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Our PO was the town's chief of police. For a variety of reasons, I wish he was still alive so I could strangle him myself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Cool cool my neighbors red tagged gas meter is currently covered by a fumigation tent, one of two things the red tag demands you not do. The other being do not turn on. It's not weighed down yet so I assume they're going to move it to the other side but tbd.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nothing like hearing our plumber go “huh, I think the previous owner tried to repair this flange themselves.” The wild rear end fixes the previous owner did are all so landlordy I can’t help but laugh

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Last night I had a leak above my kitchen's drop ceiling and found the previous owner built his own P-trap for the upstairs bathtub drain out of scrap PVC, 90 degree elbows, and fermco couplings.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Cool cool my neighbors red tagged gas meter is currently covered by a fumigation tent, one of two things the red tag demands you not do. The other being do not turn on. It's not weighed down yet so I assume they're going to move it to the other side but tbd.

Yeah I'd be calling the gas company on them for that one. Snitches get stiches and all that but I'd rather not have houses nearby explode.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I'd be calling the gas company on them for that one. Snitches get stiches and all that but I'd rather not have houses nearby explode.

I went outside to check closer and they have moved it so the street side of the meter is all uncovered. Otherwise yeah they were going to get narc'd on.

Edit: and now that it's all clipped off it's completely uncovered. :toot:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 23, 2023

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Toebone posted:

Last night I had a leak above my kitchen's drop ceiling and found the previous owner built his own P-trap for the upstairs bathtub drain out of scrap PVC, 90 degree elbows, and fermco couplings.

In our old house the PO used a screw joint for the bathtub drain that cracked slowly overtime and leaked through the ceiling right above the kitchen sink. They also used liquid nails to glue faux mini tile pieces to a regular bathtub as a design choice or something. We ended up completely redoing that bathroom after we discovered the leak. They did a lot of dumb things. Luckily in our new house we haven’t found anything too dumb yet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

:thunk:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's impressive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KateRoseBee/status/1639384166755336192?s=20

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

A well that was filled in 80 years ago without any issues since doesn't even rank in the top 1,000 for poo poo previous generations have left behind for future home owners. It's not even deferred maintenance. It's just a thing that used to be there that was (for the time) properly removed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, so long as the water wouldn't be getting any higher that doesn't seem like too much of a problem does it?

The replies did have this though:

https://twitter.com/theWitch_Kid/status/1639683519793315840?t=8TTZ26TpKgXVtM7t4RmqFA&s=19

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Welp. I bought a Samsung induction stove and something is wrong with the internal electronics cooling fan, from day one it makes a weedwhacker POP-POP-POP any time any the oven or stove top is active. It's clearly hitting something or is somehow unbalanced but I have no idea how to get to it or fix it, and I wasn't able to find any descriptions of how to do so. It's not just loud, it's staccato, so it's very annoying.

Guess it'll be a return. Should have paid attention to the "Do not buy Samsung appliances" warnings. A shame because if it wasn't so noisy it'd be a nice stove I think, the controls are nice and the induction cooking is powerful.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah just get something else. Don't even bother fixing it because this is why you shouldn't buy Samsung.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was looking at induction ranges and am probably going to end up getting a GE Cafe. it is a shame that the Samsung ranges are such poo poo because they are pretty much everything I'd want except for the whole "made by Samsung" thing.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Costco has the GE Cafes, so that's what I'll go with too I guess. They're backordered a few weeks but I guess that's inevitable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mind if I ask how much they are wanting for the double oven model and what the back order wait is?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Mind if I ask how much they are wanting for the double oven model and what the back order wait is?

$3999, backordered until April 17th.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Can you all help me think through everything I should do for a house that won’t be occupied for a bit? My mom is terminal in the hospital and won’t be returning to her house, and then I will inherit it. I’m sure it’s not that complicated but I don’t trust my mental capabilities all the way right now to not forget something dumb. We’re in the Bay Area so no worries about freezing temperatures or severe weather (not in a particularly flood prone spot and she has a sump pump that I know is working). My house is only 20 minutes away so going by the place isn’t too hard, and her neighbor is also looking out.

So far I can think of: set the thermostat lower (60? 55?), have the mail stopped or forwarded to me, clear out the fridge.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shut the water off at the main if you can and I'd probably also consider putting some light timers on a couple living room lamps to make it look like somebody is still home.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cut the water off at the main is the big one. Be sure to turn off the water heater as well.

Also consider getting Informed Delivery set up with your email. The USPS will send you pictures of the front of all incoming mail (the sorting machines capture images) which is handy to spot when a bill or check is coming long before it makes it to wherever you have forwarding set up.

Finally the "Premium Forwarding Service" from the USPS is handy because it forwards everything that would normally go into the mailbox, including stuff labeled "Do not forward" or "return service requested" (which a decent amount of important bank stuff is marked with). It is more akin to boxing up the mailbox once a week and sending it on.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

Mine just arrived 2 weeks ago and I ordered it in November. Seems nice so far.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Mine just arrived 2 weeks ago and I ordered it in November. Seems nice so far.

How intrusive is the “smart”/app aspect?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Muir posted:

Can you all help me think through everything I should do for a house that won’t be occupied for a bit? My mom is terminal in the hospital and won’t be My house is only 20 minutes away so going by the place isn’t too hard, and her neighbor is also looking out.

So far I can think of: set the thermostat lower (60? 55?), have the mail stopped or forwarded to me, clear out the fridge.
Once you have emptied and defrosted the refrigerator, be sure to wedge the door open; otherwise you can get mold in the interior. Ask me how I know. :(

Bear in mind that her insurance company won't insure an unoccupied premise forever. I don't know what you do about that. Definitely buy a Nest or equivalent. When I was a child, my parents set up timers on the living room and bedroom lights so that they would go on in the evening for a couple of hours; I have no idea if this actually helps, since thieves are usually watching for cars coming into and out of the driveway.

I am very sorry about your impending loss. It is dreadful having to deal with practicalities in the middle of grief.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Muir posted:

We’re in the Bay Area so no worries about freezing temperatures or severe weather (not in a particularly flood prone spot and she has a sump pump that I know is working).

If the sump runs regularly then you need to check it regularly as well. If it's an unfinished basement then that's as easy as stopping by once a week and making sure anything in contact with the ground can get wet. (plastic totes, shelving, you get the idea.) If it's finished then you might want to see if there is an alarm you can rig up or pay some neighbor kid to stop by daily and text you a picture of themselves looking painfully bored in the basement or something.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

korora posted:

How intrusive is the “smart”/app aspect?

Minimal. Thankfully, there's no feature lock like whatever stove was mentioned a few pages back. Other than a "wifi" line in the option menu that will never be touched it seems almost non-existent.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Once you have emptied and defrosted the refrigerator, be sure to wedge the door open; otherwise you can get mold in the interior. Ask me how I know. :(

When I first moved into this apartment I remember opening the freezer door of the fridge, saw that there was no light and that the fridge had no power... and then I leaned in and took a nice big whiff.

That was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja one of the first lessons we adjusters learn when going in to a house with no power after a loss - sometimes several days after - is to never, ever open a fridge or freezer.

The demo folks usually duct-tape them closed & haul them off.