Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Barreft posted:

He hates asoiaf fans so much lol

his best quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Barreft posted:

He hates asoiaf fans so much lol

I mean ... me too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Anyone who is still an actual ASOIAF fan deserves hate from the entire world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing that I am waiting for is for Leyton Hightower to descend from his eponymous stronghold and have a wizard duel with Euron Greyjoy.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i just want to see my good friend griff and his son young griff do something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WATCH JON START A loving PLAGUE

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Platystemon posted:

WATCH JON START A loving PLAGUE

shocked that grrm would make the gay pining guy superspreader

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ItohRespectArmy posted:

shocked that grrm would make the gay pining guy superspreader

jesus i never even thought about that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Anyone who is still an actual ASOIAF fan deserves hate from the entire world.

I mean they're better than Harry Potter fans, but only just

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'd certainly rather deal with GRRM than JKR at this point

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mind the walrus posted:

I mean they're better than Harry Potter fans, but only just

While they may both champion lovely media, to my knowledge GRRM does not devote considerable time palling around with literal Nazis, nor does he devote his money and influence towards the eradication of transpeople. Or even just applaud their death. And I don't think anything he's put his name on was literal blood libel?

GRRM sucks and is an Absolute gently caress but it's really difficult to overstate what a monster Rowling is and how loving vile Potter is. I mean hell, at least ASOIAF for all its hosed up values comes out on the right side of the "is slavery wrong?" question.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Say what you want about GRRM’s series currently ending in its main text with Dany’s account of diarrhœa, at least he hasn’t wrapped up the books with the main character pondering whether his slave will bring him a sandwich.

quote:

“That wand’s more trouble than it’s worth,” said Harry. “And quite honestly,” he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four- poster bead lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, “I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime.”

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

While they may both champion lovely media, to my knowledge GRRM does not devote considerable time palling around with literal Nazis, nor does he devote his money and influence towards the eradication of transpeople. Or even just applaud their death. And I don't think anything he's put his name on was literal blood libel?

GRRM sucks and is an Absolute gently caress but it's really difficult to overstate what a monster Rowling is and how loving vile Potter is. I mean hell, at least ASOIAF for all its hosed up values comes out on the right side of the "is slavery wrong?" question.

Harry Potter and Rowling both have truly awful values that make someone a bad person for liking them.

GRRM and ASOIAF at least, for all of their innumerable flaws and faults, understand the pantomime towards things like "racism bad" and "rape bad" and "you shouldn't have sex with children" despite depicting all of those things in a darkly adolescent way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
grrm is a harmless bro who wrote some really captivating books, he has a talent for gritty fantasy and I adore his writing mannerisms and FFS sometimes you close your eyes and you can really grok some part of westeros or some conflict a character is having in a visceral manner, he's the American Tolkien, pretty much.

he's also a fucker absolute, but he is no JK Rowling, when did GRRM ever give us cause to think he was anything but milquetoast hippie in his worldviews? the guy is alright, heck compare him to most boomers and he's downright progressive.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He is a bit of a creep for sure but overall a pretty harmless one, yeah

He wont finish those books, though

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Not to “both sides” thus, but I thought one of the main criticisms against GRRM currently was that he does indeed associate with Nazis and had handed off the keys to the kingdom to a pair of them as his assistants?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Linda is an embarrassing weirdo but really she's like the admin of his 90s era website and she helped him write some of his wiki books, she might be a nazi but she's a very Twitter kind of Nazi, like she has some meltdowns but thats it pretty much.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is a considerable difference between being a twitter racist and actively funding political campaigns that successfully repeal women's rights because you're afraid a trans person might benefit from them.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

when did GRRM ever give us cause to think he was anything but milquetoast hippie in his worldviews? the guy is alright, heck compare him to most boomers and he's downright progressive.

Daenerys' wedding night :ohno:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Fair enough.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You don’t have to even mildly defend him. He’s a shitfuck and that’s all there is to it. Fucker is rich as poo poo and does nothing with it other than feed his fat gullet and play choochoo with real trains.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I can't believe there's more than a dozen new posts and the Fucker is not dead/ published a new Mercy chapter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bone emulator posted:

I can't believe there's more than a dozen new posts and the Fucker is not dead/ published a new Mercy chapter

Yeah but check out his toy.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/03/29/dragons-dragons-everywhere/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's pretty funny how GRRM's dragons are pretty constantly barely above the intellect of a horse, while he embodies most of the spirit of what a lot of European dragons were said to symbolize-- rich, vicious douchebags who blight their land by hoarding treasure and eating too drat much.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I think technically his dragons aren't dragons, they're wyverns, because they have four limbs instead of six (four legs plus two wings for a true dragon) :goonsay:

I swear there was a neckbeard emoji at some point that wasn't :neckbeard: but oh well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Say what you want about GRRM’s series currently ending in its main text with Dany’s account of diarrhœa,
Really this is the ending the series deserves

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

I wonder how many years need to go by before a reboot of the show is done. Knock it down to plot arcs for just a few characters, rewrite ending for Ayra and a few others. Tighten poo poo up so Bran's journey is more central, or at least the twist at the end makes better sense. I wonder if would be engaging. Like are there really interesting stories in there, as it gets refined down? Can the Direwolves actually mean something and not get written out of the ending?

Rickon is endlessly ignored, and that gets played up more and more over the years.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kylaer posted:

Daenerys' wedding night :ohno:

That’s fiction inside a book. It didn’t really happen. He made it up.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Big if true.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're dunking on turds in a toilet lmao.

TERFherder posted:

I wonder how many years need to go by before a reboot of the show is done. Knock it down to plot arcs for just a few characters, rewrite ending for Ayra and a few others. Tighten poo poo up so Bran's journey is more central, or at least the twist at the end makes better sense. I wonder if would be engaging. Like are there really interesting stories in there, as it gets refined down? Can the Direwolves actually mean something and not get written out of the ending?

Rickon is endlessly ignored, and that gets played up more and more over the years.
Tighten up the narrative all you want, but the only consistent themes are hedonism and a retainer's class resentment towards leadership. It's a knotted blossom of cynicism that knows once it releases it'll smell up the place and look foul. Any attempts towards macro-sincerity are doomed.

It was fun when the story started because it wore its lack of sentimentality proudly and an used a sociology-driven plot structure to create a wonderful blend where you could be surprised but also look at plot developments as tragically inevitable, but the TV writer is always going to be a TV writer and even by the end of the "good" books it was already being driven by sentimentality towards its characters. That's its own kind-of tragic.

In other words the only way to do a remake/reboot/whatever is to fundamentally rewrite it.

Which is why it's going to be real funny when Warner-Whatever-they-call-themselves inevitably tries again for brand recognition.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It'll be Disneyesque Star War spinoff style poo poo all the way down.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

mind the walrus posted:

You're dunking on turds in a toilet lmao.

Tighten up the narrative all you want, but the only consistent themes are hedonism and a retainer's class resentment towards leadership. It's a knotted blossom of cynicism that knows once it releases it'll smell up the place and look foul. Any attempts towards macro-sincerity are doomed.

It was fun when the story started because it wore its lack of sentimentality proudly and an used a sociology-driven plot structure to create a wonderful blend where you could be surprised but also look at plot developments as tragically inevitable, but the TV writer is always going to be a TV writer and even by the end of the "good" books it was already being driven by sentimentality towards its characters. That's its own kind-of tragic.

In other words the only way to do a remake/reboot/whatever is to fundamentally rewrite it.

Which is why it's going to be real funny when Warner-Whatever-they-call-themselves inevitably tries again for brand recognition.

Simply ignoring all the material beyond ASoS and just finish the Stark/Targ/Lannister saga is the way to go here. I thought that's what David and Dan should have done all along.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is the book out yet

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Let me check

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What does your heart tell you?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I’m not sure this tv show really needed a book adaptation.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Was the Dragon House show any good?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bone emulator posted:

I'm still only about seven eps in, and... it's OK? Considine and Smith are legitimately terrific, nothing's been poor so far, but everyone's an rear end in a top hat and not in the fun "pick your favorite schemer" way, and knowing where it's going, it feels like it's taking a long loving time to get there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bone emulator posted:

It picks up near the end once it gets through its 8-episode prologue, yes. Up till that point it just sort of limps along on the strength of Paddy Considine and Matt Smith's phenomenal acting talent alone. I wasn't all that wowed by it and not much of it stuck with me after I finished it aside from a few moments, but it's not awful or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The best and worst thing I can say is that my conservative co-workers were all fans of it at first and completely dropped off talking about the show within a few weeks. It was still an enormous ratings hit, I'm pretty sure.

81sidewinder posted:

Simply ignoring all the material beyond ASoS and just finish the Stark/Targ/Lannister saga is the way to go here. I thought that's what David and Dan should have done all along.
Even then how do you wrap it up? Like I'm not saying it can't be done or done well, it's just one of those writing challenges that effectively asks the person to rewrite the story from the foundation up.