Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Isn't sexwork usually paid by the hour anyway? I don't get the need for extra speed here. Maybe in a brothel were you want to process the customers quickly, but I dunno. I guess some people might have a price model based on nothing but ejaculation. At least in Paul's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wouldn’t know firsthand, but in movies and TV it’s often paid by whatever service they do. Paul gets everything he knows about sex work from movies and TV.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Some pervert goon better get in here and give way too many details about their experiences with sex workers.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Since it dislodged the memory anyway, I remember some podcasts and threads doing deep dives into communities of dudes reviewing sex workers Yelp-style. And at least some of it is pay for time since a weirdly common bit was dudes pissed off at sex workers always asking if they wanted them to make a cup of tea since it was just a secret way to burn 15 minutes.

But yeah, Paul's whole view of sex work and trafficking being this weird amalgam of TV and movies was good.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I played a lot of the Yakuza games, I can tell you all about how it works on fictionalized Japan over the past 50 years, and "fast as you can, slam the man" mostly applies to Telekura or phone dating clubs, need to know to slam the phone down on fake calls fast to not waste your allotted time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For what it's worth, I could also believe Paul has extensive experience with sex workers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

His face when that lady at the Q&A asked him,"Aren't mail-order brides a form of sex trafficking?" :vince:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

haha this thread got incredibly goony the moment the topic shifted to sex work

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here's a new "everyone is an actor but one guy" show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bnYkvjdD0

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
joe schmo show...

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I liked it for the most part but I feel like they're going too crazy too early and he will definitely realise that it's all staged way before the end of it. The actors have been pretty funny so far.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apparently there was a season of Joe Shmo with two "contestants" and one figured it out immediately.

Because a cast member was an idiot and talked about their agent getting them on the show.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Harminoff posted:

Here's a new "everyone is an actor but one guy" show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2bnYkvjdD0

I had really high hopes for this but so far I'm finding it just kind of average. I guess in part because I've been spoilt by watching Nathan's shows that other "hidden camera" type things seem pedestrian by comparison. It feels like there's a lot of potential that's being squandered, like the fact the actors seem to be keeping in character to some extent even when Ronald isn't in the room could be explored more.

At times I think it would be pretty much the same without the "prank" angle since most of the comedy comes from the scripted stuff and not Ronald's reactions.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's like plain comedy oatmeal. It's not bad, it's just fine, but it would definitely be infinitely better with some butter and fruit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Huge fan of the original Joe Schmo show, with my 2004 custom title being an indication of that.

Jury Duty is okay.... I'm 3 episodes in, I'll watch all 6 because it's decent and short. But it had so much potential. A show like this you want the comedy to come from pranking the guy that doesn't know its real, and so far it's just a bunch of scripted jokes that give it the humor. Which is fine for what it is. It's not like a reality TV show format where it feels natural to interview the people about what just happened. I really wonder how they justify a camera crew following the jury around and have it seem natural to the guy. Was the premise that this is the judge's last trial, so it was a special thing?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like it fine enough but yeah its in this weird in between spot where they don't cut to Ronald's reactions as much as you expect them to do but the scripted stuff also feels weirdly undeveloped, feels like two satellites spinning around each other. Which is a shame because it seems like they got the type of dope you want for one of these shows.

It needs more stuff like the crane bit, basically.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I can't help but feel that had Nathan been behind Jury Duty he would have somehow got Ronald wearing the "Jorf" shirt and got him to be the one jumping on the bed to help Noah and Jeannie get down

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The impractical Jokers are down a man. Maybe this is Nathan's opportunity to break into the group. Nathan would have such twisted punishments, like having to take a piece of gum that will shock them.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I watched this months ago.

"Fast as you can, slam the man" still pops into my head on a regular basis.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

The impractical Jokers are down a man. Maybe this is Nathan's opportunity to break into the group. Nathan would have such twisted punishments, like having to take a piece of gum that will shock them.

Might fit in well, since I just remembered that one punishment was supposedly a months-long con to convince Q or Sal that they were facing federal trespassing charges from climbing onto a statue at a courthouse, complete with a fake meeting with a fake federal prosecutor.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jury Duty is a little uneven but honestly its made me absolutely crack up a bunch of times, more than enough times to make it worth it. The real guy is a friendly and good natured guy to a fault, it might have worked more if he was a little more likely to get flustered but you just can't ruin his mood, he's having such a good time spending time with all these people.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Might fit in well, since I just remembered that one punishment was supposedly a months-long con to convince Q or Sal that they were facing federal trespassing charges from climbing onto a statue at a courthouse, complete with a fake meeting with a fake federal prosecutor.

https://twitter.com/truTVjokers/status/718835035038621696?lang=en

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Last two episodes are out. Doesn't really change my thoughts on the show, its decent but part of what I want out of these types of shows is to see the wires and Jury Duty is intent on hiding the wires until the very end.

That being said the finale had some good stuff like when you can see the actor's face geniuely light up when Ronald brings up family guy on rewatch because he realizes this means they are going to be able to hit a beat they discarded earlier.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watched the first episode of Jury Duty, and so far wish they just made a regular sitcom about doing Jury Duty (if you like James Acaster, he wrote a pilot for such a thing and it seemed good but never got picked up). In the first episode at least, nothing seemed to be gained from having someone not in on it.

The splicing of reaction shots of the non-actor during conversations that were blatantly filmed when he wasn’t in the room are particularly painful.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently there was a season of Joe Schmo with two "contestants" and one figured it out immediately.

Because a cast member was an idiot and talked about their agent getting them on the show.
Joe Schmo was awesome. The first season had a lot of commentary about how they realized it felt kind of mean, and Matt was such a good guy, so they basically had to rework everything. Kristen Wiig and David Hornsby make it kind of a trip to watch now because it's hard to imagine not recognizing them now.

Apparently Rickety Cricket was on a single episode of ER before the show aired, and Wiig hadn't really been in anything either at that point.

The season with two contestants was great especially for the crew reaction when Ingrid figured it all out. They basically said "well, you got us, we'll still give you the prize money if you want to join the cast" and she did. The only actor I recognize from that season was Natasha Leggero.

The Bounty Hunter season was weird as hell but also pretty good. Weirdly all three seasons featured a schmo from the Pittsburgh area.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I finished Jury Duty. Man... what a disappointing show. It wasn't until the finale that I realized what I missed from Joe Schmo, where they pulled back the curtain and revealed everything that went wrong and how they saved themselves, how they snuck the actors our for rehearsal, the commentary from the control room while things were going on.

Like the concept of presenting the whole thing with zero BTS stuff up until the finale I think is where this show fell flat. You could punch it up with the actors reactions to the scenario throughout, but instead of was filled by things that were kind of mundane and not funny.

This is not even spoiler tag worthy because you know it's going to happen.... like when the judge starts listing all of the good things Ronald did during the show, they were just these small beats that they did even make a big deal about after they happened in the show. So when they are recapping them as a big deal you're kind of like "huh?"

And my god... they kept that guy sequestered for 17 days? Ronald got paid, so totally worth it, but even the original Joe Schmo was 10 days and it was jam packed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I definitely noticed some of those little moments they brought up at the end, he was a nice guy. The show is just extremely milquetoast

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm at episode 3 of Paul T Goldman and wow that's definitely something. Trying hard not to read any spoilers for now though, really sucks I missed it when it actually came out.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Astro7x posted:

I finished Jury Duty. Man... what a disappointing show. It wasn't until the finale that I realized what I missed from Joe Schmo, where they pulled back the curtain and revealed everything that went wrong and how they saved themselves, how they snuck the actors our for rehearsal, the commentary from the control room while things were going on.

Like the concept of presenting the whole thing with zero BTS stuff up until the finale I think is where this show fell flat. You could punch it up with the actors reactions to the scenario throughout, but instead of was filled by things that were kind of mundane and not funny.

This is not even spoiler tag worthy because you know it's going to happen.... like when the judge starts listing all of the good things Ronald did during the show, they were just these small beats that they did even make a big deal about after they happened in the show. So when they are recapping them as a big deal you're kind of like "huh?"

And my god... they kept that guy sequestered for 17 days? Ronald got paid, so totally worth it, but even the original Joe Schmo was 10 days and it was jam packed.
Don’t worry about it but I think we’re the same person.

I keep thinking - okay so like 3 days just passed and it’s the same 30 minute episode. This guy is just doing this while every other person is “an actor”? But someone forgot to write one part? Who are the characters talking to sometimes?

edit: finished the show and i loved it. the show knew people would be like “well
joe schmo”.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 7, 2023

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Actually I’ll bump the thread - Jury Duty is okay. People like me pulling strangers aside in Chipotlé to point out that “Joe Schmo was willing to pull back the curtain - to speak to us, the audience” may have been unnecessarily disruptive to other people’s lives.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Paul T Goldman was great. I don't think it's actually very similar to The Rehearsal, tbh, other than being pretty meta and about a weird person. I am extremely impressed with how long Jason Woliner stuck with this project. It seems exhausting and like it was pretty unlikely to pan out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The quibi reveal was so good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's probably also never going to be free of this man. Like I assume fake Bill Gates still shows up wherever Nathan works from time to time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I still think Paul is a character - a real good and believable one - but there are too many holes in the story, too many things that fall perfectly into place, and also he's about the same height/bone structure as Sascha Baron Cohen

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wow!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A God drat Ghost posted:

Paul T Goldman was great. I don't think it's actually very similar to The Rehearsal, tbh, other than being pretty meta and about a weird person. I am extremely impressed with how long Jason Woliner stuck with this project. It seems exhausting and like it was pretty unlikely to pan out.

Tbh I have no idea why it was merged into one thread and I wouldn't have done so myself, but a mod must have thought it was a good idea to make a single thread for 2 barely related shows because someone mentioned Paul T Goldman in here. At the same time if you like one you'll probably like the other, so hey not the worst thing I guess. I still find it sort of bizarre though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just happened organically. We started talking about it here so much it became the sensible place to talk about it. The reaction to either show can be so similar at times at the shock of some of these people so I think it works lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the finale yesterday. You could kind of tell where it was going from the previous several episodes but it was still pretty satisfying. What did they watch at the premiere? Was it just the first episode or two or everything until the last one? Because the audience's perception of Paul would really depend on where they stopped imo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it was the first two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv46x5Md_vg