Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

eXXon posted:

I had a similar sort of fender ... starts bending and eventually falling onto your wheel before snapping off entirely.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you almost definitely just needed to tighten the bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you almost definitely just needed to tighten the bolt

? it was plenty tight. The plastic just cracked and broke near the 'elbow' as if it wasn't strong enough to bear the weight of the fender for more than a couple of years. Oops.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

to love bikes is to hate cars :frogbon:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sphyre posted:

to love bikes is to hate cars :frogbon:

:amen:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you cant spell crap without the letters c, a, and r. makes you think.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I am, therefore I hate cars

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
At the Kyoto railway museum, and there's a display that talks about how important visibility is to trains.

Japan puts more thought into visibility for something on literal rails than America puts into cars.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

At the Kyoto railway museum, and there's a display that talks about how important visibility is to trains.

Japan puts more thought into visibility for something on literal rails than America puts into cars.

Visibility out of the car only effects the safety of pedestrians and other road users, while the safety of a car is only really measured (and marketed) by its ability to protect the person inside the car, and to an extent those two options are mutually exclusive. And so we get cars that look like pillboxes and weigh 2+ tons because that's what the system incentivises.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://i.imgur.com/6WmRoTf.mp4

You're never gonna guess who reddit blames for this oopsie daisy

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

A cyclist?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

truck should have kept going turning the wheel there is risking lives other than the idiot that deserved to get driven on top of. also he should have hauled that load by bike.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

let me guess the truck is in the wrong for being the fast lane and deserved a brake check

hey speaking of reddit have you noticed how every city subreddit is like 20% complaints about traffic, parking and bad drivers - which posters insist are uniquely bad to their city.
"oh hahaha the drivers here in [whatever] are just assholes, surely there isn't something about cars that turns people into raving psychos. welp, better not think too deeply about this"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah.

Anyway I try to stay off the city subreddits. I'm a front pager when my topics on here run slow. The only big city that makes the front page with any frequency is san fran and you can pretty much guess how lovely that is! Shouldn't be surprised; it's apparently porked up big time, then you factor in the techbro angle and it's just a bunch of people asking questions and proposing solutions to the homeless problem

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

my local city subreddit also mostly proposes the final solution to the homeless problem

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hailthefish posted:

my local city subreddit also mostly proposes the final solution to the homeless problem
This, and mine has weirdly become insanely boot-licking..

But the media started obsessing over assaults on public transit lately. Even though the rate of incidents is the same as its been for ten years or so, it's clear how influential it still is on people. So now the solution is just always more cops.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah.

Anyway I try to stay off the city subreddits. I'm a front pager when my topics on here run slow. The only big city that makes the front page with any frequency is san fran and you can pretty much guess how lovely that is! Shouldn't be surprised; it's apparently porked up big time, then you factor in the techbro angle and it's just a bunch of people asking questions and proposing solutions to the homeless problem

right-wing nuts from all over really like to post in the SF forum about how terrible SF is.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
now way to prevent this, cost of doing business, etc

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/troopers-multiple-construction-workers-695-work-zone-baltimore-county/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

u know the real cause of that tragedy:

https://twitter.com/215marino/status/1639053606950191104

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Polo-Rican posted:

these things cost like $10, take a fraction of a second to attach, and block more mud than a traditional fender.

That is... not true. A traditional fender blocks way more crap and doesn't look like some weird bike tail. A real fender also keeps crap off your frame and drivetrain and doesn't constantly get all cattywampus.

quote:

i would never buy a bike with real fenders unless i lived somewhere like the pacific northwest where it's always wet

Why do people hate fenders so much? Never understand this.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I both love and hate fenders... They are really nice in that they keep your bike cleaner and stop stuff from getting kicked up the tire and onto you, but they definitely change what you can do with the bike, rattle a bit, make the bike heavier. If you ride in the rain they are pretty important to have.

these fenders came on this bike and I will leave them on

but my roadbike I think will just go fenderless from now on

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/livingbyyyz/status/1638893122989051904

...I don't know what the deal is with Twitter links showing previews on the forums lately.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Why do people hate fenders so much? Never understand this.

ironically I think it's American car brain: road infrastructure is so overwhelmingly hostile to bikes that they're largely seen as a recreational activity rather than a daily mode of transportation, so the vast majority of bikes in the US are road bikes, gravel bikes, or mountain bikes, none of which typically have full fenders, as opposed to dutch style or touring bikes or other commuter-friendly designs.

like, fenders have been a feature of bicycles since the late 19th century

but it also seems to be more of a thing for American bike commuters to completely change outfits when arriving at the office or whatever

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
last week somebody drove the wrong way across the bridge that connects to downtown and murdered an oncoming driver and their passenger.

and now I'm seeing folks hypothesize about how the lack of signs caused this.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I both love and hate fenders... They are really nice in that they keep your bike cleaner and stop stuff from getting kicked up the tire and onto you, but they definitely change what you can do with the bike, rattle a bit, make the bike heavier. If you ride in the rain they are pretty important to have.
Fenders usually weight less than a pound. That's insignificant unless you have terminal roadie brain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

but it also seems to be more of a thing for American bike commuters to completely change outfits when arriving at the office or whatever
To be fair you're going to want to do that after pissing your pants nearly getting run over 20 times on the way to work

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

webcams for christ posted:

dude I didn't even participate in this argument why did you call me out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lot of hs gym teachers live to roll out of bed in lycra and peddle to school for a predawn locker room shower

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

cat botherer posted:

Fenders usually weight less than a pound. That's insignificant unless you have terminal roadie brain.

It's true I do have terminal roadie brain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the roadies i know are more paul guys than fender

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My problems with fenders are basically that it's tough to find ones that clear racks and/or winter tires. I finally have a rack + fender setup but it took a while to find a set that worked.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Someone should make a we love bikes thread. I'm not bitching or anything so don't take it that way, because cars getting owned are still getting posted, but it's clearly something people want to talk about

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there is a whole subforum on this website to talk about bikes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think the bike posts add some positivity to an otherwise bummer of a thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my apartment building is so old theres a bylaw against riding or storing my velocipede in the halls. BUT IT DOESNT SAY ANYTHING bout a normal bike

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah but a CSPAM thread is always better. Threads in other forums are for reading and taking posts from to return here with to seem smart and in the know

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

the other threads really focus on bike purchases which is imo not great reading. Would love to see more car hate all around though. gently caress those loving cars

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Epic High Five posted:

Someone should make a we love bikes thread. I'm not bitching or anything so don't take it that way, because cars getting owned are still getting posted, but it's clearly something people want to talk about

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think the bike posts add some positivity to an otherwise bummer of a thread

Yeah there's only so many times you can link to a news article about somebody getting murked by a car and the inevitable "no conviction" follow-up. IMO this should be the combined car-hate and alternative transportation methods promotion thread.

Also mudguards/fenders are cool but I use my commuter bike for recreational gravel riding too and in really muddy conditions I've had the wheels jam with mud when using full fenders and it's too much of a pain to take them on and off, so now I leave them off. As for getting changed, I live in a really hilly area and ride ~12 or 13 km each way, so I can't realistically wear my work clothes while riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Also we shouldn't forget that often the best option for travel (at least environmentally speaking) is to not travel at all. Amazing how much traffic has picked back up again here over the last 6 months or so as all of the office workers have been forced back into the office by insecure managers.

These businesses have been operating either entirely or majority remote for a few years now so they can clearly do it, and think about all of the social, health and environmental benefits of not requiring everyone to drive half way across the city every day, but I guess on the other hand think of all the middle managers who couldn't justify their salary without an office full of subordinates to wander around.