Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ayudo posted:

Just gotta build the whole offense out of option runs and go routes. It's worked before!

The Run & Shoot shall rise again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zay Flowers will go higher earlier than QJ that's my hot take

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

kiimo posted:

Zay Flowers will go higher earlier than QJ that's my hot take

Not a hot take

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Call this part 1 of the edge class. There's another batch of guys here in quick hits and then the true in-line DTs to talk about--probably just going to go to the DTs because none of the quick hits guys are that interesting to me. Unfortunately, getting promoted at my day job and preparing for TGG Jr's birth in September have thrown my workflows off a bit.

Edge

Will Anderson – Alabama
I’m going to start with a minor heresy—I genuinely don’t think Anderson’s as generational as his production indicates. There’s a really interesting trend in scheme/”serious” coaching circles right now around the fact that modern Alabama is getting away from the 300-350 LB wardaddy DTs as pressure sources in favor of grabbing high-end edge prospects, which fundamentally changes the way someone like Saban manages his fronts. If you watch 2017-ish Alabama, you’ll see that the down linemen are very different bodies and players than the guys who generate stats now. It’s the Quinnen Williams or Jonathan Allen who get described as “like trying to grab a big bar of soap” while destroying pockets from as close as possible to the ball on a core set of moves that essentially give them enough to guarantee their first contract in the NFL is a productive one. In response to teams figuring out ways to manipulate his coverage structures and move pockets at the same time, Saban started pushing new, faster edge pieces into his system. 2007 Nick wouldn’t have a LB under 270 pounds. 2022 Nick had an edge piece that’s probably 240-250.

Enter Anderson.

My first impression is that I’m not sure I’ve seen many guys at edge who just openly go this hard every single play. Even the highest end prospects tend to gear down at times when a play obviously is going away from them and will keep leverage without trying to make a play, and that’s honestly part of teaching DL—getting guys to recognize their spots and not make mistakes when there isn’t an opportunity. Will Anderson has quite literally never seen a lineman he thinks can stop him, and he’s usually pretty right! He turned that effort into some ludicrious production, albeit against mostly. SEC linemen in a league that cannot support more than like 2.5 Alabamas in recruiting where the lower teams are starting to suffer in the trenches. That said, his production, while reassuring, is also somewhat irritating to me when I think about his development.

So why do I find him so vexing? Because he’s a tweener, but not in the typical sense. Usually, tweeners are guys who are too small to play on-line but too small to play with his hands up. Will Anderson is tweener in the sense that his moveset and tendencies right now are inherently limiting for what he can and should be as an NFL player, and I completely blame the fact that Saban and Golding were trying to use him on the fly for this result.

When you have an elite power rusher, your goal is always to hit a guy when your power is maxed out relative to the opponent’s. That relativity is a key, because it give you flexibility. Can you move well at hard angles? Great, we’re going to put you in a position to twitch or stunt and attack from weird spots where linemen can’t anchor. Are you lanky? We’ll teach you the long-arm to go speed to power, maybe some type of two-handed chop or rip to clear out second efforts after. Are you shorter? We’ll make sure you can get under a T’s inside shoulder on power moves. Will Anderson does all of these, and he does them very very well, demonstrating that he is an elite power rusher who routinely wins by shoving the guy in front of him out of the way at the college level. There is, however, a catch here. Will Anderson is 6’4” 240.

I’m not going to pretend he’s highly undersized here, because he’s not. A prototype edge playing with a hand down probably should be 260-270 for his moveset. He could easily put 10-15 pounds on without me worrying, likely 20-25. However, can you still generate that power immediately in the NFL while you’re changing your body? If you can’t, you’re not going to gamble on the risk and you’re going to try to play more of a 3-4 OLB and stand up to rush.

My concern then is that he’s essentially never really had to play or develop the counters a 3-4 OLB does. He’s so powerful in college for how they deploy him that he doesn’t really have speed rush moves, His chops, bull rush, stab, and double hand rip all look like what a 4-3 DE does within the realm of winning with power. I want to see a genuine speed rip or chop that’s entirely about turning a corner without a T getting in his actual rush lane. I want to see him feint a power move and then use that fear to take the edge. To be clear, I don’t think that’s beyond him to learn in any meaningful sense—these are all more simple moves, but they require you to fundamentally change his heuristics for how he’s working because it’s always been about attacking guys, whether head on or an angle rather than attacking the space around guys. I 100% believe he will eventually do this, and I think it’s more likely to work than bulking him up, but we need to be cognizant of the fact that this is going to either limit his initial production or set him up for an initial wall where tape will teach teams how to play against him. He's fast enough to learn this, but he hasn’t shown up looking like Brian Burns or prospect era Von Miller yet.

As a run defender, the effort is unquestionably there. He shoots gaps and tries to make plays, but you can occasionally get him with misdirection or counter which isn’t horribly surprising for a guy you bring from angles. I also occasionally don’t love his tackling form because he gets there with his chest before he wraps on occasion which is a recipe for guys sliding off of you.

I’ve seen him compared to Von Miller—don’t love it because Von was arguably more specialized for the 3-4 OLB role at this point as a prospect. I think he looks a little more like Khalil Mack as a prospect where it at least looks like there’s room to bulk him up to play in-line while still keeping potential to use him as a speed rusher/speed counter guy on running downs. Watch Mack’s tape from Buffalo against Ohio State, and it looks eerily similar to how Will Anderson looks against a lot of his better opponents. I like him as a top 5 guy, but I think we need to be more honest about the fact that he might not be an impact starter until year 2 when you’ve had a chance to complete his counters and change his body a little, the same way Mack was in learning to play in-line better and not get fooled on misdirection.

Tyree Wilson – Texas Tech
Usually, when I do these, I keep a little tally on a notepad next to me where all I’m tracking is the number of reps I see in a tape where a guy does something that looks like an NFL-caliber play that would work at the next level. High-end guys will get a lot of these. Boom/Bust will have like 5-10. Wilson is very very odd for my extremely subjective metric in that, almost every time I found myself leaving a tally, it was for either a dead-on speed to power rush or a condensed field edge play where he fit a run better than some NFL guys.

Years ago, Tyson Jackson was a meme because someone drafted a 3-4 End high in an era where those guys just explicitly were cloggers. The modern NFL meta has changed that a little bit. When you go tite/mint front looks, you create a need to have DL who can comfortably crush 2 gaps on their own while also having the ability to go at a guy for pressure in the right call. It’s extremely difficult because what was once split across 2-3 positions on a defense now resides in 1. When I watch Tyree Wilson, I see a guy who fits the meta and has value there but is going to be limited by the positions you place him in.

Let’s start with the basics. He is absolutely a clean block shedder that understands immediately how to either redirect a run play target or clean up a play himself on the tackle. A lot of that is that he’s got extremely clean technique in stopping his own momentum while working directly against a lineman. That sounds easy, but imagine trying to stop yourself from walking into traffic when the cars are capable of grabbing you—disengaging while staying close enough to play and far enough to not get grabbed is pure spatial awareness and technique. I also really like that he has good economy of movement, where you see he flips his hips on a twist or stunt and gets all of his power directed quickly, which makes him an effective power rusher from an inside or outside shade.

The problem is that he’s an edge for a defense where he’s not going to be at his best playing at the edge every down. With Karlaftis last year, my big concern was that he looked like an ideal 1-gap power rusher who had a few moves to make things miserable for an opposing linemen but didn’t necessarily anchor hard enough to always play run defense or go right at a guy on a 2-gap because he was so dependent on leverage and dip and rip moves that he needed the angle and wasn’t just winning on pure power/strength. Tyree looks like the inverse, where I don’t really know if he has enough speed/quickness to really get around a corner on guys, but he’s so powerful as a head-on attacker whether from a straight rush or coming on a twist/stunt that I think he changes the math on defense for you a bit. Remember, every guy who can control 2 gaps for me in a front means I can have one fewer guy in the run fit. With the NFL passing and counter meta, that’s the difference between me covering Burrow/Mahomes or not. Tyree might be a guy at around 275 where you grab him, put 5 pounds on him, and have him just 2-gap endlessly and be happy with the occasional pure bull rush sack while he enables the lighter edge outside of him to stay cleaner and produce sacks. All this to say, I’m genuinely not sure if he’ll produce anything resembling stats, but he’s an insane supporting piece in his versatility and ability to blow up runs and occasionally overwhelm an OL who just wants the day to be over with.

If I’m handing out things to work on, see if you can work on his leverage and make him capable of going at an outside shoulder. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t. He jumps up sometimes at the snap if he’s guessing run and will play with high pads at times too because he’s strong enough to just force the block shed, so working on keeping his initial jump up from stance lower might help his ability to produce some too, even if what he’s doing nominally works at the moment. There’s just not much I necessarily think you can or should change here, but I also don’t see a guy on film who is threatening 15 sacks ever. Still a very good player.

He has some elements of Justin Smith to him. I think he’s the same type of player where he could be an okay true edge or an elite secondary edge with a murderous bastard playing to his outside and generating sacks the way Aldon Smith used to.

Myles Murphy – Clemson
Let me start with this—I fundamentally don’t believe Clemson’s developing DL as well as they were a few years ago. They’re getting some freakish athletes, and these dudes kind of win in spite of themselves at times. Watch his tape, and you’ll see a guy who just kind of mows over his matchup regardless of where he hits them and chases down whatever play he has to. So let’s talk about the athleticism.

Murphy’s weird because he got put anywhere from like a 4tech to a 7 on their DL, and he just blows things up when it’s an easily recognized play. Beat a zone block sealing towards the inside by ripping off an inside shade and going either through or around to a flat? He did both on tape. Release a block quickly and then chase down a RB trying to cut back? Yup. He does all of these freaky things where he clearly recognizes a play and gets his momentum going to it.

That said, there’s something off about either his processing or his redirection, and it’s kind of hard for me to tell which. When he gets optioned off or someone runs counter at him, he does not have a plan and will just guess his keys, often deciding too late where he can only affect 1 runner in the option space or picking the wrong puller to attack and then getting stonewalled when he tries to change. I’ve seen write-ups saying they think it’s his hips—I don’t see enough here to agree. He’s strong and fast enough to chase a RB down 20 yards down field from a bad starting angle. I don’t know that a guy capable of doing that is just stiff, not in the way that like Hutch was last year. I think he’s recognizing things a touch slowly in misdirection, and that speaks to Clemson’s aggressive rotation with their DL. They play everybody, for better or worse, so getting rhythm and recognizing patterns sometimes is difficult when you’re constantly on and off the field.

I do think he’s capable of being a legitimate standalone end right now. He’s explosive on the outside shoulder and powerful on the inside. I think he’s got enough in his hands to even 2-gap. Your goal would be to use him the way Michael Bennett or the Bosas get used and be like “man I hope you guess what his responsibility is correctly” while he comes at you from any of 3 ways. He’s got a really good long arm when he’s twisting or moving laterally, and his ability to go up and under or do some bull rush when he’s got momentum shows that he has some toolbox to work with when his initial plan doesn’t work. To me, it’s all about the ability to move on quickly when he either picks wrong or gets stopped—you have a plan, just do it. Maybe his hips are actually tighter than we think, but even then, you just keep him to the offensive strength more consistently and let him fight through traffic more to hide that weakness.

I like comparing him right now to JPP right now. He’s got the same weird explosion while you wonder what’s going on his head or if he just couldn’t do some things, but I see an NFL guy here, even if he never produces like a high edge.

Nolan Smith – Georgia
Let’s get on the soapbox for a minute here. Kirby Smart is the best and worst thing to happen to the draft in years. He’s the best in that he’s hoarding some insanely rare body types and athletes and having them do jobs and activities rather than dogmatically plugging them into a scheme, fit be damned. He’s the worst in that, I think half of his defense doesn’t immediately have a position when I watch the film. Nolan’s like the prime candidate here.

First, he’s an absurd speed/cut athlete. He has one of the absolute scariest first steps I’ve seen in a while where he not only looks like a 4.39 athlete on tape but does it while getting his hands and hips turned to bend while he does it. When you think of a guy whose entire game is just “missed me”, it’s him, and he does not stop even when a guy gets a hand on him.

Second, he reads run blocks better than most LBs at his level, where he can essentially freelance while staying gap sounds and close a guy at the edge at the last second. Think “Bad Technique” in the way Deion used to essentially play intentionally bad coverage only to close a gap at the last second for a pick.

Third, he’s always around a play, even if he doesn’t make it. If you put him at a 9 or wide-9, he inherently takes some pressure off of the guys inside of him because the TE/T have to be aware of him and at least stop the speed rush first. That’s immediate pressure right away.

So what bugs me? I don’t think he honestly has any idea what he’s doing with his hands beyond getting them up at first and trying to stay extended while maneuvering. In the way that Travon Walker looked like a guy with no plan and generational athleticism at like a 5 or 3 tech in the Georgia front last year, Nolan is that from a 7 or 9. There’s not really a hand counter there for if a guy actually manages to seal him in zone. There’s no real awareness of getting to a guy’s ribs as a second order move from when the initial long-arm works but doesn’t outright win. He doesn’t really finish guys off which will get him cracked in the league if he guesses wrong or takes too long to dip and go. My guy says he can learn it. His initial punches look more powerful than a guy who is 230 pounds. If he just figures out a chop, stab, or double hand rip to counter the speed rip and long arm he does now, he’s probably going to have enough of a counter available that he can do anything.

I’m also torn on where you decide to play him/if he needs to gain weight. Ideally, I’d want him around 250 and playing a 3-4 OLB who can kick down to like a 7/9 tech when we put 4 down, but I really don’t know if I can consider a guy who hits like he does with the power he does truly light in the rear end. To me, he’s the answer of how we would have viewed Micah Parsons as a true edge prospect where he’s probably going to get asked to do more in the NFL than in college, and it won’t shock me if it makes him better because he’s seen as a threat and able to move around a defense more consistently. Perhaps you call him Bruce Irvin as a prospect too, since Parsons is a fairly loaded comparison right now.

Isaiah Foskey – Notre Dame
Ah, time for some slander. Everyone who said he was a first rounder is absolutely nuts. I don’t care what people say about Notre Dame’s strength of schedule; they’re like every other team now where they have 1-2 games against high-end talent and then a bunch of teams where NFL players are not the norm. Guess what happened to this dude when he went against Paris Johnson? He got destroyed by a guy who could match his athleticism and get to the point he was at. They moved him over to Dawand Jones as an adjustment. Dawand bodied him literally on length alone, and Dawand can absolutely be got by speed rushers.

So what do I think is his problem? He has no actual power behind his hands. Like, he is a speed rusher who cannot long-arm for poo poo, which means he has to dip and rip or just try to essentially punch and turn. I don’t know what else to say, because it’s the only way I can really square the part where he knows a handful of decent moves to maintain some space but just cannot get into a lineman for poo poo. If you told him to bull rush, even just at a guy’s outside shoulder, I do not think he can win if a T can keep an eye on him the whole way. Maybe, if you figure out a way to lower his pads in those moments and win on leverage, he might have enough power, but I just don’t get it man.

So what do you do with him? I think he’s a 3-4 OLB and that’s it. He doesn’t have the juice to ever play inside of like a 5 tech and probably shouldn’t be any closer than a 7. He’s absolutely explosive on his first step and ability to turn, so if you can pair him with a DE who helps keep him clean, I like his tackling technique and ability to get to speed well. He just is leaking power, and it doesn’t matter what moves you have when you lose against the highest end talent.

Right now, I think he’s Randy Gregory. He’s not going to produce without significant DL talent next to him.

Quick Hits

Keion White - GT
Deeply hilarious project who has no idea how to use his hands yet. I'd compare him to like Ziggy Ansah or someone along those lines where he somehow just moves dudes out of his way with just his legs. His hands look like a 50 year old dad playing Bop-It, and he got stoned by extremely mediocre ACC tackles at times with it, but he has legitimate pro bowl upside if someone ever teaches him how to use his hands and detach his upper body from treating things like a blocking sled.

Lukas Van Ness - Iowa
Kinda weird for an Iowa guy where he doesn't always recognize how far a zone block is going or if he's about to get doubled on counter, but he has a lot of clean reps where he makes decent plays once in position. Get him repped at one spot, and get him working on using pass rush moves from more than one alignment. He moves in space well, and it's super bizarre for a Kirk guy to have like 1 move for 1 alignment like this but just kind of make it work from a length/strength combo. He plays hard every snap so if you have a high end SLB or Rush LB to put outside of him, maybe simplify his role for a while and work on getting him caught up, because he has good bones even if I don't think he's the type of freak athlete who goes 10+ a year or completely changes run fits. Sam Hubbard.

Derick Hall - Auburn
I don't get it. If you're going to be a project with no plan or handwork, you better turn fast. He doesn't. He's a worse version of Murphy right now where he's a little tight at the hip so he can't even just dip and rip and turn a corner right now consistently or in the margins you need in the NFL. He's explosive forward, but that's limiting where you're counting on what...him adding 20 pounds and playing 4i? You could do that, but there's better versions of that guy every year. Payton Turner maybe?

BJ Ojulari - LSU
An undersized 3-4 LB from an era when those guys didn't have to bend the edge themselves as much, weird modern fit. I kind of like the idea of using him like a cheaper version of Nolan Smith where you let him problem solve edge run fits on the strong side and aim your rush from the weak side or use him only in a pass rush sub package, but I do worry a bit about him getting off blocks even when he is rushing. He doesn't shed right now, and I'm not sure how much bigger he's getting considering he can't long arm at all. Maybe you make him SLB, put a war daddy DE inside of him, and dare the option/RPO/run fits to leave him unblocked since he can farm TFL that way, but that's a very very limited use case in an NFL where running the QB is a sometimes food. Looks like Tim Williams from Alabama.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah - KSU
If I'm guessing what short guy who was productive on the quick hits will come back to haunt me, it's him although I don't see a world where he's like an all-pro. He doesn't show up with any real power/strength moves from inside of a 5 tech, but they kept moving him in because I assume their other edges were smaller and needed the space in passing situations. I think he could be a decent 50/7/9 tech guy where you play him wide and unleash him in situations where he can just clean things up, but I think doubling him will take him out of a situation so he's going to need a partner, probably on the other end. Great bend and move set to keep guys off balance, but he just doesn't explode enough to beat a double to me right now at least, which says you can't really use him as a hybrid 4i type either. Maybe he can put on another 10-15 pounds and keep his speed, but his frame's not that big. Very technically polished but I just don't know if the ceiling was there. Brandon Graham

Zach Harrison - OSU
Best run fitter of this tier, maybe even better than the first round guys there. I kind of see another Greg Rousseau here where he's tall and quick but plays his best ball moved inside at like 3/4i on passing situations where the speed and length just overwhelm shorter IOL. I don't think he's tight hipped so much as he just doesn't consistently bend since he moves a bunch and doesn't seem to get settled in the alignments. Throws off his reads too. He sees blocks well from the 4 tech out, but he got owned on draw plays a few times in pass rush situations. 3 DCs in his time at OSU, and Larry never figured out how to maximize him. I kind of like the idea of making him a Tite front guy and making some of his leverage irrelevant in favor of being a space eater with tackling range who changes run fits. Call him a taller George Karlaftis, without the benefit of being shorter to get leverage consistently.

KJ Henry - Clemson
Absolutely no twitch or explosion--good length but just gets mauled in situations where the play is going towards him. Hilariously underdeveloped for a Clemson-caliber prospect.

Andre Carter - Army
Tall, strong, zero bend or twitch to get around a guy. Got bodied by Dawand Jones on every conceivable rush attempt in camp. Played weak competition.

Colby Wooden - Auburn
A worse version of the other Auburn guy, got jerked around in his alignments and has the same terrible hands but sometimes from a DT position. A little slower, maybe a little strong? Weird tweener. Developmental guy who maybe you make into a Dremont Jones type if you fix his hands and let him go inside and out.

Not a bad edge class, just lots of "needs to play outside the Gs" body types with very few guys that I think are just matchup nightmares waiting to happen right now. A few of the developmental guys could get there, but good times if you play a tite front and want to move a slower guy in or take an OLB to pair with someone.

God help you if you want exclusively 4--3 Ends these days.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Seahawks are either putting a lot of effort into a smokescreen or are legitimately in on a QB and especially if it's Richardson. I doubt he'll be available for them but regardless I can't wait to see how they use that #5 pick.

https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1641886461128585216?t=8c6ed7KWOCbhEPGgl3i4WA&s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just read that Richardson threw the ball 69 mph

I'm in shock

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

edit - already in the thread, probably shouldn't be browsing the forums during a meeting

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 31, 2023

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

If it is a smokescreen it's working, because most of the Colts local media is now clamoring for a trade up to 3 to get him

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
At least the Seahawks have a good enough coach to take an athletic but lovely QB.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I just read that Richardson threw the ball 69 mph

I'm in shock

Nevermind, the internet lied to me

It's actually just 60

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

ShakeZula posted:

If it is a smokescreen it's working, because most of the Colts local media is now clamoring for a trade up to 3 to get him

Aren't they already picking at 4 and Arizona is basically a lock to pick Anderson at 3?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Lifespan posted:

Aren't they already picking at 4 and Arizona is basically a lock to pick Anderson at 3?

Arizona can trade out I guess.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I think they really should, unless they really feel good about Levis. Which I don't think they do. The Colts sent pretty much their biggest scouting guy outside of Ballard to Richardson's pro day.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It would depend on the price for me. Give up a couple of mid-round picks? Sure. But if Seattle or whoever starts throwing out multiple firsts I don't know that Richardson is necessarily worth getting fleeced over.

You have to figure that if Arizona does decide to help their division rival secure their QB of the future, though, that they'd charge them a premium to do it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I don't see any chance Seattle moves up. It is realistic if Richardson is still on the board at 5 they go for it. If Arizona moves down below 5 for another QB hungry team they will definitely go for Anderson. If neither of those happen, I guess Carter still?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

shirts and skins posted:

The Seahawks are either putting a lot of effort into a smokescreen or are legitimately in on a QB and especially if it's Richardson. I doubt he'll be available for them but regardless I can't wait to see how they use that #5 pick.

https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1641886461128585216?t=8c6ed7KWOCbhEPGgl3i4WA&s=19

Low key…grab him on a rookie deal and stash him behind Geno for 1-2 years and maybe you’ve got something. He legitimately could make the Rivers/Rodgers thing work considering Geno is like the absolute perfect guy to put in a room with him. That’s about as good of a situation as you’re getting for AR if he absolutely has to go this high.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Would the colts really take Richardson, the least day 1 ready to start qb, at 4?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

EmbryoSteve posted:

Would the colts really take Richardson, the least day 1 ready to start qb, at 4?

Probably, yeah. Minshew isn't anything special but he'd be a capable bridge QB, and Ballard doesn't need to win this year to keep his job, he just needs to have a potential QB of the future on the roster.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Whoever takes Richardson has to do the back to back QB thing in like the 5th round right? Either way I think Seahawks has been the best spot for him for a while and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him go there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Gonna take a vacation before my pick

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Probably, yeah. Minshew isn't anything special but he'd be a capable bridge QB, and Ballard doesn't need to win this year to keep his job, he just needs to have a potential QB of the future on the roster.

Yeah, exactly. They might as well shoot for the moon with this pick and Richardson has the highest potential out of the QBs they'll have left to pick from. And they'll hope that Steichen can develop him like he helped develop Hurts.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

Low key…grab him on a rookie deal and stash him behind Geno for 1-2 years and maybe you’ve got something. He legitimately could make the Rivers/Rodgers thing work considering Geno is like the absolute perfect guy to put in a room with him. That’s about as good of a situation as you’re getting for AR if he absolutely has to go this high.

you goose this isn't low key, it's been the entire discussion around Seattle and Detroit - Anthony gets to go to solid teams and gets to sit for at least a year.

But I have to agree, Seattle is an even better spot than Detroit for Mr. Richardson.

P.S. Thank you for the big effort post on DL people. Makes me feel better about Tyree Wilson if he's the pick at five for Seattle, even if it would be kind of boring.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it me or was Micah Parsons a better prospect than Will Anderson?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Is it me or was Micah Parsons a better prospect than Will Anderson?

Micah's prospects, as I recall, were a little hazier

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its hard in hindsight because Micah parsons is kind of a football god but IIRC he was thought of as needing a lot of improvements in overrunning plays, coverage and playing through blocks which all turned out to be bullshit because he's probably the best defensive player drafted in the last 5 years.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ShakeZula posted:

I enjoyed this lil joke :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ShakeZula posted:

:golfclap:

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Parsons wasn't really thought of as being an elite pass rusher when he was drafted from what I remember, just kind of an ultra athletic all around linebacker. So the positional value turned out to be way better than people expected

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was also a COVID opt-out so there was less tape on him.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

TheGreyGhost posted:

His hands look like a 50 year old dad playing Bop-It

Thread title & back of the rookie card quote

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

BlindSite posted:

Its hard in hindsight because Micah parsons is kind of a football god but IIRC he was thought of as needing a lot of improvements in overrunning plays, coverage and playing through blocks which all turned out to be bullshit because he's probably the best defensive player drafted in the last 5 years.

I don’t think we know if it’s bullshit or not because the Cowboys basically switched his position from an off of the ball linebacker to edge and haven’t looked back since week two of his NFL career. I’ve never really gotten the impression that Parsons was like Von Miller, who split a lot of time between edge and stack and probably would have still been very good if he stuck with the latter.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

which draft pick do you think would have the most unvincible career. which draft pick do you think would be the hardest player to mess with and mess up their career? which draft pick is so good and complete right now that no coach or anybody else really could screw up their unvincible "game"?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Cavauro posted:

which draft pick do you think would have the most unvincible career. which draft pick do you think would be the hardest player to mess with and mess up their career? which draft pick is so good and complete right now that no coach or anybody else really could screw up their unvincible "game"?

Anthony Richardson

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Alright I'm sold he's a bust

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1642264822858276865?s=20

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Hamhandler posted:

I don’t think we know if it’s bullshit or not because the Cowboys basically switched his position from an off of the ball linebacker to edge and haven’t looked back since week two of his NFL career. I’ve never really gotten the impression that Parsons was like Von Miller, who split a lot of time between edge and stack and probably would have still been very good if he stuck with the latter.

And they only moved him because of injuries to their normal rushers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get the feeling Youngs either going to start for 15 years and break a bunch of records for completion percentage or he'll be an offensive coordinator at a college in 7 years and most of it probably depends on if the Texans can protect him. Kinda feel the same way about Tua right now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BlindSite posted:

. Kinda feel the same way about Tua right now.

Hard same

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Madness, absolute madness, that at one point (and even to this very day) some believed that Young is superior to Stroud.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Madness, absolute madness, that at one point (and even to this very day) some believed that Young is superior to Stroud.

He is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the madness is spreading!!!