Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

postmodifier posted:

There's a bunch of stores like this, Ollie's, Big Lots, Five Below

Basically they buy huge stacks of trash from the major retailers like Walmart, target, whatever

It's all overstock, factory fuckups, 86'd, stuff that's like a month from expiring, they get it for next to nothing because it'd be dumpstered otherwise

Then they turn around and sell it to you for thirty times what they paid for because people don't understand that a bag of doritos with Rey from the Force Awakens on it is not good

If you mean literal aliexpress junk, they got it from aliexpress, welcome to every dollar store ever

Yeah, the last one. It’s very much literal AliExpress junk, a lot of stuff still in the very distinctive “straight from a Chinese factory” packaging/shipping style. I guess it confuses me because I buy a fair bit of stuff from AE and while it’s cheap, the prices they’re charging feels like it can’t make a profit. Idk maybe I’m putting too much thought into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My understanding is that AliExpress is really a marketplace for dropshippers and there's still a wholesale/straight from the manufacturer way to get them at in bulk for super cheap.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

zachol posted:

My understanding is that AliExpress is really a marketplace for dropshippers and there's still a wholesale/straight from the manufacturer way to get them at in bulk for super cheap.

Alibaba is the main site for bulk orders, and the one dropshippers would use if they just wanna order 1000 50-cent rings and resell them on etsy for $10 each. Aliexpress is their consumer focused spinoff.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Why do I get such intense side effects from the covid vaccines when no other vaccine does this to me

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why do I get such intense side effects from the covid vaccines when no other vaccine does this to me

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That makes sense thanks

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
It depends on the individual person, side effects come from your body's response to the vaccine. Some people get worse side effects from other vaccines, but each one is different. My third shot made me feel a little lovely for a few days but all the other ones did nothing other than a small sore spot on my arm for a couple hours.

You just got bad luck on the draw for this one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Killingyouguy! posted:

Vaccines need to get the immune system motivated to investigate and terminate the vaccine matter that mimics a disease‐causing germ. If your body simply shrugged at the foreign matter and let it be broken down slowly, that would be no good. There needs to be a five‐alarm response on the part of the immune system. It doesn’t necessarily have to cross over into making you feel sick, but that is a common side effect.

Many vaccines include what is called an “adjuvant”, some substance included specifically to get a more vigorous response. There’s a long history of using alum for this. Some influenza vaccines use squalene, which is an organic compound found in a lot of living things. Soapbark bark extract and derivatives are a hot new area of interest. Vaccines intended for use in older people may have a larger dose of adjuvant and/or of the vaccine target, because older folks have weaker immune responses in general. For instance, Shingrix is formulated for and was tested in people fifty years of age and up, and it is notorious for being rough on younger adults.

So, stimulating the immune system is a goal, side effects are to some extent an unavoidable consequence of that, and different vaccines go about it in different ways. Reactions can vary in intensity from person to person and vaccine to vaccine and even from shot to shot. The fact that it’s all so unpredictable is part of why trials are so important. To find out if the vaccine is sufficiently stimulating and has manageable side effects in most people, they have to actually give vaccine candidates to a bunch of people and see what happens.

My second mRNA COVID shot gave me bad side effects and the third was even worse, so I was not looking forward to the fourth, but I felt absolutely nothing on that. The bivalent shot, similarly, gave me nothing but a sore arm. Some people have had the opposite experience where the bivalent gave them the worst side effects.

The Pfizer/Moderna COVID vaccines don’t actually use an adjuvant at all. The combination of the foreign RNA, the lipid nanoparticles (organic oils) that surround them, and the spike proteins that your cells produce are quite stimulating to the immune system on their own. Why, exactly, this happens is still being worked out.

The Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca likewise do not need adjuvants. In their case, the reason is straightforward: they are based on modified adenoviruses, and your body is naturally concerned about adenoviruses.

Both of these vaccine types create a mock infection of cells: your cells will produce foreign proteins, just as they would in a real infection. Your immune system will respond to clear out the affected cells, just as in a real infection.

It isn’t a real infection, though. The proteins that your cells produce cannot go on to infect other cells. If an immunocompromised person receives such a vaccine, the worst thing that can happen is that their immune system just don’t meaningfully respond. Their cells will stop producing more spikes because they run out of mRNA/DNA coding for spikes. They may not be safe from whatever the vaccine was designed to protect against, but they won’t be any worse off than they were before.

The Novavax vaccine, now it’s different. It doesn’t enter cells and thereby mimic an infection. It presents the spike proteins directly, fully formed in a factory, purified, and packaged for injection into your muscle. These proteins turn out not to be immunogenic enough on their own. An adjuvant is included to promote a sufficient response. Novavax’s is soapbark‐based.

You may want to know that Novavax’s vaccine is generally considered to cause fewer and less intense side effects than the mRNA vaccines. It has not been updated for Omicron, it is based on virus isolated in January of 2020, so I would not get it myself, but if it’s a choice between getting Novavax or not getting a vaccine at all because you cannot tolerate the effects you have experience with the other vaccines, absolutely seek a Novavax shot.

tl;dr: Vaccines have to rile up your immune system. Often, feeling unwell comes as a consequence of this. Each vaccine is different and each person is different and no one can predict how the two will interact except in broad statistical terms.

If side effects are preventing you from getting another Pfizer/Moderna shot, consider Novavax, but be aware that it has not been updated for Omicron.

Here are a couple graphics that illustrate the mock infection process.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1341409675443580936

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 2, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My understanding is that in general many of the symptoms associated with getting sick are actually symptoms of your immune response ramping up to deal with a threat. So hypothetically, if you had no immune response*, you wouldn't feel as many symptoms; you'd just also never recover from the illness. Since vaccines are all about training your immune system, they're gonna make you feel sick at least a little. As for why the covid vaccine specifically feels worse than, say, the flu vaccine...isn't this unsurprising? Covid symptoms are generally described as being like "a really bad case of the flu". So I would fully expect the covid vaccine to feel worse than a flu vaccine.

* you'd be dead

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks! I guess it's just bad luck.

And don't worry - the covid vaccine gave me a 16 hour fever once but i'm still staying up to date on that poo poo i just make sure to get it on a friday

today is one of those saturdays

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was flipping through my Steam library and saw the game Dark Sector; in it, the main character has congenital analgesia, where he can't feel pain.

From my own experiences and the people I know, the vaccine tends to beat you down, but how would that affect someone who can't feel physical pain? Like, all the symptoms, but no message from your body that something is wrong?

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
I think they wouldn't have muscle pain or headaches, which are kind of the lovely part. I suppose you could get a fever or something and not have any pain from it but still end up lacking in energy. CIPA is a strange thing to think about.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why are spinning hard drives still manufactured? It’s hard to believe that solid state memory hasn’t approached parity in combined cost and reliability.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lincoln posted:

Why are spinning hard drives still manufactured? It’s hard to believe that solid state memory hasn’t approached parity in combined cost and reliability.

I just went to NewEgg and they're selling a 22TB platter drive for $577 and a 2TB SSD for $175. (they also have a 4TB platter drive for $68)

Solid state drives have improved in cost a lot but they still can't beat the ol' spinning rust for sheer storage per dollar.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Lincoln posted:

For bulk storage, there's no question - the prices above about 1TB are no contest. You can buy NAS-grade spinning drives in the 10TB+ range for what a good quality, PCI-e SSD costs. If you're doing a lot of photos or videos, are big on saving your music purchases, etc. then you're probably well-served by having both - a SSD for your applications and a spinning drive (via USB or NAS) for the bulk storage. Likewise, at the absolute lowest end, the 256GB SSD pricing is roughly comparable to cheap 1TB spinning drives. For a corporate user who likely has all documents stored on a network location, that SSD is fine. But for a budget PC buyer, who may be likely to try to store almost everything on that individual drive, there's a reasonable debate around whether the speed of the SSD or the capacity of the spinning drive serves them better. If you're looking at that ~$500 laptop, that's also a decent market for the spinning drive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We should bring back tape drives.

Actually, I'm curious: Are they still used for archival purposes? A buddy of mine used to work at a digital video processing house where they'd do everything from making files for proxy/offline editing, to archiving movies onto tape. That was a few years back, I'm wondering now if HDDs have finally taken over that duty.

All this hard drive talk in a couple of threads is making me nervous. For the most part I'm running JBOD, but most of my important data and music is "backed up" (don't start) to a 26TB RAID5 array. A friend of mine suggested I could have striped all the internal drives (four 6TB HDDs, two 1TB 2.5" SSDs in the optical bay and two 1TB NVMe SSDs on the PCI bus) into their own RAID array but I would need to move tons of poo poo back and forth to do that. Maybe when I have some more dosh for new drives I'll finally do it, but every installer and audio library and my DJ music is also copied to the RAID5 that stays off most of the time. It's my Plex library stuff that I'm basically rolling the dice on every day.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2023

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Mister Speaker posted:

We should bring back tape drives.

Actually, I'm curious: Are they still used for archival purposes? A buddy of mine used to work at a digital video processing house where they'd do everything from making files for proxy/offline editing, to archiving movies onto tape. That was a few years back, I'm wondering now if HDDs have finally taken over that duty.

Yes. As part of work I sometimes help people recover data and loads of companies out there are still using tapes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Pirate Captain posted:

Yes. As part of work I sometimes help people recover data and loads of companies out there are still using tapes.

Is this just due to institutional inertia, or are they still best-in-class for certain tasks?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SIHappiness posted:

But for a budget PC buyer, who may be likely to try to store almost everything on that individual drive, there's a reasonable debate around whether the speed of the SSD or the capacity of the spinning drive serves them better.

The answer here is, of course, "get both". You can get a small SSD and a ~4TB HDD for under a hundred bucks now, and that'll give you a fast boot drive with enough SSD space left for a few games, along with a decent amount of bulk storage for documents/images/movies/books/etc.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is this just due to institutional inertia, or are they still best-in-class for certain tasks?

I'm sure institutional inertia is a huge factor. Backups and related systems are one of those things where upgrades are hard to justify to the bean counters because it won't make next quarters numbers twitch.

But if a site floods because of a burst pipe and suddenly production isn't moving on Monday ...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC their major advantages of tape are longevity and cost. As long as the tapes are stored properly they'll retain data integrity for a long time, and backing things up on tape is a lot cheaper than storing it on drives.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hopefully they've maintained the software and hardware to read said tapes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Khizan posted:

IIRC their major advantages of tape are longevity and cost. As long as the tapes are stored properly they'll retain data integrity for a long time, and backing things up on tape is a lot cheaper than storing it on drives.

We have regulatory requirements for data retention that can go up to 25 years. I occasionally have to remind people that we're a regulated 24/7 manufacturing company, so this is at the core of one of my recurring nightmares.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I remember learning like 10 years ago that it was both cheaper and faster to write a data center worth of data to tape, ship it by truck, and read it on the other end, than to transfer it even over the highest speed line. Idk if that changed over the years but it wasn't that long ago that it was, to many people's surprise, still a thing that like... Google did routinely.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Andrew Tanenbaum, 1981 posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yep that's still the best way to do massive data transfer, aws even has a series of products for it - https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/ - where they'll drop off either a tiny box, a big box, or a shipping container, you fill it with bits, then they pick it up and import it at their data center.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

When you restore a tape backup does it play a cool tune and show a picture to get you hyped up for the data you're about to get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGerVgXNDrg

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Anybody recognize "Jim" from this early 2000s Subway commercial? I remembered it being Jim Breuer from SNL, but it clearly isn't him.
https://youtu.be/ZY_agJVyb9k

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gavin from Slow-Mo Guys made a video talking about the tape backup he made for all of their video

tldr like everyone else said, for long-term cold storage nothing else comes close to tape

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

lobsterminator posted:

When you restore a tape backup does it play a cool tune and show a picture to get you hyped up for the data you're about to get?

YOU GODDAMN RIGHT IT DO

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As I remember, data is actually stored as, essentially, 16 (or whatever) different tones, which means that you can play it as music. It's gonna sound horrible for numerous reasons though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any inexpensive way to get rid of a cracked fish tank? Our trash company won't do a bulky pick-up because their claw thing would probably just shatter the class. A local dump is charging like $45, and another place requires a hard hat and reflective vest, neither of which I have.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Take a hammer to it?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is it possible to use GlassDoor anonymously? I mean, let's say someone wanted to post a review of a former employer, is there a way to do that without it getting back to them? I suppose in a general sense there's a way to do a lot of things on the internet with relative anonymity (using a VPN or a computer at the library, fake email, etc. etc.) but my friend is unfamiliar with any of that stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Speaker posted:

Is it possible to use GlassDoor anonymously? I mean, let's say someone wanted to post a review of a former employer, is there a way to do that without it getting back to them? I suppose in a general sense there's a way to do a lot of things on the internet with relative anonymity (using a VPN or a computer at the library, fake email, etc. etc.) but my friend is unfamiliar with any of that stuff.

I feel like this was asked like two weeks ago. Maybe even in this thread?

ETA: yeah, by you! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753&pagenumber=2238&perpage=40&userid=0#post530789982

Killingyouguy! posted:

Take a hammer to it?

And then what?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

hooah posted:

And then what?

Smaller pieces for the trash

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

hooah posted:

I feel like this was asked like two weeks ago. Maybe even in this thread?

ETA: yeah, by you! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753&pagenumber=2238&perpage=40&userid=0#post530789982

And then what?

Oh for gently caress's sake, lmao. Sorry about that, thanks for pointing me back to it, and thanks to Inceltown for answering in the first place, I (obviously) forgot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Smaller pieces for the trash

Just... loose shards of glass in the trash (or recycling)? That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

hooah posted:

Just... loose shards of glass in the trash (or recycling)? That doesn't sound like a good idea.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

The typical practice for disposing of broken glass, if you can't get it to a glass recycler, is wrapping it in cardboard / sealing it in a cardboard box, so it don't poke nobody