Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Ya'll getting too fancy with these outhouses. This is really all you need, and it'll even accommodate 2 people.

I appreciate the hole provided to let the snakes out, but I do not appreciate the hole provided to let the snakes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MrAmazing posted:

There is at least one trail system in Jasper national park in Canada where the campground toilets are just rows of seats about 3 feet apart over very large buckets (that I assume they fly out).

No walls or anything resembling privacy or shelter from the elements, but beautiful views of storms blowing in over the Rocky Mountains while you poop.

Backcountry campsites around here have "thunderboxes" which are essentially the same thing. No bucket though, just a hole. I assume once it fills up they dig a new hole.

I prefer them to outhouses, smells don't collect as much when there's no structure around it.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Backcountry campsites around here have "thunderboxes" which are essentially the same thing. No bucket though, just a hole. I assume once it fills up they dig a new hole.

I prefer them to outhouses, smells don't collect as much when there's no structure around it.

Where is here? In my experience you only need to poo poo in 50 degrees and sideways rain once to want a roof. I might just be old and soft though…

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I was wondering what I got got for (I never look at the leper's colony to see what I was dinged for, that would be stupid and counterproductive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsSWERboUo0

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrAmazing posted:

Where is here? In my experience you only need to poo poo in 50 degrees and sideways rain once to want a roof. I might just be old and soft though…

"Here" is probably a lot of state/provincial and national parks with back country camping. Pretty much anywhere you would need to hike, paddle and probably fly in to get to.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

MrAmazing posted:

Ontario. I camp a lot but so far I've been able to avoid pooping in nasty weather. If it felt like the weekend wss trending that way I might put a tarp up over it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wesleywillis posted:

"Here" is probably a lot of state/provincial and national parks with back country camping. Pretty much anywhere you would need to hike, paddle and probably fly in to get to.

An uncovered toilet still beats having to dig a hole in the forest to poo poo, so that checks out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

moist turtleneck posted:

yall got water proof toilet paper or do you use a rag on a stick

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1241004717855080448

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Wow happy three year anniversary to this tweet

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Make the turntable and light work all of a sudden one day just to gently caress with the mail carrier.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

:kstare:

I didn't know Grover was building again.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I believe this is what the Boy Scouts call "pilot-to-bombardier" configuration.

:haw:

Using one that's just a single seat in the woods is called "being the forest king."

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

It’s impossible to tell where the joists will end up

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Toasted posted:

It’s impossible to tell where the joists will end up

true

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Honestly adding more fiber from corn to a Southern diet is probably gonna help a bunch on its own.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is there a fault line running through the build site?

The only alternative I can think of is the architect's cat was being playful as that was being drawn.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Crappy construction on wheels!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can't fool me, that's an AI-generated image

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Can't decide if the semi is eating the van or if the van is shooting out of the semi's mouth a la Aliens.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You’re close, but fortunately for you, I know my lore. That there is a life size M.A.S.K vehicle.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kid sinister posted:

https://vimeo.com/40393795

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

kid sinister posted:

I really want to know if that's crappy construction on top of a solid base, or if the frame is welded together bullshit.
If yall aren't aware, you can drive a semi-truck in the US without any training or license or inspection if you slap an "RV" on top of it. Literally any 80 year old can drive around something that requires schooling and a commercial driver's license

There's room for a loving car in the trunk:

octogenarians shouldn't be allowed to drive around commercial semi-trucks disguised as "RVs" without a commercial driver's license (or run the the political system)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

MisterOblivious posted:

octogenarians shouldn't be allowed to drive

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

octogenarians shouldn't be allowed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The red truckvan looks like two vans humping.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Constantine posted:

arians shouldn't be

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

If yall aren't aware, you can drive a semi-truck in the US without any training or license or inspection if you slap an "RV" on top of it. Literally any 80 year old can drive around something that requires schooling and a commercial driver's license

The Region of Peel is in southern Ontario, Canada. I have no idea if the RV trick works there.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Did I do this right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The Region of Peel is in southern Ontario, Canada. I have no idea if the RV trick works there.

What is the rv trick, and what does the region of peel have to do with anything? The MTO decides who drives in Ontario.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

octogenarians shouldn't be allowed to drive around commercial semi-trucks disguised as "RVs" without a commercial driver's license (or run the the political system)

How does Trump and Biden getting commercial driver's licences improve politics?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

What is the rv trick, and what does the region of peel have to do with anything? The MTO decides who drives in Ontario.

The photo has a building that says 'region of Peel'. They pointed out the location because the other poster discussed US laws. hth

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got ya, missed that. Also thought they were referring to the second pic with one that holds the car in the back.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Crookedness aside is the ridge not supposed to be a single long member too or am I misunderstanding what kind of construction this is

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The ridge beam is a non-load-bearing tie to maintain alignment of all of the roof joists in stick construction.

These are pre-fab trusses, so the spacers there are supposed to function the same (I'd temporarily add lengths of 2x4 across the trusses to hold alignment), at least until the sheathing is up.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m sure they cut them to the correct lengths though, and if you viewed the scene from 90 degrees to the side, those trusses would all be nice and vertical. :mmmhmm:

Jows
May 8, 2002

The architect's generate roof button hosed up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, for most roofs what's going on is that the roof assembly is a triangle that sits on top of the walls. Because it's a triangle, it has good strength, but the forces all pass through the corners of the triangle, so those need to be secure. It's not exactly easy to nail the two diagonal members of the triangle to each other at the ridge, end-to-end, so the ridge beam is there to help.

In a vaulted roof, you can't do that kind of triangle because you don't have the roof joist (the horizontal beam). In that case, the ridge beam is load-bearing, and has to be supported by walls or columns at intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

the far side is just an A-frame