Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There is probably a way to restore a devil’s previous incarnation’s memories, because it would be very Chainsaw Man to have the Blood Devil get Power’s memories right before or right after something incredibly hosed up and tragic happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe there's an amnesia devil? I know I'm terrified of it. Dementia devil would be pretty strong too if the timeline was later than 1998.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think there's some way to get memories of the past incarnation just because of how much Makima seemed to know about Chainsaw Man.

Plus you have Beam and those two other living fiends who didn't get lines were part of Makima's Pochita fanclub, though I guess its up in the air how much they were there because of Makima's control powers, seeing as Power and Violence both didn't care about Chainsaw one way or the other.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's not a given that the Falling Devil actually died to get to Earth. The Hell Devil is capable of direct transport from Earth to Hell, the doors may be two-way and they seem to be in cahoots here anyway.

Or there's an Earth Devil.

Das Boo posted:

I genuinely love that it's always possible you're simultaneously overthinking and underthinking any single element of this story.

yeah, this

edit:\/\/\/\/ yeah I misread some of the earlier conversation as being people thought the Falling Devil had died to get here, my bad

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 18, 2023

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's not a given that the Falling Devil actually died to get to Earth. The Hell Devil is capable of direct transport from Earth to Hell, the doors may be two-way and they seem to be in cahoots here anyway.

Or there's an Earth Devil.

yeah, this

We see her actively throwing people into hell. She unambiguously has transport.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LostRook posted:

We see her actively throwing people into hell. She unambiguously has transport.

yeh I'm inclined to believe this. the doors floating in mid-air are exactly Hell devil's motif

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Das Boo posted:

I genuinely love that it's always possible you're simultaneously overthinking and underthinking any single element of this story.

Falling devil still makes me laugh like it's so simple and yet

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tbp posted:

makima tells us that there used to be multiple "options" at the end of life, but pochita ate all of them aside from death, so definitely possible

Chainsaw Man can't have eaten Heaven, though, because people remember the idea.

I was reminded today that Aki mentioned Heaven as well in his internal monologue about the requiem they were giving for Himeno... by kicking Samurai Sword in the balls very hard.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/giganticbuddha/status/1638257220738506752

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

congratulations to Power for scamming Henry Kissinger out of millions of dollars

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can’t put me in jail

I have a cat

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
She’s the president, she has diplomatic immunity

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whirling posted:

congratulations to Power for scamming Henry Kissinger out of millions of dollars

She's a hero

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if Denji ate Makima, does that mean there's no longer... control? or what's up

also, is Katana Man the only other hybrid like Denji (and I guess Asa)? did we ever go back to that plot point

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

also, is Katana Man the only other hybrid like Denji (and I guess Asa)? did we ever go back to that plot point

Reze and Makima's weapon squad. The type of being they are used to have a name until Chainsaw erased it from existence.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://chainsaw-man.fandom.com/wiki/Hybrids

There were a few hybrids

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The way Denji ate Makima is unusual in that it only partially reset her instead of erasing her from existence. Probably because he spread it out over a long period of time. So now there's a new Control devil with a new personality.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Denji ate Makima, not the Chainsaw Devil. And Denji doesn't have the power to erase the concepts of Devils he eats out of existence.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

HerraS posted:

Reze and Makima's weapon squad. The type of being they are used to have a name until Chainsaw erased it from existence.

Quanxi as well

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

The way Denji ate Makima is unusual in that it only partially reset her instead of erasing her from existence. Probably because he spread it out over a long period of time. So now there's a new Control devil with a new personality.

No, he killed her in the usual way, functionally. Nayuta is a full powered Control Devil, unlike Yoru who was nerfed due to Chainsaw eating parts.

Since Denji ate Makima instead of Pochita, she didn't get erased. And because Denji ate her as an act of love, it bypassed the contract.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And because Denji ate her as an act of love, it bypassed the contract.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

chiasaur11 posted:

No, he killed her in the usual way, functionally. Nayuta is a full powered Control Devil, unlike Yoru who was nerfed due to Chainsaw eating parts.

Since Denji ate Makima instead of Pochita, she didn't get erased. And because Denji ate her as an act of love, it bypassed the contract.

idk how it was supposed to work exactly, since it seemed like the contract was still in effect somehow. Kishibe mentions that "people are dying by the second" when he drops off the Makima Doordash special, so the contract was working in some capacity. If her contract passed off any damage done to her onto Japanese citizens then you really gotta wonder how those people died

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

idk how it was supposed to work exactly, since it seemed like the contract was still in effect somehow. Kishibe mentions that "people are dying by the second" when he drops off the Makima Doordash special, so the contract was working in some capacity. If her contract passed off any damage done to her onto Japanese citizens then you really gotta wonder how those people died

The contract works based on attacks, so the Power chainsaw was continually attacking Makima to keep her from regeneration until she was cooked, and then those attacks were killing random people in Japan so Makima could shrug them off. Basically, the DPS was keeping up with regen.

Eating Makima, however, was different. Because Denji was still in love with her, it was taken as an act of romantic devotion, not an attack, meaning the contract wasn't in play. And since there was no contract, Makima didn't get any regen. Thus, she died.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Vol 14 cover

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RubberLuffy posted:

Vol 14 cover

"A cup of rice for ¥10,000, and three slices of toast for ¥10,000; but do not damage the Chupa-Chups and the unlabeled frozen meat"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RubberLuffy posted:

Vol 14 cover

I like how she does the balancing the scales thing with her head.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like how she does the balancing the scales thing with her head.

She tilts them to the side so they're always in her favor.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

SexyBlindfold posted:

"A cup of rice for ¥10,000, and three slices of toast for ¥10,000; but do not damage the Chupa-Chups and the unlabeled frozen meat"

Rev 6:6?

Sometimes I forget that Chainsaw Man has a pseudo-Christian cosmology.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Are chupa chups an international thing or a translation thing?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Consummate Professional posted:

Are chupa chups an international thing or a translation thing?

International soda brand I think, the Asian supermarket nearby carries them and they're actually pretty good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Source: https://www.tumblr.com/owainigo/705041712877273088/more-chainsaw-man-fan-art-for-you

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
chupa chups are a major international brand of lollipops but idk what that has to do with chainsaw man, did fami mention them or something

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lih posted:

chupa chups are a major international brand of lollipops but idk what that has to do with chainsaw man, did fami mention them or something

Makima gave Denji his first indirect kiss with one. He kept the lolipop in his pocket, and Himeno pulling it from his pants when Denji was undressing is why he stopped things.

Chupa Chups are the reason Denji is still a virgin.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Denji may be a virgin but that bit between him and Power in the dumpster after she saved him was the most intimacy anyone in the cast has ever experienced.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Denji may be a virgin but that bit between him and Power in the dumpster after she saved him was the most intimacy anyone in the cast has ever experienced.

Wrong

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Denji's a safe lad to open your heart to.
I mean in-universe, narratively you're signing your own death warrant.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima gave Denji his first indirect kiss with one. He kept the lolipop in his pocket, and Himeno pulling it from his pants when Denji was undressing is why he stopped things.

Chupa Chups are the reason Denji is still a virgin.

oh i didn't remember them being explicitly referred to by the brand name instead of just as 'lollipops'

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

lih posted:

In Portugal lollipops are called chupa-chupa or just chupa due to the brand, so I just assumed that it would be the same in japan. Also the verb chupar means to suck and is likewise used in all manner of slang, double-entendre’s and crass jokes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
a new layer of horror here maybe but uh, was makima aware she was being eaten as denji was cooking and eating her? if she wasn't "gone" until then?

it's kinda wild that this series is on viz lol there's some completely gross and horrific stuff in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

tbp posted:

a new layer of horror here maybe but uh, was makima aware she was being eaten as denji was cooking and eating her? if she wasn't "gone" until then?

it's kinda wild that this series is on viz lol there's some completely gross and horrific stuff in it

i think devils even those with relative immortality are still unconscious/dead while they are dead and then pop back to life. I recall Denji not rly being aware of stuff while out.