Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rereading the chapter, there's a sudden switch in art direction in some panels, when Shanks sees the future and gets serious. Suddenly the art becomes more messy, Oda starts some heavy usage of pure black which normally he does not do, and the panels start showing less side characters and spends more time zooming in on Kidd and especially Shank's faces. Shanks playfulness and kindness is also wiped off his face and he becomes a lot more animalistic, especially that shock face when he sees the future, you can barely make out his teeth due to the gradient, but it makes him suddenly look like a predator. I don't recall seeing any this type of art even during the Kaido fight (could be wrong tho).

I just love the art and composition of this chapter. It's perfect. Especially ending with Shank's murder-face with the text "DESTROYED" next to it. Wow.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Big Mom and Kaido also used a near identical attack together called Ikoku Sovereignty.

Ikoku Sovereignty was Big Mom's solo attack, seen a couple of times during WCI.

The one you're thinking of was translated by Viz as "Conquest of the Sea" but scans translated it as "Ocean Sovereignty". It's actually a pun though, so it can also be translated simply as "Destruction".

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/mplilw/whats_the_translation_for_these_3_attacks/

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

There was some film red promotional material that described Shanks as having the ability to block other's observation haki. I wonder if that would also imply he can nullify armament haki too, which would make Kid's defenses entirely useless.

Oda basically handwaves towards defensive armament haki as being a passive explaination for character's durability sometimes (Apoo during the raid for example) so if we assume Kid regularly used it to tank hits from Big Mom during the raid, it can explain why Shanks cut through him so easily while Big Mom did not. Yknow, aside from "Shanks is simply that much stronger" or "powerscaling is worthless" which it absolutely couldn't be :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Didn’t Chopper have Caesar’s help dealing with the effects of the gas?
No, Chopper used Caesar, a member of MADS, as a lab assistant. It was badass and Chopper is an awesome doctor.

Like, he's far from my favorite Strawhat, but the "Chopper is a lovely doctor" narrative is a bad one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really interested in how the Shanks/Kaido confrontation went. If Kaido thought that Shanks was coming for a fight I believe he'd run headlong into it in excitement at the thought that somebody might be able to hurt/beat him. I do like the idea of Shanks just telling him,"Yeah go ahead and make your move, while you're gone and the Marines are all busy I'll conquer Wano! :haw:" and Kaido turned back grumbling to Wano to get drunk(er).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am curious how the meeting between Luffy and Shanks is going to go considering the latter isn’t straight up evil like a lot of the other Emperors (though he does make some questionable decisions at times). Speaking of, what territory is the latter in charge of anyway?

I also wonder if they’re going to canonize Uta (assuming she’s still alive, the movie kind of left that purposefully ambiguous)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Larryb posted:

I am curious how the meeting between Luffy and Shanks is going to go considering the latter isn’t straight up evil like a lot of the other Emperors (though he does make some questionable decisions at times). Speaking of, what territory is the latter in charge of anyway?

Probably something that echos Oden/Whitebeard vs Roger. They'll go all out and hold nothing back. Then they'll have a party afterwards regardless of whoever wins.

Like there is no way they don't fight each other with the biggest smiles on their faces.

That's assuming they meet in some situation where they have time to act as they will. If they meet in some sort of Marineford or God Valley type situation then they might not have time for a duel like that.

Like Luffy is for all intents and purposes Shanks' protege, down to inheriting his will and way of doing things. It's not going to be a grunge match or something even if they are both after the one piece. Not that they'll hold back either though of course.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Interesting that Shanks is so especially good at observation. You get the sense that he's making the way for Luffy to be PK - I imagine he's chasing BB around the world because Shanks sees BB as a threat to the future he's imagining. The major outstanding question is what is this future and why does he need Luffy to do it rather than himself?

The obvious answer is that Shanks isnt a D, and BB is some kind of pseudo-D (an interpretation of what Whitebeard said) which makes him exceptionally dangerous.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mabels big day posted:

I wonder if that would also imply he can nullify armament haki too, which would make Kid's defenses entirely useless.

Yeah thats what Ryuo and advanced conquerors do.
Its how luffy got his punches to work on kaido.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Eiba posted:

No, Chopper used Caesar, a member of MADS, as a lab assistant. It was badass and Chopper is an awesome doctor.

Like, he's far from my favorite Strawhat, but the "Chopper is a lovely doctor" narrative is a bad one.

I thought that both Chopper dealing with the virus in the prison scene and dealing with the ice oni infections by rapidly reverse engineering an aerosolized version of a bioweapon he literally had just seen for the first time was awesome. That's just what a chopper fight looks like.

Without Chopper there the strawhats lost, even if he didn't directly punch dinosaur Mengele

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He did punch the dinosaur! And he appeared to hold his own with Marco for at least a few more minutes before Sanji tagged in.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chopper giving Queen the biggest bitchslap in Monster Point and yelling "I'M NOT A RACCOON" (and having the entire room react and apologize) was just :discourse:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

No Wave posted:

You get the sense that he's making the way for Luffy to be PK - I imagine he's chasing BB around the world because Shanks sees BB as a threat to the future he's imagining. The major outstanding question is what is this future and why does he need Luffy to do it rather than himself?

This is borderline text at this point.

He's been lowkey assisting for most of the story, from getting the fruit in the first place to fending off Kaido from joining Marineford. Clear answer to the later question is that he isn't as carefree as Luffy, so he can't be the "ultimate warrior of freedom". He's taken the responsibility of protecting all those weaker crews, and probably some other burdens we haven't seen. While they're both aloof, the Straw Hat Fleet decided that they're pledging to help him while he's under no obligation to save them. It's the whole "heroes want to take meat from the rich and give it to the poor, but I just want to eat all the meat" thing, I think. Shanks is a hero. Luffy is something Shanks can't be, so he's helping ensure he gets to become that instead of whatever brutal world Blackbeard is envisioning.

I'm still a huge fan that Shanks is the son of Xebec that Roger raised, ala' Garp raising Ace, so maybe that's a part of it too. Would be funny if Buggy is his brother.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Buggy is Shanks' brother in the same way that Ace and Sabo are Luffy's brothers, regardless of their parentage.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The crew will probably fight the red hair pirates at some point ala Roger and Whitebeard. But i’m gonna guess each crew has the others missing poneglyph. So they’ll hold a davy back fight to get them.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sefal posted:

The crew will probably fight the red hair pirates at some point ala Roger and Whitebeard. But i’m gonna guess each crew has the others missing poneglyph. So they’ll hold a davy back fight to get them.

I would love to see something like this after Egghead. A fun breather before the final push into the climax and an opportunity to showcase Shanks' crew and relationship with Luffy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elbaf is the Red Hair Davyback Fight

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Instead of the final Poneglyph Luffy takes the Robot guy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah thats what Ryuo and advanced conquerors do.
Its how luffy got his punches to work on kaido.

Kaido and big mom had these too though, so they should have been doing full KO damage to Kid too. Either shanks is that much stronger, or his ability to bypass armament haki is that much better

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Considering Kid was gearing up to use his powered up attack. I don't think he was using arnament haki.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

We saw Lucci bypass Axe Guy’s armament haki just recently

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This is borderline text at this point.

He's been lowkey assisting for most of the story, from getting the fruit in the first place to fending off Kaido from joining Marineford. Clear answer to the later question is that he isn't as carefree as Luffy, so he can't be the "ultimate warrior of freedom". He's taken the responsibility of protecting all those weaker crews, and probably some other burdens we haven't seen. While they're both aloof, the Straw Hat Fleet decided that they're pledging to help him while he's under no obligation to save them. It's the whole "heroes want to take meat from the rich and give it to the poor, but I just want to eat all the meat" thing, I think. Shanks is a hero. Luffy is something Shanks can't be, so he's helping ensure he gets to become that instead of whatever brutal world Blackbeard is envisioning.

I'm still a huge fan that Shanks is the son of Xebec that Roger raised, ala' Garp raising Ace, so maybe that's a part of it too. Would be funny if Buggy is his brother.

Considering all of this and that in film red the backstory plot that initially gives some indication of the red hair pirates being the same plundering rascals as the rest of the setting has the twist be that they actually sacrificed their own reputation to protect that of a little girls' so she could have her own life (also the fact that they showed up at all tbh); even though technically none of this happened it was the first time Shanks' crew really did anything at all beyond show up to stop a fight, and I'm sure Oda made sure all the characterization was consistent and ALSO you know the thing with sacrificing his arm for the future that happened in fuckin chapter 1 Shanks is definitely one of the most heroic characters in the story which means he does not have the freedom to do what needs to be done. and also I can't imagine luffy seriously fighting him because they've got nothing to fight over, they've got a bunch of the same friends and allies, literally have a blood relation between the crews! aside from I guess the one piece if shanks insists that luffy beat his rear end to get his poneglyphs for some reason, but that seems unlikely

mabels big day posted:

Kaido and big mom had these too though, so they should have been doing full KO damage to Kid too. Either shanks is that much stronger, or his ability to bypass armament haki is that much better

Did we ever see big mom actually using ryou? Kaido definitely did but big mom was mostly just absurdly strong and using her crazy devil fruit to blast lightning and fireballs at people

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Did we ever see big mom actually using ryou? Kaido definitely did but big mom was mostly just absurdly strong and using her crazy devil fruit to blast lightning and fireballs at people

Immediately after we see Luffy unlock advanced Conq against Kaido, we see Big Mom use a ryou/adv conq punch to OHKO Page One.

Edit:
https://youtu.be/ES_B50arEPs

Could be anime flourishing but I think I remember the panel showing her fist not touching Page One

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 27, 2023

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Yeah there's a pretty big gap between her fist and Page One's neck

I forgot how brutal that attack was

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another interesting foil between Luffy and Shanks that I just realized:

Shanks presumably made a promise to his weak fleet members to give them protection without asking anything in return, whereas Luffy's strong fleet members promised to come help him out whenever he needs it without asking anything in return.

Not implying that Luffy is weak by any means, but it's a fascinating contrast.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I hope Kid stays dead, and Oda better not chicken out on this. Actions should have consequences.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Another interesting foil between Luffy and Shanks that I just realized:

Shanks presumably made a promise to his weak fleet members to give them protection without offering anything in return, whereas Luffy's strong fleet members promised to come help him out whenever he needs it without asking anything in return.

Not implying that Luffy is weak by any means, but it's a fascinating contrast.

This is probably also a key part of why Shanks is trusting Luffy with the future. A pirate who comes to the defense of others is a hero, but a pirate who can inspire people to defend him is a King.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flair posted:

I hope Kid stays dead, and Oda better not chicken out on this. Actions should have consequences.

I mean getting your dream crushed, being firmly eliminated from the race for Pirate King, getting badly injured AND having your ship destroyed are all pretty serious consequences. I never get why people think “death” is the only way a story has stakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean getting your dream crushed, being firmly eliminated from the race for Pirate King, getting badly injured AND having your ship destroyed are all pretty serious consequences. I never get why people think “death” is the only way a story has stakes.
I'm old enough to remember hearing tell of someone thinking Sanji should just loving randomly die to establish the stakes for Wano.

But then we've already had a member of the crew who has died...

:yohoho:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh Eustass Kid cried the town
(How I wish I was in East Blue now!)
For twenty brave men, all metalheads who
Would make for him the Victoria's crew

God drat them all!
I was told we'd cruise the seas for Alabastan gold
We'd fire no guns
Shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on an Elbaf pier
The last of Eustass' privateers

The Victoria shook and pitched on her side
(How I wish I was in East Blue now)
Kid was thrashed like bowl of eggs
And Dorry and Broggy blew up both me legs

God drat them all!
I was told we'd cruise the seas for Alabastan gold
We'd fire no guns
Shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on an Elbaf pier
The last of Eustass' privateers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/PokemanZ0N6/status/1640522754070814720?s=20

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's badass

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How close is the anime to Gear 5? I know Hawkins just lost his arm but I forget what chapter that was

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Given the One Piece ethos, Kid would just rebuild from that and probably seek revenge. Kid becoming and staying a "broken man" would be more interesting than death, but I doubt Oda would write Kid like that which is why I am hoping for his actual character death since that is more likely.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

hatty posted:

How close is the anime to Gear 5? I know Hawkins just lost his arm but I forget what chapter that was

I think its like 20 something episodes out, depending on any breaks or stupid filler/recap episodes. So late summer.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hatty posted:

Anime is halfway through 1030, will finish 1030 next week. Gear 5 is 1044. At the anime's current pacing (and depending on breaks/recap episides) It'll probably take 4-5 months.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kidd is just another Silver medalist who got knocked out swinging at an emperor, the stories had a few. If he lives he might hope to be Nu Crocodile, but with his design I would expect Nu Moira.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy A. Person posted:

Kid becoming the next generation's Don Krieg or Moria would be an interesting spin on that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean we already know how Kid reacts to being insta-annihilated and totally embarrassed in a fight against an emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Kid's gonna keep going after Shanks, losing and replacing body parts with scrap metal until he Ship of Theseus-es himself.