Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Theres plenty of time between now and the draft for him to blow an ACL walking down some stairs or whatever, why would you take on an extra month of risk when you just sold the farm for the first pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah the hawks typically have a pretty clear 40 time threshold for their top 100 wr picks and JSN doesn’t meet them, so who knows.

Why did you think that seattle would not draft Charles Cross?

He was totally outside of their usual line type, they always liked big mean maulers in the run game. Cross is totally different, he's a pass blocking technician. He was outside of type for them, but to their credit they went with the best lineman available.

Carter is a bigger risk than expected but he legit may still be the best player in the draft and is at the team's greatest position of need. I wouldn't be surprised if they took him. Everyone else in that range just isn't as talented and isn't as good of a fit for their scheme

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

Maybe you could mail the dude your playbook and start talking Xs and Os in your "pre draft interviews" or whatever. But even if it's permitted that seems like a terrible idea because what if you change your mind? Great now some fuckin dude who isn't on your team has your playbook

I think this part has happened a couple/few times when it was stupidly obvious what the pick was going to be. Normally I'd say Stroud doesn't fall into that category of completely can't miss, but you don't move what you moved to get up to #1 unless you already know who you're going after I wouldn't think.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The first ever draft pick of the PCJS era was a LT at 6th overall.

PCJS have historically let other areas of the offensive line languish, but between Okung and trading for Duane Brown, they’ve been proactive in getting quality LTs.

That’s also the last time they had a pick that high until this year. I think then simple explanation is that their draft strategy is pretty close to BPA and they’ve been picking at the end of the first for a decade where the top tier OL are already gone. They’re more like to take the 1st or 2nd off ball LB on their board than the 5th tackle because they want the better player, irrespective of positions.

The bigger issue is how terrible their actual evaluations have been of which players are actually good when they’ve had a first round pick at all.

Coincidentally this is the first time in nearly a decade they’ve had a chance at a top tackle prospect. So as long as they’re bad enough to keep picking near the top of the 1st their o line may improve dramatically!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

??? I don't have a rule in front of me to cite but I feel quite confident that it is not possible to sign a player from the draft class before the draft has happened. This makes zero sense. Also the league and all media companies would hate it, they need the drama for ads and clicks

Maybe you could mail the dude your playbook and start talking Xs and Os in your "pre draft interviews" or whatever. But even if it's permitted that seems like a terrible idea because what if you change your mind? Great now some fuckin dude who isn't on your team has your playbook

Signing picks before the draft used to be a thing, I’ve seen it mentioned in a few of the NFL Films/NFL Network “Caught in the Draft” shows about older ones. There was one year, it may have been the mid-70s or mid-80s, where the top 3 or 4 guys were already signed before the actual date of the draft. I vaguely recall it a few times in the 90s or early 00s with the top pick too.

I suspect it’s something that just became less common as draft picks became more valuable and went away totally once the rookie contracts became set in 2012.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s also the last time they had a pick that high until this year. I think then simple explanation is that their draft strategy is pretty close to BPA and they’ve been picking at the end of the first for a decade where the top tier OL are already gone. They’re more like to take the 1st or 2nd off ball LB on their board than the 5th tackle because they want the better player, irrespective of positions.

The bigger issue is how terrible their actual evaluations have been of which players are actually good when they’ve had a first round pick at all.

Coincidentally this is the first time in nearly a decade they’ve had a chance at a top tackle prospect. So as long as they’re bad enough to keep picking near the top of the 1st their o line may improve dramatically!

I think this is all accurate. Schneider has generally made sensible picks and has not traded back when picking high in the 1st. But they spent a long time foolishly trading away picks for players like Harvin and Adams and trading back to bolster draft capital when trying to extend the Russ window. Whatever the reason they had years of truly terrible drafts.

Well, they have to nail this one. No pressure guys.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I think that’s a relatively fair explanation of their process. They’ve sucked at actual talent evaluation for a lot of their picks. Still fuming/lol’ing at the pick of Eskridge over Creed Humphrey.

Luckily Pete will draft muscly Florida guard in the back half of the first and then thick necked Minnesota center in the second.

Hawks will have a good OL for the first time since their SB run.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Signing picks before the draft used to be a thing, I’ve seen it mentioned in a few of the NFL Films/NFL Network “Caught in the Draft” shows about older ones. There was one year, it may have been the mid-70s or mid-80s, where the top 3 or 4 guys were already signed before the actual date of the draft. I vaguely recall it a few times in the 90s or early 00s with the top pick too.

I suspect it’s something that just became less common as draft picks became more valuable and went away totally once the rookie contracts became set in 2012.

lol wtf. Did the teams just call each other up and say who they were going to draft? In a hypothetical where those guys weren't drafted by the team that signed them, what would happen? The contracts are voided? Hilarious lawsuits?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

lol wtf. Did the teams just call each other up and say who they were going to draft? In a hypothetical where those guys weren't drafted by the team that signed them, what would happen? The contracts are voided? Hilarious lawsuits?
I imagine it was public knowledge so when teamA with pick 1 signed QB1, teamB with pick 2 could go ahead and sign DT1, ect ect
All with the assumption that since they signed a guy they know they'd be hosed if they didnt actually use their pick on the guy so they didnt get fucky with it when the official draft came around.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thought this was interesting although I'm not sure how much it carries over or what other variables are involved. Fields and Burrow still can't avoid sacks but Herbert is one of the best at it and he was sacked a ton in college.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Diva Cupcake posted:

Thought this was interesting although I'm not sure how much it carries over or what other variables are involved. Fields and Burrow still can't avoid sacks but Herbert is one of the best at it and he was sacked a ton in college.

Herbert does not look to be the best at it based on this chart?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

three posted:

Maybe I worded it poorly. Herbert is one of the best in the NFL at it, while his college sack avoidance was poor. Other QBs like Fields and Burrow their college avoidance has generally carried over to the next level.

Is it useful as a predictive stat where we can say Will Levis will continue to be sacked a ton in the NFL while Richardson, Young, and Stroud will be generally pretty good? I dunno.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 23, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I imagine it was public knowledge so when teamA with pick 1 signed QB1, teamB with pick 2 could go ahead and sign DT1, ect ect
All with the assumption that since they signed a guy they know they'd be hosed if they didnt actually use their pick on the guy so they didnt get fucky with it when the official draft came around.

Yeah, I’d imagine it just made the actual pick announcement more of a formality, particularly if it was one of the older drafts when the TV/media side of things was much more of a side element. I’m almost positive it was from one of the Caught in the Draft specials, but I’m phone posting at work so I can’t check them out easily right now to confirm which year it was.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I know the Dolphins signed Jake Long before the 2008 draft at least, I think it finally did end when they put the rookie contracts in.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

three posted:

The chart is data from college, not their time in the NFL. I don't know if a comparable chart with NFL time exists.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

No Butt Stuff posted:

The chart is data from college, not their time in the NFL. I don't know if a comparable chart with NFL time exists.

Oh. My bad. I thought it was just last year stats regardless of level.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I see that Joe Burrow and Justin Fields also got sacked a lot in college

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Obvious thing was obvious
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1638952311413194752

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I feel like Burrow is actually pretty good at scrambling and avoiding sacks, he just gets pressured like on 80% of his dropbacks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was the fourth most-sacked QB though and I keep hearing how good his processing speed is so his line just must be absolute trash his entire career

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

He was the fourth most-sacked QB though and I keep hearing how good his processing speed is so his line just must be absolute trash his entire career

It has been. Their offense is also a lot more downfield oriented than the poo poo Lombardi had Herbert doing in LA. Burrow lead the league in yards per attempt in 2021 by .4 yards and was 1.4 yards above Herbert. He was simply taking more downfield shots which require holding the ball longer.

That number dropped this year because he got the ball out quicker and so he also took fewer sacks, at least until the line started disintegrating at the end of the season.

Herbert’s YPA numbers in 2022 were among the lowest in the league because they were trying to protect his ribs. Everything was dumpoffs to Ekeler and slants. They were specifically trying to keep him from getting hit and it worked, at the expense of the offense basically abandoning anytbing downfield.

Burrow’s processing is pretty good but he also like to look for the big shot, similar to Stafford in that regard, and that leads to him taking more hits. But a portion of the difference is also just down to very different offensive philosophies with LA running the same short-intermediate stuff that Payton was doing with Brees for years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Herbert’s YPA numbers in 2022 were among the lowest in the league because they were trying to protect his ribs. Everything was dumpoffs to Ekeler and slants. They were specifically trying to keep him from getting hit and it worked, at the expense of the offense basically abandoning anytbing downfield.

I think it was less about protecting Herbert and more that Lombardi is a coward.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

I think it was less about protecting Herbert and more that Lombardi is a coward.

He is, but it was especially pronounced this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

YOLOsubmarine posted:

hey, it's just like the Cristobal years!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Was trying to find the clip of Burrow in last year’s afccg where he avoided a sack and then mystically stepped out of another one at the precise right time while not even looking at the defender but alas google is a chiefs fan and heavily weighing results to this year’s

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Was trying to find the clip of Burrow in last year’s afccg where he avoided a sack and then mystically stepped out of another one at the precise right time while not even looking at the defender but alas google is a chiefs fan and heavily weighing results to this year’s

Somewhere in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZHCY6ceUE

Yeah that was annoying to google even including the year and specific date.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1638898138751684608

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Ballard has a longer leash than we though I guess

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dropping a bomb like that to link to a paywall

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I wouldn't read too much into that, it's purely Doyel's speculation based on the Colts not trading up to 1. Though I would say it's a more likely scenario than them trading up to 3. Probably only happens if some other team leapfrogs them to 3 and takes Richardson though.

As for Ballard's leash I do think it's longer than a lot of people would've guessed. All he really needs to do this year is get some QB on the roster that the fanbase can attach to as a potential future franchise guy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

2023 NFL Draft Thread: Brilliant, really

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imagine cooking up a prediction and then calling it brilliant, really

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Maybe I worded it poorly. Herbert is one of the best in the NFL at it, while his college sack avoidance was poor. Other QBs like Fields and Burrow their college avoidance has generally carried over to the next level.

Is it useful as a predictive stat where we can say Will Levis will continue to be sacked a ton in the NFL while Richardson, Young, and Stroud will be generally pretty good? I dunno.

I more or less ignore Herbert when trying to think about how to evaluate players. He's just so unusual in how good he is and how much he flawlessly eliminated a bunch of his college weaknesses over the course of one covid interrupted offseason

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I wouldn't read too much into that, it's purely Doyel's speculation based on the Colts not trading up to 1. Though I would say it's a more likely scenario than them trading up to 3. Probably only happens if some other team leapfrogs them to 3 and takes Richardson though.

As for Ballard's leash I do think it's longer than a lot of people would've guessed. All he really needs to do this year is get some QB on the roster that the fanbase can attach to as a potential future franchise guy.

Yeah, they only trade up in Stroud is at 3. If Richardson is there at 4 they take him. If not, they either trade back or take BPA and look for Hooker later.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grittybeard posted:

Somewhere in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZHCY6ceUE

Yeah that was annoying to google even including the year and specific date.

Yup! Bit before 3:00 mark

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've been saying for weeks now I think Hooker is seen as a first rounder. Not super surprised someone is keen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

If Hooker hadn't gotten injured I think he would've passed Levis pretty easily in everyone's rankings

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

If Hooker hadn't gotten injured I think he would've passed Levis pretty easily in everyone's rankings

It really wouldn't surprise me if the day after the first round hooker is on a team and Levis is full on depression in the green room and we get the tweets and expose articles that a lot of teams had them ranked that way.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
On the GM podcast on the athletic stream, the gm was saying he wouldn’t be surprised if besides Bryce/stroud they all fell later than expected. But others say maybe four in the top five? Should be a fun draft! And mostly because of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I could see a team trading up to get Hooker at the end of the first. Then you could pick up his 5th year option at age 30.