Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Renegret posted:

Why are they not making you bring in your own sunscreen? I don't want some bargain bin spf1 on my kid

We can provide our own sunscreen if we want, but they didn’t get sunburn from whatever they put on them last summer and I like not tracking it.

And yeah, it’s kind of like ‘yeah, literally everything got more expensive this year, that’s generally what the yearly tuition increase was supposed to cover’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Our daycare has parents purchase a bottle of sunscreen for each child we have enrolled each year. Everyone is told to buy the same kind (unless there's some allergy/medical reason to use a different kind I assume). This way they can use the same bottle for the entire class, but purchasing sunscreen isn't actually a line item on their expense report.

Overall it seems like an OK strategy to me?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Our daycare has parents purchase a bottle of sunscreen for each child we have enrolled each year. Everyone is told to buy the same kind (unless there's some allergy/medical reason to use a different kind I assume). This way they can use the same bottle for the entire class, but purchasing sunscreen isn't actually a line item on their expense report.

Overall it seems like an OK strategy to me?

they do this at my daycare as well

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Brawnfire posted:

Also does it ever feel any less surreal when your kid reads? I know sometimes I'm just staring because my tiny baby is tearing through a book. Weren't you just pointing at pictures in the 100 First Words board book? Can we tap the brakes here?

:same:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Can you send your own sunscreen instead?

Edit: I see it was answered already.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Day 5? 6? of "it's midnight, time to wake up and fuss for an hour or more because molars"

Kill me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

I asked my cousin at what age will I be able to stop looking at my kid's butt and she sadly informed me that she's still looking for that answer, and her son's 12.

My kid will keep asking us to "check butt" and starts saying "toot" a bunch right before she poops. Yesterday she had me check her diaper right as the turd was coming out, which was a new experience for me.

Seems like we could start potty training some, but shes only a year and half so I dont know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Really enjoying that juice box, huh?

If only you were drinking it.

Welp, off to grab some paper towels.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Little man wakes up at 5am. Smacks dad awake because how else can he wake me up to play, when shouting is prohibited? Just a big ol' smack to the head, this is progress.

Cue spending the next half hour trying to encourage him to go back to sleep, including permission to use papa as a pillow. It fails. He demands we play with his Lego trains until mama and baby brother wake up.

He draws with crayons while papa gets his coffee. It all went better than expected.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Son is getting a bit too big for the infant car seat. How did everyone go about choosing a convertible car seat? They all look mostly the same with varying price tags.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Dazerbeams posted:

Son is getting a bit too big for the infant car seat. How did everyone go about choosing a convertible car seat? They all look mostly the same with varying price tags.

Looked at a few review sites and what was available at target, pretty much.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Dazerbeams posted:

I was looking into convertible ones and decided that they are too expensive compared to dedicated ones and don't bring too much to the table.
Then I got a hand-me-down dedicated toddler seat and that was the end of my search.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Basically looked for ones with the highest rear-facing weight limits for my large sons. Only a few go up to 50lbs and they tend to be $$$, but the one we got will also go all the way to backless booster so it's the only car seats they'll ever need again.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If it’s in your budget I highly recommend the britax clicktight series. They are extremely easy to install.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We got two of these, one for my car and one for grandma's SUV. They are the only car seats I was able to find that had a steel frame. Most every other model is just injection moulded plastic. I'm not sure how much this matters, but I really like the idea of the seat belt looping through steel rather than plastic. Brand is Chicco if you don't want to click through the link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H8VTTCP

For our daily driver we got the UPPAbaby thing, uh Knox. It also is a steel frame but pretty expensive if you're on a budget

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08YQ4L4Y7

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We have the Graco 4Ever and we're happy with it. Even though it's made of plastic, there's steel reinforcement in some parts including where the belt attaches to it.

Absolute bitch to take apart when your kid inevitably barfs in it but I feel like that's a universal truth with all car seats.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

BadSamaritan posted:

If it’s in your budget I highly recommend the britax clicktight series. They are extremely easy to install.

Seriously. When we bought a second car and got car seats for it we went for cheaper graco and we regret it every single time we have to move the seats, which is still surprisingly often

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in general nowadays if needing to do something means removing a car seat, i just don't do it lol

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son is refusing all medication ever since he had a flavor of some amoxicillin he absolutely despised. Like he doesn’t trust any flavor anymore. I’ve tried mixing it with chocolate syrup and yogurt. I’ve also tried holding him down and squirting it in his mouth, but he just spits it out. Any advice?

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I went with a skinny car seat, the Graco slimfit that fits 3 in a row because we have a small car (Honda fit) and it's nice to be able to be able to realistically have 2 adults in the back with the car seat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Wiggles got some real bangers, not gonna lie

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

killer crane posted:

Hey, that's me from 2 years ago. One of you needs to police that room for the next week or two. You sit in the room, and the first sign of stirring or talking you go to your kid in their bed, press them gently into the bed (engage that proprioception), whisper the same boring things: "we're staying in our beds to go to sleep," or "we're being being quiet so we can sleep." Then go back to your chair. And you do this over and over until they're asleep, and do it for a couple weeks. That worked for me.

Just wanted to quote this and say thanks, this has been working so far and has been far less stressful than repeatedly putting them down, leaving the room, and having them get out and bolt through the house and repeating the cycle.

We’ll see if it sticks in a couple of weeks. So far we’ve given them one opportunity to get to stay in their beds by themselves before one of us stays in the room with them, though no success so far.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A little trick I've learned for installing car seats is that you don't have to pull it super tight. Recline the seat back, pull the straps kinda sorta tight but don't go crazy, then unrecline the entire seat forward.

I can install a car seat in like 5 minutes and it comes out incredibly tight that way. Far tighter than I ever managed with pure muscle.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Renegret posted:

A little trick I've learned for installing car seats is that you don't have to pull it super tight. Recline the seat back, pull the straps kinda sorta tight but don't go crazy, then unrecline the entire seat forward.

I can install a car seat in like 5 minutes and it comes out incredibly tight that way. Far tighter than I ever managed with pure muscle.

I once watched a YouTube video of a car seat reviewer to get ready for a car rental situation and their technique of pushing down on the car seat and then tightening the strap changed everything.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I get right up in there and put my full adult weight on the car seat while I tighten it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

wizzardstaff posted:

I get right up in there and put my full adult weight on the car seat while I tighten it.

Yo. Yeah this.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

wizzardstaff posted:

Yup this. When I was a tour guide we’d have a set amount of time to grab our vehicle, install any car seats and get out to the pickup location. I got really fast because sometimes you’d be installing 3 or 4 car seats.

For our kid though we had the snap in style with a base in both cars and when he outgrew that we got a car seat for each car. It’s bad enough when we forget to unload the stroller when the other one needs it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Between kids and cars and stuff I’ve had like half the car seat brands on the market. They’ve all had pros and cons but the Britax clicktight is my favorite for every day use in my car (or when another adult like grandma needs a car seat in their car) because they’re just so easy to install correctly.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dazerbeams posted:

Do what 2DEG did, and get a rear-facing one with the highest weight limit you can find. Rear-facing as long as possible is the safest. If you kid still fits in there at 6 years old, you should keep them rear-facing.

I'd be recommending an Axkid, they have one that works up to 50 lbs, but it seems like they don't distribute outside of Europe. Looks like the Britax One4Life ClickTight All-in-One fills the same use case. I can tell it's a US-market model because it has loving cup holder. Lol.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What's up, giant 530am meltdown because the two year olds toenails are not painted :sparkles: :dogstare:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

remigious posted:

My son is refusing all medication ever since he had a flavor of some amoxicillin he absolutely despised. Like he doesn’t trust any flavor anymore. I’ve tried mixing it with chocolate syrup and yogurt. I’ve also tried holding him down and squirting it in his mouth, but he just spits it out. Any advice?

With our 3 year old, we had some success with putting the medication in a syringe, getting a bowl of ice cream and then explaining that for every sip of "yucky medicine" she gets a spoon of ice cream. She has a little squirt of the bad stuff and then we follow it immediately with ice cream. We tried hiding it in other foods, but she figured that out very quickly and started refusing anything that was remotely suspect. "No medicine smoothie, daddy."

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Try mixing it in with 2 ounces of whole chocolate milk. Otherwise yea you gotta use a small syringe (5ml or less) and get it deep into their cheek pocket so they can’t spit it out. Only squirt in ~1ml at a time or less then let them swallow it. Our kid used to fuss a bunch with medicine when doing this (and still does to some extent) but they get used to it within a few days if you keep going.

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 24, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

King Hong Kong posted:

I once watched a YouTube video of a car seat reviewer to get ready for a car rental situation and their technique of pushing down on the car seat and then tightening the strap changed everything.

Yo what the gently caress

This changes everything

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Current disagreement in our household: whether we should let our daughter know that, yes, we do have my parents over and do things without her while she's stuck at horse humper's house for his weeks. I'm in favor because she deserves to know the truth, my spouse is not because our daughter is FOMO personified.

I just hate walking on eggshells around our daughter and hiding what fuckface had stolen from her.

Renegret posted:

We have the Graco 4Ever and we're happy with it. Even though it's made of plastic, there's steel reinforcement in some parts including where the belt attaches to it.

Absolute bitch to take apart when your kid inevitably barfs in it but I feel like that's a universal truth with all car seats.

That's two of the three we have left, and i just converted one of them to the booster. Surprisingly hefty but easy to adjust/change out once you watch a YT video of someone else doing it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My mom has been meaning to get a car seat for her vehicle for the past… 2 years? We’ve just been using the infant seat in her vehicle. Fortunately, my kid still fits in her 18 month clothes and still fits in the infant seat, but she’s gonna outgrow it soon.

The car seats around here seemed to have jumped in price since then too. We got the infant seat for about $120 and the same type at the same store is closer to $240 now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What's the preferred spot for taking a one year old's temperature? Still rectal or have we moved past that by a year?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

C-Euro posted:

What's the preferred spot for taking a one year old's temperature? Still rectal or have we moved past that by a year?

You can use ear thermometer after six months

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
We use forehead thermometers. They're not as accurate, but for young kids, a temperature measurement is pretty much just a binary of "do they have a fever or not." Even up into temperatures of 104 and 105 that sound scary, we've routinely had our pediatrician (and the ER) tell us that it's not a big deal for a young kid to have a fever that high, and to treat them based on their whole demeanor and other symptoms.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

C-Euro posted:

I do armpit temps plus one degree F on my kids since I only have the cheap digital thermometer. There comes a point when they get too wiggly to do rectal temps safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My little sister was telling me that with the passage of the ACA, lactation consultants are available for one year with no cost to patients in the US with Amy insurance. My sister and her wife used LC services to get the non-gestational mother to lactate but said the LC was a great resource on a number of newborn parenting things. I didn't know that was an available resource so I figured other goons might also not know. They recommended nest cooperative but there are probably many options to choose from.