Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cut the fat, don't change the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't see how any of that has to do with the complaint about the two rivers no longer being isolated.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The horn just being under Agelmar's chair was pretty stupid but that entire last episode was such an unmitigated disaster that I just can't worry about it too much. I think the season as a whole (aside from the finale) was a solid 7/10 fantasy show with potential for future improvements, but they've got their work cut out for them in season 2.

It really comes down to the Emond's Field actors stepping it up and really owning the roles imo. Hearing that they're increasing Moiraine's role in season two has me worried. Making her the protagonist of season 1 was a mistake, along with the "Who's the Dragon?" "mystery", and further sidelining our main crew is only going to hobble the show moving forward.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

If you're expecting Robert Jordan world building in a TV show that has to keep peoples attention I can understand why the show is a disappointment.

Early seasons GoT did a lot better mostly by spending more time in locations. Like the first scene of the series is Moiraine leaving presumably the tower to go somewhere with Lan falling in behind like he's in the eye of the tiger video. The next scene is ladies in red chasing some guy who turns out is mad or hallucinating, somewhere. That looked like something cut from Legend of the Seeker

To be fair part of the problem is once fun times at Bel Tine end in the book they're just on the move a lot. But then it seems like maybe just spend a little more time in the two rivers and have some kind of exposition dump like the Padain Fain telling them what's going on in the outside world and let people talk about what that looks like

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've been wondering lately if there's such thing as generational pacing. When I watch old movies something I frequently notice is how slow paced they are. Scenes feel like they last forever and the movie as a whole tends to feel languid. When I'm watching very modern stuff I often notice the exact opposite, everything feels like it moves at a breakneck pace. It feels like they're rushing through scenes, trying to hammer high notes and then immediately move on. And that's probably exacerbated by the short length of modern seasons of TV too.

And then I watch something made from like the 80s to 2010s and everything feels just right to me, like they perfectly nailed the pacing. But surely that can't be some objective thing, that they just happened to hit on the exact right pacing during that period of time. It might be the case that pacing is just an acquired taste and we're in the process of transitioning out of an era of pacing that I happen to subjectively like.

But with all that said, the show still feels very rushed to me. It feels like it devoted way too much time to doing cool awesome badass in your face stuff over doing important character and setting building that'd pay off in the future.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Word on the street is: theres more changes in S2 than S1 :getin:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Goofballs posted:

The next scene is ladies in red chasing some guy who turns out is mad or hallucinating, somewhere. That looked like something cut from Legend of the Seeker

The Gitara Moroso prologue was shot but analytics say that if there isnt an action sequence within the first 90 seconds of a tv show viewers will click away. Thats how we ended up with the Legend of the Seeker cut.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
What's always kinda bugged me about the Dragon Mystery is that, really, EotW already has Dragon Mystery. Except we don't know it's a Dragon Mystery yet, (barring meta-knowledge) because we're focused on the Emond's Fielders instead of the more worldly characters, so it's more of a "what the gently caress is going on why is the Dark One apparently after these three randos?" mystery.

It just loses something with the change of scope and framing, imo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

All the DO jump scares were pretty sweet, admit it :laugh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I do not understand why they didn't just use the prologue from the book personally, which could easily have had some action packed into it with Ishamael trying to stop Lews Therin leaving resulting in a short magic struggle or Lews remembering himself murdering his family or something. Which would surely add a dramatic hook to boot. Seeing the incest followed by Jamie crippling a kid seems to have been what hooked a lot of viewers for Thrones, since it was a good mix of drama and unexpected brutality, and the book prologue surely has that too.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hopefully we’ll get some of that stuff as flashbacks. I still firmly believe the LTT prologue is coming.

Judkins said the cold opens will continue.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

All the DO jump scares were pretty sweet, admit it :laugh:

The best was him in the storm outside the windows in Perrin's dream.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hexel posted:

Hopefully we’ll get some of that stuff as flashbacks. I still firmly believe the LTT prologue is coming.

Judkins said the cold opens will continue.

I believe he's said it'll be filmed at some point, but it's most effective as the prologue to the entire story and really helps establish what the Dragon is and why people shun the idea of them throughout the rest of the story. As well as just being a really cool scene generally.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Regardless of how far into the future this has been "renewed", I'll be shocked if this thing survives long enough to air a fourth season.

The fourth season should be FOH/Lord of Chaos so I’d be good with that.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hexel posted:

The Gitara Moroso prologue was shot but analytics say that if there isnt an action sequence within the first 90 seconds of a tv show viewers will click away. Thats how we ended up with the Legend of the Seeker cut.

Then move the Tigraine sequence there and have us wonder who she was pregnant with from these teenagers all roughly the same age and make all their parents single or dead. If it was down to analytics it kind of feels like they don't have faith in their vision.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Goofballs posted:

Then move the Tigraine sequence there and have us wonder who she was pregnant with from these teenagers all roughly the same age and make all their parents single or dead. If it was down to analytics it kind of feels like they don't have faith in their vision.

It feels to me like some dumbass suit made that call and Judkins had already spent all his capital getting other poo poo he wanted to keep :shrug:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tsob posted:

I do not understand why they didn't just use the prologue from the book personally, which could easily have had some action packed into it with Ishamael trying to stop Lews Therin leaving resulting in a short magic struggle or Lews remembering himself murdering his family or something. Which would surely add a dramatic hook to boot. Seeing the incest followed by Jamie crippling a kid seems to have been what hooked a lot of viewers for Thrones, since it was a good mix of drama and unexpected brutality, and the book prologue surely has that too.

You're just supposed to watch Winter Dragon first

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pik_d posted:

You're just supposed to watch Winter Dragon first

This is always the correct answer

Zane knocked that out of the park

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

tsob posted:

I've talked to a lot of people who tried reading the series, but gave up because the prologue wasn't the most comprehensible thing (a lot of it doesn't make the most sense if you don't already have an idea of what things mean), and was followed by jumping to what seemed a completely different setting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

It feels to me like some dumbass suit made that call and Judkins had already spent all his capital getting other poo poo he wanted to keep :shrug:

yeah like, it's kind of just me being a rafe apologist, but I blame most of what I didn't like on business people deciding they knew best

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

silvergoose posted:

rafe apologist

Lol phrasing

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why on earth would you want to apologize for Rafe Judkins. Do you think he’s Jordan reincarnated or something?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I've talked to a lot of people who tried reading the series, but gave up because the prologue wasn't the most comprehensible thing (a lot of it doesn't make the most sense if you don't already have an idea of what things mean), and was followed by jumping to what seemed a completely different setting.

I've read an amount of fantasy books over the last 35 years that should embarrass me but that just seems like a trope of the genre in the same way introducing 15 characters and 5 countries that have all weird names in chapter 1 is. Its our alcoholic detective who is mysteriously attractive to statuesque blonds who might be playing him

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 29, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Lol phrasing

y'know it wasn't deliberate, that is indeed not great phrasing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Why on earth would you want to apologize for Rafe Judkins. Do you think he’s Jordan reincarnated or something?

No? I mostly just think he did a fine job, and it seems weird when a lot of criticism directed towards him sounds to me more like things that were demanded of him (fewer episodes, less time, producer notes, etc)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno, he’s basically done nothing of note so I wouldn’t really expect much from him without a fuckin miracle of a production team like GoT had.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

WoT was considered by many to be unadaptable for TV. Red Eagle had the rights since 2004 and did gently caress all with it except for Winter Dragon :shrek:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gnoman posted:

If you had the weird YA split-EotW, then Ravens kinda helped.

OTOH, Ravens is awful so perhaps the cold open is preferable.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

silvergoose posted:

Can you explain why the two rivers being less isolated is bad?

the main narrative of the books is a group of idiot hicks venturing into the world, getting amazed by larger and larger population centres, encountering other cultures, and eventually developing into dead-eyed but powerful wizards etc.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It seemed pretty isolated to me. They had some sweeping, cinematic landscape shots of the ride out :v:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can’t become Jesus if you are born a prince living above all the peons. Gotta have them simplefolk problems so you can relate to everyone when you become all powerful.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Started my first re-watch of the show and oof......it's much worse this time around. Just finished episode 3. It just doesn't feel like WoT to me. It's like watching a show based loosely on the story of WoT taking place in a different setting.

Everything looks soooo cheap and small scale. And looks nothing like my imagination.

There are so many baffling changes, omissions and additions.

It's rushed. Nothing has time to breath.

They have a lot of work to do to turn this around. Really needed the RoP budget and 70 minute episodes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That was my experience.

I had a great time the first time through because "Holy gently caress Wheel of Time on my television!"

But upon rewatching and thinking about it more I just really lost interest.

Minor things really irritate me, like why does Agelmar suddenly hate the White Tower? What does that add? If your channelers could wipe nearly the entire trolloc horde why the gently caress weren't they at the fortification....with knee high windows for some reason.

I know I focus on the last two episodes with those complaints but it's just all over the place. Sad warder episode is meant to up the stakes for Moraine and Lan and it's really well acted, but did you really need to do that when like Perrin is desperate for any loving development at all?

Also y'know, fridgewife and all that poo poo in general.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Perrin being underdeveloped and tangential to the actual plot is just being true to the books. :D

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

That was my experience. but did you really need to do that

Yes. The warder bond breakage thing is like, one of the most plot important things in the entire series. It has very strong implications for most of the main characters at some point along the story, sometimes at the same time.

It effectively kills Egwene, it almost kills Rand and lets the dark one win, it plays a large role in Lan and Nyneave's relationship. Warder Bond Things are very important in the drama of wheel of time. People who are baffled by why the show talks about it have just read the books well enough to internalize it to not realize it needs to be actually explained to people who haven't read the books.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It did they just didn’t need to spend a whole episode on it in a cramped rear end season when it means nothing to anyone at this stage. You could just sprinkle bits throughout season 1 and 2 and it would change nothing. I give it a pass cause it focused on the actual good actors they have.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's like 17 minutes of screen time.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Natural 20 posted:

Minor things really irritate me, like why does Agelmar suddenly hate the White Tower? What does that add?
This actually makes more sense to me after reading the books. If I remember correctly, he's assuming that Moiraine is showing up to tell him how to run his place after the Tower has largely left the Borderlands alone. Of course that's going to put his back up. He's been fighting the Blight his whole life, and he saw Malkier fall to the Blight because the Aes Sedai didn't show up!

Natural 20 posted:

If your channelers could wipe nearly the entire trolloc horde why the gently caress weren't they at the fortification....with knee high windows for some reason.

Because their channelers couldn't wipe out the Trollocs until Nynaeve and Egwene showed up, and Agelmar and Amalisa had no idea they were going to make that much of a difference until she felt their power, or if they'd show up to help.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CainFortea posted:

I don't see how any of that has to do with the complaint about the two rivers no longer being isolated.
The recognition of an AS and that her predecessor wanted to be one cuts a lot of book one character development of the women accepting the tower. They somehow square that with the dragon, and therefor a false dragon, can be any woman. If anything channelers should be ostracized more, not recognized and accepted across all Randland.

The tower is just be a gaggle of false dragons. Rulers have strong channelers, potential dragons, not aligned with the tower by their side. The whitecloaks just wonder about slaughtering both for fun, and are arguably just in doing so. It sure makes the moral conundrum of ball gag slavery come s2 be a lot more interesting.

The world, whether book or TV, needs to be consistent for an audience to be able to predict. This show seemed to have just gone full tilt into late Game of Thrones despite the series being complete. Until the books really drag it is a good season format. Unfortunately that could not happen since Tam's ramblings make it obvious who the dragon is. Too much development and relying on good acting. Instead we have Rands come to Jesus moment regarding choice already introduced and solved. I really hope it turns into say s4 being campaigns completely distinct from the ef5 but I would actually gamble on that not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The recognition of an AS and that her predecessor wanted to be one cuts a lot of book one character development of the women accepting the tower. They somehow square that with the dragon, and therefor a false dragon, can be any woman. If anything channelers should be ostracized more, not recognized and accepted across all Randland.

The tower is just be a gaggle of false dragons. Rulers have strong channelers, potential dragons, not aligned with the tower by their side. The whitecloaks just wonder about slaughtering both for fun, and are arguably just in doing so. It sure makes the moral conundrum of ball gag slavery come s2 be a lot more interesting.

The world, whether book or TV, needs to be consistent for an audience to be able to predict. This show seemed to have just gone full tilt into late Game of Thrones despite the series being complete. Until the books really drag it is a good season format. Unfortunately that could not happen since Tam's ramblings make it obvious who the dragon is. Too much development and relying on good acting. Instead we have Rands come to Jesus moment regarding choice already introduced and solved. I really hope it turns into say s4 being campaigns completely distinct from the ef5 but I would actually gamble on that not happening.

You're assuming that the Aes Sedai believe that the Dragon dying before the last battle means that everything is just great and the Dark One is defeated by default. You're also assuming that the Aes Sedai wouldn't want to have control the the Dragon if it turns out the Dragon was a woman. I disagree on both counts.