Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcnj8KuAFOI

Gundam Build Metaverse, a three episode 10th anniversary Build miniseries

Give us the Core Gundam III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Always Sometimes Never Always up for some Build.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Waffleman_ posted:

Give Freddy His Own MS

Caros
May 14, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Surely they mean second anniversary. It just came out.

... It just came out. :gonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Caros posted:

Surely they mean second anniversary. It just came out.

... It just came out. :gonk:

We're the adults now.

You either die a child soldier or live long enough to see yourself become the enemy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

We're the adults now.

You either die a child soldier or live long enough to see yourself become the enemy.

Imagine how Tomino feels about this :thunk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on his current state of mind, IMO.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1640132995205013505?s=20

the more One Year War ace pilots they come up with, the more I appreciate 08th MS Team for being about pilots who aren't very good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder which gundam they'll pilot or if they'll be another squad of noble Zeon aces fighting for freedumbs against the meanie Federation who are upset about a little genocide.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I wonder which gundam they'll pilot or if they'll be another squad of noble Zeon aces fighting for freedumbs against the meanie Federation who are upset about a little genocide.

I kind of assume they'll pilot red Ground Type variants, like in the picture

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Models already exist for this, they're the stupid-looking 03rd MS guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

I kind of assume they'll pilot red Ground Type variants, like in the picture

As long as the noble zeon aces they'll inevitably fight get blown up.

I'm imagining that if they're in ground types it could be part of the push to retake California Base in late November/December. I know a few games cover that counterattack but California Base is enormous.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't California Base just a name for a whole series of bases along the California coast, rather than 1 specific base?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Yeah it’s basically the whole west coast. I know Blue Destiny and the back half of Federation Hooligans involve the attack on California Base.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I remain lightly surprised that Blue Destiny never got an OVA or some kind of animation. I get the title suit doesn't have horns, but its a painful wild ride that you'd think they'd be hot to produce but seemingly never have.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JWnorthstar12/status/1640342001542483969

jerid actually making it to the end of this is incredible. i think he may even beat domon given master asia getting stomped earlier in the tourney.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ninjewtsu posted:

https://twitter.com/JWnorthstar12/status/1640342001542483969

jerid actually making it to the end of this is incredible. i think he may even beat domon given master asia getting stomped earlier in the tourney.

lmao at the idea of a Kamille vs Jerid final

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It makes me a little sad to find out that Puru and Katejina's earlier success was probably in part due to botting.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Gripweed posted:

It makes me a little sad to find out that Puru and Katejina's earlier success was probably in part due to botting.

Their wins before running into WfM characters are in line with a lot of the other vote totals, it really is just the new show characters that were the flashpoint for botting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1640217133392220161?t=jmhi_-y2R1aC92_6hdw_TA&s=19

The Not-Build Metaverse is opening in October

It boasts an online shop where you can buy Gunpla, a function to scan existing Gunpla into the virtual space, and automatic translation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MechaPosadist/status/1640159189463883776?t=JlWSSsaGxoSSwzSzhdej0Q&s=19

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean, this one probably won't have a scene where the squad of space nazi waifus pray at the wreckage of the Hidolfr.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know that action choreography is hard enough with a handful of mobile suits and gets exponentially harder the more combatants are involved but I would like to see a manga or show handle mass scale combat with combined arms as opposed to the traditional Gundam style 1v1 duels or Ace vs Chumps beatdowns.

I know Igloo has the scene of the battle of Odessa where the ground GMs are deployed alongside tank platoons and infantry companies, but then I'd have to watch Igloo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I know that action choreography is hard enough with a handful of mobile suits and gets exponentially harder the more combatants are involved but I would like to see a manga or show handle mass scale combat with combined arms as opposed to the traditional Gundam style 1v1 duels or Ace vs Chumps beatdowns.

I know Igloo has the scene of the battle of Odessa where the ground GMs are deployed alongside tank platoons and infantry companies, but then I'd have to watch Igloo.

G-Reco has quite a lot of large, chaotic battles with unorthodox force compositions, and IBO at least makes some reasonably regular nods to combined arms warfare.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arc Hammer posted:

Igloo 2 tends to be bearable because it's entirely about disposable grunts on the Federation side rather than this earnest Zeon crew who just really wants to finally contribute to the war by actually testing a weapon that isn't approved for disposal via testing.

UC Engage also has a couple of animated segments of AEUG vs Titans in Augusta. Not the best action and if anything it's kind of counter to typical action in Gundam but it shows shields being useful and some really good grunts. Not so much on the combined arms though.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm going to admit something. I do not like that one fight in 08th MS Team. It feels like Norris is in a Simulator on easy mode while everyone else just fails to do anything whatsoever. I don't really buy the whole "Ace" thing if the only reason we can make characters look good is by making everyone else look lobotomized.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd do nasty poo poo for more combined-arms focus in Gundam, even if it was some IGLOO 3 situation. I wanna see a situation where infantry are skulking around the urban ruins spotting enemy mechs for engagement by mobile suits/other armored assets. More situations where infantry take out a mobile suit via ATGM traps. Put the other 80% of the military into focus for a bit where the arrival of a mobile suit or three represents a major turning point in a battle.

Give me a Lower Decks Gundam where we follow the supply corps and mechanics and the hijinks they get up to trying to keep these machines running.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
M*A*S*H, but in the One Year War with a load of medics and supply personnel at a field hospital mostly just trying to avoid the war. Cute guys and gals doing cute (and not so cute) things like pranks and drinking with the occasional bit of surgery or what have you. You could even personalize Zeon a bit by having them defy orders to operate on Zeon soldiers, who are mostly teens or press ganged young adults who really had no choice in fighting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

As said, Iron Blooded Orphans has a little of that, especially in season 1, where Mobile Workers, ships, and (in one fight) navy ships were relevant parts of the conflict.

One complication, in addition to the general issues with writing large scale combined arms conflict, is that making mechs useful in a show requires that they be obscenely powerful compared to conventional weapons, so increasing the niche for standard military hardware risks leading to the whole "why mechs then?" issue.

That said, the manga spin-off for Time, Be Still has very few Mobile Suits. Might be worth a glance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah IBO does have it with the little scooter bots that support larger Mobile suit attacks. But it feels the longer shows or timelines go on the more it becomes a case of suit versus suit combat. Season 2 of IBO didn't have nearly as many moments where we got to see the rest of Tekkadan pitch in compared to their fleet of mobile suits.

The trick with combined arms is finding a battlefield role for a mobile suit where it isn't an immediate trump card but part a complimentary machine. So far the best answers are either "it's space combat so who really cares what the machine looks like?" or the Metal Gear Solid 5 "my mecha can operate in rocky terrain to bring tank and artillery firepower to areas where conventional tracked vehicles can't reach"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did the mobile workers in IBO ever even do anything of note? I just remember them getting slapped around effortlessly by mobile suits whenever they were present, and Mika giving up piloting one in the first episode to activate the Barbatos. Well, that and the leader dude sitting in one Eugene piloted to give orders on battlefields. I haven't seen the show since it aired though, so I could easily be forgetting something.

I want to say some of Tekkadan piloted a few while assaulting space mafia Jesus' ship a few episodes in, in order to mask the fact they were sending in troops to assault the ship directly, but that could just be something I'm making up to fill in blanks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

As said, Iron Blooded Orphans has a little of that, especially in season 1, where Mobile Workers, ships, and (in one fight) navy ships were relevant parts of the conflict.

One complication, in addition to the general issues with writing large scale combined arms conflict, is that making mechs useful in a show requires that they be obscenely powerful compared to conventional weapons, so increasing the niche for standard military hardware risks leading to the whole "why mechs then?" issue.

That said, the manga spin-off for Time, Be Still has very few Mobile Suits. Might be worth a glance.

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah IBO does have it with the little scooter bots that support larger Mobile suit attacks. But it feels the longer shows or timelines go on the more it becomes a case of suit versus suit combat. Season 2 of IBO didn't have nearly as many moments where we got to see the rest of Tekkadan pitch in compared to their fleet of mobile suits.

The trick with combined arms is finding a battlefield role for a mobile suit where it isn't an immediate trump card but part a complimentary machine. So far the best answers are either "it's space combat so who really cares what the machine looks like?" or the Metal Gear Solid 5 "my mecha can operate in rocky terrain to bring tank and artillery firepower to areas where conventional tracked vehicles can't reach"

There's lots of ways to do this. Enough so that if you can't, I question your ability to really lean into world building.

1. Mechs are powerful, but also expensive hanger queens. So while deploying them definitively tips the tide of battle, most of the action comes down to more conventional warfighting because the mech is going to need two weeks of maintenance after two hours of fighting, but you also probably won that fight convincingly.
2. Mechs are psychological, but only marginally better than conventional equipment at actually bringing death. So they excel as a force multiplier because a mech landing makes conventional forces poo poo their pants because it's a 20 meter tall tank that uses a conventional tank's main gun as if it was a machine gun.
3. Mechs are versatile, so a mech division can slot in anywhere more conventional armor, airborne, and naval assets would be used. They aren't as good at getting in and out as an air strike, or for setting ambushes like tanks and infantry (hard to hide a 20m tall robot), but they can do all those roles reasonably well such that a commander isn't going to turn down a mech platoon.
4. Mechs are powerful, but like tanks require infantry support to avoid getting blindsided by other infantry sneaking around with the anti-mech equivalent of a Carl Gustav, RPG-7, or more fancy things like a Javalin or I-TOW.

To me number 4 is the most compelling because you can have your power fantasy, but also demonstrate that the machines aren't invincible gods of death in all conditions everywhere. In number 4, the mech replaces the tank, but there is still a niche for things like IFVs, helicopters, aircraft, artillery, and your other instruments of war. It speaks to a real lack of imagination to come up with a justification for mechs, then assuming that no one will try and invent a cost-effective counter to your mechs in the conventional arms stable. Or did they just memory hole the creation of man-portable AT weapons after the tank was invented?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Did the mobile workers in IBO ever even do anything of note? I just remember them getting slapped around effortlessly by mobile suits whenever they were present, and Mika giving up piloting one in the first episode to activate the Barbatos. Well, that and the leader dude sitting in one Eugene piloted to give orders on battlefields. I haven't seen the show since it aired though, so I could easily be forgetting something.

I want to say some of Tekkadan piloted a few while assaulting space mafia Jesus' ship a few episodes in, in order to mask the fact they were sending in troops to assault the ship directly, but that could just be something I'm making up to fill in blanks.

They mostly fought other mobile workers and provided fire support. In urban areas they were critical because you couldn't bring an Ahab reactor into the city if you didn't want to plunge the city into a blackout and piss everyone off. This went out the window when the Graze Ein showed up and everything went off-script (at least, anyone who wasn't reading McGillis' copy of the script).

They were also the in-universe 'conventional arms' to the mech's hanger queen status for most groups. Gjallarhorn and Teiwaz were wealthy and could afford large mobile suit stables, but groups like CGS didn't have that kind of cash. I'm sure there were PMCs that sat between the two extremes that fielded mixed forces to get more gun for their dollar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

They mostly fought other mobile workers and provided fire support. In urban areas they were critical because you couldn't bring an Ahab reactor into the city if you didn't want to plunge the city into a blackout and piss everyone off. This went out the window when the Graze Ein showed up and everything went off-script (at least, anyone who wasn't reading McGillis' copy of the script).

They were also the in-universe 'conventional arms' to the mech's hanger queen status for most groups. Gjallarhorn and Teiwaz were wealthy and could afford large mobile suit stables, but groups like CGS didn't have that kind of cash. I'm sure there were PMCs that sat between the two extremes that fielded mixed forces to get more gun for their dollar.

Plus, even Gjallarhorn made reasonably widespread use of mobile workers as artillery, crowd control, and rapid-response defensive units. They're the perfect machines for when you just want a wall of guns and armour somewhere pronto.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
In the setting of Gundam the mech is justified by the need for something that can launch from a spaceship in vacuum and then perform multiple military roles on air land and sea within the space colonies.

That's going to end up looking like some sort of robot imo not necessarily humanoid tho.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Eugene's Mobile Worker was also used to set off explosives to let the Isaribi pull a slingshot maneuver in the first space fight, where Coral bought it. They've got a lot of utility. They're just not much good in a head-to-head fight against Mobile Suits.

(On the opposite end of things, battleships in P.D. have much more success against Mobile Suits than usual for Gundam, but have reduced versatility, since they can't go into atmosphere.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://trafalgarlog.wordpress.com/2023/03/28/mobile-suit-gundam-red-giant-03rd-ms-team-chapter-1/

Here it is

E: Oh no the main character is a cute peppy girl I love her

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The gatling bazooka is dumb.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh no she's an idiot this is awful I love her.

I eagerly await her experiencing the tears of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Argas posted:

The gatling bazooka is dumb.

It's a gatling revolver bazooka missile shotgun

Hellioning posted:

Oh no she's an idiot this is awful I love her.