Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Kidd really is incapable of learning a single lesson.

It is very poetic and narratively satisfying, for me, that Kidd's lack of mercy and his tendency to attack indiscriminately at people who are no threat to him is what did him. He escalated and that forced Shanks' hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This chapter:

https://www.iasip.app/Lraww-H7oUiRFZlObgzA3A

E:

Now I'm imagining a barely-alive Kid begging Luffy not to face Shanks or else he will kill them all, only to do a massive Enel face when he sees them hug it out and throw a huge party instead.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 23, 2023

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Kidd's crew gave up so easily after Kidd and Killer got taken out, compare that to how the Straw Hats kept fighting even after they heard that Kaido had taken Luffy out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo that chapter.

ThingOne posted:

I love that Shanks' fleet is just a bunch of weirdos he decided he liked.

:same:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Kidd's crew gave up so easily after Kidd and Killer got taken out, compare that to how the Straw Hats kept fighting even after they heard that Kaido had taken Luffy out.

There is a huge difference between 'getting told that your captain lost by the enemy leader after a prolonged battle' and 'watching your leader get curbstomped in 1 hit in front of you'.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The more I think about this, the more I like how Luffy is willing to ally himself with people that aren't just paragons of moral purity. Robin was a former assassin who basically tried to kill them, Franky and family beat up a defenseless usopp, Bege was a literal Mafia Don who wanted to shove a rocket down Big Mom's throat and is shown doing all kinds of shady poo poo, and as previously mentioned Kidd had no qualms about innocent bystanders, collateral damage, or attacking the weak and defenseless for personal gain.

It's still kinda sad he ended up such a jobber, but it further put into my head the truth that Kidd is not a 'good guy' just because he teamed up with Luffy for a while. It makes Luffy and the strawhats feel much more like proper pirates and not typical Shonen squads of perfect goodness.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Luffy: Managed to beat an Emperor (granted he needed a lot of help and like 3 power ups but he did it)
Law: Is trading blows with another Emperor even if he ultimately loses.
Kidd: lol, lmao

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also someone pointed this out at Mangahelpers:

The grandpa pirates don't have teeth on their jolly roger. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also someone pointed this out at Mangahelpers:

The grandpa pirates don't have teeth on their jolly roger. :allears:

God I love One Piece so much.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Kaido: Strawhat Luffy is dead, I killed him! He's dead! Now you must quake in terror and beg me for mercy! All hope is lost!
Straw Hats: https://i.imgur.com/rZ7POrS.mp4

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Eeepies posted:

There is a huge difference between 'getting told that your captain lost by the enemy leader after a prolonged battle' and 'watching your leader get curbstomped in 1 hit in front of you'.

I dunno, I kind of feel like the strawhats could see Luffy be stabbed straight through the heart and still be sure he'd find some bullshit way back.

I feel like I could say this most weeks but, christ, what a chapter.

One Piece... is good.

The only important spoiler... Break Next Week.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i only read the speed translation but I kinda got the impression they folded so fast specifically because they were afraid Kidd/Killer would be killed and not out of self-preservation.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

eat poo poo, kidd! You sucked. Rest in piss. I can't be the only one glad he got his murderous poo poo kicked in

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe if we actually saw him kill anyone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Last Celebration posted:

i only read the speed translation but I kinda got the impression they folded so fast specifically because they were afraid Kidd/Killer would be killed and not out of self-preservation.

Yeah, I took it as a desperate attempt to get Shanks to spare Kidd/Killer, the very opposite of abandoning their captain and vice captain. In a "You win, we'll give you what you want, just let these two go." kinda away.

It just didn't work out cause Doggy and Broggy were understandably unhappy about Kidd aiming a massive railgun at their island.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shanks being chill with Luffy would be fine but sorry I neeeeed to see Luffy do something that will bring out the ice cold gangster in Shanks

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Eiba posted:

Holy poo poo, Blackbeard at Egghead!?

Unfortunately it's probably not Blackbeard himself. We saw him in battle against Law just a few hours ago. More likely this is another of the BB Pirates' ships, containing some of their forces who weren't at the other fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's this ol' chestnut

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No Wave posted:

This page is so good when bookended with the latest chappy. Wonder if Oda always intended to have Kid be a sacrificial lamb.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Shanks being chill with Luffy would be fine but sorry I neeeeed to see Luffy do something that will bring out the ice cold gangster in Shanks

one of Luffy’s followers did gently caress up a province Shanks took under his wing, yeah it’s something Luffy would never do/condone but it was done in his name!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No Wave posted:

Frankly the fact that he crucified all these folks with ropes instead of scrap metal or something shows he ain't as hardcore as he wants to be.

Coulda just impaled them to the posts even.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Holy crap, what a chapter.
I did not expect Kidd to get his rear end kicked like that but I love it.

As a lot of people have pointed out, Kidd getting stomped by Shanks after beating Big Mom not only shows how much help he had back then and how much Law did in that fight, to me it also shows that Shanks is an upper tier emperor. They're obviously not all the same.

Big Mom was explicitly scary because she had a massive network of spies, assassins and a bunch of strong commanders on her crew, Whitebeard had an armada, Kaidou had a nation and an army and Shanks has like ten friends and 40 ships of defenseless old people, him getting the title is a lot more about individul strength than Big Mom.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

It's cool to see how terrifyingly powerful the captains of the Giant Warrior Pirates are. I feel like normally when giants show up, they end up as jobbers to show off the power of human characters. It's nice to be reminded that there is a reason Elbaf has a reputation as a military powerhouse

It's literally the same attack they used when the crew first met them on Little Garden lol

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Plutonis posted:

When the Mangaplus version arrives imma do that rename.

are you trying to get this subforum shut down, considering it's history

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Oda has been great at making each New World arc feel important in the moment and then have it immediately just become the stepping stone for something bigger once he’s done.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One Piece Manga Thread: I Hope Kidd Dies!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
that's a good chap

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kid was lame because his epithet was "Captain." That's not a cool pirate nickname, that's your loving rank in the crew. Almost every other Supernova is also a captain lol.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Kid's attack seems super dangerous in navel combat, even if he got taken out before he could use it. I was wondering what his plan was, a single ship vs an armada, but if he can forcibly clump ships together and take them all out with 1 shot, that's a pretty solid winning strategy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is Shanks being able to see the future just really good Haki? I don't recall anyone being able to see the future that clearly and that far ahead before.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Yes it is. Katakuri vs Luffy is probably the closest we've seen to it before. It's advanced observation Haki.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Whooping Crabs posted:

are you trying to get this subforum shut down, considering it's history

I'm using two Ds of course.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is Shanks being able to see the future just really good Haki? I don't recall anyone being able to see the future that clearly and that far ahead before.

Katakuri did it when he predicted an assassination attempt against Big Mom

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We saw him kill a bunch of people this chapter! Or at least Shanks did.

It's interesting that Kidd was explicitly built up as someone who had no mercy for so long, and Shanks is only this chapter being portrayed as someone who protects the weak in this way. It feels like this thematic contrast has been set up for a long time, even though it was just introduced and was already completely resolved in just a few pages.

jassa posted:

Unfortunately it's probably not Blackbeard himself. We saw him in battle against Law just a few hours ago. More likely this is another of the BB Pirates' ships, containing some of their forces who weren't at the other fight.
Hmm. You're right. I forgot they have multiple log rafts now. I was looking forward to Blackbeard vs Kizaru, darkness vs light.

But actually, in terms of Blackbeard-affiliated characters who it would be interesting to see fight Kizaru... it would be really cool to see Kuzan show up! With all these Ohara callbacks, it would be nice to see someone make an effort to protect the fleeing civilians from the oncoming Marine onslaught. And then kidnap Saturn for good measure.

Speaking of Ohara callbacks, I wonder why we haven't heard the words "Buster Call" yet. It seems like the Navy is pretty much doing one with all the forces that are being sent over, just one fully backed by a fleet admiral. I know I would be much more viscerally terrified for the fleeing civilians if I heard this operation referred to as a Buster Call.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:emptyquote:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Eiba posted:

Hmm. You're right. I forgot they have multiple log rafts now. I was looking forward to Blackbeard vs Kizaru, darkness vs light.

But actually, in terms of Blackbeard-affiliated characters who it would be interesting to see fight Kizaru... it would be really cool to see Kuzan show up! With all these Ohara callbacks, it would be nice to see someone make an effort to protect the fleeing civilians from the oncoming Marine onslaught. And then kidnap Saturn for good measure.

Kuzan kidnapping/killing Saturn would definitely be an "Incident" so that could be what happens. Just getting a Kuzan/Kizaru fight would be interesting by itself too. Gonna be some cool chapters ahead regardless though.

If it is actually Kuzan I wonder if that's how Luffy will learn about Koby being kidnapped. Maybe find out what happened to Law as well if Kuzan gets a call via snail while hes here. Though maybe that would derail a potential trip to Elbaf which feels like something that should happen before the big blackbeard confrontation. But who knows.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Thread title

I have a friend that likes OP a lot, but he letters for official manga releases so obvs he hates leaks. I'm gonna hit him with that the second he finishes reading on Sunday aaaaa

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo :lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007