Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I like picking things from a menu in video games.
Same.

And in the context of Final Fantasy, I just feel turn based/menu suits the rpg genre. If you're going to have a story-driven game, that to me is one where I'm feeling like sitting down, having a watch and explore, and when I get into some battles they should be overall pretty under control.

If I want to play an action game, I want to be playing an action game, not a maybe-you're-in-a-story-section-where-it's-slow or maybe-you're-in-a-frantic-battle-section, it just feels like mashing two things together that don't quite work right. I don't want to turn on Mario and have to patiently do a sudoku before I can jump on some goombas (I love doing both, but the pace switch doesn't mesh for me).

ApplesandOranges posted:

I had fairly low expectations for FF7R (y'know, as a cashgrab) but it was better than I expected. Still not my cup of tea, but I didn't get put off by the plot til the last bit and I appreciate it trying what it did.
I think it really helped going in with low expectations and FF7 was never my favourite FF to start with so I wasn't as invested as some people. I like that they opened up the possibilities with that last plot idea and honestly think it was the smart move. It gives them the chance to either do something surprising and amazing... or, well, you know, wallow about in a cesspit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/magicswordking/status/1639071253007933441

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

NikkolasKing posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you prefer VIII over, say, VI or VII in terms of gameplay? I know some people like how breakable it is so maybe that's it?

Fundamentally, while I like games where you just pick things in a menu, the menu picking needs to matter. The turn-based ff games which I didn't list don't. They are easy and breakable and completely unrewarding to me. In general, the turn based games I like come in two flavors.

1. Games where resource management matters. Persona 3-5 or DQ8 for example, where you need to manage your mp well enough to make it through as much of the dungeon as you need to. At that point, decisions at least feel meaningful to me. This basically never happened in the older ff's outside of FF1. It has been exceedingly easy to outgrind things in most other ff games where you can just hit attack and sleep through most battles. Or cast spells and not really care about your MP because you are rolling in ethers. Granted, in Persona and DQ8 once you know what you need and where to get it, they're just as breakable but the first times through are a delight.

2. Much more relevant to your question is games that have timing elements. Sabin Blitzes in 6. Renzokuken/timing the gunblade explosion, Duel, and Trigger? (Irvine's Limit Break) in FF8. Tidus and Auron's Limit breaks. Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, or Super Mario RPG. 8 is obscenely easy but at least there's something that I can engage with for my own amusement beyond just attacking relentlessly if I am so inclined.

As an aside, I like it when weaknesses really matter too I suppose. I loved swapping dudes out in X and seeing that overkill come up. Love doing baton passes in p5 to exploit weaknesses and get those all in attacks. Octopath Traveler 1 had a miserable disjointed story and I would never recommend it because of that but it was pure satisfaction to line buffs and debuffs up on some character to absolutely level a monster through repeated weakness crushing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

A focus on having the turn order readily viewable and delaying turns being a big factor (especially in Cold Steel)

Sounds kinda like Xenosaga 1, too. Interesting. Thanks.

Ytlaya posted:

IMO the Cold Steel system becomes a lot worse once Break is introduced. I really don't like the way all boss battles devolve into "break the boss and unload everything on it, and hope to hell that kills it because you can barely do any damage when it isn't broken and it will trigger its rage mechanic at low health."

So if you want to play it "safe," you just tediously shave off its HP until you're confident you can finish it off while it's broken.

I also don't like S-Crafts as a mechanic (or at least one that uses the same resource as all your interesting abilities). It should have worked on some sort of separate resource - like by spending CP you build up a gauge to use your S-Craft, or something like that.

I replayed FFX recently and it felt much better than the later Cold Steel games to play.

I've also never liked Break mechanics. The one Neptunia game I tried had it, Xenosaga II had it, of course FFXIII had it. But I guess if I ever get around to the games I'll still have plenty to play and enjoy before I even get there.

Failboattootoot posted:

Fundamentally, while I like games where you just pick things in a menu, the menu picking needs to matter. The turn-based ff games which I didn't list don't. They are easy and breakable and completely unrewarding to me. In general, the turn based games I like come in two flavors.

1. Games where resource management matters. Persona 3-5 or DQ8 for example, where you need to manage your mp well enough to make it through as much of the dungeon as you need to. At that point, decisions at least feel meaningful to me. This basically never happened in the older ff's outside of FF1. It has been exceedingly easy to outgrind things in most other ff games where you can just hit attack and sleep through most battles. Or cast spells and not really care about your MP because you are rolling in ethers. Granted, in Persona and DQ8 once you know what you need and where to get it, they're just as breakable but the first times through are a delight.

2. Much more relevant to your question is games that have timing elements. Sabin Blitzes in 6. Renzokuken/timing the gunblade explosion, Duel, and Trigger? (Irvine's Limit Break) in FF8. Tidus and Auron's Limit breaks. Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, or Super Mario RPG. 8 is obscenely easy but at least there's something that I can engage with for my own amusement beyond just attacking relentlessly if I am so inclined.

As an aside, I like it when weaknesses really matter too I suppose. I loved swapping dudes out in X and seeing that overkill come up. Love doing baton passes in p5 to exploit weaknesses and get those all in attacks. Octopath Traveler 1 had a miserable disjointed story and I would never recommend it because of that but it was pure satisfaction to line buffs and debuffs up on some character to absolutely level a monster through repeated weakness crushing.

That all makes sense. I mentioned it earlier but you might like Blue Dragon given #1. It requires timed hits to do pretty much any action save for item usage, at least to my memory.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NikkolasKing posted:

Flop? No. Utterly fail to make any meaningful impression in the gaming market a la FFXV? Possible.

FFXV, despite being a mess and releasing at the tail end of a period of declining market relevance for the series, was one of the most financially successful FF releases of all time and along with the slow rehabilitation of FFXIV pretty much saved the series. XV sold more than 10 million copies, which is decent. We no longer live at a moment of decline for Japanese rpgs however, and the profile for Square-Enix titles has changed quite a bit in the last 7 years. Elden Ring came along and changed a lot of opinions over what is possible going forward.

FFXVI is gonna sell like 20 million copies over its lifetime, half of all PS5 owners are going to buy this game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Didn't 15 turn a profit in its first week

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also Bravely Default kicks rear end, someone poo poo on it earlier and I just wanted to say they're wrong. Game was a blast.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

FFXV, despite being a mess and releasing at the tail end of a period of declining market relevance for the series, was one of the most financially successful FF releases of all time and along with the slow rehabilitation of FFXIV pretty much saved the series. XV sold more than 10 million copies, which is decent. We no longer live at a moment of decline for Japanese rpgs however, and the profile for Square-Enix titles has changed quite a bit in the last 7 years. Elden Ring came along and changed a lot of opinions over what is possible going forward.

FFXVI is gonna sell like 20 million copies over its lifetime, half of all PS5 owners are going to buy this game.

Sales aren't everything. As a Metal Gear Solid fan for over twenty years, I know MGS3 sold half as much as MGS2. And yet which game was more beloved and is still raved about to this day and which game had a frothing hatred for the first decade of its lifetime? The game was so despised the next game went out of its way to mock it and belittle it repeatedly.

FFXV can sell as much as it wants. It doesn't mean it made any real impression on gamers. It came, it had its five minutes, it went. It in no way has maintained its legacy like FFVI or VII or X.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sure because FFXV was kinda mid. If FFXVI is not mid it will likely be perceived as a bigger deal by people talking on twitter or whatever.

FFVIIR was an action game and had a very positive reception, while name recognition helped a lot I don't think it being an action rpg hurt it as much as some losers wanted to think it would. I don't think a change in genre will hurt the ff brand as much as you think

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Noctis was in the top 20 characters in that December JP poll and everyone fondly remembers coming up with new resuhpees, photos and cup noodle along other things (like Jared), it has more cultural prominence than 12 or 13.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ff fans were not fans bc of the turn based combat, but bc they wanted to play long rpgs and watch melodramatic cutscenes. And ff has never stopped delivering on those fronts

well also the music is goated

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't 15 turn a profit in its first week

It broke even in 24 hours 'shipping' 5 million copies in that early window, but took another 6 years to sell the other 5 mil, and the stats are probably massaged a bit. Those numbers are good but kinda niche considering budget/marketing, like on the level with the average FROM title, not what you would expect from a longstanding cultural icon that absolutely dominated the end of the 3D golden age. But that's because FF sales didn't really grow apace with the expansion of the videogame market between 2004-2014.

FF7R did XV's numbers in a fraction of the time and launched during the onset of a pandemic on a single platform. So I would say that the series is on the uptick. That said, I would love to know what 7R's lifetime sales look like.

Like I think I'm probably being somewhat generous to the upcoming XVI sales, but it's been a long rear end time since a game of its stature has released in such a privileged position as an exclusive. I think it's going to do extremely well both critically and commercially.

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXV can sell as much as it wants. It doesn't mean it made any real impression on gamers. It came, it had its five minutes, it went. It in no way has maintained its legacy like FFVI or VII or X.

Noctis is in Tekken.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sure because FFXV was kinda mid. If FFXVI is not mid it will likely be perceived as a bigger deal by people talking on twitter or whatever.

FFVIIR was an action game and had a very positive reception, while name recognition helped a lot I don't think it being an action rpg hurt it as much as some losers wanted to think it would. I don't think a change in genre will hurt the ff brand as much as you think

I did not say it would flop, maybe just kinda come and go. But if Square wants a certified classic and it doesn't end up being that...I dunno, maybe it would prompt a change in direction.

Or not. Or maybe it will be an instant classic. We'll find out soon enough.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Noctis was in the top 20 characters in that December JP poll and everyone fondly remembers coming up with new resuhpees, photos and cup noodle along other things (like Jared), it has more cultural prominence than 12 or 13.

Well, XII is in the same "it came, it sold well, it went" wagon. And XIII, as we discussed recently, came out in a time very inhospitable to JRPGs. XV with the photos and Cup Noodles and all that, it definitely knew what it was doing to leave an impression with today's gaming audience. You're totally right that if you wanna spout off some memes, XV delivers way more than XII or XIII. But I'm not sure if that really translates into it being a massively beloved game. I've never seen it place super high in any poll.

But I can just swap XV out for XII. All I was trying to say is "this game came out, it did well, but had no lasting impact."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well I agree its better than those 2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe the answer is that both turn-based combat and a good story are why people liked the games.

Regardless, the fact this comes up so much can only be a good thing. It drives home to the devs that we want FF to be turn-based again. Maybe they'll listen. I suspect FFXVI's success or failure will be a key to this.

The pure turn based combat was easily the worst thing about the old games, introducing atb was the best thing the series did to make the games fun to play (along with jobs).

Also there is no "we" get over yourself you pompous prick

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

The pure turn based combat was easily the worst thing about the old games, introducing atb was the best thing the series did to make the games fun to play (along with jobs).

Also there is no "we" get over yourself you pompous prick

I'm sorry, did I start this conversation?

Strong Convections posted:

I really feel for that person that said they don't want it to be an action game.

It's not about the difficulty- I'm fine with action games, it's the lie that "well it was always meant to be an action game, it just couldn't be done on older hardware", which just... no, there have always been all sorts of action games. The FF fans were fans because they liked the turn based style. Over time they've been sneaking in more and more action and removing equipment/item/menu strategy.

I feel like they've tried to heat up the water slowly enough that they won't lose the core audience while they did an entire genre switch. Older fans are definitely dropping away/don't play the newer games, which is fine financially if they have a new audience to compensate.

I have never once barged into this thread and started talking about "turn-based gameplay when." If it's being discussed, I'll join in. So, yeah, there's definitely "we." Maybe it's only a few dozen of us, but it ain't just me.

Also FFX had a better battle system than any of the ATB games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A friendly reminder that FF1's battle system was built with the concept of American Football in mind, and FF4's ATB was designed to mimic the feel of F1 Racing, so really the early Final Fantasy games are more sports titles than RPGs.

Anyway, yeah I'd like a turn-based FF16, but whatever, there's plenty of other turn-based games to play and part of the charm of the FF series is they just do whatever the gently caress they want with each iteration. That doesn't mean I like every title, but it also results in titles I loving love, so I'm cool with them experimenting and trying different poo poo. That's what the whole series is about ever since they decided to make FF2 a loving weird-rear end SaGa prototype where half the world's population is killed off by a guy who literally conquers Hell. I'll probably look into FF16 if/when it hits PC and probably enjoy it.

Also FF16's sales are likely going to be heavily influenced by the install base of the PS5 more than anything, let alone what the gameplay is like. It's gonna be the first real big exclusive for that console and all, and mainline FF games do sell well generally.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 26, 2023

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

SE deciding to reinvent the wheel with every mainline title is why i love FF. Even if it ends up with games like 16, which has a combat system that doesn’t look appealing to me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
To all you morons whinging about turn based combat have you even played octopath traveler 2 yet?????????.?,,

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

*looking at all this ff16 footage how gorgeous and detailed everything looks, how sick all the animation is, how fluid everything runs* ...this game should be turn-based :thunk:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

People seem to praise S-E for being weird and experimental and every FF game being different spins on the formula, then in the next breath curse them for reinventing the wheel over and over again and hating that "this isn't the Final Fantasy I remember" or whatever.

If it looks bad, skip it, no big loss, they'll make another one. You have at least 15 other ones to play, all of them readily available on multiple platforms. Or play a different Square-Enix game. Or one of the hundreds of other turn-based RPGs with old Final Fantasies as a direct inspiration. Brand loyalty and nostalgia are mental illnesses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Stranger of Paradise question: does the trophy for completing all side quests include the weapon tutorials?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I will play every single final fantasy game whether its good or bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're all bad, but yes

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arist posted:

They're all bad, but yes

yeah but the most bad is your favorite, while the least bad is mine

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fridge corn posted:

*looking at all this ff16 footage how gorgeous and detailed everything looks, how sick all the animation is, how fluid everything runs* ...this game should be turn-based :thunk:

This but unironically.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Eikonic abilities" "Eiokonic Clashes" Yes Koji Fox, I get it, iconic, eikonic, etc. I GET IT YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING A PUN

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I love FFX's battle systems and it saddens me it never got the chance to shine like Press Turn or 1 More because "innovation for innovation's sake."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The rules are thus:

Cartoon or pixel graphics: turn-based okay

Realistic cgi graphic: turn-based not okay

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I had this game on OG Xbox and loved it. My tastes are questionable

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Final Fantasy XVI is gonna rule

source: my son said so

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXVI looks like what I expected future FF would play like when I was going through FFX 21 years ago. I think I just assumed the series would go full action at some point.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

SE deciding to reinvent the wheel with every mainline title is why i love FF.

Every FF is janky or broken in some significant way because of this and I think that's great.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Every time Yoshida has a successful presentation, demonstrating his ability to manage a team, and see through a project to its end, I picture Nomura in a dark corner somewhere fuming.

After FF7 remake, the thing about 16 that makes me really excited it the complete absence of any Kingdom Hearts bullshit.

I haven’t even heard the words “fate” or “destiny” one time! The story is not complicated for no reason, and looks easy to follow!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do hope the story is easy to follow for 80% of it, and then the final 20% is a complete rear end-pull of Clive fighting robot ghosts in the past, and then killing god, who is also himself.

”Landmark Discovered: Saturn” in XB1 is one of my favorite RPG moments.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 26, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Med School posted:

Every time Yoshida has a successful presentation, demonstrating his ability to manage a team, and see through a project to its end, I picture Nomura in a dark corner somewhere fuming.

After FF7 remake, the thing about 16 that makes me really excited it the complete absence of any Kingdom Hearts bullshit.

I haven’t even heard the words “fate” or “destiny” one time! The story is not complicated for no reason, and looks easy to follow!

Why would Nomura be fuming? Dude literally has the best track record in the company when it cones to releases.

Also directly from the 16 website:

For centuries, people have flocked to her Mothercrystals to partake of their blessing—the abundant aether that fuels the magicks they rely upon in their everyday lives. As the aether begins to fade and the lifeless deadlands spread ever further, so too does the struggle for possession of the final flickers of the Mothers' light grow ever more fierce. Yet amidst the gathering storm, there are those who believe that the legacy of the crystals has shaped mankind's destiny for long enough.

The first fully fledged Action RPG in the mainline Final Fantasy series. Clive Rosfield is on a mission to free mankind from its fate, and must use the Eikonic powers at his disposal to overcome every obstacle his enemies lay before him.

The tagline of the game is *literally* "Fate is written in fire"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 26, 2023

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Med School posted:

what kind of delusion is this

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Med School posted:

Because that's what I play Final Fantasy games for: a simple, straightforward story without any grandiose concepts. Real down-to-earth stuff, going all the way back to FF1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They literally marketed the ability to pause cutscenes and have access to an encyclopedia so you know what the hell is going on. This game is going to be maximum convoluted.