Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most of the enchantment battles seem like things I wouldn't mind in some of my commander deck. Looking forward to future battles, lotta fun themes and angles to take with em.

Scryfall needs to add a rotate button to these cards I'm not reading and looking at art sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Battles are gonna be way better than most people are expecting, and way worse than some people are expecting, but at least one will probably hit Fable-level obnoxiousness

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they can tune just about everything about battles including deciding how much about these they consider inherent to battles and how much is part of being the siege subtype, so it's very wait-and-see imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

Battles are gonna be way better than most people are expecting, and way worse than some people are expecting, but at least one will probably hit Fable-level obnoxiousness

I don't get the hate for Fable. I love the card and I don't think it's too good. Now, Reckoner Bankbuster... I'm so sick of that thing. Almost as bad as Smugglers Copter was

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fable is too efficient and creates too many threats and benefits from a single cheap card.

You have to deal with the token, you have to deal with the resulting flipped fable, and they also get to loot twice if the enchantment survives a turn. Also two fables together can be a game ender by themselves, which is kind of bullshit.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Invasions are odd because you are in a siege of the plane, like the Phyrexians, but if you succeed in the siege and defeat the plane, you get something that defended the plane from the Phyrexians?

Invasion of Kaldheim/Pyre of the World Tree is the only one that's like, the invasion succeeded so here's a consequence. Every other one is something that's fighting the invaders, or something that's stopping them. Your siege of Innistrad was successful: here's the power of Innistrad's zombies, that stopped the siege of Innistrad from being successful.

Huh?

All of this is besides Invasion of New Phyrexia ofc, because it's the reversal and it succeeding is Tef's back from the time void.

I suspect this is part of the reason they're slow-rolling Invasion of Theros, because between the cards and the story, it looks like most of the rest of the Multiverse is getting away fairly scott-free...

... but Theros, due to the nature of how New Phyrexia 'invaded' it, looks absolutely hosed. And most of the cards revealed so far dealing with Theros in particular seem to be showing that, though Surge of Salvation seems to finally have shown something that isn't Theros just becoming Phyrexia 3.0: Actual Gods In The Religion This Time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mr. Locke posted:

I suspect this is part of the reason they're slow-rolling Invasion of Theros, because between the cards and the story, it looks like most of the rest of the Multiverse is getting away fairly scott-free...

... but Theros, due to the nature of how New Phyrexia 'invaded' it, looks absolutely hosed. And most of the cards revealed so far dealing with Theros in particular seem to be showing that, though Surge of Salvation seems to finally have shown something that isn't Theros just becoming Phyrexia 3.0: Actual Gods In The Religion This Time.

The Theros plotline could be interesting because so far we've only seen Heliod getting Compleated but if the plane is turned that must mean most if not all of the gods get got too. And we know that the fate goddess can create Planeswalkers of her own (like the guy who got sent after Elspeth at the end of the last Theros set).

Kaya assassinates Heliod but who knows what happens to the rest of them, and if losing the connection to the oil will actually make a difference as long as they have enough believers.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I totally want to see a greco-phyrexian culture emerge if we go back to theros.
Have some compleated therians form a hidden settlement/base to regroup as they tackle difficult questions now that they need to survive and think for themselves.

I just want to see phyrexian philosophers arguing endlessly over the various oneness-s of Nyx, Kruphix, and the Underworld as new sects and ideas emerge.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

precision posted:

I don't get the hate for Fable. I love the card and I don't think it's too good. Now, Reckoner Bankbuster... I'm so sick of that thing. Almost as bad as Smugglers Copter was

Reid Duke basically won the PT because he was able to delay his opponent for like 3 turns w/ 1 flipped Fable then won when he got another Fable to flip.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i don't think fable is too strong, but i do think it's too versatile. it's almost the entire red color identity in one spell, which makes it no real wonder why almost every deck with red in it plays four of them

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fable isn't good in a deck that wants to be fast, which most red-heavy decks are. But Fable is incredible in a game that goes long, and it's easily splashed in most decks with that gameplan.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

this is a good trap, you think exponentially and then either get blown out when you try to wait for gas or play it on 4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The cool thing about incubator tokens is the option and headgames. Maybe opponent holds back attacker because you have 2 mana and a big enough incubate token sitting there. Then you might opt to use the mana for something else

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Venuz Patrol posted:

i don't think fable is too strong, but i do think it's too versatile. it's almost the entire red color identity in one spell, which makes it no real wonder why almost every deck with red in it plays four of them

Yeah, this, really. It just does everything, at a rate that's good to pay. There's a ton of subtle upside to it, like how it's 2+ (usually 3) permanents in one card, of different types. The fact the loot is delayed is surprisingly relevant. The fact that it's an enchantment, not a creature in the graveyard, is often useful for delerium type effects, etc etc. In a vacuum its only 'very efficient' but in the context of the format its just so insanely advantageous.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I wonder how good incubate will be in limited, not the most exciting mechanic but drafting means sometimes winding up there.

I want to make the pirate work, but the only blue aggro I know is all tied up in UW soldiers.

there are a lot of complicated feelings running across that face, like "oh no i poo poo myself in mid-flight"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mycomancy posted:

Lol yeah it's pretty cool to see the evil sides of the white blue pairup.

That happens every time we go to Ravnica!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ok im not so firm on that, but why isn't she a vampire?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Goa Tse-tung posted:

And why did they put her on the worst battle of all?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

!Klams posted:

And why did they put her on the worst battle of all?

Well that IS keeping with the flavor of Homelands: "ugh this card sucks."

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mycomancy posted:

Well that IS keeping with the flavor of Homelands: "ugh this card sucks."

Lol, I posted it and walked away and it suddenly came to me. I came back to edit my post but you'd already got there. Yeah, it's a huge flavour win actually!

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

She was originally a human planeswalker called Ravi and Baron Sengir "adopted" her after she went mad and landed up on Ulgrotha.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

She never was. She a mad planeswalker who forgot how to planeswalk. She and Baron Sengir are not actually related.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fable is more efficient than Red usually is but it's not nearly as busted efficient as invoke despair

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Invoke despair should have been a 3 step Fable, then maybe it's "your "fail case" is 6 to face and draw 3" would have felt remotely fair

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ex post facho posted:

interesting magic themed twist on loss

I hate myself for doing this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

precision posted:

Fable is more efficient than Red usually is but it's not nearly as busted efficient as invoke despair

Both can be overly pushed. Fable is very powerful, but in a slightly more subtle way. It's great value, but you shouldn't discount the effect on winrate that the consistency from the second stage gives.

Though don't get me wrong, Invoke is pretty loving strong. What I hate about it in particular is that it's a zero opportunity cost main deck enchantment removal in a color that's supposed to be bad at it (it's only an edict but still).

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
There's way more NEO enchantment removal in black then there really should be.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Fable is played as a 4 of in both modern and legacy, and I’m glad it exists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Time posted:

Fable is played as a 4 of in both modern and legacy, and I’m glad it exists

thats pretty cool, what legacy deck?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That's still better than 99% of the cards in Homelands. 3 lifesuck for 5 would have been a solid first pick within Homelands set

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BTW: Is there an easy way to cheat those battles without just sending creatures to attack them?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Fable is a multi-format staple, Invoke is kinda annoying in Standard. With MoM at least any deck playing white has a 1 mana answer to Invoke

Issaries posted:

BTW: Is there an easy way to cheat those battles without just sending creatures to attack them?

the set has this

Vampire Hexmage is another thing people are looking at as a good tool for it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rinkles posted:

thats pretty cool, what legacy deck?

Mono red chalice stompy decks. Which, aside from the 8 initiative white era, is actually very good. It’s also a 4 of in (red) painter, which is also very good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
glissa sunslayer's seeing some standard play b/c turns out first strike and deathtouch are still busted, and they seeded battles by giving her a third mode of removing three counters from a permanent. we've also seen at least one piece of creature removal in MoM that can also target battles (but not hit face) + i think that'll be important in some matchups

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Invest in aethersnaps while they're hot! (probably don't do this)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think we've also seen a couple red sweepers that damage creatures AND battles

most burn seems to hit battles, either explicitly, or implicitly under "any target"

we have at least 2 cards that just remove counters from things

and then there's good old "using battles to force your opponent to make bad blocks or else you get cool poo poo"

Remember, battles are cards that YOU put in your deck, you can choose when to play them and include stuff that hits battles. it's not like planeswalkers where you have to decide whether or not to put in removal for them in case your opponent has one.

If your opponent tapped out, you have a creature that can attack, and a battle in hand, you can just play the battle, attack it, and even if you don't finish the battle immediately, now your opponent has to block for it next turn.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

flatluigi posted:

glissa sunslayer's seeing some standard play b/c turns out first strike and deathtouch are still busted, and they seeded battles by giving her a third mode of removing three counters from a permanent. we've also seen at least one piece of creature removal in MoM that can also target battles (but not hit face) + i think that'll be important in some matchups

Glissa Sunslayer is a hilarious win condition against Archfiend of the Dross, especially against idiots who let her through.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Apparently granny sengir has never been a vampire.

These updated creature types include Irini being a turned dwarf so I guess she's just unfathomably old from one of the sixty thousand other things to cause immortality in this setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Apparently granny sengir has never been a vampire.

These updated creature types include Irini being a turned dwarf so I guess she's just unfathomably old from one of the sixty thousand other things to cause immortality in this setting.

I think she was always implied to be a Dwarf, just they didn't have typed legends back in the day?
“That cruel being brings shame to all her fellow Dwarves and misery to all the land. She is Sengir’s daughter in spirit if not in blood.”