Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber's spring sale starts March 30

waiting on face/off, night of the hunter, and caligari all may or TBD :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, so this new Criterion release of Inland Empire is a Blu-Ray, not UHD? Despite being a 4K restoration? I'm looking on the official Criterion site and there's no mention of a UHD, which seems odd to me since Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway both got UHD releases from Criterion.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The movie was mostly shot in standard definition digital video. A 4K really wouldn't offer any real benefit since there's no additional detail to get. I doubt HDR would do much either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cemetry Gator posted:

The movie was mostly shot in standard definition digital video. A 4K really wouldn't offer any real benefit since there's no additional detail to get. I doubt HDR would do much either.
It was shot in standard def, yeah, but it went through a wild 4K restoration process that made it look a lot better. I saw the restoration in theaters last year and it did not look like standard def anymore.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I believe they initially announced a UHD and then canceled it. Am I crazy?

Looks like Blu-Ray.com may just have mislabeled their entry: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Inland-Empire-4K-Blu-ray/315093/#News

The announcement doesn't call out a UHD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought they did something crazy like SD -> UHD -> HD. Supposedly Lynch liked the resulting effect

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

It's either buy now at $47 or wait until it goes out of stock and lists on eBay for $94.

Christ, today is not a good day for my credit card.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, when did Criterion get Cooley High? I love that movie.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It's either buy now at $47 or wait until it goes out of stock and lists on eBay for $94.

The a24 collector's editions don't seem to be limited. You can still buy all of them though they did raise the price point to $47

cc flash sale got me, ordered baron 4k and colors 4k

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 21, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Just :lol: if your credit cards aren't maxed out

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My local Best Buy has had a pretty dramatic turnaround in the past few months when it comes to physical media. They now get almost every single Shout Factory and Criterion release, plus sometimes they get some Arrow stuff too. Overall the volume of the physical media section hasn't grown, but they're stocking more stuff that I'm interested in rather than just filling up the shelves with 100 copies of Spiderman or whatever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
B&N still does their 50% off Criterion sale once a year, right? The amount to unlock free shipping on Criterion’s site is pretty high.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

B&N still does their 50% off Criterion sale once a year, right? The amount to unlock free shipping on Criterion’s site is pretty high.

Twice a year. Last year it was July and November, I think?

The site says $75 or more for free shipping, but it gave me free shipping at around $60. If you use discount codes, I think those still count towards your "total", so you can qualify for free shipping still.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 22, 2023

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I also got the free shipping during Criterion’s flash sale at around $60 which surprised me

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That wasn’t kicking in for me and I was at like $73

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I did not buy anything during the Criterion sale.

now pray for me, VinSyn starts Friday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
From Beyond 4k was my first Vinegar Syndrome purchase.

What's the rundown on how they handle their sales? Is it a flat 50% off like Criterion does? Is it only on select titles? I was extremely impressed with that From Beyond release and I'd be into buying more from them but probably not at full price in most cases.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's a pretty good sale price you get stuff for. Only things excluded are usually the Partner titles since those have their own sale later on in the year, but otherwise everything besides the newly announced releases get the sale. So definitely like make a list now of what you want because they'll pull the site down tomorrow to get it ready for the onslaught (tho its gotten better than it was in the past, website wise) of purchases and then the wait for your shipping notification starts. Usually takes a week+ depending on how close you are to their main hub.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

From Beyond 4k was my first Vinegar Syndrome purchase.

What's the rundown on how they handle their sales? Is it a flat 50% off like Criterion does? Is it only on select titles? I was extremely impressed with that From Beyond release and I'd be into buying more from them but probably not at full price in most cases.

That was the first one I’ve ever bought from them not on sale. It stung a bit but I really wanted to screen it for my weekly movie night crew and I don’t regret it considering how quickly it sold out. I don’t think it ever even hit a sale before selling out

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It's not consistent but more like $5-10 off everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

That was the first one I’ve ever bought from them not on sale. It stung a bit but I really wanted to screen it for my weekly movie night crew and I don’t regret it considering how quickly it sold out. I don’t think it ever even hit a sale before selling out

I'm not usually one to obsess over slip covers but the From Beyond slipcover is so nice. I was running my finger up and down the lettering on the spine like it was Barbara Crampton and I was Dr. Pretorious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
VS also has a function on the site that lets you add titles to a Want or Have list, which is convenient during sales.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not usually one to obsess over slip covers but the From Beyond slipcover is so nice. I was running my finger up and down the lettering on the spine like it was Barbara Crampton and I was Dr. Pretorious.

I felt this way about dead heat.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Cloak & Dagger and Roadhouse sets are so insanely nice for the movies that they are.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol yeah the Roadhouse one is super extra, but I like it. VS always goes overboard on their outer packaging. That TCM2 box and slipcover are choice.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Wait, so this new Criterion release of Inland Empire is a Blu-Ray, not UHD? Despite being a 4K restoration? I'm looking on the official Criterion site and there's no mention of a UHD, which seems odd to me since Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway both got UHD releases from Criterion.

It's 4K for DCP purposes, but I can't fathom a single reason why a UHD would make sense. Even expanded color space and HDR probably mean nothing for something shot on MiniDV. However, Blu-ray makes total sense between it allowing for a vastly better encode and the fact the new restoration is probably the best I've ever seen a MiniDV origin film look. They probably also acknowledge how unlikely the UHD would sell well despite it being Lynch

For that matter, Wall-E is the only UHD they've released out of 36 that was upscaled rather than native 4K.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Just to clarify, the event on Friday is NOT a sale. This is just a pre-sale event for the next VSU title and the other Halfway to Black Friday title. Three of the titles will be revealed and the other two will be a mystery until the sale. The actual sale should happen around Memorial Day weekend in late May. These titles should be discounted, but nothing else will be on sale.

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

It's less than two days until the 2023 Halfway to Black Friday Flash Pre-Order goes live, this Friday the 24th at 12:01 AM EST, running through 11:59 PM EST on Sunday the 26th! Only at VinegarSyndrome.com!
The moment the Pre-Order goes live, you'll be able to feast your eyes on Three of our Five spectacular May VS releases, among them world UHD and US BD debuts of two 80s horror classics, plus our next Euro-horror themed box set! On top of that, we'll be revealing quite possibly our biggest VSU to date!
Plus, as always, we'll be providing the first hints towards this year's selection of Halfway Sale Surprise Titles which, in keeping with tradition, are likely to be the most unexpected, exciting, and just plain weirdest releases of the event and in the case of these two particularly, have been the result of years worth of trying to find and secure the rights...
In order to prepare for the Flash Pre-Order option that best suits your proclivities, we will be offering the following three choices:
1. Everything!: VSU + the three announced titles + the two Secret Titles
2. VSU only: just the new VSU
3. Secret Titles only: just the two Secret Titles
Remember, by Pre-Ordering this weekend you'll be able to access the exclusive Pre-Order discounts compared to purchasing any of the same titles during our upcoming Halfway To Black Friday Sale in May. Plus, Flash Pre-Orders are first to ship, after our Subscribers, following the Halfway to Black Friday Sale (May 26th-29th).
See you on Friday!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

For that matter, Wall-E is the only UHD they've released out of 36 that was upscaled rather than native 4K.

I wonder if they even have the elements available to make it native 4K. I would kill for that, just a 1:1 4K “print” of Wall-E. I think it’s probably Pixar’s overall best. Those first 30 minutes are pretty special.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Boywhiz88 posted:

I wonder if they even have the elements available to make it native 4K. I would kill for that, just a 1:1 4K “print” of Wall-E. I think it’s probably Pixar’s overall best. Those first 30 minutes are pretty special.

I really doubt it, for whatever reason 2k was the standard for outputting computer animation until 201X.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's 4K for DCP purposes, but I can't fathom a single reason why a UHD would make sense. Even expanded color space and HDR probably mean nothing for something shot on MiniDV. However, Blu-ray makes total sense between it allowing for a vastly better encode and the fact the new restoration is probably the best I've ever seen a MiniDV origin film look. They probably also acknowledge how unlikely the UHD would sell well despite it being Lynch

Given the limitations of INLAND’s source material, even with the Lynch-approved machine learning upsampling/reconstruction applied to bring detail into the MiniDV footage, I really don’t even know if I’m missing out on much with my European import Blu predating the restoration. Have there been comparisons posted online?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I crazy for thinking Pixar re-rendered ToyStory to be in high definition?

Because they should do that for Wall-E

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

FilthyImp posted:

Am I crazy for thinking Pixar re-rendered ToyStory to be in high definition?

Because they should do that for Wall-E

They did - the original Toy Story was rendered at a resolution somewhere in the neighborhood of 720p, which was staggering in 1995 but whose limits were thrown into stark relief on Blu-ray. There’s at least one really interesting write-up detailing their process, but the gist of it was that they had to take the original Toy Story data and projects and import them into a newer but still behind the curve version of RenderMan, then backported newer functionality to it and re-rendered the original scenes and assets on their current server farm. You can still see some jaggy aliasing at the edges of Rex’s scales, which are literally the limits of detail and precision in those source assets, but the improvement is huge.

WALL-E would probably be a less dramatic undertaking to make current. Thing is, I really don’t know how much extra detail would be extracted in each scene by taking the original assets and quadrupling the render resolution. Improvements would likely be marginal if they could be noticed at all, unless you were watching on a gently caress-off gigantic screen or theater. It would be like re-compositing all of THE LORD OF THE RINGS at 4K versus the upsampled 2K we have.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Liar Lyre posted:

Just to clarify, the event on Friday is NOT a sale. This is just a pre-sale event for the next VSU title and the other Halfway to Black Friday title. Three of the titles will be revealed and the other two will be a mystery until the sale. The actual sale should happen around Memorial Day weekend in late May. These titles should be discounted, but nothing else will be on sale.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
David Lynch drew a flowchart to help answer goons questions about the INLAND EMPIRE restoration:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough I had the same camera used for Inland Empire and have run some of the clips through Topaz AI and can totally see why this was the process. It’s really very good at what it does, the input/output differences are quite ridiculous. I just don’t really have the hardware for it, it’s slow as hell on my regular Mac.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

David Lynch drew a flowchart to help answer goons questions about the INLAND EMPIRE restoration:

should have just done it on iPhone instead of wasting all this time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

should have just done it on iPhone instead of wasting all this time
It would be such a sadness if he'd done it on his loving telephone

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If anybody wants another copy of Maximum Overdrive

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1638916379238645762

Iron Crowned