Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My purebred has a 30% genetic COI and like a 15-17% pedigree COI because her breeder uses linebreeding a lot to get very consistent dogs. I wouldn't personally breed that close but she's a very healthy dog and exactly what I expected to get.

Umbra's is 37%, despite being a mix.

The other dog shares over 45% of her DNA and reads as a purebred GSD. That makes me assume sire rather than sibling.

At least according to her genetic profile she doesn't have any of the bad genetic markers for health conditions.

She will occasionally relax, but it takes a lot of dog park to get there.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Gangringo posted:

Umbra's is 37%, despite being a mix.

The other dog shares over 45% of her DNA and reads as a purebred GSD. That makes me assume sire rather than sibling.

At least according to her genetic profile she doesn't have any of the bad genetic markers for health conditions.

She will occasionally relax, but it takes a lot of dog park to get there.

I meant maybe her parents are siblings. That dude may just not have gotten any of the husky markers since even full siblings can have slightly different breed make ups in mixes. It also could have been a father daughter mating with a closely related grandparent with just a touch of husky.

Cool stuff! I always hoped to find a real relative from my embark of my rescue boy.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

HootTheOwl posted:

Once you get it on her maybe just leave it on for a few days or something.
Kinda like a cone, they hate it but get used to it

Guess who's now in her party hat? Holly got a scratch while being groomed on Monday, won't stop bothering it, and is now sulking while doing her best lamp impression. :smith:

She's more agitated over not being able to scratch this one than she was for her actual sterilisation, the poor thing. Fingers crossed it heals up soon.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova is almost definitely a sibling-pair oopsie - her mom was not even 1 when they brought the litter into the shelter, and somehow Nova had the same bizarre mix of dog breeds on both mom and dad’s side. Several of her siblings also did Embark panels and it was super interesting to see their slightly different but mostly similar breed mixes! She shared 63-64% of her DNA with her siblings and her inbreeding coefficient was 28%.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i was talking to a lady the other day whose dog was the product of someone accidentally jumping his own mother. in this case the mother was three quarters malamute with one purebred rottweiler grandparent, and the son was that crossed with a purebred malamute. she said the product of this genetic alchemy was a litter where half the pups looked like black and tan malamutes, some looked like hairy rottweilers, two looked like regular short-haired black and tan rottweilers but grew huge fluffy yellow undercoats in winter, and one looked like a giant dingo and bore no resemblance to the others

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lol I'm now extra relieved that my dog's son has moved on to another foster home before any accidents could happen

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Back in January I found a puppy in my driveway, caked in mud and poop and scared and yelping, and after a bath and a checkup he was relaxing.

I wanted to take him in but wasn't able to immediately, so I asked a friend if they could foster the puppy for a while. Long story short, they named him Buddy and kept him! This week I got to dogsit him for a few days :dogcited:

Best friends bonding over stick time

I had the long lead on him but didn't ever need it, he listens amazingly well and always checks in and returns when called, even when other people or dogs are walking by.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/WerewolfMoms/status/1639334769077911565?s=20

Awww puppies are so cute

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Puppies are free, you can just take them out of the ground

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Cosmo's showing early signs of an ear infection.

This will be his third; his first was when he was four months old, and during the treatment he absolutely shrieked the vet's office down. I think it traumatised him pretty badly (or he's just a little drama queen as Shibas tend to be) because getting him treated for anything since has proven to be an utter nightmare. He wriggles, fights, screams and nips, and it's basically impossible to apply anything. Last time his ear got infected the vets (with our blessing) sedated him first.

God drat, this is so stressful. They don't warn you about this stuff :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Cosmo's showing early signs of an ear infection.

This will be his third;

Fwiw it could be diet related. Our puppy has been treated for two ear infections so far and the vet said it could be food related.

We’ve been putting cleaning drops in her ears which seems to have helped too.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Vet is convinced it isn't dietary but just a hazard of the breed. Applying drops is a nightmare but we've got a system of getting him while he's asleep, he barely notices and it hasn't affected his mood any!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i've got a creeper :confuoot: a neighbour has fixated on me and now follows me around on walks. iris hates him, but he insists on snatching her leash and trying to grab hold of her even though she's yelping and barking and trying to get away from him. i have been trying to avoid him, but yesterday he chased us at a full sprint down the street for the purpose of creeping. i chose to get a big dog for personal protection, but if she does end up biting him i'm worried about the consequences so i hope he sees sense and backs off rather than escalating further

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

i've got a creeper :confuoot: a neighbour has fixated on me and now follows me around on walks. iris hates him, but he insists on snatching her leash and trying to grab hold of her even though she's yelping and barking and trying to get away from him. i have been trying to avoid him, but yesterday he chased us at a full sprint down the street for the purpose of creeping. i chose to get a big dog for personal protection, but if she does end up biting him i'm worried about the consequences so i hope he sees sense and backs off rather than escalating further

Get a restraining order.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Dango Bango posted:

Get a restraining order.
if he continues i definitely will. he's obviously got mental problems so i didn't want to be harsh, but chasing me down the street and grabbing my dog is kind of a step too far. she almost ran into traffic :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

a strange fowl posted:

if he continues i definitely will. he's obviously got mental problems so i didn't want to be harsh, but chasing me down the street and grabbing my dog is kind of a step too far. she almost ran into traffic :(

No, do it now. He's already crossed several lines and if something horrible happens you want a legal track record already established that shows he's the aggressor and you're not at fault. Otherwise when poo poo goes down there's a risk that you're made out to be the villain instead of him.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, do it now. He's already crossed several lines and if something horrible happens you want a legal track record already established that shows he's the aggressor and you're not at fault. Otherwise when poo poo goes down there's a risk that you're made out to be the villain instead of him.

Seconding this. If he's snatched the leash from you, or touched you or your dog without permission (or ESPECIALLY over your protests), he's already gone way too far.

You're under no obligation to "be nice"; he threw that consideration away when he violated your personal space. If he shows up again, tell him very firmly to stay away. If he still approaches, try to get near other people and make sure they see what's happening. Ask for help if you feel unsafe.

I don't know your gender, but if you're female or femme-presenting, you may get more traction by making it obvious to bystanders that he's an aggressor -- but of course nobody should be doing this kind of poo poo to anyone of any gender.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

a strange fowl posted:

He is not going to voluntarily de-escalate at this point. You need to protect yourself and Iris now before something worse happens :sympathy:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thirding, fourthing what everyone else is saying. Please take this as seriously as it is.

What a lovely situation. Good luck!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

thanks all. i am going to find a way to tactfully discuss the situation with my other neighbours. with the dog-grabbing, i wasn't sure where it crossed the line between "guess he just really likes my dog" and officially creepy, so thank you for the confirmation that no, it's creepy!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s actually a few steps beyond creepy to actually dangerous.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Hello puppy thread! I am currently having no problems with Jasper the rocker spaniel (1/4 Golden, but let's not split hairs).

That is all

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hi Jasper!!!

MarcusSA posted:

It’s actually a few steps beyond creepy to actually dangerous.

Seriously I’d be calling the cops asap. Don’t wait.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw it could be diet related.

Honest question, now does diet result in an ear infection? Killing off natural antibiotics or something?

Relatedly, Tater's last ear infection late last year left him deaf. I last took him in at the end of February and he came out clean but he still spends most of the day denning by a chair or in dark places. Freaking sucks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone in here use Simparica Trio? I am thinking of swapping from Heartgard/Nexgard. It seems fine, safe for my six year old furball, but figured I’d ask. Well and I’d ask my vet directly too.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I use Simparica Trio monthly and then a specific worming tablet every 6 months that I can't remember the name of atm, which is what my vet recommended. I'm not sure if the extra tablet is standard or because my dogs are exposed to a lot of parasites due to having other animals and spending lots of time in fields and woods though.

I had been using Bravecto, but I switched to Simparica Trio when the Bravecto seemed to become less effective at dealing with ticks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve been happy with it, other than the cost. No flea/tick issues whatsoever.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here use Simparica Trio? I am thinking of swapping from Heartgard/Nexgard. It seems fine, safe for my six year old furball, but figured I’d ask. Well and I’d ask my vet directly too.

Is what I use. Echoing no issues with it except price. I usually buy a year's supply when it goes on sale through my vet's shop (it's tied to a larger pet medication website in not recalling the name of right now. Not Chewy.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Is what I use. Echoing no issues with it except price.

Yeah same here.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A local pet photographer does different themed mini sessions every month or so. This month was beach party themed.

It was also her 3rd birthday on Tuesday! I can't believe my little piglet is 3 now. To celebrate we went to all her favorite places. The pet store gave her a free toy because they always use pictures of her on their social media, she got to stare at the bin of chicks at tractor supply, and harassed every employee in Lowe's for treats. Then we went to the dock diving place, which just finished its new indoor pool, and did some barn hunt and dock practice.

Barn hunt is a game where dogs have to go through an obstacle course of hay bales to find a rat hidden in a secure pvc tube. The rats stay safe and the dogs have a total blast sniffing them out. The swine is an absolute beast though. Most dogs indicate that they have found the rat by barking or scratching at the tube, or the more polite ones just sniff it. Scout's indication that she has found the rat tube is to slam into it as hard as she can trying to get it into her little mouth, launching it across the area or straight into the air, until it can be saved from her. There is no missing her indication at least? Then if they are hidden between bales she just shoves her entire body through knocking staw bales everywhere. I brought the rats treats as an apology and they got to take the rest of the day off.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

beautiful :allears:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:3: oh my god all of that is extremely adorable

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

scout rules :3:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
My dog is terrified of car rides and it's causing problems. I've managed to teach him to climb into the car, but he's also figured out how to climb into the front seat. Nothing like trying to control a car while a 50+ lbs canine forces his body into your lap, amirite?! The poor creature was panting and drooling with fear in those last few minutes home.

Obviously I'm going to put a barrier between the front and back seats the next time I drive him somewhere. But while that fixes the driving problem, that doesn't help my dog. Any suggestions for making my dog feel safe/calm down when I put him in the car? I'd rather not traumatize him every time I take him to the dog park.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You could do some exercises like feeding him his meals in the car while the engine is off, then moving up to doing it while the engine is running but the car is stationary, get him used to that and associating it with something positive. Might be better to avoid drives that stress him so you're not reinforcing the issue until you can get a better handle on it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When we first got our dog the vet said excessive drooling in the car was probably because of car-sickness. Our pup grew out of that (but still hates the car) but every dog is different.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah it might actually be that car sickness is causing his initial distress and the fear is a result of him being sick every time he gets in a car.

Make sure he can still see outside however he's restrained in the car. Can someone sit in the back with him for some short test drives?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Introducing myself to this thread -

I've been a long time cat owner, and now that they've all passed away from old age, my family and I have decided on adopting a puppy! I've done a bit of research but I'm certain I will have a lot of questions for the denziens of pet island.

This will be our first dog, so I'm quite excited. He's currently crate trained through the night, and mostly house broken! (17 weeks old)

The vetting process from the adoption place was a bit exhausting, but I'm happy that they seem reputable enough to do their legwork and ensure the puppies are going to good homes. My oldest son and I get to meet him tomorrow and make the final decision on adoption at that point.

Things we've purchased - large sized crate, chew toys, washable pee pad for in the crate. The fosters are giving us a bunch of the food that he currently eats so we can either transition to a new food or purchase the same.

I'm getting signed up for some local obedience classes right away, well, I gotta research them yet, but that's the plan. I was price checking treats - what do you guys use for rewards during training? Most of the types I see are very pricey and/or too large for how often you are to reward them?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Use their meals as treats for most things, save the good treats for when you're out and about or training hard things.

Zukes or pet botanics minis are good for training. I also use whatever high quality kibbles I find on the clearance rack at petsmart or reese's puffs mini cereal. For really high value stuff I buy cheap pre-cut cheese cubes from walmart, that poo poo got us through Scout's conformation championship.

That's a super cute puppy! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something to bear in mind with treats is that you only need to give them enough that they can taste it. Very small treats still count as treats for training purposes. When I'm out and about, I use freeze-dried beef liver, but I break it down into pieces smaller than my fingernails. That helps reduce costs and also avoid screwing with the dog's diet.