Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Didn't the official translation used to spell it "ponegliff"?

Not that I'm complaining, it was dumb as poo poo.

I think there's been a few instances where the official releases keep flipflopping. Like Reverie was reverie then levely then back to reverie and then i think it was levelly again.
Ponegliff/glyph is probably in the same boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The art was really busy this chapter which made some things hard to parse visually, but am I wrong or are Kid's legs gone?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
What a good loving chapter. Kid got exactly what he asked for. I don’t think he’s dead but he’s absolutely DONE. Maybe he’ll make playground equipment for sick children out of scrap metal or something now.

Actually it’d be kinda neat if he throws himself fully into finding a cure for Killer’s condition and ends up on Drum Island as Dr. Kureha’s new understudy or something. Maybe I just like the idea of a broken, cruel guy like Kid finding actual purpose in life as a healer. :shobon:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Panic Restaurant posted:

What a good loving chapter. Kid got exactly what he asked for. I don’t think he’s dead but he’s absolutely DONE. Maybe he’ll make playground equipment for sick children out of scrap metal or something now.

Actually it’d be kinda neat if he throws himself fully into finding a cure for Killer’s condition and ends up on Drum Island as Dr. Kureha’s new understudy or something. Maybe I just like the idea of a broken, cruel guy like Kid finding actual purpose in life as a healer. :shobon:

I mean that is kinda what happened to Bellamy, went off to find himself and became an apprentice flag-maker

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Panic Restaurant posted:

If he gets to cure the SMILE sickness then Chopper would officially be cemented as the worst doctor in the series.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

MisterDuck posted:

This here's my new neighbor! He's a Paramecia.

No he ain't. He's a Mythical Zoan. Ain't ya Mr. Khan?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MisterDuck posted:

This here's my new neighbor! He's a Paramecia.

No he ain't. He's a Mythical Zoan. Ain't ya Mr. Khan?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I doubt he’s dead because it’d be kinda anticlimactic. It’d be one thing if Shanks finished him off, but Shanks just knocking him out so Dory and Broggy can get the kill doesn’t sound right.
On the contrary, I think one of the many things this chapter does is underline that Dory and Broggy are not exactly behind the power curve in this modern ocean, despite their isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if they can fight at Emperor levels. Their attack was certainly at least as impressive as Shanks'.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. It would be lovely if he found something more worthwhile to do.

I think there might be a few steps between being owned by Shanks and making playground equipment though. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a minor antagonist when the Strawhats get to Elbaf. But his trajectory is definitely no longer parallel to Luffy's, to say the least.

Ronnz posted:

If he gets to cure the SMILE sickness then Chopper would officially be cemented as the worst doctor in the series.
He came up with a cure for Queen's horrific virus on the fly in Wano, and successfully treated the whole country of Zou for their exposure to toxic gas.

People keep making GBS threads on Chopper for no reason whenever we see another impressive doctor. Chopper's still just a kid, and he's already world class! Lay off Chopper!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't mean I think Dory and Broggy are weak but more like if Oda was killing Kid he'd probably just have Shanks finish the job instead of having him deal the OHKO and bounce so someone else could get the final blow.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Holy poo poo, Kid you not

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't mean I think Dory and Broggy are weak but more like if Oda was killing Kid he'd probably just have Shanks finish the job instead of having him deal the OHKO and bounce so someone else could get the final blow.

I want Dory and Broggy to finish off everyone. EVERYONE

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Kidd just Yamcha now?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Kidd just Yamcha now?

I mean he took down Big Mom with Law which no one else in the story was even able to come close to accomplishing. Law is also likely taken out by Blackbeard so unless we're also comparing him to Yamcha, not really.

When you get decimated by one of the strongest people alive, after being attacked while charging a devastating attack ( one so devastating Shanks had to jump in to prevent getting his whole fleet wiped out) leaving you off guard, I don't think there is any grounds to compare him to Yamcha who literally never accomplished anything of note during the entirety of DBZ's or Dragonballs run.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Asuron posted:

I mean he took down Big Mom with Law which no one else in the story was even able to come close to accomplishing. Law is also likely taken out by Blackbeard so unless we're also comparing him to Yamcha, not really.

When you get decimated by one of the strongest people alive, after being attacked while charging a devastating attack ( one so devastating Shanks had to jump in to prevent getting his whole fleet wiped out) leaving you off guard, I don't think there is any grounds to compare him to Yamcha who literally never accomplished anything of note during the entirety of DBZ's or Dragonballs run.

Yea, the best analogy I can think of is if Yamcha and say Piccolo took down Android 18 while Goko solo’ed 17 at that exact point in the Cell saga. Even if Cell eventually came along and one shot Yamcha, it’s still a massive amount more than he accomplished in basically any arc (in actuality he was taken down by one of the joke red herring androids without even throwing a punch iirc)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shanks has one "gently caress around and find out" button established in chapter 1 and Kid just decided to press it. It doesn't help that while we got more time with Kid, Shanks just probably knows more about the civilian killings.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kidd did at least survive Shanks' attack. He was COMPLETELY hosed UP but he was alive... and then Dorry and Brogy went,"Welp, he was gonna attack Elbaf, gently caress that guy!" and finished him off, and well, what can you say folks, the dude got dunked on harder than almost anybody has ever been dunked on in One Piece before.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some kinda fusion between Vegeta and Yamcha

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Hakoku Sovereignty was first used by the giants 950 chapters ago. And of course the "don't point a gun at someone unless you're prepared to die" sentiment all the way from chapter 1.

One Piece is good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think you can find more characters who could beat Big Mom with Law's help than you could find people who could beat Big Mom with Kid's help

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

On the contrary, I think one of the many things this chapter does is underline that Dory and Broggy are not exactly behind the power curve in this modern ocean, despite their isolation. I wouldn't be surprised if they can fight at Emperor levels. Their attack was certainly at least as impressive as Shanks'.

Yeah, I agree with this. It would be lovely if he found something more worthwhile to do.

I think there might be a few steps between being owned by Shanks and making playground equipment though. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a minor antagonist when the Strawhats get to Elbaf. But his trajectory is definitely no longer parallel to Luffy's, to say the least.

He came up with a cure for Queen's horrific virus on the fly in Wano, and successfully treated the whole country of Zou for their exposure to toxic gas.

People keep making GBS threads on Chopper for no reason whenever we see another impressive doctor. Chopper's still just a kid, and he's already world class! Lay off Chopper!

Dory and Broggy’s attack is impressive, but not Emperor-level impressive. Destroying ships like this is something we’ve seen from Ace and immediately-post-timeskip Zoro, IIRC.

Didn’t Chopper have Caesar’s help dealing with the effects of the gas?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I think you can find more characters who could beat Big Mom with Law's help than you could find people who could beat Big Mom with Kid's help

Feel like its a pretty small list regardless tbh.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Didn’t Chopper have Caesar’s help dealing with the effects of the gas?

So what? A good doctor should use the resources available to help their patients, and having the person who designed the toxin there is a resource that Chopper used. It doesn't somehow make him a worse doctor.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think Kidd is still alive, and Killer. But his pirate fleet is done and disbanded. At best we'll see those two show up together trying to get something done with minimal resources, possibly try and kill Shanks still.

Luffy has 5 giants in his fleet, and they decided to name themselves The New Giant Warrior Pirates. I wonder if they'll clash with the old Giant Warrior Pirates

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shanks is gonna take this red haired, face scarred, one-armed man under his wing and show him what real pirating is all about.

Parties.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shoutout to Shanks' entourage being a bunch of colorful weaklings who Shanks keeps around because he vibes with them.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Funky Valentine posted:

Shoutout to Shanks' entourage being a bunch of colorful weaklings who Shanks keeps around because he vibes with them.
Maybe Kid’s crew can join now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kidd's entire career and reputation was built on being all aggro all the time to anyone in front of him. it was only a matter of time until he hit a wall like a formula 1 car with brake failure. impressed he got as far as he did!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also just realized something: it always seemed kind of pointless for the World Government to issue bounties ranging in the billions, like who is gonna cash those in?

Well, I guess now we have our answer.

E: side note, I'm really looking forward to the Straw Hats reuniting with Dorry and Brogy. It's gonna be adorable. :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I also just realized something: it always seemed kind of pointless for the World Government to issue bounties ranging in the billions, like who is gonna cash those in?

Well, I guess now we have our answer.

One Piece Odyssey also has the answer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Geo_AW/status/1640039705352761345?s=20

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Syrup posted:

Hakoku Sovereignty was first used by the giants 950 chapters ago. And of course the "don't point a gun at someone unless you're prepared to die" sentiment all the way from chapter 1.

One Piece is good.

Big Mom and Kaido also used a near identical attack together called Ikoku Sovereignty.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

kidd's entire career and reputation was built on being all aggro all the time to anyone in front of him. it was only a matter of time until he hit a wall like a formula 1 car with brake failure. impressed he got as far as he did!

This already happened in his first encounter with Kaido tbf

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think part of that was to show how in sync Shanks is with his crew/allies. Teamwork is solid, just like in the Strawhat crew, if not better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Shanks already won the fight solo. I just mean that I think if the story was meant to be "Kid gets merced by the Red Hair Pirates" Shanks would probably be the guy who does him in because he's already completely annihilated the dude. Instead I think the story is "lol, lmao, the Kid Pirates hosed around and found out. They're done."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The narration comments that this is when the Kid Pirates were destroyed, emphasis on the phrasing. Kid and Killer and others may have survived, but the Kid Pirates are done. I don't expect them to play much more of a role in the story, except maybe to deliver more personal warnings of Shanks' power.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 27, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Turned into statues for yasop to laugh at

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wishing Heart Pirates would get destroyed so Law can fulfil his destiny - Chopper's Assistant.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm wondering how Luffy will react after he finds out Shanks decimated his friend's crew. This is the guy who mistook Law's alliance for friendship back on Punk Hazard, so I think this might lead to conflicting emotions or even a duel between Luffy and Shanks later on, even if Useless Captain Mid is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Luffy has ever shied away from the fact that someday Shanks is going to be an obstacle for him, and on that day he'll have to take him down. His stated goal has always been to take down all four of the Emperors, and he's never said he plans to make an exception for Shanks, even though he knows full well Shanks is one of them.