Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

the only part that really confuses me now is what the hell mina was talking about with her speech

Something about everyone consciously/subconsciously fearing their own weakness and that is why people form groups... I don't know about that. I think I form groups with people whom I share a common interest or are fun to engage with. I am unsure about conscious/unconscious fear of my own "weakness".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

on the fast scans i completely missed that shinsou only tricked machia initially with the voice change and then just used his quirk, that's cool-- i assumed he was just continuing to mimic AFO

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I just remembered that Brainwashing is able to activate Deku's mindspace in strange ways, so if Shinso ends up being the plot device that saves Shigaraki from AFO, I'm going to lose it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Justice for my boy, at last.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

oh jay posted:

I just remembered that Brainwashing is able to activate Deku's mindspace in strange ways, so if Shinso ends up being the plot device that saves Shigaraki from AFO, I'm going to lose it.

Same but like positively. Shigaraki breaking free because AFO can't help but monologue would be incredibly funny and good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Didn't Shiggy already break free of AFO by remembering his origin story or something ridiculous like that?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like they keep flopping between brand new person, AFO in control of Shiggy, and Shiggy overpowering AFO. It's going to pivot at least 2 more times before the end imo.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's AFO trying to take control of Shiggy, claiming it's a brand new person, and being wrong about both, because Shiggy doesn't want to get subsumed into AFO and sometimes can even take back some control. That's not flopping, the writing is consistent with itself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Brand new person" was a concept that existed for a one panel explanation why this ability that should instantly gently caress up his day didn't. Once that passed and another female hero was bodied, it went away.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kyte posted:

sometimes can even take back some control

That's what I mean by flopping. When the narrative needs it, AFO will smash someone, mocking them in a distinctly AFO way. Then the next chapter Tomura/Tenko will do something/refuse to do something, because the plot demands it. It is consistent with the explanations we've been given, but it still sucks and is boring.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wonder what Gigantomachia's brainspace is like...

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

How can Shinso Brainwash someone with no brain? Something's fishy here...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mulva posted:

"Brand new person" was a concept that existed for a one panel explanation why this ability that should instantly gently caress up his day didn't. Once that passed and another female hero was bodied, it went away.

The "maybe the fusion is actually a new person amalgamated out of both of them" was a thing for the entire Stars and Stripes arc, but was pretty unceremoniously dropped the moment it was over instead of alternating "it's AFO/it's Shigaraki" control battles.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kanos posted:

The "maybe the fusion is actually a new person amalgamated out of both of them" was a thing for the entire Stars and Stripes arc, but was pretty unceremoniously dropped the moment it was over instead of alternating "it's AFO/it's Shigaraki" control battles.

you just said the same thing the other guy did just in a slightly different way

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I feel like I must've missed something cause I def remember Mina being there for Gigantomachia and being sad Midnight died but I don't remember her having this character arc after that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

you just said the same thing the other guy did just in a slightly different way

It wasn't a one panel thing, the manga ran with it for a fair while, certainly long enough for someone to think it was actually a thing instead of a pump and dump.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5826/my-hero-academia-chapter-384?&date=31-3-2023-10

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I liked the little cameo from some of the movie characters at the end there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got a good laugh at the shadowy figure of the President of the United States.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Got a good laugh at the shadowy figure of the President of the United States.

I assume that it's for dramatic effect, but I like to think that's apart of his quirk and he just looks like that all the time.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Deus ex Machia. So much story agency is tied up in AfO they had to have him talk no jutsu Machia into joining the heroes for them.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Rhonne posted:

I assume that it's for dramatic effect, but I like to think that's apart of his quirk and he just looks like that all the time.

This must be that “Dark Brandon” I’ve been hearing about.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Rhonne posted:

The power of their quirk「Shadow President」

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I can't believe it, what an utter asspull. Jentle???

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m very confused. is one of these characters Gentle in disguise? Did these other characters steal his youtube password?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In terms of minor characters coming back for their moment, two different reporters from like a single panel suddenly showing up to declare they've been inspired to not be tabloid media caricatures any more is a weird one.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i really don't understand horikoshi's fixation on the news and social media in this final stretch. like i know it's come up throughout the comic before but it never really coalesced into an actual theme or storyline so i just don't really get how i'm supposed to feel about this payoff.

also obviously there's a cultural context issue here but yeesh i have zero appetite for this sort of surface level "fake news/clickbait bad, real journalism good" poo poo

also if you're really going to insist on some nonsense "gigantomachia fighting against AFO of his own volition now because reasons" thing, why not just tie that to mina's complete nonsense speech last chapter. these abbreviated, zero-context character beats could at least have been used to reinforce each other.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 31, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think it's intended to be a callback to All Might's debut. Early on, there was a lot of focus on All Might's "I AM HERE" video and how it established him as a legend; I think the intent here is that this is supposed to everyone's "I AM HERE" moment.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What if Horikoshi was actually Neil Breen? That'd explain some stuff

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Valentin posted:

i really don't understand horikoshi's fixation on the news and social media in this final stretch.

Hmm why would a manga author make "social media can really hurt people's feelings, y'know" a plot point?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean Deku's inspiring act was watching All Might's video in the first place, it's just a part of the world and storytelling, hell "The media reported/covered up/did this" is like... constant. And it's not even like that here, again Western Comics are a huge inspiration, would anyone like to recall what Clark Kent's profession is? What did Peter Parker take pictures for JJJ for?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Onmi posted:

What did Peter Parker take pictures for JJJ for?

Rent money, I imagine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I’m very confused. is one of these characters Gentle in disguise? Did these other characters steal his youtube password?
My understanding: La Brava was always running Gentle's Youtube channel and is using it as the vessel for the livestreaming here. Even if he goes back to prison, Gentle is going to have the most views... ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nessus posted:

My understanding: La Brava was always running Gentle's Youtube channel and is using it as the vessel for the livestreaming here. Even if he goes back to prison, Gentle is going to have the most views... ever.

20,000 views for the fate of Japan seems kinda low.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Maybe there's just less people overall thanks to AFO's reign

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the rest of the world is as checked out as we are

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The jump from 7k to 20k in a single panel, coupled with the speed lines, probably means it was rapidly gaining views

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
No, but seriously, for all the asspull and "Oh my god these one-shot reporters are sooo important." or whatever... no Media and the impact it has on society and coverage of the hero world is something built into the series from the first chapter, nearly every arc concludes by talking about the societal impact in the media of various heroes and the various events that happen, several of the key driving factors of the series are youtube videos from All Might's debut to Stain's speech, the depiction of impactful events, of hey we need to cover up how these teenagers did a thing, hey we need to stop comparing Endeavour to All Might because it doesn't foster a healthy society mentality, how the government will pretend poo poo isn't happening and try to control the media narrative.

You can complain that like "Oh these reporters we saw once I can't believe they're coming back now," But like... there's a reason they kept going on about the public perception of heroes and the branding and media and it wasn't just a critique on heroism as a job and popularity contest, but also a very realistic showcase of how important that stuff is and was to public perception and public safety. Endeavour struggled because he formulated a bad image, All Might succeeded because he formulated a positive one, Stain is responsible for half of the major villains in this series because of a scathing critique, one which Shigaraki hijacked for his own message. The Sports Festival was entirely about the public perception of up-and-coming heroes, Deku a reputation for blowing himself up, which has directly impacted his presentation to the public throughout the series.

All the complaints you can have, feeling this is rushed, not liking it are irrelevant because no this is in the series DNA, it has not been subtle.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Onmi posted:

You can complain that like "Oh these reporters we saw once I can't believe they're coming back now," But like... there's a reason they kept going on about the public perception of heroes and the branding and media and it wasn't just a critique on heroism as a job and popularity contest, but also a very realistic showcase of how important that stuff is and was to public perception and public safety. Endeavour struggled because he formulated a bad image, All Might succeeded because he formulated a positive one, Stain is responsible for half of the major villains in this series because of a scathing critique, one which Shigaraki hijacked for his own message. The Sports Festival was entirely about the public perception of up-and-coming heroes, Deku a reputation for blowing himself up, which has directly impacted his presentation to the public throughout the series.

I won't disagree that media's been in the series since day 1 but this interpretation doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Like I don't think those examples are really accurate (Endeavor is actually really good at controlling his media presence, that's why no one in the media hassles him about his dead kid and domestic abuse, he's literally #1 in a giant national popularity contest, and a lot of his PR issues are the unavoidable issue of not being as strong as All Might; whether or not All Might can be said to have meaningfully "succeeded" and whether having a singular Symbol of Peace with a rocking media campaign was good is a core question of the manga, and the true core of his mystique was always being the dude who beat all comers, which had nothing to do with media skills; Stain is terrible at messaging and when the media spreads his police interviews, the net result is the rise of the League of Villains, which he hates; Deku has basically no meaningful public reputation until post-war arc).

Media's been in MHA since day 1, sure. But it's not something any characters whose arcs we care about interact with (in a way that this chapter pays off); media in MHA is basically beholden to AFO and ReDestro and the hero committee (sort of at random based on who's more important at the time to the story), and after that they chase clicks. So to come in at the end, with no intervention from any characters we actually care about, and have journalists suddenly go "rather than bad journalism, I'm gonna do good journalism" isn't really meaningful, because their behavior has always been fundamentally arbitrary, and nothing makes this individual change particularly meaningful. And on top of that, it's actually generating a lot of views and is clearly a subject in high demand, so it's not out of step with their previous behavior in any real way! And on top of that, it's not like the MHA media's issue was like...not showing the fights lol. The whole problem with Stain, per Gran Torino, is that they too faithfully and directly shared his message. EVERYONE saw All Might's last fight. The problems as shown go waaaaay deeper than whether or not they're putting Deku on the live feeds, which again, they were pretty much already doing. It's just kind of a nothing bit.

e: frankly I just do not think horikoshi has the chops to say much of anything meaningful about media and public relations. like, take reporter lady who got mad at endeavor. her crime is, what, getting mad at endeavor because her mom was wounded in gigantomachia's rampage and showing insufficient deference to heroes at the press conference, right after dabi revealed that endeavor is an abuser and hawks is a black ops guy? and now she's fixing that by...getting footage of Deku? it's just nothing.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I do not like that the big battle against the big bad guy is literally just everyone going "boy howdy we better stall for time until he self destructs". If only the person writing this could have written a villain that wasn't literally invincible and indestructible and immortal save for his own stupid suicide ploy. Looking forward to seeing how the fight against Shigaraki is going in a month. I bet that's going to be exciting.