Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaGeezer007/status/1638075124560670722

this kind of take comes up a lot and it's really irritating because you generally still need all of your extremities, plus your neck, plus your mental faculties, to be able to drive

it's not like anyone with a broken [right] ankle or is too senile to ride a bike is going to be able to drive a car, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

this kind of take comes up a lot and it's really irritating because you generally still need all of your extremities, plus your neck, plus your mental faculties, to be able to drive

it's not like anyone with a broken [right] ankle or is too senile to ride a bike is going to be able to drive a car, either

it's just a benign observation about the energy requirements to transport one person.

also @DeGeezer007 seems to be an exclusively, suspiciously ant-cyclist account

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

I'm in Kyoto, and they were doing some construction work on the sidewalk, so they closed off a plane is traffic so people could walk around:

Prioritizing pedestrians. Small, efficient, and utilitarian trucks. City works employees masking in public. Better things are possible.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idk how it is in DC but every state I’ve ever lived in has points for moving violations and if you rack up too many in a certain period (in Oregon I think they drop off after three years) they suspend your license

I've heard of that but KS doesn't have it. In fact you can pay $20 at the courthouse to get your ticket knocked down to a lesser charge lol. I had an illegal left turn reduced to a non-moving violation when the lady at the window said I could do that

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

spaces that prioritize bikes and pedestrians are safer for people in wheelchairs. would someone in a wheelchair rather cross 6 lanes of stroad traffic? Or would they rather cross where the road crossing comes up to meet the sidewalk height and there are ample traffic slowing mechanisms

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

I'm in Kyoto, and they were doing some construction work on the sidewalk, so they closed off a plane is traffic so people could walk around:

I want to go to there

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/carlton1512/status/1638217321217925136

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Idk how it is in DC but every state I’ve ever lived in has points for moving violations and if you rack up too many in a certain period (in Oregon I think they drop off after three years) they suspend your license
If they're automated speeding tickets at least, nothing might happen but I can't remember

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're making two mistakes here:
-Trying to understand a concern troll. They don't actually give a poo poo about disabled people.
-Asuming being senile will stop somebody from driving.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
It's killing me that of all the scenarios he could dream up for his defense of trucking, he picks the one that can literally walk itself to its destination.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SimonSays posted:

It's killing me that of all the scenarios he could dream up for his defense of trucking, he picks the one that can literally walk itself to its destination.

Wait, do you think they slaughter the cattle at the butcher shop?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wait, do you think they slaughter the cattle at the butcher shop?

I do not but slaughterhouses famously used to be right in cities.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it’s fat-phobic and rude to refer to the average american as “a few hundred beef carcasses“

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

real "30 - 50 feral hogs" energy there

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Í will defend lorries for delivery to stores, it's one of the few use cases where I can't figure out a better solution. Cattle cars for trains are definitely better if you have the slaughterhouse away from the farm though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Lorries aren't the problem, the problem is the people who use the existence of lorries as an excuse to buy a huge truck that will never carry anything heavier than a pizza.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lorries absolutely are the a problem when they are being used for transcontinental bulk goods transport.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Too fuckin big to park properly because the driver can't see the meter, so he just left the rear end end hanging out into the through lane. Those things are $60K+ plus and useless as gently caress.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Too fuckin big to park properly because the driver can't see the meter, so he just left the rear end end hanging out into the through lane. Those things are $60K+ plus and useless as gently caress.

I like how it is so clean except for the sploosh on the rear.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

CopperHound posted:

I like how it is so clean except for the sploosh on the rear.

that’s someone’s latte 100%

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Lorries absolutely are the a problem when they are being used for transcontinental bulk goods transport.

Definitely agreed, bulk transport to storage or distribution hubs is a train job. Or, y'know, maybe stop hauling poo poo across continents and produce locally. And also consume less

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Your younger more caustic, sarcastic and unhinged John Oliver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayw3TOhykg

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I actually thought these might have a shot at being a small-ish truck but then I saw one in person. Much bigger than you'd think.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm at my company's other office, where I park in a ramp. There are 2 trucks that are obnoxiously parked in two spaces each. Just so loving RUDE and if your car is too big to park into a spot, you shouldn't be driving it! It shouldn't exist! Argleblargle!!!!

Both big and expensive, both probably never used to haul a loving thing.

I really want to do a gimmick TikTok/IG channel where you just interview truck owners in parking lots. Really talk them up "oh sweet, how many HP under the hood?" "Oh drat, a HEMI!?" And then wrap with "So what are you hauling?" I think so many people would short-circuit if you went down that avenue.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

60k is probably just the dealer markup.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm at my company's other office, where I park in a ramp. There are 2 trucks that are obnoxiously parked in two spaces each. Just so loving RUDE and if your car is too big to park into a spot, you shouldn't be driving it! It shouldn't exist! Argleblargle!!!!

Both big and expensive, both probably never used to haul a loving thing.

I really want to do a gimmick TikTok/IG channel where you just interview truck owners in parking lots. Really talk them up "oh sweet, how many HP under the hood?" "Oh drat, a HEMI!?" And then wrap with "So what are you hauling?" I think so many people would short-circuit if you went down that avenue.

expect it to play out like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QyCifgL4g

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol americans are loving psychotic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The actual downtown is a gem but the roads and the god-benighted suburbs are a horrorshow. God I hate the metro area

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

The actual downtown is a gem but the roads and the god-benighted suburbs are a horrorshow. God I hate the metro area

I am so thankful that the bones of Gwinnett Place have been revived by the Korean community, because it's probably the only good thing in the whole metro area.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Me heading north on 85: God I hate driving through Atlanta. Maybe if I just go around the city...

Me heading north on 285: :cripes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

6 workers killed in baltimore when highway traveler entered work zone

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
drivers entirely ignore work zone speed limits normally in the Washington and blast through at a 100 next to a construction worker. cops are busy beating up a homeless person to enforce anything

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

6 workers carless individuals werekilled fatally involved in a kinetic incident in baltimore when highway traveler citizen entered exercised their lawful right to access a work zone

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roadway was departed by car, workers fatally struck, no way to tell if these events were related.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
cars are cool

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are cool

when hell has frozen over

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

god dammit that loving guy is back!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had to drive today, to get my gaming rig from the repair shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

folks just drive without a license these days. hell, plenty of cars don't even have license plates anymore.