Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Still no word on when it might drop then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bmac32 posted:

But she's not actually a Blue

Logain's actor put up a fun photo of himself after reading the chapter where Logain is healed, and I'd wonder if Sheriam and/or Verin's actresses would have similar moments of "oh poo poo, this is great; I want to share this feeling" if/when they read ahead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I started watching Money Heist based purely on him being in it and it's p good

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I started watching Money Heist based purely on him being in it and it's p good

In just going to give you some advice. There is only one season. Just let those season 2 and 3 episodes stay unwatched.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CompeAnansi posted:

Amazing. Can we get this in the OP for posterity?

My fav thing is that doofy dragon

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I always pictured Sheriam as Reba McEntire for some reason.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fauxshiz posted:

I always pictured Sheriam as Reba McEntire for some reason.

That's the night that the Light went out of Logain

That's the night that they Stilled an innocent man

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Hughmoris posted:

Holy poo poo

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Hughmoris posted:

Someone tweet Rafe please

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Still no word on when it might drop then?

The average number of days between wrap and release for Amazon Prime shows is 330 days. Filming for The Wheel of Time season 2 wrapped in August of 2022 which was 237 days ago.

Knowing this, we can extrapolate that the earliest probable release month would be June (93 days from now ish). I however, am going max pessimist in order to not be disappointed and am just figuring on November. A full 2 years since the first season :ohdear:

The 1st teaser trailer is released on average 62 days before release and the release date is announced on average 58 days before release so if it is gonna be June then they'll start saying so in April :parrot:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Isn't JordanCon in April? That would line up with some kind of announcement or teaser/trailer.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pik_d posted:

Isn't JordanCon in April? That would line up with some kind of announcement or teaser/trailer.

April 21st yes.

Highly probable they'll get a substantive announcement, like a major casting.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

They’re going to announce the show has been renewed for a fifth season, season 2 premiere still tbd.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

New Spring standalone releases before S2

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RandolphCarter posted:

They’re going to announce the show has been renewed for a fifth season, season 2 premiere still tbd.

Regardless of how far into the future this has been "renewed", I'll be shocked if this thing survives long enough to air a fourth season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Amazon shifted into Lord of the Rings so hard they completely forgot about Wheel of Time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Invalid Validation posted:

Amazon shifted into Lord of the Rings so hard they completely forgot about Wheel of Time.

How did that actually work out from them? I've only heard pretty tepid responses or reviews of it being okay, but I wasn't actively looking and it could have been a major success for all I know.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m not sure. From what I gathered it was fairly mediocre but a bajillion fuckin people watched it because it was LotR.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I honestly can't remember much of it past the first episode

It was very pretty and well made, it's just that it was dull.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just like the book, so at least it was a faithful adaptation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They made a big deal about numbers early on and then kinda clammed up about it. Obviously it was their biggest show for Prime Video but I think House of the Dragon beat it in overall viewership.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's very pretty and quite fun in places. It's just not a very good story.

Small wonder probably because it's adapted from notes and scribbles and rough outlines that were never intended to be a single cohesive story, cobbled together by lore nerds who don't seem to have much of an ear for drama. They put in dumb puzzle-box elements that were predictable right from the beginning and about as subtle as the Khan reveal in Star Trek into Darkness, and they try hamhandedly to manufacture reasons for the viewer to get invested in the setting's metaphysics in ways that make little in-universe sense and damage many key characterizations. It all feels like the work of amateur showrunners being given the keys to an infinite budget and not having any idea how to spend it.

I'm not down on the show per se, I'd very much like to see it get better with experience as it goes on and I want to believe the showrunners have it in them to grow, but it's fallen on its face in a bunch of embarrassing ways in the first season, which is a shame because in between the pratfalls there's a lot of fuckin' rad material that could have been epic in the right hands.

And ultimately it doesn't seem to have any kind of cultural staying-power at all, which is the main thing Bezos clearly wanted, his own version of the Jackson movies

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I really don't get why these amateur dudes are put in charge of these big budget shows. Or at least, I'd be fascinated to hear what the actual decision making process that results in their appointment is. The same goes for Judkins, who has a pretty bad CV albeit not as empty as the lord of the rings bros'. It's just kind of bizarre. I guess probably there are just too many shows these days, and not enough talented and experienced people out there to helm them?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the RoP case it was because Amazon was pitching the show to the Tolkien estate and they were putting up their pair of lore nerds against other studios’ seasoned writers who were gearing up pitches for like star-studded MCU stories that the estate would never have gone for. My feeling is that the estate being such jealous guardians and Amazon fine-tuning their pitch to the estate’s demands ended up biting everyone (including the estate) in the rear end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's very pretty and quite fun in places. It's just not a very good story.

Small wonder probably because it's adapted from notes and scribbles and rough outlines that were never intended to be a single cohesive story, cobbled together by lore nerds who don't seem to have much of an ear for drama. They put in dumb puzzle-box elements that were predictable right from the beginning and about as subtle as the Khan reveal in Star Trek into Darkness, and they try hamhandedly to manufacture reasons for the viewer to get invested in the setting's metaphysics in ways that make little in-universe sense and damage many key characterizations. It all feels like the work of amateur showrunners being given the keys to an infinite budget and not having any idea how to spend it.

I'm not down on the show per se, I'd very much like to see it get better with experience as it goes on and I want to believe the showrunners have it in them to grow, but it's fallen on its face in a bunch of embarrassing ways in the first season, which is a shame because in between the pratfalls there's a lot of fuckin' rad material that could have been epic in the right hands.

And ultimately it doesn't seem to have any kind of cultural staying-power at all, which is the main thing Bezos clearly wanted, his own version of the Jackson movies

The thing for me is it got to the battle in the village and I realised I honestly had no idea who was fighting, why they were fighting, what they were fighting over, and I didn't care either. It really, really didn't engage me. Which given that I've probably seen the original trilogy a couple times a year since they came out, is.... weird.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Don't think it's that weird tbh. Only an idiot will be automatically hooked into something like that on the basis that it's ostensibly set in the same fictional world as something else they liked previously.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sorta line the WoT TV show so far

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sorta line the WoT TV show so far

I liked the show so much I went and read all the books :confused:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Don't think it's that weird tbh. Only an idiot will be automatically hooked into something like that on the basis that it's ostensibly set in the same fictional world as something else they liked previously.

It was more a comment on the vast gulf in quality than anything else.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

pik_d posted:

I liked the show so much I went and read all the books :confused:

What were your general impressions on the show compared to the books after reading them?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Colonel Cool posted:

What were your general impressions on the show compared to the books after reading them?

I went back and watched it after finishing all books and still enjoyed the show just as much and am looking forward to season 2. It was definitely interesting remembering what was actually in the show and what I conflated with reading the books so soon afterwards. I do wish Elyas was in season 1, but at least he'll be in season 2. I also wish Thom was in more of season 1, but there's only so much screen time possible.

I should also say that I also listened to Wheel Takes' show specific episodes and with Ali's background in film I felt like that gave me a pretty understand of why certain things had to be changed. Obviously there's the whole fact that the books have just shy of 2800 named characters, and then covid ruining their original plans for episodes 7 and 8. A lot of things were changed though, given that the season was eight ~60-90 page scripts rather than an 800 page book and then bits of other books.

There were a lot of cool little things that Rafe snuck in, like Moiraine mentioning to Alanna that there might be a way to release bonds which came out of nowhere in AMoL. I got to enjoy the dramatic irony of Nynaeve telling Egwene that she needs to "trust the river" as a metaphor for channeling saidar, when Nynaeve literally cannot give in to the One Power for half the books. All of the Stepin stuff was very obviously intended to set the stakes for when Moiraine and Lan's bond breaks after she rugby tackles Lanfear through the Finn doorway since it's not possible to set things up with 50 pages of their inner thoughts spread out over 5 books.

I also liked that Moiraine and Siuan are more obviously gay rather than the "pillow friend" code words that RJ used. And Alanna's warders were also clearly bi, something that I don't think ever really came up in the books. And Rand and Egwene were actually loving because I don't think any amount of small town puritan values would actually keep two teenagers from doing that. It felt more realistic in the show. On the other hand, Perrin didn't need to be married and his wife didn't need fridging. It could have been a brother or something, and the whole Perrin/Egwene/Rand love triangle miscommunication thing was weird.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

quote:

Ali's background in film I felt like that gave me a pretty understand of why certain things had to be changed.
Had is pretty strong here. Fridgewife or drunk dad, whatever. There are just world building stuff that is totally hosed i.e. the two rivers not being isolated from randland at large or the horn having no buildup. They have not shown that they can write around their own changes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Can you explain why the two rivers being less isolated is bad?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Had is pretty strong here. Fridgewife or drunk dad, whatever. There are just world building stuff that is totally hosed i.e. the two rivers not being isolated from randland at large or the horn having no buildup. They have not shown that they can write around their own changes.

The horn literally just shows up at the end of book 1 with the dragon banner.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The horn literally just shows up at the end of book 1 with the dragon banner.

They talk about the stories of the heroes of the horn before that though. It exists in the world, albeit without much detail, before it physically appears.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Two Rivers being isolated is weird to me because in the books Thom shows up there to perform, literally everyone in the world knows about Two Rivers tabac, Gawyn is the biggest Two Rivers stan until one second of plot happens and suddenly hates Rand, and that's just off the top of my head. The Two Rivers being isolated is a myth.

Also Helga Grinwell has a Birgitte doll, which isn't anyone talking about the Horn but it is foreshadowing about the heros. The doll even protects peoples dreams, like how the real Birgitte helps Elayne and Nynaeve in Tel'aran'rhiod!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

The Two Rivers being isolated is weird to me because in the books Thom shows up there to perform, literally everyone in the world knows about Two Rivers tabac, Gawyn is the biggest Two Rivers stan until one second of plot happens and suddenly hates Rand, and that's just off the top of my head. The Two Rivers being isolated is a myth.

Everyone's heard of Tennessee Whiskey but no one goes there if they have any other options.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Can you explain why the two rivers being less isolated is bad?
In one statement, the proliferation of channeling/ers and the lack of mythology surrounding them. I can get into more detail tomorrow if I get bored at work.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 29, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

In one statement, the proliferation of channeling/ers and the lack of mythology surrounding them. I can get into more detail tomorrow if I get bored at work.

I think a book will always have an easier time with world building than a TV show, especially when each book is as long as these are. There is so much in them that not everything can make it into the show, if the books were shorter I don't think it would be as obvious. There's also a chance that something gets inserted later, or there was some small nod to this that's easily missed. If you're expecting Robert Jordan world building in a TV show that has to keep peoples attention I can understand why the show is a disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gah I'll focus on dinner after this one.

It didn't need to be changed and straight say destroys the kin as a plot. Not that I loved the kin, but it did. Also that linking with a woman doesn't guarantee burnout safety and and and whitecloaks and wisdoms acknowledgment that they can Chanel apriori and and.