Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm about 75% done redoing my bathroom, and I have a question about the countertop I'm fitting to purchase. It's a laminate countertop with a 3" high backsplash and a little overhang at the front. My countertop is 74" wide, because thanks PO, nothing's ever easy, and I can only purchase the laminate countertop in 6' or 8' lengths, so .. 8' it is!

Onto the question: I have an oscillating multi tool and jigsaw, but would prefer to have the long cut done on like a table saw or arm saw so it's Straight, but I'm purchasing the countertop through Menards online portal. Would Menards cut it there length I request? If not, is that like.. a service I could look for real quick? I'm assuming HD wouldn't do it for me since I'm not purchasing it through them, but... yeah I have no experience with this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You need to call them and ask if they can do custom sizes. They may not be able to for those in store pieces.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dick Trauma posted:

When I first moved into this apartment I remember opening the freezer door of the fridge, saw that there was no light and that the fridge had no power... and then I leaned in and took a nice big whiff.

That was a mistake.
Several years back my neighbor went to the queen charlotte islands (coast of BC) for a guided ocean fishing trip and caught a couple of absolutely gorgeous halibut. Something like 200lbs+ or some drat thing.

Anyhow, it got all cut up and wrapped for their freezer which he kept in the garage. He gave us some beautiful steaks which were amazing.

ANYHOW, his wife decided to vacuum the car and needed a plug in so she decided to unplug the freezer. Not a big deal for an hour or so, but it turned into something like 3 weeks before it was noticed. I guess their kid got sent to the freezer to grab something and promptly puked.

Yeah. He was absolutely thrilled and they got a new freezer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. If I can't do anything for her directly, taking care of things at the house is at least something tangible I can do.

Premium forwarding is a good call, I didn't know about that service.

Airing out the fridge and turning it off is a good call. The sump pump is in a small basement (like 8' x 8' if that) that's not finished and basically holds just the furnace and water heater.

I think she already has some lights on timers but I'll check that they're set up right. She also has a smart doorbell camera so I should see if I can get that switched over to give alerts to my phone instead of hers.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Shifty Pony posted:

I was looking at induction ranges and am probably going to end up getting a GE Cafe. it is a shame that the Samsung ranges are such poo poo because they are pretty much everything I'd want except for the whole "made by Samsung" thing.

I bought an LG last year and I love it. Physical controls were a big benefit and the price was good from Costco.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm about 75% done redoing my bathroom, and I have a question about the countertop I'm fitting to purchase. It's a laminate countertop with a 3" high backsplash and a little overhang at the front. My countertop is 74" wide, because thanks PO, nothing's ever easy, and I can only purchase the laminate countertop in 6' or 8' lengths, so .. 8' it is!

Onto the question: I have an oscillating multi tool and jigsaw, but would prefer to have the long cut done on like a table saw or arm saw so it's Straight, but I'm purchasing the countertop through Menards online portal. Would Menards cut it there length I request? If not, is that like.. a service I could look for real quick? I'm assuming HD wouldn't do it for me since I'm not purchasing it through them, but... yeah I have no experience with this!

Menards doesn't have the kind of saws necessary to do this in store. You could order a custom countertop. It will probably be more expensive than getting one of the in-stock sizes, but for something that simple not outrageously so, and you can be sure it'll be the exact right size. It wouldn't hurt to go in and get a quote on a 74" countertop. Then you'd also have a massive color selection rather than whatever handful of colors are stocked.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Home Depot sells custom sized composite engineered countertops down to the nearest half inch i believe. They have multiple different patterns to choose from. I have bought these twice for 2 bathroom remodels, one which was a double sink vanity. They also sell matching 3" high backsplashes for them. I would go inside a home depot and inquire about these, they should have pamphlets in/near their kitchen section.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Mine just arrived 2 weeks ago and I ordered it in November. Seems nice so far.

Four month lead time? :negative:

Ordering direct from GE is more expensive but gave me an estimated install for April 17th, so we will see. House currently has a glass top electric range which I absolutely loathe cooking on and I want it gone ASAP.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Johnny Truant posted:

I'd buy a circular saw and cut it against a straight edge clamped to the surface.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

H110Hawk posted:

If the sump runs regularly then you need to check it regularly as well. If it's an unfinished basement then that's as easy as stopping by once a week and making sure anything in contact with the ground can get wet. (plastic totes, shelving, you get the idea.) If it's finished then you might want to see if there is an alarm you can rig up or pay some neighbor kid to stop by daily and text you a picture of themselves looking painfully bored in the basement or something.
Gonna disagree with this advice slightly, and suggest that you not offer to pay neighborhood kids to take pictures of themselves in your basement.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spf3million posted:

I'd buy a circular saw and cut it against a straight edge clamped to the surface.

Viable, but takes care. It's super easy to chip up the edge of a laminate top when cutting like that. at least tape over the cutline and do a test cut on what will be the scrap section.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

broke a toilet at 10:30pm after painting our bathroom

that's all. just wanted to share. jesus christ.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat man eat some fiber

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Just had a tree guy come over for a quote and he told me that I wasn't responsible for a branch hanging over someone else's property/over a telephone line. The tree itself is on my property. I'm not terribly worried it'll fall anytime soon but that seemed wrong. I'm in NYC if that has special tree law.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Just had a tree guy come over for a quote and he told me that I wasn't responsible for a branch hanging over someone else's property/over a telephone line. The tree itself is on my property. I'm not terribly worried it'll fall anytime soon but that seemed wrong. I'm in NYC if that has special tree law.

Everywhere is different. If you're lucky someone from NYC can tell you, but you should probably look at it yourself to be sure anyways, before you find out it was in fact your problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How big a limb are we talking about, and how high off the ground? If it's at all accessible, I'd just ask the neighbor to let you cut it down and dispose of it. Regardless of your legal obligations, it's good neighborliness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

devmd01 posted:

drat man eat some fiber

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How big a limb are we talking about, and how high off the ground? If it's at all accessible, I'd just ask the neighbor to let you cut it down and dispose of it. Regardless of your legal obligations, it's good neighborliness.

Probably 12 feet long, 4" in diameter, and ten feet off the ground. I have a friend who's competent at chainsawing who could probably get it, just in an awkward spot and not particularly threatening anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Competent at chainsawing is not competent at pruning.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Competent at chainsawing is not competent at pruning.

True, but it's also an indestructible mulberry tree. White mulberries thank the lord

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Probably 12 feet long, 4" in diameter, and ten feet off the ground. I have a friend who's competent at chainsawing who could probably get it, just in an awkward spot and not particularly threatening anything.

4" in diameter is small enough that you can cut it down with a hand saw. Indeed I would much rather use a hand saw for that job than a chainsaw, even if I was well practiced at chainsawing. Chainsaws are dangerous, especially when you're up a tree. So get a lop saw or pruning saw, a ladder, and fifteen minutes of your time and it'll be done and dusted.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
The ask portion of the advice you've received may be important. Don't assume it is ok to chop off.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tree law is arcane and complicated, but usually ownership of the parts of the tree follows the property line so the part hanging into your neighbors property is their problem (unless they tell you they think your tree is a hazard and then it starts getting complicated). If you cut down a branch that falls on your neighbors’ property and does damage, you may be liable for that damage. A tree company’s liability insurance for that kind of damage is a big reason to hire a tree company vs your buddy with a chainsaw or yourself with a pole saw.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
As a homeowner who's home "owns" the fence that spans four of my neighbors (left, right, and two behind cause the lots behind my street are a little off center with mine), am I under any sort of...obligation to KEEP that fence? As in, would just demoing it be considered in the same vein as building a "spite fence"?

I have no desire to spend over 20k to replace it, or even spend maybe half or 3/4 that to do the work myself, either. But can I spend just maybe a couple thousand to demo and remove it and then just...leave it like that?

Why should I have to spend that much for fences for my neighbors? I guess the "diplomatic" thing to do would be to talk to all my neighbors and see if we're all willing to put in $5k to replace it? I'd be willing to put in a bit more myself, so Hell, knock their contribution to like $4k and I'd be willing to do the remainder. I mean, their choices are that, have no fence, pay for a whole fence themselves, or continue to look at and "enjoy" my busted-rear end fence that's rotting and leaning into their yards already.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 28, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DrBouvenstein posted:

As a homeowner who's home "owns" the fence that spans four of my neighbors (left, right, and two behind cause the lots behind my street are a little off center with mine), am I under any sort of...obligation to KEEP that fence? As in, would just demoing it be considered in the same vein as building a "spite fence"?

I have no desire to spend over 20k to replace it, or even spend maybe half or 3/4 that to do the work myself, either. But can I spend just maybe a couple thousand to demo and remove it and then just...leave it like that?

Why should I have to spend that much for fences for my neighbors? I guess the "diplomatic" thing to do would be to talk to all my neighbors and see if we're all willing to put in $5k to replace it? I'd be willing to put in a bit more myself, so Hell, knock their contribution to like $4k and I'd be willing to do the remainder. I mean, their choices are that, have no fence, pay for a whole fence themselves, or continue to look at and "enjoy" my busted-rear end fence that's rotting and leaning into their yards already.

Depends?

I'm in an HOA community and the HOA documents clearly call out that the fence/party wall and require owners of adjoining lots to to share the costs of repair/reconstruction or replacement. I cannot remove the fence

I'm not sure if you have any local law or ordinance about fences. If not you can probably just remove it. It's all going to depend though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So...should I drive an hour to pick up a Bosch 800 dishwasher? Honestly the 500 seems fine but nobody seems to have the 500 with the bar handle, and Best Buy has the 800 with bar handle as soon as Friday if I wanna drive 54mi.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You know in your heart the answer to this question.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

So...should I drive an hour to pick up a Bosch 800 dishwasher? Honestly the 500 seems fine but nobody seems to have the 500 with the bar handle, and Best Buy has the 800 with bar handle as soon as Friday if I wanna drive 54mi.

54 miles is nothing. You must live in the east.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

On the practical side, fences make good neighbors. And if you unilaterally remove it you run the risk of pissing off 0-4 neighbors. This may be your "right" but it doesn't make you "not an rear end in a top hat." At a minimum you should take their temperature on this before taking any action. Why do you want to take action around the fence now? Is it dilapidated? Falling down/hazardous? Just don't like it? Spite?

Are you sure it's 100% your fence? Like you've had a survey personally done, or at a minimum there are existing survey pins driven into the ground? If it's not 100% inside your lot (check local codes on what this means, there could be some setback/margin of error here, I haven't seen it but local municipalities number in the thousands) but if you unilaterally tear down a lot-line fence you can be on the hook for the entire replacement cost.

On a "legal" side - assuming there is no HOA your city (et al) might have a shared fence ordinance which spells out the minimum legal relationship between you and your neighbors in regards to a shared lot line fence. Often times this says things like neighbors must negotiate in good faith blah blah blah on style, size, material of the fence, plus the costs around labor to install it, and split the costs 50/50. You can agree to anything else really, but the important part is you agree on it, and I suggest you put it in writing. From there sometimes neighbors can compell you through the courts to split the costs on a lot line fence of some standard. Near me it's like a 8' wooden fence installed by a licensed contractor. If you hate your neighbor enough it can wind up as a lien on your title. My city for example has a template form to collaborate with your neighbors on to fill out, you both sign, and that's your agreement on the lot line fence, who is paying what, etc.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

54 miles is nothing. You must live in the east.

I've driven farther for dumber reasons. Would I even be able to get the box in the trunk of my car?? Guess I better investigate.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

I've driven farther for dumber reasons. Would I even be able to get the box in the trunk of my car?? Guess I better investigate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

What kind of car? The box is like 20% larger than the dishwasher itself, or at least feels like it. Mine had like 2"? of foam all the way around it, plus thick corrugation, plus some kind of faux-skid (it wasn't wood) on the bottom to sit on.

Short of a van (including mini-) or truck, I wouldn't bet on fitting it through the doorways.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

What kind of car? The box is like 20% larger than the dishwasher itself, or at least feels like it. Mine had like 2"? of foam all the way around it, plus thick corrugation, plus some kind of faux-skid (it wasn't wood) on the bottom to sit on.

Short of a van (including mini-) or truck, I wouldn't bet on fitting it through the doorways.

2000 Toyota Camry. Trunk is bigger than newer models but it's still just a Camry. A U-Haul will cost me a shitload because they charge $1/mile these days in addition to the rental charge. I'm sure I could bungee cord the trunk shut though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

2000 Toyota Camry. Trunk is bigger than newer models but it's still just a Camry. A U-Haul will cost me a shitload because they charge $1/mile these days in addition to the rental charge. I'm sure I could bungee cord the trunk shut though.

It won't fit in a camry. I wouldn't try.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You'd be better off renting a pickup from a regular rental place like Budget or Enterprise and trying to get as much "need a truck" chores done as you can.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

It won't fit in a camry. I wouldn't try.

I got a snowblower home with the trunk bungied closed and that box was 45x22x35. I'm only finding dimensions for the actual appliance and not the box but even 4" larger in every dimension seems potentially doable: 38x28x28

Edit: got a 12ft ladder in there one time too :colbert:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 28, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I got a snowblower home with the trunk bungied closed and that box was 45x22x35. I'm only finding dimensions for the actual appliance and not the box but even 4" larger in every dimension seems potentially doable: 38x28x28

Edit: got a 12ft ladder in there one time too :colbert:

Oh I am a huge fan of janky loading slap a flag on it (whoops it must have blown off!) and hoping everyone else is smart enough to stay the hell away from the insane person with mystery box hanging out of the trunk driving slowly down the road. Excellent ladder.

Dishwashers are fragile, very cube shaped, and otherwise dislike being banged around. Basically the opposite of a snowblower which gets you more length than height.

Lowesdepot often have trucks to rent. Not sure on mileage fees. At a minimum check that they won't deliver it for less than 2-3hrs of rental time plus gas and miles. A generous 20mpg in a truck (lol) is going to be 6 gallons of gas round trip which is $30 near me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not sure why Best Buy has the 800 available on the west side of the state for immediate pickup but completely unavailable on the east side. I don't need it for another two months so I'll probably try and see if I can just get one ordered for local pickup/delivery, or decide the pocket handle version of the 500, which is available locally right now, is good enough. It's already $250 more than the 500, I don't know if I care about the handle style enough to pay another $100 on top to gently caress around with buying it in another city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
My google skills must be failing me, or a product that seems like it should exist.. doesn't exist.

So I'm helping someone add an outdoor camera (nest, needs an outlet). It would go next to existing motion flood lights near a roof line / soffit. They DO make a nest camera with built in floodlights) but this person already has the nest cameras and would prefer to not re-buy this one.

I'm just looking to add a power outlet there, ideally to the light fixture itsself. I pictured something like a 'ring extender' that you'd put on first, it would have an outlet on the side. then, the flood lights would attach to it as normal. Ie something like this but with a built in power outlet on the side

Not finding that, I also searched for outdoor motion controlled floodlights (hard wired) that have an outlet built in. also cannot find. I just keep finding floodlights that plug in, which is clearly not what i want.

Curious if anyone knows what these may be called or if they shockingly do not exist.