Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Huh, so I guess that's where that story originated from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec51smvcsDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Right. I came here to post actual content

Driver (PS1) Came up in the other thread and it reminded me of some of my favorite gameplay experiences. Firstly, there was an evade the cops mini game for each level, a few years before GTA3 was ever a thing. Basically, it's you in your car vs a whole team of cops in their cars. No guns or anything, just you attempting to avoid getting smashed and your car totaled for as long as possible, weaving through traffic and around obstacles. Secondly, about 15 years before it became common place, the game had the ability to save replays of your best moments. You couldn't save more than maybe a few minutes, but that was OK as you weren't likely to last more than a minute or two on average. I can't tell you how much time my buddy and I spent just passing the controller back and forth, trying to get the best score.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

Right. I came here to post actual content

Driver (PS1) Came up in the other thread and it reminded me of some of my favorite gameplay experiences. Firstly, there was an evade the cops mini game for each level, a few years before GTA3 was ever a thing. Basically, it's you in your car vs a whole team of cops in their cars. No guns or anything, just you attempting to avoid getting smashed and your car totaled for as long as possible, weaving through traffic and around obstacles. Secondly, about 15 years before it became common place, the game had the ability to save replays of your best moments. You couldn't save more than maybe a few minutes, but that was OK as you weren't likely to last more than a minute or two on average. I can't tell you how much time my buddy and I spent just passing the controller back and forth, trying to get the best score.

Funny because I just responded to you about this in that very thread but the coolest part about the replay was being able to edit it! Different angles, camera follow, etc. could turn any average pursuit into an exciting cinematic scene.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Aww, a cute characterisation thing for the Doom Marine in Doom 2016 at the end of the level "I am Vega" - right before he overloads the mainframe, killing the AI, he actually bothers to back him up to a hard disk and put him safely in his pocket, as he knows it wasn't VEGA's fault that everything went to poo poo and that VEGA is doing his best to help him within his parameters. The scientists are either going hell crazy or trying to control you, but VEGA is just there to help and Doom Marine considers him an actual ally.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Doomguy isn’t someone who makes friends easily but he is extremely pleasant about assistance rendered

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fun thing is these guys look like this specifically outside the confines of Ichiban's imagination. There's also a part where you fight actual humanoid robots which don't change in appearance at all during the battle intros where the relatively ordinary-looking dudes suddenly become wacky villains explicitly in Ichiban's imagination. And that's not even getting into the sidequests.

Given how surreal the Yakuza/LAD games can get it's genuinely an open question a lot of the time how much Ichiban is imagining.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've now finished Doom. I like that in the present day Olivia Pearce has very little dialog. She gets a lot in the past, but in the present she only has 4 lines when actually in the world with you, that shows how distant she's become from humanity, and how far she is from being on the levels of the demons - she's now completely alone. She only has "You could not have saved them anyway...", "I will not be denied what I have been promised", "You will not stop this" and finally.... Simply "They promised me so much." The first 3 lines she's completely disconnected from the humans that she is hurting and is obsessing over what the demons have promised her, and the final one is simply her realising that she was screwed from the start. Even without the flashbacks and datalogs, those 4 lines would have told her entire arc.

It's also a great contrast to the other character who is desparate to explain himself and tries so hard to act like a good person.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Apr 5, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
GOW Ragnarok - There's no achievements or unlocks or goodies locked behind higher difficulties. You can see and do everything at any difficulty level. I like that.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've now finished Doom. I like that in the present day Olivia Pearce has very little dialog. She gets a lot in the past, but in the present she only has 4 lines when actually in the world with you, that shows how distant she's become from humanity, and how far she is from being on the levels of the demons - she's now completely alone. She only has "You could not have saved them anyway...", "I will not be denied what I have been promised", "You will not stop this" and finally.... Simply "They promised me so much." The first 3 lines she's completely disconnected from the humans that she is hurting and is obsessing over what the demons have promised her, and the final one is simply her realising that she was screwed from the start. Even without the flashbacks and datalogs, those 4 lines would have told her entire arc.

It's also a great contrast to the other character who is desparate to explain himself and tries so hard to act like a good person.

Just wanted to say, I'd put down Doom a while back for some reason, but thanks to your posts I've jumped back into it. I forgot how much fun ripping and tearing was! Just murdered my way through the ruined Argent tower, on to the research facility now....

As for my favourite little thing, no need to worry about reloading - it's all about getting into the flow and running rings around the demons, no crouching behind cover or any of that rubbish. Definitely makes a change to slower paced shooters!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm not a huge MMO person - I've at least dabbled in a lot of them but never hit max level in anything except like, original Guild Wars, and the closest thing to something "hooking" me has been playing Fantasy Dress Up/Mahjong/Triple Triad in FFXIV. But I've been poking at modern WoW really casually with a new character after last playing it for a month or two in 2008 or 09, and something about it is kinda fun. There's some kind of inherent...weirdness about coming to an MMO this old and popular as a newcomer, everything is foreign and new in a way that I can't really explain well (although it seems like the kinda thing Tim Rogers could write a rambling twenty page essay about).

Plus the art direction is honestly really fun and reminds me of Joe Mad in a good way. The 'new'(?) zones tend to be very pretty, too - stuff like the butterflies flying around the troll temples really make the world pop despite the relatively (thankfully, for my PC) low-poly graphics.

I don't know, I really signed up on a whim but I've ended up really digging it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I honestly adored coming back to classic wow, the music alone was so evocative.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I don't see Kiryu shooting the gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDt690OlJkk
Something something gangland execution in the middle of a street in the day something something rubber bullets
Also just stabbing people in the guts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_re1YCdgdE

Croccers has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Apr 8, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The game is called Scarlet Tower, which sounds like a euphemism, and this guy's arm is definitely an erection.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Motherfucker, it's been three years, the mask needs to cover your mouth AND NOSE.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nobody crosses the dicknose sorcerer!

I just realized that the proportions on that dude are hosed up in a Liefeldian sense. How long is his right bicep?!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Been trying out Mechwarrior 5, since I really liked 3 as a kid.

And it's just so adorable how the mechs bounce and shimmy as they run around, like excited, awkward puppies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warhammer: Total War 3, on the Chaos Dwarfs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Warhammer: Total War 3, on the Chaos Dwarfs

Nothing so complicated, it's merely a cymbal of office.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SubNat posted:

Been trying out Mechwarrior 5, since I really liked 3 as a kid.

And it's just so adorable how the mechs bounce and shimmy as they run around, like excited, awkward puppies.

Watching a battlemech ragdoll on death is loving hilarious.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

credburn posted:

The game is called Scarlet Tower, which sounds like a euphemism, and this guy's arm is definitely an erection.

i played this one and nomad recently and one thing stood out. in one of them, you get almost all your gems automatically, and in the other, you have to chase them down. i think you kinda need both gem pressure and death pressure for satisfying gameplay.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
It's not really a "little" thing, but the soundtrack for Wasteland 3 is really good and almost every song has a moment where you think "wait, this is a cover of that?" The first battle song you hear is the creepy-rear end "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeHwhLPKz8 ). When you get a vehicle, you can randomly pick up songs on the radio. Nearly every one of them is a cover of an old tv theme song, like "WKRP In Cincinnati" as a twangy country song ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3gqI5etAw ). When you open fire on the Gippers (the only option when you meet them, IMO), you get a version of "America the Beautiful" that I can only describe as "a wedding band at the end of the reception" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Xp4tlm28c ). I'm not going to link any more, but there are covers of "Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Wang Chung)" and "Land of Confusion" and "The Monster Mash" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and none of them are out of place when they show up. Some are surprisingly good as a completely different genre.

The person responsible is Mary Ramos and she did an amazing job as the music supervisor for Wasteland 3, and I try to mention her name whenever I bring up how good the soundtrack is. She was also the music supervisor for a ton of movies (lots of Tarantino, including his best one, Jackie Brown).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Apr 12, 2023

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

beats for junkies posted:

It's not really a "little" thing, but the soundtrack for Wasteland 3 is really good and almost every song has a moment where you think "wait, this is a cover of that?" The first battle song you hear is the creepy-rear end "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeHwhLPKz8 ). When you get a vehicle, you can randomly pick up songs on the radio. Nearly every one of them is a cover of an old tv theme song, like "WKRP In Cincinnati" as a twangy country song ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3gqI5etAw ). When you open fire on the Gippers (the only option when you meet them, IMO), you get a version of "America the Beautiful" that I can only describe as "a wedding band at the end of the reception" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Xp4tlm28c ). I'm not going to link any more, but there are covers of "Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Wang Chung)" and "Land of Confusion" and "The Monster Mash" and "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and none of them are out of place when they show up. Some are surprisingly good as a completely different genre.

The person responsible is Mary Ramos and she did an amazing job as the music supervisor for Wasteland 3, and I try to mention her name whenever I bring up how good the soundtrack is. She was also the music supervisor for a ton of movies (lots of Tarantino, including his best one, Jackie Brown).

100% agree, those songs popping in at perfect moments really elevated the game.

My favorite was when "Down in the Valley" (https://youtu.be/uPGmQS0LzpA) played during the encounter with the teens in the park. It really set a mood of an ugly situation getting even uglier.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

beats for junkies posted:

Makes me really want to give WL3 another shot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I felt so overwhelmed by Wasteland 3's opening. I remember how important min-maxing was in Wasteland 2; Wasteland 3 is like, Here are seventy skills, you must specialize in two!* I don't know what kind of NPCs I will meet, who will join my party, etc. It's very stressful :(

*that's an exaggeration, of course, but it's a lot

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Not directly related (I do want to play WL3 at some point though since I'm one of the people who enjoyed 2 as well) but youtube videos in the middle of text get a bit wacky if you have embeds on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

credburn posted:

I felt so overwhelmed by Wasteland 3's opening. I remember how important min-maxing was in Wasteland 2; Wasteland 3 is like, Here are seventy skills, you must specialize in two!* I don't know what kind of NPCs I will meet, who will join my party, etc. It's very stressful :(

Just Cheat It Up :cool:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In RE4 Remake, when walking through the quarry, you can hear snoring. Wouldn't have noticed it if not for closed captioning, and is nice foreshadowing for when you fight the gigante later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

In RE4 Remake, when walking through the quarry, you can hear snoring. Wouldn't have noticed it if not for closed captioning, and is nice foreshadowing for when you fight the gigante later.

It's quiet enough that I didn't catch it until my second run, it's a cute little touch.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

That was part of the reason I bounced off the game. You are given a wall of skills and abilities to pick from, and there isn't a good indication what is/isn't worthwhile.

Also I had a combat thing pop off in that town when almost all of the team was running far behind the leader so when it started it was 6 guys opening up on the only person like it was the beginning of robocop.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

credburn posted:

I wanna say it's an rpg with emphasis on the RP. But snark aside it is kind of a bummer that this is the typical feeling when shown such a big list of skills. I do the same thing.

Only RPG that ever threw a wall of decisions at me early but didn't feel overwhelming was Pillars of Eternity II. But that game is also fantastically balanced.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
It just seemed how in Wasteland 2 it was like, this is The Lockpicking Guy, and this is The Toaster Guy, and this is the Smartass Guy and it was 100% a waste to allocate those skills to anyone else who wasn't the designated party member to use that particular skill.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

It just seemed how in Wasteland 2 it was like, this is The Lockpicking Guy, and this is The Toaster Guy, and this is the Smartass Guy and it was 100% a waste to allocate those skills to anyone else who wasn't the designated party member to use that particular skill.

3 isn't as bad about that as 2 was, but there are still a few trap skills tossed in there so you might want to read up on skills a little unless you just do what I did and turn the difficulty down a li'l and just bumble through without worrying too much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started replaying the original Bayonetta and love the designs of the Angel bosses, particularly how you strip their beauteous armour away as the fight progresses to reveal the weird mass of flesh and eyes beneath the literal mask.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I liked Wasteland 3 when it showed up on Xbox Gamepass. Made it through this wicked fight through a whole town only for the boss not to open the door. Went back to an old save and did it again same problem. Older save, same problem. Older save, same problem and I deleted it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Kanfy posted:

Not directly related (I do want to play WL3 at some point though since I'm one of the people who enjoyed 2 as well) but youtube videos in the middle of text get a bit wacky if you have embeds on.

lol, sorry, I'll remember to put the link in a new line next time. Someone mentioned "Down in the Valley to Pray" as a highlight, and it is great. The problem is that it's locked behind (IMO) the worst outcome for that particular encounter, so I didn't even know it existed until a friend said something like "that song in the Garden for <doing bad thing> was pretty good" and my response was "You did what? What song was it?" It only took me a few lines to recognize it as a song that was in "O Brother Where Art Thou," just with a valley instead of a river. There's a choral version that plays at the Patriarch's palace, too (performed by the Fort Bend Boys Choir of Texas, who also did "Is Buchanan A Man?" and probably any other choral songs in the game).

It feels like the big encounters in Wasteland 3 are an evolution of the "wait, this is that song? that's great!" moment from probably my favorite scene in Wasteland 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3jbGF-DlAM
Sorry about the quality and French subtitles; it's the first video I saw that just had the thing happen, without someone laughing or talking over it. If you didn't/won't play WL2: the guy dedicating the song at the beginning is the main antagonist who you're trying to kill. Like all the WL3 songs, it lands a lot better without the video title spoiling the reveal. When that chorus hit my first time through the game, I burst out laughing for a good minute or two.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Apr 13, 2023

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Didn't know this happened in Breath of the Wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ0UnX5-V-o

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BurningBeard posted:

I wanna say it's an rpg with emphasis on the RP. But snark aside it is kind of a bummer that this is the typical feeling when shown such a big list of skills. I do the same thing.

Only RPG that ever threw a wall of decisions at me early but didn't feel overwhelming was Pillars of Eternity II. But that game is also fantastically balanced.

Scarlet Hollow does this the best as a CYOA/VN kinda game where you have just seven skills to pick from at the start and each of them has significant content behind it, but you can only pick two of them.
You don't level up, you just have them.

Way better than the "level up time, time to put points into the same things I was always going to put points in since the start of the game' system.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Scarlet Hollow does this the best as a CYOA/VN kinda game where you have just seven skills to pick from at the start and each of them has significant content behind it, but you can only pick two of them.
You don't level up, you just have them.

Way better than the "level up time, time to put points into the same things I was always going to put points in since the start of the game' system.

Is this pc only? It looks awesome. Right up there with Road Warden in terms of narrative games I'm interested in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's great! I like her webcomic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the secret fights in Bayonetta, now that I'm bothering to go back and find them. They are harder remixes of the level's existing enemy types and some of them give items (if the Alfheim portals) or extra halos if the normal ones that are just for backtracking/exploring in certain areas.