Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah if kaido didnt actually want the thrill of a real fight luffy would have lost instantly

somewhat ironic that going up against kaido was the best thing luffy could have done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
people are getting their rear end kicked or captured all over the place. we really are in end game territory

we also don't know what Shanks wanted when he showed up to chat with the Elder Stars. like what's his actual endgame rn. he's tailing Blackbeard so he'll get caught up with Garp and the Revolutionaries. tho he's never been shown to be on either of their sides

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Luffy used the opportunity fighting Kaido to grow and get Gear 5, which put him on an even playing field. Kidd and Law just kind of... kept plugging away at Big Mom? As a duo. Not really equivalent. Luffy had help, but it was mostly just stalling while he recovered.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

ouch that dorry and broggy hit is brutal

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

First Blackbeard traveled to the Calm Belt to attack Amazon Lily, then he zoomed across the world to head off Law. Now he's chilling by Egghead. He's really hauling rear end. I guess rafts are the superior craft after all

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I get the feeling like Oda really liked Kidd from a design/character standpoint but just couldn't figure out on how to use him. Like, his backstory gets explained only in supplemental material, gets chumped off panel by Kaido and isn't seen again for hundreds of chapters, his big shining moment taking down an Emporer has to be shared with Law, and then is chumped again almost immediately after to just to show how incredibly top tier Shanks.

Compare that to say Law, who the manga slowed to a stop several times to show how cool/powerful he is, gave him a long in depth backstory with the greatest flashback character of all time. Hell I feel like even secondary Supernovas like Bege and Drake got to exit the story with more dignity.

RIP to you Kidd. I knew this was inevitable, but I was starting to come around to you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think kidd will stick around and have a Moment, but the law/kidd thing is a narrative excuse to get blackbeard and shanks all of the poneglyphs they need

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I get the feeling like Oda really liked Kidd from a design/character standpoint but just couldn't figure out on how to use him. Like, his backstory gets explained only in supplemental material, gets chumped off panel by Kaido and isn't seen again for hundreds of chapters, his big shining moment taking down an Emporer has to be shared with Law, and then is chumped again almost immediately after to just to show how incredibly top tier Shanks.

Compare that to say Law, who the manga slowed to a stop several times to show how cool/powerful he is, gave him a long in depth backstory with the greatest flashback character of all time. Hell I feel like even secondary Supernovas like Bege and Drake got to exit the story with more dignity.

RIP to you Kidd. I knew this was inevitable, but I was starting to come around to you.

Yeah he kinda got it both ways. Still made out better than hawkins tho.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yo, a surprise kind-of-okay early speed scan? Let's gooo.

Oh gently caress, Blackbeard???

Makes sense that Shanks can use advanced Kenbunshoku, then realizes Kid is not loving around and immediately neutralizes him. He cares about his crew and his allies.

Then the follow-up combo attack from Dorry and Broggy, holy poo poo! :eyepop:

BREAK??? NOOOOO

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kid hosed up and immediately went for his big gun forcing Shanks to immediately go and crush him due to the massive risk he posed to his allies/Eblaf itself.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

hey at least the attack Kid *almost* did seemed pretty strong. A few crumbs for the kid fans

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Trying to remember if this was the case but can't find the chapter, were Kid's and Law's bounties artificially inflated to make Luffy seem less of a big deal in light of his Mythical Zoan/actions in Wano?

If so then yeah the pair were super of our their leagues trying to 1-on-1 Emperors, even before you consider it taking like 20+ people to take down Kaido and Big Mom.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The first thing we ever learn about Kidd is that his bounty was as high as it was at the time because he had no qualms about hurting civilians - guess we know how that turned out for him.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Trying to remember if this was the case but can't find the chapter, were Kid's and Law's bounties artificially inflated to make Luffy seem less of a big deal in light of his Mythical Zoan/actions in Wano?

I feel like every time people mistake Bounties for Power Levels, Oda should put out another chapter with Buggy.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 22, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bleck posted:

I feel like every time people mistake Bounties for Power Levels, Oda should put out another chapter with Buggy.

Buggy should have defeated Kidd

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, Blackbeard at Egghead!?

Random prediction based on nothing- Blackbeard gets Lilith to translate poneglyphs for him, Shanks gets Saul, Law escapes with Pudding, and of course the Strawhats have Nico Robin. Kidd appears to be out of the running at this point. Not sure how Buggy will end up at Raftel.

I know I was saying before that narratively I can't see how Kidd doesn't get some sort of win here but... this actually makes perfect narrative sense now that it's happened. The key part is Blackbeard showing up at Egghead. Luffy and Kidd are shown to be rivals on generally the same level. Kidd had a higher bounty in Sabaody, and even though he needed help he also took out an Emperor at Wano. And he got absolutely destroyed by Shanks. Being able to barely eke out a win against an Emperor is not the same as being on an Emperor's level. That's what this chapter was saying in gruesome two page spreads of destruction.

And this chapter is also saying the last Emperor has shown up where Luffy is. It's a perfect way of building tension. If Shanks did this to Kidd, what is Blackbeard going do?

I mean, he'll probably kill Kizaru and kidnap Saturn.

I don't imagine this is the last we've seen of Kidd, but this is probably him out of the running for the race to Laugh Tale.

Starsfan posted:

I'm more going off of this chapter where she apparently claims that the World Government betrayed her which appears on surface level to contradict the text from the previous chapter, but on reflection it could be a situation where she feels like she was betrayed because of delusional assumptions she made over how events would transpire and not some sort of formal agreement she had with them.
I really wish people wouldn't just make poo poo up and get mad at it. She thinks its somewhat troublesome that her plan to get Vegapunk killed by the government is also going to get the government to try to kill her. That's all. There is absolutely no implication that she's been betrayed, and every implication that she hasn't made a deal at all, or maybe made one anonymously.

If this betrayal idea really came from the early spoilers it just emphasizes what a good idea it is to keep them out of this thread so we rarely have to deal with this kind of nonsense.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

Was just asking if this was said in a specific chapter or if I was miss-remembering, aware about bounties don't equal power levels,

more Buggy content is always appreciated however :)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

We need CP0 to measure everyone's doriki again during this arc. You know for the sake of shitposting.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I dont know why but I'm getting a hunch it's Kuzan on that Blackbeard ship

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Eiba posted:

Random prediction based on nothing- Blackbeard gets Lilith to translate poneglyphs for him
York feels like a better match given *waves hands* everything. I wonder if he's even going to end up snagging a seraphim...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pretty funny that Urouge is the one Supernova that hasn't appeared at all in the last like 6 or 7 years and he hadn't done anything even before then. Everyone else had a pretty good run, and Bonney's getting her time in.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Wait a minute is the Egghead Incident going to be Blackbeard kidnapping an Elder Star?! :eyepop:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

York feels like a better match given *waves hands* everything. I wonder if he's even going to end up snagging a seraphim...
Sure, but York has other plans that don't involve going on an adventure. Her goal is to just eat and poo poo with the best of them without worrying about anything else.

There's a bunch of cool Vegapunks who aren't dead yet, and I feel like if Lilith is going to be relevant to the story going forward, she'd be into the way Blackbeard does things.

Can Of Worms posted:

Wait a minute is the Egghead Incident going to be Blackbeard kidnapping an Elder Star?! :eyepop:
Absolutely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It occurs to me that if this is a repeat of Ohara then the Blackbeard ship might be Kuzan/Aokiji. Except this time he’ll be helping people escape and fighting the marines. Imagine Aokiji vs Kizaru

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

rip kid we somewhat knew ye

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This does kind of beg the question why doesnt imu just glass this place. And I think there is an actual answer we just dont know what it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's probably something on the island that he needs to still exist.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also probably one thing to wipe egghead & vegapunk from everything, as opposed to Random Island that sabo was on.

At least with an assassination you can spin it in all kinds of different ways.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Luffy used the opportunity fighting Kaido to grow and get Gear 5, which put him on an even playing field. Kidd and Law just kind of... kept plugging away at Big Mom? As a duo. Not really equivalent. Luffy had help, but it was mostly just stalling while he recovered.

Nah, Law Awakened his fruit and came up with new attacks during his fight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Waffleman_ posted:

im also thinking there may be some sort of time lag between Imu glassing poo poo. He did just destroy another island the day before all this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Law's fruit came pre-awakened out of the box, I won't really believe otherwise.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Whatever they use to make Green Blood for the Seraphim. Egghead is full of useful tech that the WG can use to keep their dominance, no way they will just level it before plundering the place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I was gonna say, all the seraphim are there! They just violently retired all the Warlords solely because they had a replacement system for when they need monstrously powerful individuals.

And presumably they'll need to make more eventually.

All that is to say, reducing Egghead to ash is probably a last resort. But I imagine Imu has his finger on the trigger in the worst case.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
TCB Version is out https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5679/one-piece-chapter-1079

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would be hype as poo poo if they can somehow counter or block the doom ray. Easy way to reveal it too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blooming Brilliant posted:

That was a common theory among the fan community since "why would luffy, who was declared Yonkou and has the Nika Devil Fruit, be on the same tier as Law and Kidd?" But nothing was ever confirmed in the story or by Oda with regards to this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Monday/Tuesday spoilers aren't worth talking about because they are often misleading or outright wrong. And now with speedscans we might as well wait til Wednesday so we can at least have a couple days of real chapter talk (which I enjoy).

One Piece is a visual medium so to me it only makes sense to discuss things when we actually have a picture of it.

Yeah, talking about text-only spoilers is a sucker's game since the people signal boosting them always make them sound bigger than they are

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dorry and Brogy delivering that kill blow is my favourite thing about this. Feels like a total "end of innocence" type chapter that is starting to bring us back to the Shanks character that was hinted at in Chapter 1. I love it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rereading it and Shanks is goddamn merciless lol. Not a single word said to Kidd or his crew, he just crushed them for their foolish attempt on his friends' lives

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shanks is big into "gently caress around and find out." Kid hosed around, he found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Kidd try to get an alliance together to take on Shanks before they turned traitor on him?